Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White Male Privilege

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

Everything that has ever gone wrong with my life is the fault of the British.

They ruined Ireland and everyone in it. We're still picking up the pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Ok engineerbrah, maybe what you say is true. Let's look further afield.

I used to live in Korea. Koreans show obvious favoritism towards white foreigners. In comparison black, Indian or South-East Asian people are treated like dirt. A lot of schools hiring English teachers would have an imcompetent white teacher over a competent black teacher.

Or go to Bolivia, a country with a indigenous majority but which didn't have a native president until 2002.

So yes, white privilege can apply in countries without white majorities.

Does all this privilege stuff just apply to whites worldwide?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Does all this privilege stuff just apply to whites worldwide?

Obviously there are other examples- Arabs are privileged above others in Dubai, Asians are privileged in their native countries in Asia, etc. But in general, I doubt there's any race that gets as good a deal as white people.

Should I feel bad about this? No, I didnt personally do anything to bring the situation about. But I should at least acknowledge it.

Obviously there are other examples- Arabs are privileged above others in Dubai, Asians are privileged in their native countries in Asia, etc. But in general, I doubt there's any race that gets as good a deal as white people.

Should I feel bad about this? No, I didnt personally do anything to bring the situation about. But I should at least acknowledge it.

Would there not be more Asians than Whites in the world so they are probably the most privileged?

Would there not be more Asians than Whites in the world so they are probably the most privileged?

No, because the world wasn't historically dominated by Asians up until a few decades ago.

• Advertisement

No, because the world wasn't historically dominated by Asians up until a few decades ago.

You mean the British Empire?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

I think privilege is an interesting construct and it seems useful. It is context dependent though. So where as 'white male' privilege may be something very real and powerful it is a of lot less use in Ireland where up until quite recently we were pretty much all white. Also as I understand privilege is less about the overt examples of discrimination that separate people but rather subtle differences in how individuals experience life. For instance in Ireland a good example would be settled vs traveller privilege, one privilege would be being able to talk without everyone around you expecting a caravan to be nearby. Thats obviously fairly flippant but we know what goes along with such assumptions all too often.

You mean the British Empire?

Among others. The two global superpowers after the decline of colonialism were also predominantly white societies.

I'm not sure where your questions are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,115 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I had a boss in a small businessbusiness who told me straight out that he would prefer if he could just employ white men. It was in the UK so I wasn't sure if he was pointing the comment at me as a foreigner or not. Myself and another fella were in charge of hiring so we would collect CVs. Whenever he saw a pile of CVs he would go through it and throw out the women and Asian sounding names.

We had a couple of women and Asians and they tended to be hired when we need someone immediately or the boss wasn't around for a few days.

It's only anecdotal evidence but that guy was open about it because he was fairly stupid as a human.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,970 ✭✭✭✭bnt

'Cisgender'? So there's a label on being born a woman and not wanting to have a sex change now? What's disturbing is that someone knows all these hip terms but has no idea how to use 'AKA' in a sentence.
    The term doesn't just apply to women, you know? Applying a label to something that shouldn't need a label is an attempt to equalise everyone's status, to make every choice or status OK and not privilege one over the other. Well, I'm OK with the reality, and think that everyone has a right to do whatever makes them happy, as long as it doesn't negatively impact anyone else. I just wish they didn't have to mangle the language in the process. :o

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

I had a boss in a small businessbusiness who told me straight out that he would prefer if he could just employ white men. It was in the UK so I wasn't sure if he was pointing the comment at me as a foreigner or not. Myself and another fella were in charge of hiring so we would collect CVs. Whenever he saw a pile of CVs he would go through it and throw out the women and Asian sounding names.

We had a couple of women and Asians and they tended to be hired when we need someone immediately or the boss wasn't around for a few days.

It's only anecdotal evidence but that guy was open about it because he was fairly stupid as a human.

Not sure how anecdotal evidence of a sexist bigot validates the idea of white male privilege. Its about a valuable as my recounting about an utterly sexist (very anti men hiring and promotion) organisation I once worked for

• Registered Users Posts: 20,115 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

tritium wrote: »
    Not sure how anecdotal evidence of a sexist bigot validates the idea of male privilege. Its about a valuable as my recounting about an utterly sexist (very anti men hiring and promotion) organisation I once worked for

Exactly as relevant. They don't cancel each other out they build on each other.

This is a very strange conversation. Everyone seems to notionally want equality but they just keep countering each other as if it's OK that there's an anti women boss if there's an anti men boss too. That's equality in a sense but it's not what I mean when I say equality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Like imagine the majority of presidents, world leaders, bosses, CEOs managers, principals, judges, bankers and every other major powerful position in the world were mostly filled by women.

Cushions... cushions, everywhere... as far as the eye can see... the horror...the horror...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Ugh and she's so good looking, what a pain you'd have to listen to her :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Cry me a river.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Why wouldn't white people hold most of the power positions in countries that are predominantly white? Nation states are supposed to represent the ethnicity they consist of.

Go to Ghana or Saudi Arabia and see how far your 'white privilege' takes you.

The whole concept of white privilege is leftist nonsense.

Exactly; white western males are perceived as being the most privileged by other white people who live in the same countries. Let those spouting white privilege go to countries where there are far less white males and see how privileged the white males are in that country.

Any perceived privilege westerners have over Africans is created by nature; FFS the continent of Africa is barely fit for habitation by humans given the extreme heat! The only way to correct the imbalance would be to change the climate or else people in Africa will have to move continents. It's a relative privilege for anybody, regardless of race, to not be living in the hell hole that is Africa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

This is a very strange conversation. Everyone seems to notionally want equality but they just keep countering each other as if it's OK that there's an anti women boss if there's an anti men boss too. That's equality in a sense but it's not what I mean when I say equality.
    Ya it is really strange - it's like when someone is accused of bad behaviour in some form, and then they try to deflect that by calling the accuser a hypocrite - which, even if true, still doesn't negate the bad behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Any perceived privilege westerners have over Africans is created by nature; FFS the continent of Africa is barely fit for habitation by humans given the extreme heat! The only way to correct the imbalance would be to change the climate or else people in Africa will have to move continents. It's a relative privilege for anybody, regardless of race, to not be living in the hell hole that is Africa.
    Yea the way people talk about it, you'd think predominantly white countries would have been capturing black folk in Africa, and shipping them off to white countries as slave labour, for generations - as if there's been a long history of colonialism, imperialism or even modern-day corporate exploitation in Africa - leaving the place a mess politically/economically.

No, what nonsense - it's just the climate/weather.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

It is a little ironic given that the birth of this term was in the United States in an effort to emotionally guilt trip white people when talking about race especially regarding African Americans, when the African American population is the most wealthy and successful African population anywhere in the world. Perhaps they should use the term 'American privilege' rather then white male privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

No, go to China or Korea and see yourself being fawned over because of your white features.

• Advertisement

Yea the way people talk about it, you'd think predominantly white countries would have been capturing black folk in Africa, and shipping them off to white countries as slave labour, for generations - as if there's been a long history of colonialism, imperialism or even modern-day corporate exploitation in Africa - leaving the place a mess politically/economically.

No, what nonsense - it's just the climate/weather.

Also doesn't seem to realise that Africa is a continent, with a huge diversity of cultures and levels of wealth. It's not one homogeneous 'hell-hole'. I've seen enormous wealth in Africa, as well as horrific poverty.

Exactly; white western males are perceived as being the most privileged by other white people who live in the same countries. Let those spouting white privilege go to countries where there are far less white males and see how privileged the white males are in that country.

Thats not true. The people who live in the very hot places in africa are mostly arab. i.e. deserts of North africa. The majority of black people in africa who are the poorest live in places that are very tropical with moist climates. like Central africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The suicide stat is misleading. More women attempt suicide but more men succeed. This is because women generally choose methods with a higher failure rate. Men are naturally drawn to more reliable ways such as gunshot etc.
    With women, it's often as a cry for help in a place where they'll be found.

With the dude, it's pretty much instant, and either the body is never found, or found a few days later still hanging from the tree.

jank wrote: »
    It is a little ironic given that the birth of this term was in the United States in an effort to emotionally guilt trip white people when talking about race especially regarding African Americans, when the African American population is the most wealthy and successful African population anywhere in the world. Perhaps they should use the term 'American privilege' rather then white male privilege.

Its not exactly hard to be among the richest group of africans considering the state of the poverty their ethnic group suffers in africa, south america and the caribbean

While whites are wealthy no matter where they are in the world. Europe, North and south america, oceania, and even in african nations. Coincidence? hmm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Its not exactly hard to be among the richest group of africans considering the state of the poverty their ethnic group suffers in africa, south america and the caribbean

While whites are wealthy no matter where they are in the world. Europe, North and south america, oceania, and even in african nations. Coincidence? hmm

Well we are then talking about Western Civilisation, not race. Western civilisation is the defacto ruler of the world now with other world regions trying to catch up, see Asia for example.

The issue of European migration and colonisation is a grey one. Its not true that it was manifest destiny but its not true either of evil white people killing the natives. The era of white exploration migration and colonisation was both good and bad. For regions and people that have been able to adapt to the western model they have thrived, see Singapore and Hong Kong for example or South Korea, Japan and Taiwan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

No, go to China or Korea and see yourself being fawned over because of your white features.

Rural Chinese will be curious about you because you're the first foreigner they've seen that isn't from the TV or a newspaper. Urban Chinese in Beijing or Shanghai don't give a hoot about you.

Korea can be a very xenophobic place, and while you're higher up the ladder than an African or Indian on their perception you're still ultimately a waegukin and sit outside their nice orderly monolothic cultural framework. Plenty of discriminatory practices in place in Korea if you're a foreigner, and it doesn't matter much if you're white or not, you'll still get the waegukin treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

This is a very strange conversation. Everyone seems to notionally want equality but they just keep countering each other as if it's OK that there's an anti women boss if therbe's an anti men boss too. That's equality in a sense but it's not what I mean when I say equality.

Of course they build on each other, there's enough bigotry in this life for everyone.

Strange conversation indeed. Posters try to show that many white men don't exactly have privilege and get accused of raising the misery bar. You're right its not a concept of equality we should be comfortable with though, which makes you wonder why we focus so much on only one side of the coin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

The girl in the OP's video is doing a women's studies degree, so I guess I can't fully blame here for being completely brainwashed.

Every SJW I've ever known has been a loser.
    -They are poor because of poor life choices + no knowledge of economics... so they blame rich people.
    -They can't get a job with their women's studies degree... so they blame the "patriarchy".
    -They can't distinguish themselves from others on their own merits... so they invent terms to describe themselves
    etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

white male privilege exists because white males invented everything* for the last few centuries.

*(everything except the george foreman grill)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Robroy36

white male privilege exists because white males invented everything* for the last few centuries.

*(everything except the george foreman grill)

Foreman only promoted the grill, Michael Boehm invented it.

Advertisement