Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White Male Privilege

Options
  • 08-05-2015 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Do you think it's real? Just because you're a man and white life is so much easier? This topic is probably more visible in America (if it exists at all) than in Ireland. To be honest, these days it feels like there is so much support and encouragement for women than there is men. After all, isn't mostly men who commit suicide? For the record I live in a tiny box studio apartment and it really doesn't feel privilege all.

Here is a more detailed explanation of white male privilege (explained by a feminist)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdjrA2Jy9UQ
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

No. No. No.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

There's nothing Social or Fun about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

...........explained by a feminist

Stopped reading right here.

Click bait is obvious click bait.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭AlphaRed

AKW wrote: »
    There's nothing Social or Fun about this.

About your thread? Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭KilOit

hate videos that have micro cuts, any video i see it in the person is usually some loud mouth twat that love to listen to themselves waffle on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭When the Sun Hits

The suicide stat is misleading. More women attempt suicide but more men succeed. This is because women generally choose methods with a higher failure rate. Men are naturally drawn to more reliable ways such as gunshot etc.

Also, no good will come of this thread. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Dizregarden das wenchling.

as she sits in her room of bricks built by the hand of der white herren.
    und using eine whitemankomputer.

ungrateful unterfrau. I will slap her face wis meine bratwurst.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Privilege as used by SJWs, is a bullsh!t concept designed to invalidate somebody's opinions, or justify double standards purely based on their demographic.

Using "white male privilege" to either shut somebody up or justify treating them differently is literally the definition of both racism and sexism. It's discrimination based on nothing other than the demographic somebody happened to be born into, and I for one find it sickening that it's gaining so much traction lately as a legitimate debating tactic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

White male privilege probably does exist if you are one of the tiny minority who come from a wealthy, well connected family. As for the other 99.9% its a load of crap.

Eta the women of those families do a lot better than the average white man too so maybe it's a financial privilege rather that a gender or race one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

The suicide stat is misleading. More women attempt suicide but more men succeed. This is because women generally choose methods with a higher failure rate. Men are naturally drawn to more reliable ways such as gunshot etc.

Also, no good will come of this thread. :pac:
    The Male stats are missing hundreds of in car suicides

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

all those men who died/were permanently injured in industrial work weren't using their privilege correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

All I can gather about privilege is that people are always ordering others to check theirs. 'Check your privilege' they'll say. So I guess whatever it is it's important. Or a flight risk. Maybe even both.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭tritium

eviltwin wrote: »
    White male privilege probably does exist if you are one of the tiny minority who come from a wealthy, well connected family. As for the other 99.9% its a load of crap.

This times 100000

And of course, under this we also have significant privilege for small but influential groups of women, African Americans, (don't even get me started on intersectionality), and just about every other group

Strangely enough its often these small privileged minorities within any group who lament most about how persecuted they are, in spite of having access to wealth, education and opportunity that the vast majority of the populace will never have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

AlphaRed wrote: »
    Do you think it's real? Just because you're a man and white life is so much easier? This topic is probably more visible in America (if it exists at all) than in Ireland. To be honest, these days it feels like there is so much support and encouragement for women than there is men. After all, isn't mostly men who commit suicide? For the record I live in a tiny box studio apartment and it really doesn't feel privilege all.

Here is a more detailed explanation of white male privilege (explained by a feminist)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdjrA2Jy9UQ

Being white and male doesn't mean your life will be fantastic, it just means it has the potential to be more fantastic than if you were say black/female/muslim/ insert any other 'oppressed' group

Like people often say 'black people aren't oppressed , if they were then why would the US president be black?' and same for angela merkel or other wealthy or powerful women/blacks, it doesn't mean people in these groups can't be in more privileged positions than you as a white male. The point is that the vast majority of people occupying privileged and powerful positions are white males.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

All I can gather about privilege is that people are always ordering others to check theirs. 'Check your privilege' they'll say. So I guess whatever it is it's important. Or a flight risk. Maybe even both.

It should be stored carefully in the overhead bins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Did you know that the population of the UK is 52% female? Its probably the same here, why? Cos men are driven to early graves by the policies of the .01% who are getting exponentially richer at our expense.

Its not a gender thing - its an us and them thing. Feminists are fighting the wrong war. They used to fight the correct one back in the 70s but now they are obsessed by the politics of that chromosome to the exclusion of everything else.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

It's a question of perspective more than anything else, I think.

We live in a country on a continent with mostly homogenously white populations. The vast majority of people we interact with on a day-to-day basis are white. So of course we wouldn't consider it a privilege being white.

I think male privilege is definitely nowhere near as pronounced as it was even some 20 years ago when I first started working. The playing field seems to even out slowly in that respect.

But where skin colour is concerned - ask yourself if you honestly think your life would have been the same if your skin was darker than it actually is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Time travel to the past is exclusively a white male privilege.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I think everyone who gives out about privilege are secretly grateful that the natural leaders and innovators are in charge.

The irony is that if they took responsibility for themselves and educated themselves in the Classical Western tradition which has birthed and nurtured our modern civilisation then they wouldn't be bellyaching half as much because they would learn the importance of taking responsibility rather than demanding rights with no responsibility, and that is their downfall.

They demand freedom and then they complain when they are free.

What is to be done!?

• Advertisement

Did you know that the population of the UK is 52% female? Its probably the same here, why? Cos men are driven to early graves by the policies of the .01% who are getting exponentially richer at our expense.

Its not a gender thing - its an us and them thing. Feminists are fighting the wrong war. They used to fight the correct one back in the 70s but now they are obsessed by the politics of that chromosome to the exclusion of everything else.

I used to think this but then I heard a quote a while ago that was something along the lines of, 'the world that many men fear is a world where females occupy the roles and live the lives that men occupy at present'
    And while I think saying women, well western women, are 'oppressed' is a completely false exaggeration it just made me think about how different the world would be if that quote were true. Like imagine the majority of presidents, world leaders, bosses, CEOs managers, principals, judges, bankers and every other major powerful position in the world were mostly filled by women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Shenshen wrote: »
    But where skin colour is concerned - ask yourself if you honestly think your life would have been the same if your skin was darker than it actually is.

The ladies seem to think it's be better, the amount spent on fake tan is astronomical

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Like people often say 'black people aren't oppressed , if they were then why would the US president be black?' and same for angela merkel or other wealthy or powerful women/blacks, it doesn't mean people in these groups can't be in more privileged positions than you as a white male. The point is that the vast majority of people occupying privileged and powerful positions are white males.

Those men and their advantageous position doesn't mean squat for an average man though just like Obama's presidency hasn't any real benefits for the average black man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

You have to wonder about the precious middle class hipsters who are so brainwashed with this made up guilt complex about having a fairly easy, stress free life whilst simultaneously being white &/or male.

It's like they have their own equivalent to transgenderism, except in this case it's a persecuted, sallow skinned minority just wanting to burst out of that pale, pasty aryan body they're trapped in. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,015 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Eta the women of those families do a lot better than the average white man too so maybe it's a financial privilege rather that a gender or race one

Socioeconomic status is definitely a factor. If you go for a job interview and speak with a middle class accent, you're more likely to get the job than if you speak with a working class accent. That much isn't controversial.

In interview situations it's also not controversial that we tend to ascribe positive attributes to to taller people, dominant people, broad shouldered people. Those 3 attributes are more likely to be possessed by men than women.

When men are good looking people ascribe all the positive personality traits to them. When women are good looking people ascribe the qualities of coldness and backstabbing.

It's built into our psychology. I don't know why it's there but to deny it's existence is the hallmark of the self-unaware moron.

bb1234567 wrote: »
    And while I think saying women, well western women, are 'oppressed' is a completely false exaggeration it just made me think about how different the world would be if that quote were true. Like imagine the majority of presidents, world leaders, bosses, CEOs managers, principals, judges, bankers and every other major powerful position in the world were mostly filled by women.

Don't think the world would really be all that different tbh. Interestingly, and this is just my own experience, most guys I know have absolutely no hangups about and tend to get on very well with both woman colleagues and woman superiors at work or in teams - however, I know a lot of women who despise working for other women.

I'm not sure if the reverse is true - that a lot of men despise working for other men? Is this a thing? I couldn't really care less about someone's gender or other demographic attributes as long as they're not an asshole.

When women are good looking people ascribe the qualities of coldness and backstabbing.

Wait what? :confused:

Most beautiful woman I know also happens to be the nicest woman I know, I've certainly never ascribed negative personality traits to a woman based on her being physically attractive O_o

Am I unusual or is your argument balls? :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Being rich and well connected is what gives you privilege.

In the US most rich people are white. WASP.

OJ Simpson walked while 'poor white trash' still go to prison.

In the days after 9/11 most planes were grounded. But the Bin Laden family was allowed fly out because they were business associates of the Bushes. No conspiracy, just a reflection that rich people don't have to follow the same rules as the plebs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,015 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Wait what? :confused:

Most beautiful woman I know also happens to be the nicest woman I know, I've certainly never ascribed negative personality traits to a woman based on her being physically attractive O_o

Am I unusual or is your argument balls? :p

I'm talking about research relating to job interviews.

Look up the research for yourself

Advertisement