Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White Male Privilege

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

As a white male , yes, absolutely it does exist. Those who claim it doesn't generally have a poor understanding of what is meant by it, in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,436 ✭✭✭tritium

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Like people often say 'black people aren't oppressed , if they were then why would the US president be black?' and same for angela merkel or other wealthy or powerful women/blacks, it doesn't mean people in these groups can't be in more privileged positions than you as a white male. The point is that the vast majority of people occupying privileged and powerful positions are white males.

And yet the vast majority of white males don't occupy priveliged and powerful positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

tritium wrote: »
    And yet the vast majority of white males don't occupy priveliged and powerful positions.

See this is the kind of stupid nonsense that people trot out here.

If you can't see why the above post is dumb on your own, there is no hope for you, and I won't provide false hope by bothering to explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Ability trumps race every time. The prejudiced argument is a convenient cop out. Have a read about Roland Fryer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,562 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Being a heterosexual white cis-gender male mightn't confer any advantages in and of itself but it does reduce the likelihood of experiencing prejudice. Where the privilege nonsense falls apart is that any Westerner is privileged based on our access to technology, quality of life, place in the queue for resources, etc... So, in the SJW's heavily flawed logic, the only people entitled to have opinions on equality are poverty stricken, bisexual, trans-gender women with extremely severe disabilities in the Congo. Everyone else's is irrelevant, including that of the SJW.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

So let me get this straight....You have a feminist woman, who is mixed raced, going on about "white men"
    Utter utter shite. She should go to the arse end of Africa where people are starving to death and start talking about how white men are more privileged than herself.

She's living in her own bubble with a camera and access to youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I am privileged because I am a white heterosexual male. To claim otherwise would be nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

It's real in America and in South Africa. Definitely. True for men in Muslim countries.

I think in the UK it's more about upper class male privilege, and THAT is very real. There are some clubs here or social circles you are more likely to be invited into if you are Irish and male.

People think or men think that this is negating their personal pain or struggle or their struggle as men. It's doesn't. It just means CERTAIN things. It does not mean I don't sympathize with genuine issues or personal struggle at all.

I do see it here with the Abortion debates. I mean come on the legislation is largely men ..you can't tell me that did not affect the fact that waiting for legislation on whether a woman who is suicidal can have an abortion or not. And that in and of itself is influenced by the church with is full of white SINGLE men.

It does not feel like privilege if you have always had it.

You could call lack of paternity leave ...female privilege ..they have it in sweden ...one of the most female friendly countries.

I believe most men are predisposed in their hearts and minds towards equality and see mainstream feminism as being so too. It's only on the net I see men say otherwise. It's only on the net I see extreme feminists.

I have certain privilege.... it changes according to perceptions of me ....or where i am etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

I wouldnt say it doesnt exist but I do think there is a lot more to it than white male = privilege. In some countries white people are nowhere near privileged and in others its more about class. A woman working in a university with a phd in gender studies is a lot more privileged than a lot of white males.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,436 ✭✭✭tritium

See this is the kind of stupid nonsense that people trot out here.

If you can't see why the above post is dumb on your own, there is no hope for you, and I won't provide false hope by bothering to explain.

With such a well thought out and cogent argument on your part how could you possibly be wrong!

but you are!

While you might like to indulge in guilt about being a white male I'm afraid you don't get to inflict that guilt on ever other white male. Since you're so certain that you enjoy white privilege maybe you could explain how exactly that manifests. How exactly are you more privileged than say oh, Carly Fiorina or Hilary Clinton?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I'm talking about research relating to job interviews.

Look up the research for yourself

Ah, will do. Though I'm really not sure if you can apply the same criteria people use in interviews as you can to everyday social situations.

People think or men think that this is negating their personal pain or struggle or their struggle as men. It's doesn't. It just means CERTAIN things. It does not mean I don't sympathize with genuine issues or personal struggle at all.

The trouble is, SJWs use it as an excuse to invalidate literally anyone who discussed double standards against men or mens' rights, hence its toxic connotations. "You're privileged, stop whining", essentially.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,017 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I wouldnt say it doesnt exist but I do think there is a lot more to it than white male = privilege. In some countries white people are nowhere near privileged and in others its more about class. A woman working in a university with a phd in gender studies is a lot more privileged than a lot of white males.

There are loads of factors which influence how successful you're likely to be. Socioeconomic, class, education, area of birth, parents education, gender, race, age, attractiveness, ability to do the job.

Some factors are relevant such as education, behaviour and relevant experience. The thing is that we make judgements about people based on all the factors not just the relevant ones.

It can't be that hard to understand and pretending it doesn't exist is fairly ridiculous

Being a heterosexual white cis-gender male mightn't confer any advantages in and of itself but it does reduce the likelihood of experiencing prejudice.

Wholeheartedly disagree here. In the US under the Duluth model, cops assume any call about a domestic dispute involves a male perpetrator. You're far more likely to be labelled "creepy" if you're a man on your own walking through a park where kids are playing than if you're a woman doing the same. If people see a man and a woman having a heated argument, they're generally more likely to sympathise with and offer help to the woman. Etc.

Prejudice against men in general is everywhere in our society. Everywhere. And in my view, female privilege is being so blind to that, that some claim it doesn't exist at all. :rolleyes:

There are loads of factors which influence how successful you're likely to be. Socioeconomic, class, education, area of birth, parents education, gender, race, age, attractiveness, ability to do the job.

Some factors are relevant such as education, behaviour and relevant experience. The thing is that we make judgements about people based on all the factors not just the relevant ones.

It can't be that hard to understand and pretending it doesn't exist is fairly ridiculous

Men have unfair advantages in some areas and women have unfair advantages in other areas. All should be tackled and ended. But tallying up the number of double standards in favour and against, and assigning the words "privileged" and "oppressed" based on which group has even just marginally more of one than the other, is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Don't forget IQ Privilege. Can be attached to both males and females equally, but varies between races. So, if you have a higher IQ than average, through no fault of your own, you need to apologise for it, forever.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,562 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Wholeheartedly disagree here. In the US under the Duluth model, cops assume any call about a domestic dispute involves a male perpetrator. You're far more likely to be labelled "creepy" if you're a man on your own walking through a park where kids are playing than if you're a woman doing the same. If people see a man and a woman having a heated argument, they're generally more likely to sympathise with and offer help to the woman. Etc.

Prejudice against men in general is everywhere in our society. Everywhere. And in my view, female privilege is being so blind to that, that some claim it doesn't exist at all. :rolleyes:

I'm talking about the grand scheme of things. To be honest, I've a very low opinion of the US police given their propensity for gunning down black people.

Misandry certainly exists, it's just a much smaller problem than misogyny.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

bnt wrote: »
    Don't forget IQ Privilege. Can be attached to both males and females equally, but varies between races. So, if you have a higher IQ than average, through no fault of your own, you need to apologise for it, forever.

It can vary between races but how much of that is down to the portion of wealthy people who are white and can afford to pay for a much better education for their children.

H. H. Asquith

bnt wrote: »

Sums it up pretty well. The whole privilege angle is used in debates about inequality to guilt bomb some demographics into self-censorship, or failing that, shout them down. It's an utterly toxic ideology only used by people who are shooting for equality where they like it and the status quo everywhere else, under the guise of actually caring about others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Kinda fashionable to whinge about middle-class people (much of this whingeing being done by middle-class people themselves).

I get that we middle-class people have it good - wouldn't deny the privileges that come with it, and I'm grateful. But that doesn't mean it's fair game to sneer at us for not being "real" enough (or whatever nonsense lingo gets used).

I think this is the same principle that should get applied to privileged white males (and indeed females, in the West).

Men have unfair advantages in some areas and women have unfair advantages in other areas. All should be tackled and ended. But tallying up the number of double standards in favour and against, and assigning the words "privileged" and "oppressed" based on which group has even just marginally more of one than the other, is ridiculous.

You'll notice I used neither of those words.

What was your point?

I'm talking about the grand scheme of things.

So am I, but even if I wasn't, on the grand scheme of things both men and women face an appalling number of double standards, and both are as worthy of eachother of getting a new, fair deal.
    Misandry certainly exists, it's just a much smaller problem than misogyny.

In my opinion, the reverse is true. On what criteria are you making that claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

All I can gather about privilege is that people are always ordering others to check theirs. 'Check your privilege' they'll say

I firmly believe it's important to periodically check one's privilege in order to make sure its level is sufficient. Regular privilege maintenance really does not take very much time at all, but is an important part of today's hectic lifestyle.

You'll notice I used neither of those words.

What was your point?

My point was that male privilege doesn't exist in the way it's meant when a lot of people use it. Men do not have an overall better experience just because they're men, that's bullsh!t. They have a better experience with some aspects of life and a worse experience with others.

In my opinion, the reverse is true. On what criteria are you making that claim?

Well, most CEOs are men, men aren't punished professionally for choosing to start a family, there are countries where women are legally chattel and women have to deal with constantly being told what they should look like by the media.

Your criteria?

H. H. Asquith

My point was that male privilege doesn't exist in the way it's meant when a lot of people use it. Men do not have an overall better experience just because they're men, that's bullsh!t. They have a better experience with some aspects of life and a worse experience with others.

Oh I see. You didn't read or understand my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I love how my privilage lets me get on life boats first and how it lets me go and fight and die in other peoples wars

Well, most CEOs are men, men aren't punished professionally for choosing to start a family, there are countries where women are legally chattel and women have to deal with constantly being told what they should look like by the media.

Your criteria?

A teenage boy in this country is a rapist and his girlfriend a victim if they both have consensual sex while underaged.

Men are far more likely to get the short end of the stick in divorce settlements and custody issues.

A man must be living with the mother of his child for at least one year to get automatic parental rights, and up until this year no such rule existed. A woman, on the other hand, gets them automatically the moment her child is born.

Censorship agencies such as the BAI tolerate far more sexist adverts and sexist depictions of men in the media than they do of women before banning or calling for retractions.

As a man, according to society's very slowly changing standards, you are always expected to make the first move sexually but are open to being accused of being creepy or pervy for the crime of mis-interpreting someone or making a mistake.

Every domestic violence advert on TV, particularly those aimed at teenagers, depicts male abusers and female victims, or at best is gender neutral. If you are a male victim, the message is that you either don't exist or don't matter. If you are a woman, the message is that you can get away with a lot more before it counts as "abusive".

When men out perform women in something like politics or business, it's because of institutional sexism. But when girls are consistently out performing boys in school and university admissions, it's "progress", not sexism.

Have plenty more, but I don't want to rant :p

• Advertisement

So... this is about men vs women now then? I'll get my coat.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement