Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The random stuff thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Gollem packed to the rafters. Really considering buying another tram card as I'm staying dead centre (Victoria) and its all tourist traps around.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

You could try De Prael. Lots of people seem to like it though their beer is total Russian roulette to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

beer temple is worth the look. actually not sure of the prices but was given the recommendation from here before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

beer temple is worth the look. actually not sure of the prices but was given the recommendation from here before.

It's a bit pricey if you're going for American beers, they have some decent local stuff, was 2 years ago when I was in tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Try Cannibale Royale near Spui. It's really a burger bar, but they have a decent selection of craft beers. Or head to Westerfabriekpark for Brouwerij Troust. All walkable from city centre.

You don't necessarily have to buy a new chipkaart, just buy a daily ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

All tech coming up, don't like this paying for a taster

C5HN8lIW8AY9cWM.jpg

RasTa wrote: »
    don't like this paying for a taster
    Buy a pint then :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Didn't want to create a new thread for this, but can anyone tell me any shops where I can find 8 Degrees Sunburnt Red Ale in South Dublin City Centre? I've tried Tesco and Dunnes in Rathmines. All the Centra's near Camden Street, Fresh Camden Street, Dunnes George's street. I should have went to Deveney's when I was in Rathmines but I won't be up that way again for another few days.

Supervalu Aston Quay? Anywhere in Temple Bar? Thanks in advance.

Whelan's Off-licence on Wexford Street?

johnnykilo wrote: »
    Deveney's when I was in Rathmines
    Doesn't exist any more.
    Whelan's Off-licence on Wexford Street?
    Doesn't exist any more.

I don't think SuperValu Aston Quay has it. There's a possibility Tesco Fleet Street might. Stephen Street News maybe, or Spar at the bottom of George's Street. You might have to go all the way to Redmond's of Ranelagh or Baggot Street Wines, though.

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »
    Doesn't exist any more.

Hah, shows how long it's been since I've been up that way. Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Johnny Drama_11

Does anyone know where I can get loughgill cans in Dublin? Preferably on the northside!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Does anyone know where I can get loughgill cans in Dublin? Preferably on the northside!

Drink store I bet has some

Didn't get in to anywhere except my hotel bar in the end - city was far more packed than I'm used to at this time of year but my visits haven't hit the weekend after Valentines before and it seems that dragging your boyfriend around the Red Light on a look-but-do-not-touch basis is 'romantic' now :pac:

Back in June; spent half an hour looking for my chipkaart and only found my Dublin library card and my Nectar card. Think its probably expired now anyway, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Alltech festival this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Johnny Drama_11

Unfortunately wont make it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Wrong thread.

€1 a sample at alltech? Jesus, I'll be broke if stands actually enforce that in all cases - last year I had a few brewers go down the row of taps while chatting to them. Suspect having bought an actual proper size off them first might have helped and may still this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,497 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Thought there'd be a thread of its own about this, there's been so little mention of it I thought it wasn't on for another few weeks.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Overheard Conversations.

On hearing, "do you know the history of IPA?" my beer geek radar ears perked up, wondering how inaccurate the description would be. I never in a million years thought I'd hear the gem that I did.

"IPA was originally brewed to about 40%, shipped to india where it was diluted to make beer and other drinks and sodas"

You learn something new everyday:D

• Advertisement

Was someone reading that German nutters blog or books I wonder?

L1011 wrote: »
    Was someone reading that German nutters blog or books I wonder?
    Sounds like they're trying to out-Horst Horst. There should be a competition :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Anyone around town tomorrow, drop in to Alfie Byrne's in The Conrad for the National Homebrew Championship

Judging starts at about 10, then the medals will be handed out from about 6 onwards.

Always a cracking evening.

Always a cracking evening.
    Especially when you start drinking at 10am :pac:

Good luck contenders and, especially, judges.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Especially when you start drinking at 10am :pac:

Good luck contenders and, especially, judges.

nah, I'm not a judge, just a steward.

I abstained until a pint at lunch time, then I stewarded the BOS last year, so had a sip of all the Gold Medals :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

nah, I'm not a judge, just a steward.

I abstained until a pint at lunch time, then I stewarded the BOS last year, so had a sip of all the Gold Medals :D

You got any beers in the competition this year?

matrim wrote: »
    You got any beers in the competition this year?

Already won a bronze in Speciality IPA with a Black IPA made with Southern Hemisphere hops - some categories were already judged 2 weeks ago in the 13th Lock pub in Sallins. Gold in that Category was a 47/48 NEIPA, so I'm chuffed with that bronze. Apparently the standard and scores were high.

I had a Milk Chocolate Stout judged that day too that didn't medal.

I've an Irish Stout in tomorrow, and I won Gold in that in 2015, didn't medal last year, so hoping for one this year, although I think there's a touch too much chocolate malt in it and it's not dry enough to tick all the boxes. That said, it's a clean ferment with no off flavours, so we'll see. Irish Stout is a tough category though, usually largest or second largest behind IPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

May pop in for a look. See the results from the meads..

May pop in for a look. See the results from the meads..

The very first bottle on the Cider / Mead table exploded!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

The very first bottle on the Cider / Mead table exploded!

Oh dear! Thankfully I have nothing entered! Just down for a nose to see how some of the south dublin club do. Good crowd in so far.

Advertisement