Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The random stuff thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

A local pub is doing 'craft beer tastings' this weekend. Main event tonight is Rye River, all good. They sell the McGargles Pale and the Session IPA (rebadged as Lilywhites as it seems to be everywhere in Kildare) on different bars in the pub already and those seem to be what they're pushing. More intesting stuff in the range but I doubt they'd want Double Banging going around a bunch of students...

Saturday the 'craft beer' they have is Hophouse.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Wander around Barrio Alto, you'll find something.

I didn't really - Fado bars with just Super Bock mostly. Duque Brewpub a standout exception but it is tiny.

In Cerveteca Lisboa currently, semi suburban location and a decent range. Porto had a better selection I think

Last night in Lisbon, had an afternoon in Quimera which is in suburbia in what is basically Meath Street. In a former carriage house, setup not that unlike a normal Irish craft bar and drink prices to match - 6.50 for 586ml for all the draught. Food is cheaper than Ireland though and is decent enough - NY sandwich shop options.

Probably the best range on tap but bottle range is lacking compared to Ceveteca; however Cerveteca is awkward to get to and has very poor food options. For a city with **** all on Ratebeer, you should probably trust it - have usually found when there's limited listings they're useless. There's plenty listed here but most are 1 or 2 reviews tops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Beavertown sell out.

Fúck them guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Bot42 wrote: »
    Beavertown sell out.

Fúck them guys.

Gonna be a hape of breweries pulling out of their festival in September so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Gonna be a hape of breweries pulling out of their festival in September so.

I'm sure Logan Plant will be crying into his £40million.

I'm going to sit on the fence and see, if there's a noticeable dip in the quality of their beers I'll spend my money elsewhere.

I'm going to sit on the fence and see, if there's a noticeable dip in the quality of their beers I'll spend my money elsewhere.

I'm sure he's already doing his best scrooge mcduck impression in Daddy's money.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Beavertown sell out.

Fúck them guys.

Heineken ?

Sold entirely or just a stake ?

Details!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

listermint wrote: »
    Heineken ?

Sold entirely or just a stake ?

Details!!

Minority stake to Heineken. But they don't say want percentage.

Full statement is on their website

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I doubt that the £40 million goes into his account. It's to invest in expansion.

Also, if the £40 million is a minority share (highest case being 49%?), the company is valued at at least £80 million?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I doubt that the £40 million goes into his account. It's to invest in expansion.

Also, if the £40 million is a minority share (highest case being 49%?), the company is valued at at least £80 million?

Obviously, I'm just pointing out that he'll be hardly put out by some people boycotting them now.

When the Heineken practices of blocking taps continue, but now with Beavertown, it's a disgusting outcome. Standard of beer or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Not too bothered. Lagunitas still making nice stuff.

RasTa wrote: »
    Not too bothered. Lagunitas Heineken still making nice stuff.

Not too bothered. Lagunitas still making nice stuff.

There will be a difference in practice here.

When Lag was sold their distribution contracts in Europe stayed with the companies who already had them (Grand Cru for Ireland) which meant that Heineken Ireland and UK didn't get their hands on the products.

In this deal the brand becomes part of the Heiniken UK and Europe distribution portfolio and as a result will benefit from the same sketchy practices.

I expect to see a few Irish and International taps disappear with a Gama-Ray or Neck Oil to start popping up beside the Murphy's taps.

Might see it in spoons too. Already in Waitrose over here and they have fridge space

I expect to see a few Irish and International taps disappear with a Gama-Ray or Neck Oil to start popping up beside the Murphy's taps.

In a nutshell, this is the real issue.

"Man gets rich" doesn't bother me, "man gets rich but pretends it's in the interests of others" and lies about it, bothers me

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I'm sure he's already doing his best scrooge mcduck impression in Daddy's money.
    Logan was four when his parents divorced. He has basically no relationship with Robert Plant, and certainly not a commercial one.

Cloudwater & The Veil have pulled out of Extravaganza

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Cloudwater & The Veil have pulled out of Extravaganza

And BrewDog.

• Advertisement

Brewdog are so annoying. James watt statement pissed me off. Didn't they sell 22% to the same company that owns pabst?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Brewdog are so annoying. James watt statement pissed me off. Didn't they sell 22% to the same company that owns pabst?

They sold 22% to an investment company that owns a brand of beer, it's a long way away from selling a stake to a brewing conglomerate like Heineken which is actively anti-craft beer.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Logan was four when his parents divorced. He has basically no relationship with Robert Plant, and certainly not a commercial one.

Two years ago he gave an interview saying how touring with his dad when he was 18 was the biggest influence in his interest in ales. He's talked about his relationship with his dad a lot. To say they have basically no relationship is patently wrong.

irish_goat wrote: »
    They sold 22% to an investment company that owns a brand of beer, it's a long way away from selling a stake to a brewing conglomerate like Heineken which is actively anti-craft beer.

Pretty similar though, more ruthless one could argue with a private equity investor.

Haven't they raised enough with their shares pyramid scheme anyway?

Pretty similar though, more ruthless one could argue with a private equity investor.

Not really the same though. Investors just want profits, while generally not interfering. Heineken have a history of surpressing the competition, in particular craft breweries.

That said, if it’s good beer I’ll still drink it.

Having a debate with brewdog on twitter about alcohol into Ireland.

Is this the correct approach from the company?
    It’s not up to @BrewDog to pay the excise on those, it’s up to you as the person ordering to. Unfortunately this is part of EU law around personal importation of alcohol via mail �� excise doesn’t apply to personally carried imports, just ‘freighted’.
    It’s actually not, & it is an EUwide directive. You can carry as much alcohol as you like between eu states personally, but by mail/freight the recipient is always liable for the excise taxes. Sometimes your imports get through without stoppage, sometimes not, but all are liable.
    This document should help cover the entire explanation around the excise duty around alcohol by freight in the EU:

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/business/excise-duties-alcohol-tobacco-energy/excise-duties-alcohol_en
    We actually put it in our T&C’s of the service (http://brewdog.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/11000036007-will-i-need-to-pay-customs-fees-on-international-orders- …), & when we temporarily suspended fanzine to Ireland & our online store, many of our Irish EFP’s & those who bought from the store were very unhappy. We’d rather people were able to make an informed choice

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Nope. This is what they need to know:
    Revenue wrote:
    If you order alcohol from another European Union (EU) Member State (for example from a website), the seller in that country should establish a tax representative in Ireland to pay excise duty. If the seller does not do this, the product may be liable to be detained, seized and forfeited.

Revenue insists, for intra-EU shipments, that the taxes be paid before the goods move at all. They don't have a formal mechanism for consumers to pay on receipt: that's only for items coming from outside the EU.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Nope. This is what they need to know:

Revenue insists, for intra-EU shipments, that the taxes be paid before the goods move at all. They don't have a formal mechanism for consumers to pay on receipt: that's only for items coming from outside the EU.

Their response
    That’s on a commercial level & it’s more for VAT refund on the import taxes, it doesn’t apply to personal importation for personal consumption. We didn’t make the laws, but we do make people aware of their responsibilities with our T&C’s as we are obliged to.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Brewdog, like pretty much all online retailers are just plain wrong on this.

On a commercial level, almost all alcohol is shipped duty and vat suspended. It goes from one registered bonded warehouse to another bonded warehouse. Duty and vat is then paid on stock as it is removed from the second warehouse.

Their commercial level argument does not stack up.

• Advertisement

Having a debate with brewdog on twitter about alcohol into Ireland.

Why would it bother you?

Advertisement