Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The random stuff thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,502 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sitting here refreshing the Interlink page to see if my Master of Malt order turns up and is hence likely to arrive tomorrow - will need a backpack to carry it home. I feel like a kid on one of the 'santa tracker' sites, except the booze is real.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Hey Everyone

Mods I hope this is OK.

I write the Irishbeersnob blog and podcast and in conjunction with several UK bloggers and podcasters we are doing a charity fund raising for the Irish Cancer Society.

The premise is simple. Instead of abstaining simply drink your favourite beer and pledge the cost to Irish Cancer Society at the page below.

https://give.everydayhero.com/ie/big-beery-night-ireland

We've set a pretty modest target so if you can get involved that would be great.

Hey Everyone

Mods I hope this is OK.

I write the Irishbeersnob blog and podcast and in conjunction with several UK bloggers and podcasters we are doing a charity fund raising for the Irish Cancer Society.

The premise is simple. Instead of abstaining simply drink your favourite beer and pledge the cost to Irish Cancer Society at the page below.

https://give.everydayhero.com/ie/big-beery-night-ireland

We've set a pretty modest target so if you can get involved that would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 5dolla12

Links not working for me mate.

Fixed the link now. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 5dolla12

Sweet idea btw.

Thanks mate. Yeah the beauty is you can do it anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Great idea. I'll be contributing after work!

Thanks to all who donated - currently just short of €1000 page is open til the 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

sofireland wrote: »
    Thanks to all who donated - currently just short of €1000 page is open til the 1st

I'm out for a few in awhile I'll donate then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Craft beer weekend in Dun Laoghaire this month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

W40_PD_Thursday_New_IL_f95dc3c6b7.jpg

New in Aldi.

Hmmmm

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

What's the matter Taytoboy, afraid you might taste something?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

didn't want to throw this in the other thread nor want to name names. but there's a recently refurbished pub on the quays that has had the shutters pulled for the last two/three weeks. Prime location for the aforementioned Brewdog bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There was some beer tasting going on this morning on Ireland AM on tv3, nothing special think one was bitburger.

I can't find a link to it, but while searching found another video from saturday on craft beer, no idea if its any use.

http://www.tv3.ie/3player/show/799/98842/0/Saturday-AM

Had someone tell me with conviction that Clontarf 1014 10 year old and Bushmills 10 year old were the exact same product... despite the Clontarf one not stating it was a single malt which would suggest it isn't.

Did a non-scientific blind test there - tasting glasses, single shot of each, no adulterants. Was able to tell a distinct difference and still managed to get the answer wrong! To me, Clontarf is smoother tasting and Bush 10 more complex/marginally rougher but I'd not be willing to say either tastes "better".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

See Galway Bay and their Head Brewer Chris have parted company. I wonder where he's off to.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

pretty much anywhere, the world is his oyster stout pint :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I'd imagine he'll be producing his own stuff. Wonder who will take over in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Wonder who will take over in Galway.

Who ever it is they will have some big shoes to fill along with and expanding estate

• Advertisement

Maybe he's off to Kildare?

O Brother and Trouble are doing a collab, no details yet

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Maybe he's off to Kildare?

Going abroad apparently.

In Westport Quay. Hotel has Mescan Blonde and nothing else interesting and I've gone off blondes (ooh err, etc). They are promoting it quite heavily - its on the daily specials page of the menu and so on, nice to see some localism but its just too specific this time.

Anyone know if theres anywhere decent for a few beers in the town?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

O Brother and Trouble are doing a collab, no details yet

had this blood orange black ipa at the alltech and its on currently in pmacs. I think its lovely stuff

Got passed by a truck with Finians side curtains today. That must be near to ten years off the market now?

Was it actually brewed here or an imported contract like many other 'Irish' beers back in those days?

edit: quick Google told me it was, in Enfield. Wonder if the kit is in use elsewhere these days.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

That's one of Dean McGuinness's Premier International trucks. I think it's cool that they've kept the old Finian's branding on them. The kit is still in situ, dormant since about 2007. There has been talk of starting brewing again over the years but nothing concrete has materialised yet.

Supervalu Lucan sent out - I assume to more than just me - a voucher pack for their refurbishment (Again??) which includes one for a 2L growler + first fill for €10. Doesn't say what they have but theres something by Wicklow Wolf in the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

BaZmO* wrote: »
    See Galway Bay and their Head Brewer Chris have parted company. I wonder where he's off to.

I assume they'll still be able to produce the beers in their existing range without any drop in quality. Will they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Lucena wrote: »
    I assume they'll still be able to produce the beers in their existing range without any drop in quality. Will they?

Chris is of to Switzerland. To a Brewery in the alps. There is already a me head brewer at GGB

Advertisement