Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The random stuff thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

They post direct to Ireland so would hazard a guess they have their VAT sorted. Might have to pay the difference

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

RasTa wrote: »
    They post direct to Ireland so would hazard a guess they have their VAT sorted. Might have to pay the difference
    Excise duty too. And getting the customer to pay what's owed is how Revenue handles shipments from outside the EU. I don't think there's a workaround for EU firms that try to dodge Irish tax and duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

headed over the Berlin in september and may try get out to the Stone Brewery. Anyone ever been?

Other recommendations appreciated too of course.

edit:

Should've just used the search http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=98653603

Staying right beside Hopfenreich so that'll be the first one I hit.

Never had these beers, always like trying the American stuff
    From September 1st (with an exclusive launch night on the 31st of August), SweetWater brews will be sold right here in Ireland for the very first time. Not only is this the first time that SweetWater will be pouring in Ireland, but it’s the first time they will pour anywhere outside the US. We’re really excited to help SweetWater get their amazing 420 (Extra Pale Ale), IPA, Georgia Brown (Brown Ale) and Blue (blueberry infused ale) beers into pubs all over the Dublin area (to start with). As well as that, we’ll have SweetWater on draught at The Trinity Welcome Village at Trinity College Dublin from September 1st – 3rd – the official tailgating venue for this year’s Aer Lingus Classic, where college football teams Boston College and Georgie Tech will go head to head.

http://www.ryeriverbrewingco.com/sweetwater/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Never had these beers, always like trying the American stuff

http://www.ryeriverbrewingco.com/sweetwater/

Based in Atlanta, if you've ever flown through ATL airport it's all over the place there. Their 420 pale ale is lovely and their blueberry wheat ale is nice and refreshing on a hot day. I'm a fan. One of very few good things about flying through ATL.

• Advertisement

Also looking forward to trying this, out on Friday.

CqofckRWEAEhAUJ.jpg:large

Also looking forward to trying this, out on Friday.

hoping there will be some left the following friday in the salt house as I'll be hitting Galway.

I'm told there's "loads".

They have bottled it too

They have bottled it too

Ya just saw its in bottles in mchughs today.

• Advertisement

Just picked up 2, €4.50 in there. Can of that new Brewdog one as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 em

Has anyone ever gotten an parcel held for customs via parcel motel? I know parcel motel prohibit alcohol (bought some Brewdog stuff), but will I get away with a "don't do this again" if I plead ignorance?

It just happened to me...

May I ask how did it end for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,502 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You won't get the drink. If you try again and get caught again there may be issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭Blut2

Is it not a case that you can just pay the excise due & an admin fee and have it sent out to you? I've had non-alcohol items stopped by customs before and that was always the case. Would have thought it was likely to be the same with booze, but open to correction.

Blut2 wrote: »
    Is it not a case that you can just pay the excise due & an admin fee and have it sent out to you?
    Wouldn't have thought so. Shipping alcohol is against the terms of use of the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Is it not a case that you can just pay the excise due & an admin fee and have it sent out to you? I've had non-alcohol items stopped by customs before and that was always the case. Would have thought it was likely to be the same with booze, but open to correction.

I know people who got cigarettes stopped many years ago and they had the option to pay the excise and VAT on it, but it was so high they told them to keep/destroy/smoke;) them.

But this was regular post and not through PM who do say its against the rules.

You need an import licence. Which a consumer won't have and wouldn't have the volume to justify.

This is excise duty, not just customs.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Wouldn't have thought so. Shipping alcohol is against the terms of use of the service.

Sorry I should have clarified - I meant pay to customs, once PM have handed it over to them.

I was unaware that alcohol was against Parcel Motel's T&Cs so ordered some alcohol over from the UK last week. PM appear to have brought the parcel to Dublin no problems, but have now handed it over to customs. Waiting to see what the outcome will be now...

edit: Ah, thanks L1011. Thats unfortunate news.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭davedub2015

Sorry I should have clarified - I meant pay to customs, once PM have handed it over to them.

I was unaware that alcohol was against Parcel Motel's T&Cs so ordered some alcohol over from the UK last week. PM appear to have brought the parcel to Dublin no problems, but have now handed it over to customs. Waiting to see what the outcome will be now...

edit: Ah, thanks L1011. Thats unfortunate news.

What happened with customs in the end? Did you get the wine or pay or pay money?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Was in a Pub in North Dakota and the bar had a screen with a list of all beers and how much was left in each tap and what glass should be used for each beer type.
    Thought it was a nice touch. Would be a good idea for busy pubs.

Image is terrible but hope you get the idea.

Beer_menu.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Was in a Pub in North Dakota and the bar had a screen with a list of all beers and how much was left in each tap and what glass should be used for each beer type.
    Thought it was a nice touch. Would be a good idea for busy pubs.

Image is terrible but hope you get the idea.

Beer_menu.jpg

Brewbot in Belfast have the screen that updates telling you what's on and what's up next but no level indicator.

I've never seen the level indicator on that system actually working correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I've never seen the level indicator on that system actually working correctly.

Was watching the lowest beer and it went empty they came and changed the tap there and then. Updated the tap to a new beer and updated the screen straight away.
    Its the only time I have seen that system so cant comment on others.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Hi guys,

I'm setting up a cocktail bar at home trying to improve my skills on the job (as a bartender) with the added benefit of getting tipsy for "research" :D got most of my basics ordered but theres some stuff I can't find in Ireland. I see mastersofmalt deliver here but wondering is there any kind of calculator for duty online to see what the eventual price would be? Site says purchaser is responsible for sorting that side out. I'd drive up north, only an hour from Newry, but the kinda stuff I'm after, Rum Chata, Creme de Voilette, Marasichino Liqueur etc is stuff I might not find in a brick and mortar off-license anyways.

Any help and I'll mix ya up a drink ;)

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Site says purchaser is responsible for sorting that side out.
    Site is... let's be kind and say mistaken. If they don't pay the duty before shipping the goods then they're liable to seizure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Site is... let's be kind and say mistaken. If they don't pay the duty before shipping the goods then they're liable to seizure.

Ahh. Is there any more reputable knowledgeable sites out there so?

What happened with customs in the end? Did you get the wine or pay or pay money?

Got quoted a fee to get it released that was rather in excess of what it was worth to me. I presume some custom's officer will be enjoying it now!

Anyone got recommendations for craft bars in Amsterdam that aren't quite at the 5 quid/250ml price range?

't IJ is the best value in town, I'd say. Gollem's prices have always been reasonable as well, I've found.

• Advertisement

t ij is a bit far when i left my chipkaart in Dublin, but will give the Raamsteeg Gollem a visit shortly.

Advertisement