Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The random stuff thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

you got the job?

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

you got the job?

:eek:

Dam stupid phone!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Any word on when their triple red ale is out?

Booked Brussels for a weekend from Friday 15th April, will be arriving in the city at about 9.30 the friday morning and flyng out at 1.30 Sunday afternoon, so have all of Friday, and all of Saturday to explore.

Already have the Cantillon brewery pencilled in for a visit.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Brussels Beer Project is another one that's worth a visit, and an easy stroll from the city centre.

• Advertisement

Cool, I'm not going to get to go to all the recommendations, and seeing as it's my anniversary it can't really be a totally beer-centric visit either.

This looks close enough to the hotel though.

Cool, I'm not going to get to go to all the recommendations
    Hate when people make loads of recommendations that you're never going to get time for...

Anyway: eat here. The food is great so you can sneak it in as a not-really-beer thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Le Paon Royal is good for food and usually has a good beer menu too

Rue du Vieux Marché aux Grains 6, 1000 Bruxelles, Down beside Sainte-Catherine de Bruxelles

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Now have a pining to go back to Brussels now :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,502 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Just bought Tesco Omni's sole bottle of Jameson 18 for the knockdown clearance price of 88.

It's a 2005 bottling so the spirits likely the same age of older than me. Wonder how many times they've cut that price to shift it!

Spar Ballymun poor stock rotation is throwing up some gems now. Had a fairly skunked bottle from there a while back - checked dates on some stuff I was looking at. January 16 and October 15 on some of the more obscure Irish craft bottles!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

In a hotel about 20 mins from Dungarvan and when I asked the barman for the Dungarvan red he said he never heard of that wine.

I pointed at the beer in the fridge and said that beer and he replied oh I'm a cider drinker and don't know my beers very well.

The worst part is it was 6.50 a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

ciaran76 wrote: »
    In a hotel about 20 mins from Dungarvan and when I asked the barman for the Dungarvan red he said he never heard of that wine.

I pointed at the beer in the fridge and said that beer and he replied oh I'm a cider drinker and don't know my beers very well.

The worst part is it was 6.50 a bottle.

This really annoys me. "Do have any craft beer?" No. "Ok. I'll have a Beamish." And a few minutes later I see someone walking around with bottles of some craft beer I'd prefer over a Beamish.

So I start looking over the counter into the fridges at places. "Why are you doing that? Stop looking over the counter." Do you have craft beer. "No" a few minutes later I see someone with a craft beer.

If you don't know your stock, and are terrible at your job. Stop telling me to stop looking in the fridges. If you knew what you were doing there'd be no need for me to do that.

someone told you to stop looking in the fridge? that's very strange altogether

Put the beers I'd bought for this evening under the drivers seat of the car to stop them rolling off a seat - no bag as I was being cheap.

A Jack Cody Smiggy decided it didn't like the minor clonking it got and decided to start leaking at a decent pressure from the cap. Only about 30ml got out but as it got in to the mats and the seat base the car now smells like an alcoholics bedroom. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Cast Iron

L1011 wrote: »
    Put the beers I'd bought for this evening under the drivers seat of the car to stop them rolling off a seat - no bag as I was being cheap.

A Jack Cody Smiggy decided it didn't like the minor clonking it got and decided to start leaking at a decent pressure from the cap. Only about 30ml got out but as it got in to the mats and the seat base the car now smells like an alcoholics bedroom. :mad:

Never mind that, what about the 30 ml of lovely Smiggy you lost ; )

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I am living in the UK and would like to ship some Glen Dronach 12 year old to my in-laws and am looking for the best value option. Amazon prime won't deliver it, and other Amazon sellers are asking for £15 and £20 delivery. The whiskey exchange don't seem to ship to Ireland. Anyone have any tips? I may just need to suck it up and pay the £15 postage fee.

I am living in the UK and would like to ship some Glen Dronach 12 year old to my in-laws and am looking for the best value option. Amazon prime won't deliver it, and other Amazon sellers are asking for £15 and £20 delivery. The whiskey exchange don't seem to ship to Ireland. Anyone have any tips? I may just need to suck it up and pay the £15 postage fee.

http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/glendronach-12-year-old

€59 with delivery to anywhere in Ireland. Not sure if it will work out much cheaper though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

irish_goat wrote: »
    http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/glendronach-12-year-old

€59 with delivery to anywhere in Ireland. Not sure if it will work out much cheaper though.

Thank you very much, I did check there but it's out of stock.

• Advertisement

Thank you very much, I did check there but it's out of stock.

Aye I'd guess they get deliveries on a pretty regular basis. If you give them a buzz they're normally pretty helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I won two tickets to White Hag's second birthday party this weekend at the brewery and I'm now being dragged somewhere else. Does anyone want them?

Has anyone ever gotten an parcel held for customs via parcel motel? I know parcel motel prohibit alcohol (bought some Brewdog stuff), but will I get away with a "don't do this again" if I plead ignorance?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Has anyone ever gotten an parcel held for customs via parcel motel? I know parcel motel prohibit alcohol (bought some Brewdog stuff), but will I get away with a "don't do this again" if I plead ignorance?

I used to get all my BrewDog orders in from Parcel Motel with no problems. The odd time they'd refuse to take in the order because of damages but BD would just resend it again.

About a year ago (or longer) they started to crack down on the packages, either saying it was over weight, or that it contravened their list a acceptable items. I'd have to head over to their main depot to pick up the package. They would either say nothing because it was just a case of being over weight, or they would tell me that alcohol was prohibited and I'd plead ignorance. Either way I'd have to pay extra because I was picking up from the depot.

I stopped getting orders from them then because the delivery ended up being too much and the exchange rate was terrible.

I actually got an order off them recently because the pound crashed. I opted for the direct delivery though.

yeah it was the pound crashing that made me order, their boxes are fairly large to be fair. their email mentioned that it was held for customs and nothing to do with overweight so it's not a case of simply picking it up at the depot - which I'd gladly do. Just don't want them to destroy it like they do on border patrol on TV :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

yeah it was the pound crashing that made me order, their boxes are fairly large to be fair. their email mentioned that it was held for customs and nothing to do with overweight so it's not a case of simply picking it up at the depot - which I'd gladly do. Just don't want them to destroy it like they do on border patrol on TV :pac:.

Well customs shouldn't be a problem as they're still in the EU. It could just be a backlog?

Hopefully.

here's the email:
    Hi Creamy
    Your parcel reference PRCL123456789 is on hold for inspection by Customs.

Should you wish to do so, you can contact the Customs officer, Paul McPartlin, directly at <some random email address>@revenue.ie

For information on prohibited items, please click here
    http://www.parcelmotel.com/terms/

Kind Regards

The Parcel Motel Team

It's the part at the end that's worrying me, I've emailed revenue and pleaded my case on the customs side so hopefully :pac:.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Well customs shouldn't be a problem as they're still in the EU.
    You only get free movement of alcohol within the EU when you transport it yourself. When it's sent by courier there is a slew of customs red tape, whether it's from inside the EU or outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Some people got their groupon alcohol orders seized.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057622460

I expect it is more likely with the likes of groupon deals as I imagine a full pallet of parcels might arrive making customs work a bit easier and more worthwhile, i.e. all the same value and very similar paperwork for quick processing.

Advertisement