Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The random stuff thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

For an airport that is otherwise very cheap - fast food outlets the same price as the city centre, the €1 water honesty boxes etc - they really do grab with the spirits prices

Beer in Basel is crap. Was in a brewery owned bar and the beer was all pouring incredibly high (two or three glasses of head thrown down the sink on some) and tasted musty; €8 for 400ml. Feldschlossen about all you can get in most shops and is similarly priced to premium lagers in shops here and is just meh.

Airport outbound duty free has a decent selection of spirits and is quite cheap. They had twin packs of 1L JW Black for something in the 30 euro range; you need two people or to be willing to break the rules to buy that. Got a bottle of The Laddie 8 for 56 as I want to finish the Islays and its probably the hardest to find here/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The Mikkeller website had 3 “super fresh” The Alchemist beers going on sale first thing this morning. Heady Topper was included in the 3. Mad money but I had a look this morning. They went on sale at 7:57 and were sold out by 7:57 and 15 seconds! :D

But pointless putting them on the site but I suppose it creates a buzz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

How mad?

RasTa wrote: »
    How mad?

400kr for a 4 pack.

About €54

Hmmm, probably would have bought it. My Teku glass broke tonight or the housemate broke it.

Anywhere to buy them or any pub? The ones in Underdog are smaller then the one I had from the Italian Craft festival 2 years back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭emo72

Lads anyone know where I could buy the Johnnie walker blade runner whiskey? Not my area of expertise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Hmmm, probably would have bought it. My Teku glass broke tonight or the housemate broke it.

Anywhere to buy them or any pub? The ones in Underdog are smaller then the one I had from the Italian Craft festival 2 years back

Wallace's Taverna use the large ones, if you go in and buy an Italian Craft beer off them they might let you keep the glass.

Not sure where you are based, but Wallace's place near Croke Park has them too.

Too far?

DQTuEHhUQAA7xwe.jpg

Too far?

DQTuEHhUQAA7xwe.jpg

Is that the one they used in Black House? I liked that beer.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Is that the one they used in Black House? I liked that beer.

Not sure, I was just reading a blog about it on their site from 2014
    In fact, I’m so pleased with the way this experiment turned out, I’m adding a full-scale batch of Black House with bourbon barrel-aged coffee beans to our “to-do” list (no schedule yet). I’m also putting a lot more green coffee into barrels ASAP.

• Advertisement

I’ve just seen on instagram that BrewDog are doing something similar.

This made me chuckle :D

439192.PNG

Imagine the mess!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Off to Lisbon the end of May/early June.

I know from Porto that the beers being made in Portugal are pretty decent but the bars were a bollox to find initially there. Anyone any idea what Lisbon's like?

The Letra brewery has a bar in Porto with a fair few taps (one or two is the norm elsewhere) and a pile of bottles and damn good tapas for tiny money; not quite expecting that in the capital though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

L1011 wrote: »
    Off to Lisbon the end of May/early June.

I know from Porto that the beers being made in Portugal are pretty decent but the bars were a bollox to find initially there. Anyone any idea what Lisbon's like?

The Letra brewery has a bar in Porto with a fair few taps (one or two is the norm elsewhere) and a pile of bottles and damn good tapas for tiny money; not quite expecting that in the capital though.

Wander around Barrio Alto, you'll find something.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,071 ✭✭✭✭beertons

As my name might suggest, I am no stranger to a tipple of all kinds. I've worked behind the bar for years, but never have I seen what was put into a glass of ice this morning. Club lemon and a quarter bottle of red wine. Does this have a name? Anyone come across this before?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

beertons wrote: »
    As my name might suggest, I am no stranger to a tipple of all kinds. I've worked behind the bar for years, but never have I seen what was put into a glass of ice this morning. Club lemon and a quarter bottle of red wine. Does this have a name? Anyone come across this before?

sounds like they were trying to make a tinto de verano

Tinto de verano.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,071 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Many thanks. I can't get my taste buds around it. Sounds disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,465 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Many thanks. I can't get my taste buds around it. Sounds disgusting.

On the continent things like campari and aperol mixed with soft drink is quite popular I understand.

I've had cheap red wine with fanta at parties and it tastes cheap... but Martini (Vermouth) Rosso with club orange and lemon+lime wedges is a nice lazy summer cocktail.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Anyone for Glitter Beer?

https://www.craftbeer.com/craft-beer-muses/glitter-beer-sparkles-springs-craft-beer-trend

Gold-Dust-Woman_Sasquatch-Brewery-Giltter-Beer-Feature.jpg

Why on earth would you want to drink that? It looks like hair conditioner!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

no worse than Irish pubs throwing green dye into beers for Paddy's Day.

My craft rule of "trying everything/anything once" applies to the glitter beer. Sure it's a gimmick but if it's a tasty drop I don't care :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,274 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Do any Irish pubs (as opposed to American Irish-themed pubs) actually do that, ever?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Do any Irish pubs (as opposed to American Irish-themed pubs) actually do that, ever?
    Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I've seen it in the Bull & Castle for sure.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The thought just occurred to me, most randomly, that I haven't seen a Brown Paper Bag Project beer in ages. Whatever happened to them, and are they still brewing anywhere?

The thought just occurred to me, most randomly, that I haven't seen a Brown Paper Bag Project beer in ages. Whatever happened to them, and are they still brewing anywhere?

It was a side project for the lads who own L. Mulligan's Grocer's. I'd say they saw limited return so abandoned it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Brian, who headed up the brewing side, went home to the US. Colin has done odd bits and pieces since, generally on cask for LMG, and I think that has dried up now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

BeerNut wrote: »
    Brian, who headed up the brewing side, went home to the US. Colin has done odd bits and pieces since, generally on cask for LMG, and I think that has dried up now too.

That's a shame, the big red was a favourite of mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Lads, I saw a bit ago that they had brought out kegs of Desperados over in England. Any chance they come out in Ireland?

• Advertisement

Lads, I saw a bit ago that they had brought out kegs of Desperados over in England. Any chance they come out in Ireland?

I think the reason why they put it in kegs is because it's a more efficient way of disposing it.

Advertisement