Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The LG G4 Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭opus

Patww79 wrote: »

That would be 8.4.89.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭moggser

try Gsam works for me see whats what and all that malarky

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Sgro

Hi, thinking of getting this LG G4 over the OP2 as need a new smartphone. Slightly more drawn to the LG G4 as has a removable battery and SD card slot.
    Also, have had very bad experiences with my OPO. When I dropped it, a tiny crack rendered the whole screen unresponsive, and then customer service were atrocious and tried to rip me off, eventually got my originally agreed upon price for repair. And now, only recently, the phone has died after being in a damp pocket for literally less than ten seconds. The same thing also happened to a friend, so am very wary of OnePlus' durability in their phones.

Battery life is pretty important to me - I know the removable battery is handy but anyone have some more opinions on the G4 battery life?
    Also, durability of the phone? I'm guessing a bit more as LG is IMO a better manufacturer than OP (they have to retain costs somewhere and I'm guessing OP uses not-so-durable parts) and I also have a Nexus 5 which is smashed to bits, screen literally hanging off with the guts showing and still works fine unlike the OPO which dies at the first chance it gets.

Would also appreciate any comparisons anyone had b/w OP2 and the G4.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭RtD

So I think I've fallen foul of the bug/issue that causes the phone to not get past the boot screen. It's one of the early Amazon.it ones and has part numbers H815 - (0420, 0423, 0425, 0504) when I remove the cover

A few days back I was listening to music on my G4, about 50% battery, and it crashed. Tried turning it on again and got the startup LG logo and that's about it, it'll crash again after 10-20 seconds. To try turn it on again I first have to remove and then re-seat the battery to get any response and generally it's the same scenario again, 5-10 seconds of LG logo, a second or two blank, and then 5-10 seconds of LG logo again before just turning off. On very rare occasion it will get to the optimising apps screen and will then crash after hitting 10/85 apps. I can't seem to get into the startup menu at all. Having it plugged in to the mains seems to make no discernible difference.

I've actually ordered another battery with charging dock on the off chance it's something to do with that but it seems unlikely now that I've read a bit more, it'll arrive before the end of the week hopefully so can test it then.

Anyone here experienced similar and if so any progress?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

It's a European wide warranty, doesn't matter who you bought it from in Europe. I don't think there should be any problems having it replaced. You may be without a phone for a few weeks though

• Advertisement

To provide an update, the new battery as predicted did nothing to bring the phone back to life so I rang LG today. After one or two questions, trying to start the phone on only mains power, trying to start the phone on battery power etc. they gave me the number of SBE who are the Irish centre for LG repair (01-4018176). Talked to them and it's just a case of me sending in the phone by registered post with a description of the problem and they should be able to repair it under warranty. Without having looked at the phone themselves and with the time of year that's in it they weren't able to predict a turnaround time but hopefully not more than 2 weeks or so.

One thing the guy in LG did mention though is that the phone would be repaired to UK specs (which is also I imagine the Irish spec) so that means 32GB. Makes no change to me but may be of note if any of you have a 64GB handset.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

RtD wrote: »
    To provide an update, the new battery as predicted did nothing to bring the phone back to life so I rang LG today. After one or two questions, trying to start the phone on only mains power, trying to start the phone on battery power etc. they gave me the number of SBE who are the Irish centre for LG repair (01-4018176). Talked to them and it's just a case of me sending in the phone by registered post with a description of the problem and they should be able to repair it under warranty. Without having looked at the phone themselves and with the time of year that's in it they weren't able to predict a turnaround time but hopefully not more than 2 weeks or so.

One thing the guy in LG did mention though is that the phone would be repaired to UK specs (which is also I imagine the Irish spec) so that means 32GB. Makes no change to me but may be of note if any of you have a 64GB handset.

pretty sure there are no 64GB handsets

Repair is what they said yeah. Now they may just want to look at it and just make sure it's not in bits before committing to a replacement. I imagine the Irish crowd don't have a stack of them ready to send out either. Will update as I hear anything more.

Yeah, they'll be wiping it themselves they tell me. Not ideal but I've removed the SD card at least and there's nothing too delicate there otherwise anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 hu4rorZ

hey guys,

is anyone else having issues with messages from apps like Whatsapp, where it doest send the notifications if the screen is turned off?
    I have background data turned on, but it hasnt solved this

• Registered Users Posts: 24 hu4rorZ

Nope, just the standard 5.1 os.
    :(

have seen it mentioned as an android bug that appears on other phones, but the standard "factory reset the OS" didn't work for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I have that with Hangouts (don't use whatsapp)
    I'm on 5.1 and more and more I have to log into hangouts before it shows me people who sent me a message.

• Advertisement

whats it been replaced with?

Oh noooo. The hangouts is a far better sums app than standard phone one ffs...that's my xmass ruined lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5 phantasmagorie

So, American phone providers have now began rolling out marshmallow, where I am yet to even receive an update for 5.1, I guess it's safe to say that 3 won't be rolling out the update.

Does anyone know if any Irish providers will be doing do? I plan on swapping if so.

On three myself but not using a ’three' phone. On 5.1 for what feels like ever. Funny how lg are able to role it out to everyone but us. :(

Yep I know its not as good on battery's and stuff but I'd love the chance to try it out for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

god's toy wrote: »
    On three myself but not using a ’three' phone. On 5.1 for what feels like ever. Funny how lg are able to role it out to everyone but us. :(

Yep I know its not as good on battery's and stuff but I'd love the chance to try it out for myself.

There's no difference really with 6.0. You lose the swipe up for google now, replaced with (the almost useless IMO) now on tap until you turn it off.

I don't see any benefit to battery life nor anything else that was promised really.

It's not worth the hassle and I usually love the hassle of upgrading devices far past where they are supposed to be.

Now a good root might be worth while.

• Advertisement

There's no difference really with 6.0. You lose the swipe up for google now, replaced with (the almost useless IMO) now on tap until you turn it off.

I don't see any benefit to battery life nor anything else that was promised really.

It's not worth the hassle and I usually love the hassle of upgrading devices far past where they are supposed to be.

Now a good root might be worth while.

Yep I understand what you and many more have said about it not being a huge update... but I still want it... and I can't understand why it can't be just an opt-in or beta for those like me who are will to try it, I mean Sammy let you beta test why not LG?

Did any of you try plugging it into the PC and checking using LG Bridge? As far as I know there was no OTA rollout of M here, and I got it via Bridge over a month ago.
    As was said, there's not much different from 5.1, but stuff like the app permissions is very handy and I've noticed the OS is noticeably snappier to navigate too. Doze is good if you leave the phone down for long periods, but it won't work if in your pocket. They've also made the silent/vibrate/priority thing work better, it's still a total mess as always on Android but at least you can actually put the phone in silent now.

If you've an early model one of these phones (built before Sept 15) then do not root it.

Its funny, I look every day on LG bridge and I was just about to say 'Yea I look every day' when I just now made sure before posting this and... It's there! HA! Or at least I think that's it waiting for me... says something about a knock code... hope thats it!

Advertisement