Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The LG G4 Thread

Options
  • 13-04-2015 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

So anyone been following the leaks... flood... tidal wave (?) of leaks about the next LG G-series phone? One of the worst kept secrets in the mobile world recently. Everyone knows everything important about it already except the price and the release date.

But some of those specs look good:
    http://m.gsmarena.com/lg_g4-6901.php

The phone itself looks good too:
    http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/12/8392877/lg-g4-pictures-leaked

They are claiming a screen that has 534ppi and uses less battery power to do so than current screens. The camera also looks great, f1.8, laser autofocus and some sort of colour detection sensor (not sure what exactly this adds). That and a 3000mah replaceable battery is fairly impressive.

But then the downside. Most seem to think the leather covers are amazing. Not so sure i like them myself. Also the lack of a Snapdragon 810 SoC is very unusual as nobody else is using the 808 chip in the G4. The heating and battery problems the sd810 is reported to cause in the HTC One M9 are likely why it was dropped.

With the fancy looks, screen, big battery and camera this could be aimed as a fashion phone. That's my worry for it given the lack of raw processing power all the competitors are aiming for. Still, think i would happily sacrifice some speed for a two day battery life.

I'm going to upgrade from a Samsung S3 running cyanogenmod soon. I'm thinking the choice could be this or a wait for the Oneplus Two.

Anyone else interested in this one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭N64

Might sell my G3 and upgrade to this. Can't go without knock code now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Going to see what the reviews say. If the camera gets good reviews I might go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Redundo

Won't know for sure until the first sample pics are out. Might start seeing them as early as next month given that LG are allowing a few thousand units to go into the hands of fans early. The specs on the camera are impressive though. An f1.8 lens can be difficult to achieve with slr sized cameras, so its particularly impressive on the miniature smartphone cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

All to be revealed April 28th. LG are making awesome phones these days at competitive prices and if this phone is as highly rated as the G2 and G3 then it will be an automatic purchase from me. Highly unlikely any Irish carriers will have this phone so it will have to be an outright purchase!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Yeah, the selection of phones on offer from Irish carriers really is poor. But then an outright purchase might save more in the long run given that shop-bought high-end smartphones tend to come on expensive 2-year contracts.

I'm really hoping LG will stick with their slightly below average pricing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Did any Irish carriers have the G2/G3?

Just did a quick search on Meteor, Three, Vodafone and Carphone Warehouse... Not a single LG on any of them. Do they not know that making something difficult to get creates a bubble of consumer demand, while making something impossible to get pisses people off?

Anyone know any trustworthy internet shops/sellers?

jenno86 wrote: »
    Did any Irish carriers have the G2/G3?

Nope.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Redundo wrote: »
    Just did a quick search on Meteor, Three, Vodafone and Carphone Warehouse... Not a single LG on any of them. Do they not know that making something difficult to get creates a bubble of consumer demand, while making something impossible to get pisses people off?

Anyone know any trustworthy internet shops/sellers?

Bought mine from Amazon aswell.

I have the LG G2, great phone but I wan the G4 now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I decided to get a G3 for €418. The G4 will probably be too expensive to buy outright for me.

I used amazon.de instead of amazon.co.uk as sterling exchange rate is not good at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

So anyone been following the leaks... flood... tidal wave (?) of leaks about the next LG G-series phone? One of the worst kept secrets in the mobile world recently. Everyone knows everything important about it already except the price and the release date.

But some of those specs look good:
    http://m.gsmarena.com/lg_g4-6901.php

The phone itself looks good too:
    http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/12/8392877/lg-g4-pictures-leaked

They are claiming a screen that has 534ppi and uses less battery power to do so than current screens. The camera also looks great, f1.8, laser autofocus and some sort of colour detection sensor (not sure what exactly this adds). That and a 3000mah replaceable battery is fairly impressive.

But then the downside. Most seem to think the leather covers are amazing. Not so sure i like them myself. Also the lack of a Snapdragon 810 SoC is very unusual as nobody else is using the 808 chip in the G4. The heating and battery problems the sd810 is reported to cause in the HTC One M9 are likely why it was dropped.

With the fancy looks, screen, big battery and camera this could be aimed as a fashion phone. That's my worry for it given the lack of raw processing power all the competitors are aiming for. Still, think i would happily sacrifice some speed for a two day battery life.

I'm going to upgrade from a Samsung S3 running cyanogenmod soon. I'm thinking the choice could be this or a wait for the Oneplus Two.

Anyone else interested in this one?

I'm interested in upgrading from my xperia z1.

But, OP, you're missing some of the most important points about this phone and the leaks. The back is replaceable, so if you don't like the leather back, change it. It'll probably be a premium option anyway.

This phone also comes with a removable battery and microSD card slot, both things that the Samsung flagships have eschewed this year. The leaks are necessary to keep people who were on the fence about buying the s6/e because of this interested in LGs offering.

The screen is supposed to be a large improvement over LGs previous panels but it will probably still struggle to compete with the s6 in this respect.

The 808 chip also makes a lot of sense given all the problems with the 810. The "fixes" that have been released are basically greater thermal throttling. 808 chip will hopefully not have this problem despite its similarities to the 810 (I think two high end cores are removed).

I was hoping the screen would be slightly curved like the G flex 2, but this looks to not be the case. I guess that requires the OLED display and some other things, like maybe the self healing screen/skin. At that point, you might as well get a flex 2 anyway.

I've never owned an LG phone but I've played around with their Nexus devices that got loads of praise at the time. There are rumours of google giving the nexus phone back to LG. I just hope it wont be another 6" monster!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Patww79 wrote: »

It's the 32GB with 3GB of RAM.

As far as I can tell there is a European version of the G3 for the LTE frequencies. I presume the language can be changed. I think the seller is actually French but the order is fulfilled by Amazon.

It should arrive next week so I will let you know more then.

Also, the battery is another massive plus over the Samsung at 3000mAh. I'll never stray from LG again I think, the only question for me is if it's worth it over a G3.

The battery in the G2 was 3000 mAH. I'd be disappointed if the G4 had the same battery. I'm hoping for at least 3500mAh.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

One of the removable back pictures leaked shows the battery so it's 90% that it'll be 3,000mAh. There should be enough hardware and software improvements to mean it'll perform better than the one in the G2 though.
    I'm running on 20+ hours a day on my G2 currently according to GSam (though I am on a custom ROM) so I could easily lose 5 hours of that and still be happy with the G4 if it happened to be worst case.

Aye the battery is great in the G2, but I'd want a better battery in the G4 to justify shelling out 500 euro odd. Remember the 2k screen in the G4 also.

How much screen on time do you get with your G2?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

I'd say we are going to be looking at €800 minimum for the G4, not €500.

Just checked GSam again, showing my averages as:

Battery Life: 19h 59m (9h 41m Active)
    Screen On: 4h 23m (4h 49m Max)

Since Feb 26 2015 (last time I did a fresh ROM install).

The G2 and G3 weren't over 600 euro on release so not sure where your getting 800 euro from.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Exchange rates and the fact that these prices are climbing every year.

Exchange rate only if you're buying from England, easy just to buy from Europe. It may increase in price but I wouldn't be saying over 800 euros when we don't know the price.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I checked with a German seller TechnikDirekt that i bought phones from in the past. Had good experiences with them back then and they are carrying LG phones now. A new feature is that they offer Finance deals. I haven't looked into whether its offered to Irish customers, or the terms and conditions, so take that with a pinch of salt! [EDIT: nevermind, just saw that the installment purchase scheme is for German residents only]

But as for their up-front price, the LG Flex 2 is on offer there for €682.00 (Platinum 16GB version). I got to imagine that the Flex 2's SD810 chip, OLED screen and flex manufacturing process make this more expensive than the G4. I would hope the G4 will come in somewhere under €600, hopefully as low as €550.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I checked with a German seller TechnikDirekt that i bought phones from in the past. Had good experiences with them back then and they are carrying LG phones now. A new feature is that they offer Finance deals. I haven't looked into whether its offered to Irish customers, or the terms and conditions, so take that with a pinch of salt! [EDIT: nevermind, just saw that the installment purchase scheme is for German residents only]

But as for their up-front price, the LG Flex 2 is on offer there for €682.00 (Platinum 16GB version). I got to imagine that the Flex 2's SD810 chip, OLED screen and flex manufacturing process make this more expensive than the G4. I would hope the G4 will come in somewhere under €600, hopefully as low as €550.

Pretty sure companies like LG dont keep a fixed % markup. They'll sell it at a perceived value. Considering they are trying to steal former samsung customers (removable battery, SD card slot) they might use a reduced price to woo them. I certainly hope so!

Rabbit out of the hat, would be an IP56 certification. Fingers crossed!

I got my G2 from Amazon France 16 months ago. No problems whatsoever, apart from the European charger!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Hmmm, just saw an update that LG have admitted the recent leak was real, but that not everything has been revealed yet. One of the only things left out of the website leak was confirmation of the processor. Would be interesting if there was a change there.

Advertisement