Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machinery Photo/Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

What's the difference between a bale grab and an ordinary shear grab? Is it just the catch to grab the plastic. If so can that be retrofitted?

For the past few years, I've been opening all my bales with an ordinary shear grab the exact same way as that Fleming video except without the catch, the plastic ends up on top of the second half of the bale which I then pick off with the tines.

One thing I notice with all those videos is that they all start with the bale already loaded in the grab. This to me can often be the hardest part of the procedure, especially with dry bales. You'd need a fair bit of power and something to push up against to push all those tines into the side of a bale.

They seem like an ordinary grab to me anyway. I have a 4'4" here and I was looking for one of those to retro fit but there's nobody selling them that I can find.

I do the bales the same way as you but I'm a bit tight for space under the roof where I'm feeding so the plastic sticking with the grab would make it easier to manage the plastic. And there's always a few bales that end up with the plastic caught under them especially if I'm feeding in round feeders in the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

What's the difference between a bale grab and an ordinary shear grab? Is it just the catch to grab the plastic. If so can that be retrofitted?

For the past few years, I've been opening all my bales with an ordinary shear grab the exact same way as that Fleming video except without the catch, the plastic ends up on top of the second half of the bale which I then pick off with the tines.

One thing I notice with all those videos is that they all start with the bale already loaded in the grab. This to me can often be the hardest part of the procedure, especially with dry bales. You'd need a fair bit of power and something to push up against to push all those tines into the side of a bale.

I don't have one of those multishears. But I do have a farmhand shearman. The tines would be too far apart for pit silage I reckon? But I just come down straight on the top of the bale when grabbing and use the ground as something to push against. The tines stay on the outside of the bale. The only time you need to puncture the bale with a tine is when taking out from the stack.

Edit: just looked at the shearman. She's definitely only for bales. 540 kg the weight of it. But tines on outside with this yoke anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

orm0nd wrote: »
    Local contractor has a coupe of nh he bought off him. 27k hours on 1 of them, engine never touched but he has ripped the transmission a few times.

Mine has his sticker as he originally sold it to one of my fathers neighbours so i was happy as where it had came from compare to dd. He was always sound whenever dealing with him. Backup service is all i think about these days when labour is a problem. Main reason i went delaval also

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭mengele

whelan2 wrote: »
    Our tractor is very basic tm125. Very little electrics etc. Was €1000 in labour alone. Then parts. A bit peeved as on day 1 I suggested were the problem was and it was dismissed.

Was it the main dealer completed the job for 1k labour? What was wrong with it in the end ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,250 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

mengele wrote: »
    Was it the main dealer completed the job for 1k labour? What was wrong with it in the end ?

Yes always used main dealer. There was a damaged fuel pipe which they had put on it previously it was a Mickey mouse job also on the last visit they put a new diesel pump on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

486182.jpeg
    Silly season has started.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,388 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I'm on the plane

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Yield and quality?

NH handling the wbarley ok? Looks well ripe.

Yield and quality?

NH handling the wbarley ok? Looks well ripe.
    About 9.3t/ha in 2/3rd cereals rushed into failed osr. Encouraging for later in season.
    Seems to be going ok, 2nd day with it.

Reggie. wrote: »

I'm on the plane
    Bring sun cream! Expecting 35 degree tommorow

• Advertisement

About 9.3t/ha in 2/3rd cereals rushed into failed osr. Encouraging for later in season.
    Seems to be going ok, 2nd day with it.

Excellent!
    Barnbuster of a harvest hopefully.

Bring sun cream! Expecting 35 degree tommorow

Reggie wouldn’t need aircon...hard as nails our Reggie, ex Ranger served many tours in deepest Africa! He’d find 35* relatively cold.

Be happy if the wheats did that. What survived of osr will go next few days, clean some of it twice in a dresser and re drill next week. Put into the wb stubles and anything else harvested when drills get that done as had 5” of rain since early june so moisture there with 15mm due sat/sunday

Be happy if the wheats did that. What survived of osr will go next few days, clean some of it twice in a dresser and re drill next week. Put into the wb stubles and anything else harvested when drills get that done as had 5” of rain since early june so moisture there with 15mm due sat/sunday

Drilling the osr as a crop or as a cover crop?

Drilling the osr as a crop or as a cover crop?
    Crop if it can beat flea beetle by end of august otherwise ideas on a post card for rotation tbh.

Crop if it can beat flea beetle by end of august otherwise ideas on a post card for rotation tbh.

Is it hybrid seed?
    I made that mistake...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Didnt know reggie was an ex rang, wont be measing with him!

Reggie wouldn’t need aircon...hard as nails our Reggie, ex Ranger served many tours in deepest Africa! He’d find 35* relatively cold.

A little balmy

kevthegaff wrote: »

Just remember that in the future boyo ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭valtra2

Reggie Reggie Reggie. REGGIE. Ya ex ranger alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,135 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

kevthegaff wrote: »

All of a sudden his moco is grand without the lights on it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

All of a sudden his moco is grand without the lights on it. :D

There's a fight club meme in there somewhere.

There's a fight club meme in there somewhere.

Dont talk about fight club...ffs that's rule #1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Reggie. wrote: »
    Dont talk about fight club...ffs that's rule #1

Well then, tell us about the time one of the boys got washed away in a flooded river in Indonesia (or somewhere out there) and made it back to camp after ten days fighting his way through dense jungle...

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Well then, tell us about the time one of the boys got washed away in a flooded river in Indonesia (or somewhere out there) and made it back to camp after ten days fighting his way through dense jungle...

Its classified

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I’ve two Krone mowers. Just after buying a new skid for the smaller one (8ft) and doing a bearing, replacing a hat and doing a seal in the ram. I’m thinking of selling it and buying a bigger mower. I’m happy with Krone so far and they leave a lovely clean cut also. What are people’s thoughts on Claas, Kuhn or Pottengier ?

davidk1394 wrote: »
    I’ve two Krone mowers. Just after buying a new skid for the smaller one (8ft) and doing a bearing, replacing a hat and doing a seal in the ram. I’m thinking of selling it and buying a bigger mower. I’m happy with Krone so far and they leave a lovely clean cut also. What are people’s thoughts on Claas, Kuhn or Pottengier ?

I’ve Claas 3m mounted with conditioner and I don’t like them. Poor to follow the ground and soft in general.
    Kuhn 3.5m mounted without conditioner. Good to float but not great to shave the ground. Better/more robust than Claas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I’ve Claas 3m mounted with conditioner and I don’t like them. Poor to follow the ground and soft in general.
    Kuhn 3.5m mounted without conditioner. Good to float but not great to shave the ground. Better/more robust than Claas.

Thanks for the info. I might just stick with the Krone. They’re a bit soft but a good alround mower. Both mowers are non conditioner

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. I might just stick with the Krone. They’re a bit soft but a good alround mower. Both mowers are non conditioner

Thinking of changing the Kuhns for Krones. Do they make a 4m without conditioner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Thinking of changing the Kuhns for Krones. Do they make a 4m without conditioner?

Wouldn’t look past Pottinger here, hydraulic self leveling to set mowing height is a gift, no other manufacturer offers anything like it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement