Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machinery Photo/Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,254 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

stanflt wrote: »
    Correction- was dealing with them a long time

Had an issue here too recently got an eye watering bill for it. 3 visits it took to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Had to she blew the transmission after 3013 hrs- had warranty for 3000 hrs- wasn’t covered

You went away awfully quiet Stan.
    I wouldn’t have...

I hope you never again darken their door. I’d be 100% supportive of a good social media campaign to educate CNH owners of the wonderful back-up service that’s provided.

Absolutely disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭jaymla627

I wouldn’t have...

I hope you never again darken their door. I’d be 100% supportive of a good social media campaign to educate CNH owners of the wonderful back-up service that’s provided.

Absolutely disgraceful.

Theirs one main new holland dealership that’s probably doing 60 plus odd % of new holland tractor sales in the entire country through selling ex-hires, it’s no excuse but it’s decimated any smaller dealerships and their ability to be competitive and stand over warranty claims like above, smaller lads are basically having to sell new tractors at cost price just to match the ex-hire tractors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

jaymla627 wrote:
    Theirs one main new holland dealership that’s probably doing 60 plus odd % of new holland tractor sales in the entire country through selling ex-hires, it’s no excuse but it’s decimated any smaller dealerships and their ability to be competitive and stand over warranty claims like above, smaller lads are basically having to sell new tractors at cost price just to match the ex-hire tractors

that the crowd in laois area, they selling some amount of tractors here in Clare I think they have a mechanic based here near full time servicing the tractors that are sold here alone , they're prices have gone up some amount for parts I've noticed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

They have big contracys with the airports and are able reregister a tractor with 500hrs as new

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I bought off a smaller dealer near birr with a great back up service. Always minded me when something with the fiat so stuck with him

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭mengele

whelan2 wrote: »
    Had an issue here too recently got an eye watering bill for it. 3 visits it took to fix.

What kind of figure is eye watering? I have heard of jobs costing over 10k with the main dealers for gearbox rebuilds etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭orm0nd

It doesn't look like the do a shear grab just a bale slicer. The plastic grab on that looks good though.

I'll give them a shout on Monday just in case they do.

They're near a realative of mine used to use his bales for testing new ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The rossmore looks good. On a blizzard too which is 95hp

It does, doesn't it?

Probably around 400kgs weight which should be managable for the tractor with a bale up front too.

The worry I'd have would be if the grab was strong enough to last without bursting open if there was a few years on it. The Tanco and Prodig are heavier so they might be better able for doing both jobs longer term.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭stanflt

I wouldn’t have...

Absolutely disgraceful.

Easier to walk as blood is thicker than water iykwim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,388 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

lab man wrote: »
    that the crowd in laois area, they selling some amount of tractors here in Clare I think they have a mechanic based here near full time servicing the tractors that are sold here alone , they're prices have gone up some amount for parts I've noticed

Plus thier ex hire tractors aren't too cheap anymore.

kevthegaff wrote: »
    I bought off a smaller dealer near birr with a great back up service. Always minded me when something with the fiat so stuck with him

Swaine

It does, doesn't it?

Probably around 400kgs weight which should be managable for the tractor with a bale up front too.

The worry I'd have would be if the grab was strong enough to last without bursting open if there was a few years on it. The Tanco and Prodig are heavier so they might be better able for doing both jobs longer term.

Heavier doesn't mean stronger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Reggie. wrote: »
    Heavier doesn't mean stronger

Yeah, but seems to be better quality steel used on the dearer ones. I haven't seen the Rossmore one yet so I can't judge it but that would be a concern for me over the other brands.

I'm in no great hurry so I can look around but if I'm going spending a couple of grand on a grab, I'd want it to be around for a good few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,254 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

mengele wrote: »
    What kind of figure is eye watering? I have heard of jobs costing over 10k with the main dealers for gearbox rebuilds etc

Our tractor is very basic tm125. Very little electrics etc. Was €1000 in labour alone. Then parts. A bit peeved as on day 1 I suggested were the problem was and it was dismissed.

Plus thier ex hire tractors aren't too cheap anymore.

They can’t be really as they use to get a double hire between the airport in winter and bnm in spring/summer, bnm isn’t hiring anymore so obviously the same discounts aren’t available

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Swaine

Garety

• Registered Users Posts: 11,098 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Muckit wrote: »
    Garety

Garahy is the name on the sticker anyway, I hear good reports on them anyway, I think they're near Tom Shaw

wrangler wrote: »
    Garahy is the name on the sticker anyway, I hear good reports on them anyway, I think they're near Tom Shaw

Yeah just outside birr

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Yes, my mistake. Not a surname that we'd have around here, would be Geraghty alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Yeah, but seems to be better quality steel used on the dearer ones. I haven't seen the Rossmore one yet so I can't judge it but that would be a concern for me over the other brands.

I'm in no great hurry so I can look around but if I'm going spending a couple of grand on a grab, I'd want it to be around for a good few years.

I'd steer clear of prodig. Awful lot of there grabs breaking on the ram pins or the steel cracking, welds are stronger than the steel. Have heard quite a few lads say they wouldnt buy again.
    Were looking at getting a new grab too that can do bales wont be looking at prodig even though they're only 25 min away

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Had to she blew the transmission after 3013 hrs- had warranty for 3000 hrs- wasn’t covered

Dud you get it serviced on time every time with main dealer?.
    What sort of work were you doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

jaymla627 wrote: »

I don't think cnh sell many new tractors anymore they're mostly ex hire that turn up on farms. there's a ring that would get through about 400 hundred tractors per anum for Langmead group/Barfoots/G's and local contractors/farmers down on the South coast.
    This dealer does the work and their yard is full of stuff that's years old with sub 2k'hrs they can clear. Alot dissapears into euro auctions type setups, Nh would over see everything in house.

Dud you get it serviced on time every time with main dealer?.
    What sort of work were you doing?

3000 hour service is circa 2k through dealership, all oils changed and tractor gone through throughly strange it wasn’t picked up the gearbox was on the way out if it had been done

3000 hour service is circa 2k through dealership, all oils changed and tractor gone through throughly strange it wasn’t picked up the gearbox was on the way out if it had been done

Full service done at 2980 hrs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Actually cant make out how their left get away with it tbh

I known a place operating similar policy,undercutting local dealers etc and whole thing eventually blew up in a horrible mess

Full service done at 2980 hrs

Can’t understand how gearbox went if brakes and oil where perfect at 3000 hour service, pretty bombproof box once brakes don’t fail and fill hydraulic system with filings, it’s 8000 hours plus before they give any trouble usually

Can’t understand how gearbox went if brakes and oil where perfect at 3000 hour service, pretty bombproof box once brakes don’t fail and fill hydraulic system with filings, it’s 8000 hours plus before they give any trouble usually

Neighbours one went bang last yr also- in fact it’s a lot more common when you go investigating

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭orm0nd

wrangler wrote: »

Local contractor has a coupe of nh he bought off him. 27k hours on 1 of them, engine never touched but he has ripped the transmission a few times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

What's the difference between a bale grab and an ordinary shear grab? Is it just the catch to grab the plastic. If so can that be retrofitted?

For the past few years, I've been opening all my bales with an ordinary shear grab the exact same way as that Fleming video except without the catch, the plastic ends up on top of the second half of the bale which I then pick off with the tines.

One thing I notice with all those videos is that they all start with the bale already loaded in the grab. This to me can often be the hardest part of the procedure, especially with dry bales. You'd need a fair bit of power and something to push up against to push all those tines into the side of a bale.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement