Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Elections. The Constituency of Tipperary

Options

Comments

I have no interest in parts of Galway,Mayo or anwhere else for that matter. I do have an interest in Tipperary where I am from , not Offaly.

The GE is about Ireland, not Tipperary, Mayo, Galway or Offaly in isolation. You need look at the bigger picture.

Personally, I would love to get rid of these Multi seat Constituencies and the PR system and have smaller ones on a one man one vote system. Say for Tipperary, have Clonmel, Tipperary Town, Thurles, Nenagh and one other, maybe Roscrea and ONE TD for each.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

At this stage you are turning people off voting for Kelly. Jesus give us a break to have a chat about others please
    Ah Cmon you have to admire Xenos enthusiasm for his man.
    He is willing to take a bit of stick back about his man with out getting hostile which is more than be said for some candidates supporters.

He kind of reminds me of the film Presidential election film Bob Roberts where Jack Black is Bobs biggest fan and when he gets to meet him he becomes wild eyed,speechless and starts hyper ventilating at the sight of him in the flesh.

Saw a quote reportedly from Pat Rabbite about AK and his "power is a drug"interview,supposed to have said AK was watching to many American political dramas and if he didn't keep his mouth shut he may have all the time in the world to watch them after the GE.

Don't know if he said it or not but would be good advice for him one way or the other,

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Ould Mr Brennan

tipptom wrote: »
    Ah Cmon you have to admire Xenos enthusiasm for his man.
    He is willing to take a bit of stick back about his man with out getting hostile which is more than be said for some candidates supporters.

He kind of reminds me of the film Presidential election film Bob Roberts where Jack Black is Bobs biggest fan and when he gets to meet him he becomes wild eyed,speechless and starts hyper ventilating at the sight of him in the flesh.

Saw a quote reportedly from Pat Rabbite about AK and his "power is a drug"interview,supposed to have said AK was watching to many American political dramas and if he didn't keep his mouth shut he may have all the time in the world to watch them after the GE.

Don't know if he said it or not but would be good advice for him one way or the other,

True I guess. Back in my box now haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

https://twitter.com/dagoon1/status/698498676373778434

I can't think of 1 single thing he's delivered for Thurles in the past 5 years.

He tried to claim credit for the CCTV in the town (Pobal, Thurles Town Council and Thurles Chamber funded this in 2005/6) The tendering/installation took 3-4 years.

He tried to claim credit for The Jimmy Doyle road. This road was planned since the 1990s and work started back in 2007. North Tipperary CC and TTC funded this road and Lowry secured some funding this project.

Thurles Town Park
    Again this goes back to the early 1990s. 100% fully funded by Thurles Town Council.

I was told this story a few weeks ago by a guy who heard this from the Councillors husband.

Before abolition a Thurles Town Councillor and a number of volunteers raised money for a swimming pool hoist for the disabled and after it was installed Alan Kelly turned up to take credit for it. She (The Councillor) went over and confronted Kelly in front of everyone and he quickly left the leisure centre almost in tears.

Keep an eye on TippFm/Tipperary Star in the next few months/years. He'll try to claim credit for the new car park, ring road and revamp of Liberty Square. These projects will be funded by money Thurles Town Council allocated to them before abolition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

From Alan Kelly

As your public representative I am committed to working for all of North Tipperary, and following the boundary commission report, in the future, all of County Tipperary, and ensuring that it is treated as a priority by the Government. Please do not hesitate to contact me at any time and I would be delighted to be of assistance if at all possible.

LOCAL FUNDING €1.1m New Ambulance Base €350,000 Jimmy Doyle Road €14As your public representative I am committed to working for all of North Tipperary, and following the boundary commission report, in the future, all of County Tipperary, and ensuring that it is treated as a priority by the Government. Please do not hesitate to contact me at any time and I would be delighted to be of assistance if at all possible.
    0,170 Thurles Leisure Centre €95,000 Thurles Town Council for Pre-Approved schemes €200 million investment in Limerick Institute of Technology’s Limerick and Tipperary campuses
    €71,000 extra for road maintenance & major funding for Thurles bridge rehabilitation €66,000 MUGA Monakeeba €50,000 Thurles Walkway €25,000 Thurles Boxing Club Substantial funding for the CBS and the Presentation Secondary school and the Thurles international festival of hurling

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

alan kelly voted to cut social welfare, the fuel allowance, hike student fees and did nothing to prevent the down grading of Nenagh A&E.

He also openly said power is a drug, as the saying goes anyone who craves power should be kept far from it

alan kelly voted to cut social welfare, the fuel allowance, hike student fees and did nothing to prevent the down grading of Nenagh A&E.

He also openly said power is a drug, as the saying goes anyone who craves power should be kept far from it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

it

I'm sure you've links to all this and not your usual ramblings....

digzy wrote: »
    I'm sure you've links to all this and not your usual ramblings....

I never ramble, well not while sober:D I'll admit I can go on a bit when people defend/promote parish pump politics.

dole for under 25's cut two years ago, fee's increased after labour promised they wouldn't increase fee's if in government, alan kelly was in government for all these messures. Nenagh A&E was downgraded back in 2009/10 Alen Kelly has been in govt for five years and hasn't even suggested restoring 24 hour A&E service.

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/generationemigration/2013/10/16/cutting-dole-for-under-25s-will-accelerate-youth-emigration/
    http://www.thejournal.ie/budget-2013-government-announces-e250-hike-in-college-fees-703713-Dec2012/

I didn't realise you needed information spoon fed to you

tipptom wrote: »

While I enjoyed Pat Rabbite's quips and one liners in the Dail. He is the one who should keep his mouth shut. He did the Labour Party or for that matter any other party any favours when he said the following on television. Rabbite knew that he would not be standing for re election. And at that stage let his ego get the run of himself, thinking that he could get away with saying almost anything. And furthermore not caring.

Pat Rabbitte conceding that breaking election promises is to be expected.

Rabbittte admitted matter-of-factly “Isn’t that what you tend to do during an election?” when asked if he admitted to breaking pre-election vows.

He didn’t exactly pull a rabbit out of the hat by admitting that politicians will say one thing and do another in power, but we didn’t expect anyone to admit it on television.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement

The GE is about Ireland, not Tipperary, Mayo, Galway or Offaly in isolation. You need look at the bigger picture.

Personally, I would love to get rid of these Multi seat Constituencies and the PR system and have smaller ones on a one man one vote system. Say for Tipperary, have Clonmel, Tipperary Town, Thurles, Nenagh and one other, maybe Roscrea and ONE TD for each.

In the main I agree with your point but I would keep PR as it is the only chance we have of having diversity, say the Greens for instance and I would never rule out a single issue candidate especially where a Government proposal or decision is absolutely ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭EternalHope

True I guess. Back in my box now haha
    Don't know why you would say that, you are entitled to your view and i agree with you

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I have looked at the bigger picture and guess what, I still have no interest in Mayo Galway or Offaly! Like I say there is no such thing as a constituency of Tipperary when a large chunk of the county has been flung into Offaly. It should be called the constituency of 'most of Tipperary'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

The fact that Kelly has done nothing to dismantle the super quango that is Irish Water means I will never vote Fine Gael or Labour again.

Irish water to me typifies everything that is wrong in Irish politics sly back handers and public money being pissed away on consultants etc. If Irish water was set up in an open and transparent manner I would have no problem in paying for it. I will not pay for the super quango that is Irish water as it currently stands.

I foolishly expected politics to change in this country for the better after the last election only to become even more disillusioned with the way things were done during the term of this government. Pat Rabbitte simply confirmed what everybody knew.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

F34 wrote: »
    The fact that Kelly has done nothing to dismantle the super quango that is Irish Water means I will never vote Fine Gael or Labour again.

Irish water to me typifies everything that is wrong in Irish politics sly back handers and public money being pissed away on consultants etc. If Irish water was set up in an open and transparent manner I would have no problem in paying for it. I will not pay for the super quango that is Irish water as it currently stands.

I foolishly expected politics to change in this country for the better after the last election only to become even more disillusioned with the way things were done during the term of this government. Pat Rabbitte simply confirmed what everybody knew.
    Changes were needed to the Water system. Handling of the whole issue has been terrible and lots of mistakes made by the government and Irish water but if you wont vote FG or Labour again who would you vote for?

Changes were needed to the Water system. Handling of the whole issue has been terrible and lots of mistakes made by the government and Irish water but if you wont vote FG or Labour again who would you vote for?

I realise changes in the system needed to be made but what has happened is a complete mess with a lot of tax payers money poured down the drain literally.

Being honest I have no idea but I feel voting for either party is an endorsement for what they have done.

The minimum pricing for alcohol is another bug bear of mine. I also wanted to see public sector reform in this government and again nothing has been done in that regard.

This government promised a lot and delivered very little in my opinion also the pain we have suffer over the last couple of years is being pi$$ed away in bribing the electorate this time round.

Edit: actully if we had a Social Democrat candidate running in Tipperary I'd gladly get behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I realise changes in the system needed to be made but what has happened is a complete mess with a lot of tax payers money poured down the drain literally.

Being honest I have no idea but I feel voting for either party is an endorsement for what they have done.

The minimum pricing for alcohol is another bug bear of mine. I also wanted to see public sector reform in this government and again nothing has been done in that regard.

This government promised a lot and delivered very little in my opinion also the pain we have suffer over the last couple of years is being pi$$ed away in bribing the electorate this time round.
    Yes its been a mess and all involved will admit it has been far from smooth but what else can they do?
    If not voting for either who do you put as your 1/2/3?

Yes its been a mess and all involved will admit it has been far from smooth but what else can they do?
    If not voting for either who do you put as your 1/2/3?

Not waste 800m on consultants would have been a great start Not appointed John Tierney who has an abysmal record with regards to public projects Ayre Square in Galway and Poolbeg were all on his watch. Not employing failed county managers in Irish Water the list goes on tbh.

Irish water was in my eyes set up to reward loyal Fine Gael members with he right connections and yes every government does it but that in no way makes it acceptable.

Not waste 800m on consultants would have been a great start Not appointed John Tierney who has an abysmal record with regards to public projects Ayre Square in Galway and Poolbeg were all on his watch. Not employing failed county managers in Irish Water the list goes on tbh.

Irish water was in my eyes set up to reward loyal Fine Gael members with he right connections and yes every government does it but that in no way makes it acceptable.

Leaving Irish Water aside, do you not agree that FG/Lab have done a pretty decent job, seeing the size of the mess they were left?

Leaving Irish Water aside, do you not agree that FG/Lab have done a pretty decent job, seeing the size of the mess they were left?

Being honest no I wanted to see public sector reform which we won't see happening any time soon now and they will just keep throwing money at an unfit service.

Also one of the big parts of the Troika plan was to look at legal fees that has not been done in any manner shape nor form for some reason and is going to bite us in the ass with the way insurance costs are rising at worrying rates both for commercial and private customers.

Yes they were left an awful mess and due to a lot of outside contributing factors we are seeing improvements in the economy but I honestly believe we would have seen an upturn no matter who was in power.

Do you think they have done a good job and behaved in an acceptable manner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Being honest no I wanted to see public sector reform which we won't see happening any time soon now and they will just keep throwing money at an unfit service.

Also one of the big parts of the Troika plan was to look at legal fees that has not been done in any manner shape nor form for some reason and is going to bite us in the ass with the way insurance costs are rising at worrying rates both for commercial and private customers.

Yes they were left an awful mess and due to a lot of outside contributing factors we are seeing improvements in the economy but I honestly believe we would have seen an upturn no matter who was in power.

Do you think they have done a good job and behaved in an acceptable manner?

i think you make excellent points.
    However, whether we like it or not 'public sector reform' will never happen because it's too politically toxic. there's a few hundred thousand workers in it and a fair few of them are married......fianna fail have never tackled it, labour won't, FG wont either and sinn fein would make things worse. Renua have made reference to it but they'll get no mandate..

more patients on trolleys, a huge increase in homelessness, nearly 1 in 5 young people out of work

it's safe to say they haven't done great

more patients on trolleys, a huge increase in homelessness, nearly 1 in 5 young people out of work

it's safe to say they haven't done great

Can't deny the numbers of patients on trolleys or the rise in homelessness. However, the number of people in employment has risen by roughly 100,000 in the last 5 years and youth unemployment has fallen to 19% from 22%.

Can't deny the numbers of patients on trolleys or the rise in homelessness. However, the number of people in employment has risen by roughly 100,000 in the last 5 years and youth unemployment has fallen to 19% from 22%.
    what are the real figures if you deduct CE and other 'employment' schemes

what are the real figures if you deduct CE and other 'employment' schemes

They are not jobs. The participants on them are not employed.

They are included in job statistics as jobs. so the unemployment rate would be higher if they did not exist

what are the real figures for unemployment if you deduct CE and other 'employment' schemes

But they are removed from Jobless figures when they are moved onto various schemes. While there has been a lot of positive news for jobs and new ones have been created I unfortunately don't believe the numbers quoted there is far too much fudging of figures.

They are included in job statistics as jobs. so the unemployment rate would be higher if they did not exist

what are the real figures for unemployment if you deduct CE and other 'employment' schemes

Even if you deduct the number of CE/JobBridge participants, there are still thousands more working now than 5 years ago. FACT

Even if you deduct the number of CE/JobBridge participants, there are still thousands more working now than 5 years ago. FACT

No one is denying that Maryanne84 it is very disingenuous of the government saying they created 100,000 jobs while not being clear about where this figure has come from. I hate to say it but "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

• Advertisement

No one is denying that Maryanne84 it is very disingenuous of the government saying they created 100,000 jobs while not being clear about where this figure has come from. I hate to say it but "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

But it's just figures you have a problem with.

Advertisement