Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Elections. The Constituency of Tipperary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Can anyone explain to me why Siobhan Ambrose is doing so badly in the polls ?

She is young, articulate and intelligent, if there had been more Borough Councillors like her in Clonmel over the last twenty years maybe Clonmel Borough Council would still be in existence !

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Good call by Newstalk...They showed Alan Kelly for the arrogant bully he is!

*Witnesses said he was like a raving lunatic*

Wouldn't agree with you there.
    I don't know why Lowry is given special treatment. If I was one of the other candidates I'd be seriously peeved that lowrys given free reign whereas they get caught up in the usual Punch and Judy crack. Chris donohue gave him a seriously easy ride compared to his usual interview...you'd always be suspicious with newstalk/independent newspapers if the journalists are cognisant (rightly or wrongly) of the fact that Denis o brien is their ultimate boss. Didn't hear the rte interview.

On the other hand, newstalk is a private operation/ business which is primarily concerned with ratings. Obviously Lowry told em he wanted to go solo or he wasn't going on. Lowry is 'box office' and being honest is our only candidate that listeners nationally are fascinated with. Edititorally Perhaps they felt it's ridiculous to do a report from tipp without him- hamlet without the prince!

However, that doesn't mean that Kelly should've reacted in the reported manner.
    Sound like a man who's under pressure....id be surprised if he holds his seat.

digzy wrote: »
    without him- hamlet without the prince!

More of a case of Dr.Jekyl without Mr. Hyde or Dracula without the Vampire. (mine)

Kelly should've reacted in the reported manner.
    Sound like a man who's under pressure....id be surprised if he holds his seat.

Kelly was entirely right in what he did, it is becoming obvious now how he has got the nickname of AK47. He will hold his seat.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Labour’s Alan Kelly says he and his ‘young family’ face 'upsetting' threats to their safety.

In an emotional speech to supporters in his Tipperary constituency, the Environment Minister revealed that gardaí are in constant contact with him about ‘dissident' concerns.

The Minister says threats from water protesters and other elements targeted his wife and children and were ‘very nasty’.

Minister Alan Kelly says he is concerned about the threats facing his family.

Speaking at the launch of his election campaign in Nenagh last night, he explained, "I believe in always sharing everything with your family to make them fully aware of what's going on. There were some emotional times.

"The lads in the office got so much stuff - post, phone calls and other threats. It was just a difficult time," he added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭jonski

Xenophile wrote: »
    Labour’s Alan Kelly says he and his ‘young family’ face 'upsetting' threats to their safety.

In an emotional speech to supporters in his Tipperary constituency, the Environment Minister revealed that gardaí are in constant contact with him about ‘dissident' concerns.

The Minister says threats from water protesters and other elements targeted his wife and children and were ‘very nasty’.

Minister Alan Kelly says he is concerned about the threats facing his family.

Speaking at the launch of his election campaign in Nenagh last night, he explained, "I believe in always sharing everything with your family to make them fully aware of what's going on. There were some emotional times.

"The lads in the office got so much stuff - post, phone calls and other threats. It was just a difficult time," he added

"poor me, poor me, pour me another glass of champagne"

telpis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

jonski wrote: »
    "poor me, poor me, pour me another glass of champagne"

telpis

Are you saying threats to his wife and kids and members of staff is acceptable?

And no I'm not a supporter of AK47 but I do not and will not accept violence or threats of violence towards anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

And no I'm not a supporter of AK47 but I do not and will not accept violence or threats of violence towards anyone.

Agree entirely.
    Wasn't there a alleged bomb threat last year as well ?

Very coincidental.

To paraphrase Shakespeare - "The AK doth protest too much"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭jonski

Nope , thats not what I am saying .

I'm saying , I don't believe him, he is over exaggerating, he is playing the sympathy card and added into all that there is a little bit of you reap what you sow .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭touts

She is young, articulate and intelligent, if there had been more Borough Councillors like her in Clonmel over the last twenty years maybe Clonmel Borough Council would still be in existence !

FF HQ seem to be throwing all their backing behind Smith and Cahill. They are getting all the radio slots etc. Apparently she hasn't a fraction of the budget they have either. She's really getting shafted. I heard someone explain it that FF have targeted a seat in the North and will then target Mattie's seat in the south when he retires next time which is stupid considering the polls have him vulnerable this time.

Also the South doesn't seem to be energised as much as the North. Looking at the article in the Indo this morning there is a very real possibility of 4 seats in the North and only one in the South. The poll they had gave it:
    - Lowry is safe with 20K+ votes and increasing daily.
    - Healy is safe.
    - Coonan & Hayes in a battle for the third seat and you have to say it is relying on the distribution of a large Lowry surplus that would put Coonan ahead,
    - Smith & Cahill are fighting for a Fianna Fail seat.
    - Kelly, Morris & Mattie in a battle for the last seat and only 1 in the South (Healy) and with Kelly and Morris coming from Nenagh you would suspect one of those has the advantage when the other goes out.

So that would have it 4 from Tipp North (Lowry, Coonan, Cahill & Kelly) and only 1 from Tipp South (Healy). Hard to believe but if the polls are accurate unless the South gets behind some of their candidates like Ambrose & Mattie then they are going to lose out when the goodies are being handed out by the next government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭jem

That wont happen,
    Hayes will take the FG seat. So 2 south 1 middle and 1 north.

Re Ak of course he gave himself the name ak47, well he certainly did use it last Thursday.
    First of all refused to go on with lowry, then went ape sh1t when lowry was on his own first.
    Im the minister , I'm more important. Its all Denis O'Brien looking after his pal with his pet radio station being just some of the milder ones.
    He was in the biggest council housing estate in Tipp on Saturday. was effectively ran out of it.

That wont happen,

Re Ak of course he gave himself the name ak47, well he certainly did use it last Thursday.
    First of all refused to go on with lowry, then went ape sh1t when lowry was on his own first.
    Im the minister , I'm more important. Its all Denis O'Brien looking after his pal with his pet radio station being just some of the milder ones.
    He was in the biggest council housing estate in Tipp on Saturday. was effectively ran out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

I haven't seen sight bar election posters nor sound of her despite living in Clonmel even Cahill's minions were dropping stuff through the letter box at the weekend.

Frankly given what she said on the Vincent Brown people's debate she is utter clueless about the problems facing Clonmel Businesses with regards to rates and was more pre-occupied with re-instating the town council no doubt for their own benefit.

F34 wrote: »
    Frankly given what she said on the Vincent Brown people's debate she is utter clueless about the problems facing Clonmel Businesses with regards to rates and was more pre-occupied with re-instating the town council no doubt for their own benefit.

Point taken, she must not be aware that Clonmel has by far the highest business rates in the county. Alan Kelly is well aware of this, there is a proposal for rates equalisation in the county next year. This decision may be already made so it may be more than a proposal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

jem wrote: »
    That wont happen,

Elm Park?

[YOUTUBhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5gFLl_f70wE][/YOUTUBE]

Where is the proof that Kelly gave himself the nick name, he certainly had it before last Thursday.

By the way did Seamus Healy pay all the fines for late payments in Elm Park in respect of Property Tax which he urged them to withhold.

Try posting this into your browser!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5gFLl_f70w

Mattie, I don't think "jelly Kelly" is going to stick.

As it says in only "Fools and Horses", leave it out Rodney !

Point taken, she must not be aware that Clonmel has by far the highest business rates in the county. Alan Kelly is well aware of this, there is a proposal for rates equalisation in the county next year. This decision may be already made so it may be more than a proposal.[/quote

The rates in Clonmel are not a state secret ...It not just Jelly Kelly that knows that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Point taken, she must not be aware that Clonmel has by far the highest business rates in the county. Alan Kelly is well aware of this, there is a proposal for rates equalisation in the county next year. This decision may be already made so it may be more than a proposal.

To be honest the equalisation is only lowering them a small bit in Clonmel but raising them a lot in other parts of the County. Rates really need to be tied into business turnover and businesses need to see some tangible results from the rates they do pay

• Advertisement

To be honest the equalisation is only lowering them a small bit in Clonmel but raising them a lot in other parts of the County. Rates really need to be tied into business turnover and businesses need to see some tangible results from the rates they do pay

The aim is to eventually equalise them throughout the county.

Linking rates to turnover makes no sense. A business with a tremendous turnover can be loss making.

The old maxim applies "Turnover is Vanity, Profit is Sanity !

The rates in Clonmel are not a state secret ...It not just Jelly Kelly that knows that

Reverting to childish name calling is a clear sign of childish behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

I haven't seen sight bar election posters nor sound of her despite living in Clonmel even Cahill's minions were dropping stuff through the letter box at the weekend.

i notice more of her posters in Carrick than Clonmel, must be thinking the local vote is safe enough and trying to target areas that don't stand on the toes of the other FF candidates - the FF strategy in Tipp seems very diluted overall -

Reverting to childish name calling is a clear sign of childish behaviour.

You are happy enough to have him called AK47, but calling him Jelly Kelly is childish ?

Confused.com :confused:

Vizzy wrote: »
    You are happy enough to have him called AK47, but calling him Jelly Kelly is childish ?

Confused.com :confused:

I never said that I was happy to have him called AK47.

Of course, name calling like this is childish !

What's your interest in promoting a Welsh Insurance Company on this thread ?

I never said that I was happy to have him called AK47.

Of course, name calling like this is childish !

What's your interest in promoting a Welsh Insurance Company on this thread ?

I apologise, I will revert to calling him God so, for your benefit LOL

Vizzy wrote: »
    I apologise, I will revert to calling him God so, for your benefit LOL

I would prefer if you would call him God's Boss. :):):):):)

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2016/tnaiste-coy-on-cabinet-position-for-kelly-as-labour-plans-sugar-tax-34435947.html

Tánaiste Joan Burton has refused to say whether she will reappoint her deputy leader Alan Kelly to Cabinet if the Labour Party gets back into government.

Even his don't want him

jem wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2016/tnaiste-coy-on-cabinet-position-for-kelly-as-labour-plans-sugar-tax-34435947.html

Tánaiste Joan Burton has refused to say whether she will reappoint her deputy leader Alan Kelly to Cabinet if the Labour Party gets back into government.

Even his don't want him

Alan Kelly has a better chance of being re-elected than Joan Burton !

• Advertisement

Alan Kelly has a better chance of being re-elected than Joan Burton !

Kelly 3/10....Burton 4/7..
    Not much better,with those oddds,which are from Irelands leading bookie...

Advertisement