Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Elections. The Constituency of Tipperary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

What age is he anyway?

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Sorry cannot tell you his age.

This has been taken from his Website.

Born and reared in Roscrea, Co. Tipperary, Michael enjoys working at the heart of the community. Son of former Minister of Defence, Michael Smith, this candidate has adopted a most apt campaign slogan ‘Vote Young Smith’ which has been getting people excited countywide.

I don't think it's as easy as this to get the people of County Tipperary excited.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

Xenophile wrote: »
    this candidate has adopted a most apt campaign slogan ‘Vote Young Smith’ which has been getting people excited countywide.

Good lord! Who wrote that?@?!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Nice link here for Kelly supporters.

....not sure if serious.........

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement

Yes I am serious, it shows some of the human softer personal side of the man, the link to the website comes with a health warning to the anti Kelly brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

he thinks he's JFK

Yes I am serious, it shows some of the human softer personal side of the man, the link to the website comes with a health warning to the anti Kelly brigade.
    digzy wrote: »
    he thinks he's JFK

Told you that this would not appeal to the anti brigade !

Tbh I'm not pushed either way about kelly. However if labour are in government next time I hope he's part of it for the sake of tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Tbh I'm not pushed either way about kelly. However if labour are in government next time I hope he's part of it for the sake of tipp

just remember this when you are voting

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/householders-to-pay-for-recycling-718304.html

We indirectly pay for recycling as the producers already pay a fee to repak, so now we will pay twice.

• Advertisement

And now it seems that Alan Kelly has the final say when it comes to naming the date of the next election.

Enda Kenny must be saying about the former Minister of The Environment, Phil Hogan, where are you now when I need you most.

Kenny being a TD for over 40 years is too contaminated with the old style politics.

Yes, I hope he is a Government TD after the election. But it's high time he was a Government backbencher.

Some good points, for me though, and this goes for all candidates, his website has been built by a Dublin company. When I see a candidate drop in literature and its printed out of constituency or the website built out of constituency, from someone looking to represent local people, its a bad message and turns me off straight away.

His father (Michael Smith) never worried about keeping jobs in Tipperary (signed off on the sugar factory closure), why expect the son to be any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭golfball37

His father (Michael Smith) never worried about keeping jobs in Tipperary (signed off on the sugar factory closure), why expect the son to be any different.

That was Michael O Kennedy [not Smith], if its the Thurles plant you are talking about. He lost his seat because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭jem

touts wrote: »
    Did anyone see Michael Smith Jr new website. Voteyoungsmith. Young smith. His whole campaign is based on daddy used to have the seat so give it to me. Suicidal strategy. Most people under 40 wont remember his daddy and even if they did I think dynastic politics is more of a liability than a help these days especially when your daddy is now better known as one of the loyal henchmen of Haughey

First of all there was one line about his father. He is proud of him and why not mention it.If he didn't you would be complaining that he didn't.

Secondly there was never one whif of corruption about Smith Snr in fact he stated in the Dail that he had suspicions with regard to planning in Dublin and sent it immediately to the Guards to investigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭PearlJ

jem wrote: »
    First of all there was one line about his father. He is proud of him and why not mention it.If he didn't you would be complaining that he didn't.

Secondly there was never one whif of corruption about Smith Snr in fact he stated in the Dail that he had suspicions with regard to planning in Dublin and sent it immediately to the Guards to investigate.

I think its more the fact that he is using his father's history very blatantly in his campaign which is a bad move on his part. It hawks back to old Fianna Fail and the now negative connotations which that brings.

I have to say I have been disappointed with the FF campaign in Tipperary. Smith isn't doing well despite being a good Councillor and this website will do him no favours, Ambrose has failed completely to capitalise on her good performance on Vincent Browne and is no where to be seen and Jackie Cahill seems to be leading the field for FF in Tipperary despite the fact he is their poorest candidate.

Also the polls are making it hard to predict as most seem to disagree with each other bar the top 2 set to go through with Hayes and Lowry.

I find most have polls have Mattie losing his seat which I don't agree with, I think you would be foolish to rule him out.

The hardest one to predict is Kelly, he is doing well on the campaign but will his attitude and his work on Irish Water and the homelessness crisis sink him? Very hard election to call for Tipperary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭golfball37

jem wrote: »

Never a whiff of corruption but he was a liar. He claimed to have graduated with a degree from UCC in the early 60s and no doubt it helped his career ladder progression over someone more deserving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭touts

he thinks he's JFK

But there is more of a whiff of Nixon about him.

golfball37 wrote: »
    That was Michael O Kennedy [not Smith], if its the Thurles plant you are talking about. He lost his seat because of it.

You are of course correct, I got them mixed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

had a read of both Cahill and Smiths leaflets, I had to remind myself they were FF. They talk like men whose party hasn't stood over countless scandals

had a read of both Cahill and Smiths leaflets, I had to remind myself they were FF. They talk like men whose party hasn't stood over countless scandals

Their party isn't the only one that's 'stood over countless scandals'.
    Though rape isn't a scandal for some parties....

• Advertisement

Thats probably the one part of daddy's track record Smith Jr won't be trying to take credit for. And I DONT think Cahill wasnl even in Fianna Fail back then. He only entered politics to cash in on his ICMSA profile.

smith seems to be ff trying to win back the farmer vote(they're also promising to throw money at suckler farmers), I've yet to see what fg are promising this time out, nationally they've been pushing the whole 'recovery' thing. No matter what their manifesto says the pessimist in me says fg are guaranteed a seat if not two in tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

smith seems to be ff trying to win back the farmer vote(they're also promising to throw money at suckler farmers), I've yet to see what fg are promising this time out, nationally they've been pushing the whole 'recovery' thing. No matter what their manifesto says the pessimist in me says fg are guaranteed a seat if not two in tipp.

Two seats? Really? I don't know of they can bring in more than Hayes.

FG are guaranteed two seats. The problem is Lowry has one of them probably on the first count. Hayes will probably take another possibly on the second count from Lowry's transfers but most likely on the fifth or sixth count when Murphy goes out (the counts in between will be tiny eliminating and distributing the few hundred votes Dillon, Hofman and Fitzgibbon share). That'll leave Coonan as the last FG candidate standing and no where to get transfers from to catch up on Kelly. His elimination could see Kelly over the line.

Two seats? Really? I don't know of they can bring in more than Hayes.

as I said i'm a pessimist

And we're officially off.

Only 3 weeks left on this thread :-(

touts wrote: »
    And we're officially off.

Only 3 weeks left on this thread :-(

I am sure that we will continue the discussion until a new Government is formed and that might even mean another election. Spain held a General Election on the 20th.December 2015 and they have failed to form a Government, it could be that Spain may be facing another election.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I don't think anyone in FF tied a man to a JCB , filled it with Semtex and forced him to drive it into a police station or his family would be killed!

It's alive! The Alan Kelly Rap has resurfaced

The Alan Kelly Rap, the song used by Tipperary man in his MEP bid of 2009, has been found.

It was an instant classic. Lines like "His opinion isn't outdated like lino in kitchens and women like to say he looks like Brian O'Driscoll" prompted quotes like this from Labour's press office:

""The song instantly became an internet phenomenon when it was released ahead of the 2009 European elections. The rap song is one of the first ever political raps and the first of its kind in Ireland."

However, the tune vanished from the internet last year and sparked a search for answers.

Now here it is.

http://www.newstalk.com/election2016/The-Alan-Kelly-Rap-has-resurfaced

• Advertisement

I don't think anyone in FF tied a man to a JCB , filled it with Semtex and forced him to drive it into a police station or his family would be killed!

I doubt it but then again Dan Breen did line up every civic guard in Carlow and had a shot fired over their heads, the west cork brigade carried out numerous attacks on informers, and sean lemass shot british spys as they lay in their beds or walked down the street.

I personally think the actions of the IRA and the anti treaty forces were justified in the 1920s,

War is nasty business no matter the decade.

Advertisement