Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,380 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

jfh wrote: »
    I wonder what the outlay is for setting up the online functionality? Anyone know what the marts are paying

It would all depend on what you spec it at. You pay for how many can log on to your mart at any one time. I cannot imagine it would be expensive in the overall run of mart costs.

Another reason it will stay is it allow lads to.watch and see what stock are making.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Tileman

Anyone watching the machinery auction run by hennessy today.
    Anything of quality made good money. Some people got very carried away. Seen a 8ft landroller sell for 1000 plus cons soon. A 8ft land leveller sell for 900 plus commission. Better value on done deal I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

I wonder what the outlay is for setting up the online functionality? Anyone know what the marts are paying

Heard third hand that a mart paid 20k to go online, whatever that included I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

From memory there’s a modest setup fee. After that it’s something like 1 euro per animal SOLD ONLINE and 50 cent per calf SOLD ONLINE. Can’t remember exact figures but it’s somewhere in that ballpark.

timple23 wrote: »
    Heard third hand that a mart paid 20k to go online, whatever that included I don't know.

Internet connection. Your standard broadband connection is no use here. Fiber would be the best solution and a decent bandwith. Issus with that is it is only required 1 day a week at a lot of marts very few o beyond 2 days per week. I amazed more marts do not install dedicated Wi-Fi for customers to log onto in the yard. If they are charged/animal by an bidding provider a dedicated yard bidding solution would reduce costs. It would also take part of the bandwith demand from the bidding app.

As well you will have screen and equipment to interface with the bidding application provider. Camera's and transmitting equipment.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I can guarantee you thing it will not be done away with. It impossible to get the genie back in the bottle. If anything I expect marts to adapt to it. It will be really interesting to watch calf marts when the glut arrives next year. I expect that it will put a floor under calves in places like Brandon. If you can buy a batch of calves you can head away and collect them. You could even buy at two marts that are in a direct line from you
    We bought a good few calves on line this year without viewing them in the mart. I don't have time to drive an hour and a half away to look at potential purchases. Proper lighting in the ring is very important when buying online and black ended calves (AAx & HEx) are the most difficult to judge. Imo the marts need to publish the dams breeding on the mart board - it's on the cards now so it should be published. There are so many cross bred dairy cows/herds (JEx/Kiwi) using AA, HE and AU sires to try and disguise the JE/Kiwi influence and add value to the calves. These calves are the most difficult to judge on line. At this stage I look at the thickness of their cannon bone along with the general conformation to get an idea of the quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Started a thread on the sheep forum where we can discuss people thoughts on whether the exclusively online Marts are going to work well or not...With sheep I think it will be very hard for people to judge the level of feeding on stock when they can't see them in the flesh and also to spot problems like footrot or long hooves on them etc....someone mentioned it here as well that it will be very hard for likes of someone buying store cattle to judge how pushed the cattle are that they are interested in bidding on if they only get a fleeting look at them in the ring iykwim.

Anyone bought or sold cattle in these totally online sales over last few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,269 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Internet connection. Your standard broadband connection is no use here. Fiber would be the best solution and a decent bandwith. Issus with that is it is only required 1 day a week at a lot of marts very few o beyond 2 days per week. I amazed more marts do not install dedicated Wi-Fi for customers to log onto in the yard. If they are charged/animal by an bidding provider a dedicated yard bidding solution would reduce costs. It would also take part of the bandwith demand from the bidding app.

As well you will have screen and equipment to interface with the bidding application provider. Camera's and transmitting equipment.

That's a very good idea. Most could stay in their car/jeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I'm looking at Carrigallen mart tonight from NCD and the lighting in the ring is excellent. They are selling mature bulls at the moment and you can see them properly including their feet which is important when buying a bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Wi fi would be good in car park alright. If their going to invest heavy in it,their going to want to keep it after.

Covid will be to marts like what some claim the smoking ban was to pubs re the social element of it. Difference though is it could save and make them money in the long run with reduced insurance costs no. 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭MfMan

Tileman wrote: »
    Anyone watching the machinery auction run by hennessy today.
    Anything of quality made good money. Some people got very carried away. Seen a 8ft landroller sell for 1000 plus cons soon. A 8ft land leveller sell for 900 plus commission. Better value on done deal I think

Missed it, but spotted a new looking bale grab (red hands) on the catalogue. Any idea what it fetched? Also, the older tine grabs, can you remember what money any of them made?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

MfMan wrote: »
    Missed it, but spotted a new looking bale grab (red hands) on the catalogue. Any idea what it fetched? Also, the older tine grabs, can you remember what money any of them made?

Personally, I don't see the difference, farmers are stil allowed in at viewing times and that should be the only times farmers are allowed in amongst the pens in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Personally, I don't see the difference, farmers are stil allowed in at viewing times and that should be the only times farmers are allowed in amongst the pens in reality.

That’s alright on small sale days
    Agree that non mart staff should be away from moving stock
    It’s hard on big sale days to get all stock in for a time to allow cattle to be penned and viewing to take place before sale starts

Personally I think a change to layout is needed
    Maybe more overhead walkways and maybe the chute and pen prechute visible to all potential buyers

• Registered Users Posts: 21,269 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Insurance may eventually dictate it's all over head walks for cattle, public not allowed in penning area, only mart staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Tileman

MfMan wrote: »

Think the bale handler went for 800. All the prices are on the catalogue now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,741 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

We bought cattle.for years in marts.
    It was the usual routine. Constantly going in and out looking at cattle about to come in. You can't judge cattle from high up in the seats. You can't judge them either in packed pens.
    If the marts stop people looking at the pens and the ringside is crowded, they won't buy. Simple as that.
    Online bidding will stay. Might even be popular at ringside for those intimidated by tanglers.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

We bought cattle.for years in marts.
    It was the usual routine. Constantly going in and out looking at cattle about to come in. You can't judge cattle from high up in the seats. You can't judge them either in packed pens.
    If the marts stop people looking at the pens and the ringside is crowded, they won't buy. Simple as that.
    Online bidding will stay. Might even be popular at ringside for those intimidated by tanglers.

I think your idea of a reserve price was a good idea.

I think your idea of a reserve price was a good idea.
    That wasn't mine.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Online selling is a great advantage to the seller. What we have been doing is getting someone else using the app to put a reserve bid on the cattle.
    Worked against me once or twice as they only went as far as the bid we set. But a few weeks back we used it to great effect. We had 4 plain Whitehead store bullocks 500kg, I chanced a reserve bid of 1200. There was a few after the cattle and once the bidding started the bid went up above 1200 almost immediately and next thing lads were still bidding up to 1280. Very sweet price for them as I saw Charli make less money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Online selling is a great advantage to the seller. What we have been doing is getting someone else using the app to put a reserve bid on the cattle.
    Worked against me once or twice as they only went as far as the bid we set. But a few weeks back we used it to great effect. We had 4 plain Whitehead store bullocks 500kg, I chanced a reserve bid of 1200. There was a few after the cattle and once the bidding started the bid went up above 1200 almost immediately and next thing lads were still bidding up to 1280. Very sweet price for them as I saw Charli make less money

For that to work you need to know the correct value of the stock and the price varies from week to week .I saw a haulier bid up a calf he brought in to mart for a farmer ,he ended up with the calf twice at the same sale and there was great demand for calves the same day there are no fools either buying

• Advertisement

There is a well known limousin breeder in Clare, at that crack the whole time. He even gets his daughter to bid ringside. Only problem is everyone knows he does it.
    Got to the stage that nobody bothers to even bid on them now.

There is a well known limousin breeder at that crack the whole time. He even gets his daughter to bid ringside. Only problem is everyone knows he does it.
    Got to the stage that nobody bothers to even bid on them now.

There is a family in West Limerick that are at it as well. Generally there cattle would be badly done lighter stores. They enter the mart and bitting would take off to 20-30%% above there value. With the last 3-5 few years you hear the auctioneer nearly always say ''no sale no sale'' even though it would be a terrific price for the cattle involved. I remember about 5-6 years ago being on a bunch of them and dropped off at 430 they went to 620. I bought them for 450 he delivered them and transfer was done online. To get to the 450. Slaughtered some 12 months later for over 1k and the rest of them 20 months later hitting 1400 euro

If that sort of messing continues and a large portion of cattle are not sale marts will bring in a ring fee of 5+ euro

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

This is the exact reason that all online bidders should have their names displayed as they are bidding and the final purchasers name should be displayed at the end

This crack is rampant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Panch18 wrote: »
    This is the exact reason that all online bidders should have their names displayed as they are bidding and the final purchasers name should be displayed at the end

This crack is rampant

No they shouldn't, it up to whoever is bidding to put their own value on the animal. Its easy pull out of the race. Polling was worse when the ring was packed and you know who you were bidding against. It's rare enough you'd get 2 lads foolish enough to stay going well above market value anyway .

It's the young people who maybe starting out that I feel sorry for. They won't know if is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Value of a beast is arbitrary I always remember one dealer from Galway who had a right good job for around 600 cattle a year for a very weathly man from Meath..... Sure if I don't buy 'em I won't get paid. If his boss said to get cattle by God he got them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

It's the young people who maybe starting out that I feel sorry for. They won't know it is going on.

Unfortunately there is no such thing as free education, lad when I think of myself & the brainless farming & times I was codded starting out... Valuable life lessons.

Panch18 wrote: »

This crack is rampant

I do not think it is rampant. But the laws around the ring are falling apart over it. Lads that had bullied or held sway over other dealers now can no longer be guaranteed to rule the roost. Neither can they using knowledge acquired over years puff it up on buyers on the seats.

This leads to more competition around the ring just like ring bids were anonymous to lads seated up the back now online bids are anonymous to lads around the ring

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Sami23

Just wondering for these online auctions is it the Auctioneer himself that is opening the bidding as all I can see is the option to increase the current bid ?

• Advertisement

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Unfortunately there is no such thing as free education, lad when I think of myself & the brainless farming & times I was codded starting out... Valuable life lessons.

As my mother used to day bought sense is better than taught sense

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement