Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,185 ✭✭✭✭Base price

• Registered Users Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Well that's the sfp well gutted, 1 load on route home, neighbour has room for remainder in his trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭morphy87

That's already happening to a degree but it ties up staff and is another job that didn't exist before Wednesday. It becomes complicated in the office afterwards as you could have numerous lots into the one online account that have to be transferred afterwards. This is problematic if your dealing with numerous client's and it reduces down competition for stock if there's only a few lads buying for numerous other people.

Were they doing this in the Mart’s that you work in since Thursday since these new restrictions came in? Yeah you are right it can get awkward

• Registered Users Posts: 11,092 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Base price wrote: »

Level 5 is unworkable in hairdressers and clothes shops too and you know where they are now.
    Farmers should do their best to work around them considering the alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭cute geoge

wrangler wrote: »
    Level 5 is unworkable in hairdressers and clothes shops too and you know where they are now.
    Farmers should do their best to work around them considering the alternative

But is farming classed as an essential service where as clothes shops/hairdressers is not .The dept.of ag, are continuing with inspections and all staff are on duty so can i ask you why are marts singled out if they are sticking to guidelines of social distancing if we are supposed to be living with covid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,470 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

cute geoge wrote: »
    But is farming classed as an essential service where as clothes shops/hairdressers is not .The dept.of ag, are continuing with inspections and all staff are on duty so can i ask you why are marts singled out if they are sticking to guidelines of social distancing if we are supposed to be living with covid

Because of the age profile of people at the marts.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭foundation10

Covid restrictions and the levels are all based around facts and risks. So if the attendance at marts has been proven to present a risk the question needs to be asked of Government how many cases have arisen within a mart setting. If the numbers prove that attendance at marts are adding to the spread of virus then they must restrict access, if not they should be open subject to adhering to distancing/mask wearing/sanitising guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Restrictions on marts would be based upon what the Department of agricultural believes.

No more than any of the rest of us they wouldn't be right all the time.

I'm sure some changes could and should be made. Will they though??i very much doubt it.

They'd see it as undermining things as they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,092 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Covid restrictions and the levels are all based around facts and risks. So if the attendance at marts has been proven to present a risk the question needs to be asked of Government how many cases have arisen within a mart setting. If the numbers prove that attendance at marts are adding to the spread of virus then they must restrict access, if not they should be open subject to adhering to distancing/mask wearing/sanitising guidelines.

Some of the pictures and reports here about the behavior in marts wouldn't instill you with confidence

• Registered Users Posts: 21,192 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Are there only two online systems, LSL and Marteye?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Water John wrote: »
    Are there only two online systems, LSL and Marteye?

Martbids

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭adne

I think martbids the best.. most professional looking anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

adne wrote: »
    I think martbids the best.. most professional looking anyhow

I'd agree. Also it's got a search feature which I don't think is on lsl.

Was at a mart this week & it broke my melt with the buffering, missed out a few lots with my phone freezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,251 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

But they weren't. From what I saw one day last week going to collect cattle and I looked into the ring there was twenty lads huddled around the ring and no distancing. All the tanglers were hanging out if each other.

Marts managers make there own job hard by not implementing rules. Like the incident last week where some buyers are parking lorries at loading gate an hour or more before the mart ends.

Look at the masks rule it was only implemented in some marts on the last 1-2 weeks. It was exactly the same with the no smoking rules you still see it in some marts where lads come in around the ring with a cigarette in there hand.

You can often have teething problem with the technology. I imagine the problem is the numbers logging onto the system.

I saw the mart manager from Kenmare complaining last Thursday. I suspect either the internet connection is poor there probably never upgraded to fiber and maybe poor.mobile service around mart.

Marts knew this could happen for last six months. All marts should have fiber internet connection by now. They should also have installed WiFi networks around the mart carparks. If they had a buyer could log on with a labtop or pad and buy away.

Gortnalea was perfect last night. Prices as strong as ever and an odd bargain as well normal mart. I have sixty stores bought this year 15 direct from farms and 45 online. Never stood inside the door of a ring except to look in at the usual bolloxolgy

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

lsl crashed today? Was it on the news?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

52k for a Simmental bull today. Super looking animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

First time buying online today. Bought these 2 year and a half heifers. 410kg 910, 470kg 950. Thought they were good value. Out of a middling place weighing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

First time buying online today. Bought these 2 year and a half heifers. 410kg 910, 470kg 950. Thought they were good value. Out of a middling place weighing nothing.

Du know them before the sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Great looking stock. Great value imo

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Du know them before the sale?

No but I know the fella that had them.

• Advertisement

Jjameson wrote: »
    Great looking stock. Great value imo

Time will tell, Better value than a weanling anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

morphy87 wrote: »
    Were they doing this in the Mart’s that you work in since Thursday since these new restrictions came in? Yeah you are right it can get awkward

To an extent yes, I've bought stock this week for lad's that aren't using the online system for whatever reason. There's no person nominated for that job as such but we'd accommodate someone as required. I texted on suitable lot numbers to more buyer's who stayed at home today and they bid for them when the time came without seeing them in the flesh.

I'm just in the door from what was a large and successful organic sale. Seemingly it was a mixed day for marts throughout the country and hopefully we'll see a different approach in the coming week. There's a few on here very critical of marts atm, as with everything it's all very straight forward when your removed from the situation. As for stories about what does and doesn't go on I often wonder do some lads believe everything they hear or read.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,231 ✭✭✭tanko

52k for a Simmental bull today. Super looking animal.

He sure is, his sire was a bargain at 22,000 guineas a few years ago.
    Is there a clip of todays auction anywhere?

I see there's a video on thats farming on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

In fairness Albert there is a massive difference between a mart in Cork & 1 in Leitrim just as there is a massive difference in farming between both counties & what you make a living on in 1 you wouldn't in the other. As the saying goes far away hills are always greener, but you can't beat your on local mart. You ll have an idea of the stock & how they will go on if you buy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

tanko wrote: »
    He sure is, his sire was a bargain at 22,000 guineas a few years ago.
    Is there a clip of todays auction anywhere?

I see there's a video on thats farming on youtube.

https://thatsfarming.com/beef/video-e52000-for-clonagh-lucky-explorer-at-roscommon-mart/?amp=1

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭grange mac

But they weren't. From what I saw one day last week going to collect cattle and I looked into the ring there was twenty lads huddled around the ring and no distancing. All the tanglers were hanging out if each other.

Marts managers make there own job hard by not implementing rules. Like the incident last week where some buyers are parking lorries at loading gate an hour or more before the mart ends.

Look at the masks rule it was only implemented in some marts on the last 1-2 weeks. It was exactly the same with the no smoking rules you still see it in some marts where lads come in around the ring with a cigarette in there hand.

You can often have teething problem with the technology. I imagine the problem is the numbers logging onto the system.

I saw the mart manager from Kenmare complaining last Thursday. I suspect either the internet connection is poor there probably never upgraded to fiber and maybe poor.mobile service around mart.

Marts knew this could happen for last six months. All marts should have fiber internet connection by now. They should also have installed WiFi networks around the mart carparks. If they had a buyer could log on with a labtop or pad and buy away.

Gortnalea was perfect last night. Prices as strong as ever and an odd bargain as well normal mart. I have sixty stores bought this year 15 direct from farms and 45 online. Never stood inside the door of a ring except to look in at the usual bolloxolgy

I have been in kenmare mart. Problem is its surrounded by high hills all around it, few miles outside kenmare so doubt any fibre there and you will struggle to get any mobile reception there too.
    They only went online 2 weeks ago so still probably learning how to use the system.
    What added to his problems id say was with single bids the 'mart' may have been left with a number of animals.... Hence the pressure to get other bids.
    I was at a mart on Friday and it was a joke, usual tangles huddling outside mart door all with their phones, at least online can over ride that nonsense.

grange mac wrote: »
    I have been in kenmare mart. Problem is its surrounded by high hills all around it, few miles outside kenmare so doubt any fibre there and you will struggle to get any mobile reception there too.
    They only went online 2 weeks ago so still probably learning how to use the system.
    What added to his problems id say was with single bids the 'mart' may have been left with a number of animals.... Hence the pressure to get other bids.
    I was at a mart on Friday and it was a joke, usual tangles huddling outside mart door all with their phones, at least online can over ride that nonsense.

Ya I have been at that mart a few times. Like I said only getting online in last 2-3 weeks shows poor management. That's based in a small amount business estate about 3 miles from Kenmare. I have taught the fiber broadband from eir would be that far out if pushed. He a county councillor if I remember right.

It was noted over the years for ''single bidding'' as you put it. But online would have been a huge advantage if it had been put in place all summer. It goes back to those that survive are those that adapt. Kenmare is not exactly a small mart. It's a has large sheep sales in the autumn as well as weanling sales. However it can be very quite from May to early August.

Saturday was hopefully an anomaly across the bidding systems and hopefully they will have it sorted for next week. I say the problem was many lads were bidding from.home on computers, pads and labtops set to hi-resoulution and the bandwidth demand crashed the systems. This would have been Kenmare's problem but I suspect in there case it was there system that could not cope.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Were all the cattle that were bought to marts yesterday and taken home afterwards after being booked in have a movement attached to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    Were all the cattle that were bought to marts yesterday and taken home afterwards after being booked in have a movement attached to them.

Thought it’s not recorded as a movement but the days in herd starts from yesterday

• Advertisement

Sacrolyte wrote: »

No
    It will be logged on the CMMS but it not of farms/herd numbers that the cattle are in that count

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement