Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Wife works in local hospital and they put on the local mart on a screen for a few lads and they love it.might be an idea if you have a couple cocooning neighbour s to try sort it that they can watch it too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

K.G. wrote: »
    Wife works in local hospital and they put on the local mart on a screen for a few lads and they love it.might be an idea if you have a couple cocooning neighbour s to try sort it that they can watch it too

My Dad tunes into a few different marts each week....passes a few hours for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,251 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

In a way this is why systems crash. Everybody watching is taking up bandwidth. Marts have to adapt fast. Anybody now can log onto any mart anywhere in the country to buy cattle. You can buy bunches of cattle on marts 60-70 miles away. Marts on a Friday and Saturday's will have a terrific advantage. I think Gortnalea is great you can spin down Saturday morning to collect you purchases.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

In a way this is why systems crash. Everybody watching is taking up bandwidth. Marts have to adapt fast. Anybody now can log onto any mart anywhere in the country to buy cattle. You can buy bunches of cattle on marts 60-70 miles away. Marts on a Friday and Saturday's will have a terrific advantage. I think Gortnalea is great you can spin down Saturday morning to collect you purchases.

You can bring the man out Kerry, but not Kerry out of the man.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

Somebody should release recordings of these as box sets. Sure the auld lads wouldn't mind what years sales they were looking at. Reminds me of my grandfather and his friends of the same vintage. They used to be fascinated watching the old Hollywood westerns that had these big cattle drives. Used to always comment on the quality, or lack of it, of the cattle in the drives.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Somebody should release recordings of these as box sets. Sure the auld lads wouldn't mind what years sales they were looking at. Reminds me of my grandfather and his friends of the same vintage. They used to be fascinated watching the old Hollywood westerns that had these big cattle drives. Used to always comment on the quality, or lack of it, of the cattle in the drives.

Yeah but when a fellas cattle that they know come up for sale they get fierce interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Robson99

Hopefully the the complete **** show yesterday with modern technology will force the Govt to allow marts have a certain amount of buyers around the ring. Let the lads who are happy to take there chance buying off the telly buy on line and those that prefer to see them in the flesh get in ringside. Yesterday was a disaster for sellers and animal welfare for those that had to go home and come back again next week

• Registered Users Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Robson99 wrote: »
    Hopefully the the complete **** show yesterday with modern technology will force the Govt to allow marts have a certain amount of buyers around the ring. Let the lads who are happy to take there chance buying off the telly buy on line and those that prefer to see them in the flesh get in ringside. Yesterday was a disaster for sellers and animal welfare for those that had to go home and come back again next week

Talking to someone who buys a good few cattle and he said being allowed in ringside doesn't work either. You have to stay in your place and you can't go in and out to look at the cattle during the mart. Looking down from the top of the steps, you might as well be at home on the computer.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

I was bought a load of cattle at a mart Fri . Went in and wrote down the numbers of what I wanted, I bid away outside but my phone kept buffering & freezing.
    Bought a load at the start of the week ringside & there's no comparison whatsoever. Think I'll wait till ringside is back in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    I was bought a load of cattle at a mart Fri . Went in and wrote down the numbers of what I wanted, I bid away outside but my phone kept buffering & freezing.
    Bought a load at the start of the week ringside & there's no comparison whatsoever. Think I'll wait till ringside is back in action.

Sounds like buyers remorse! Sickening

• Advertisement

Talking to someone who buys a good few cattle and he said being allowed in ringside doesn't work either. You have to stay in your place and you can't go in and out to look at the cattle during the mart. Looking down from the top of the steps, you might as well be at home on the computer.

That is why probably I am comfortable buying online. You could never squeeze in around the ring in most marts. Some are actually grand from not too bad seats( Kilmallock and Castleislandfor instance)however more you need to be standing up as the seats are separated from the ring by a large walk way and seating is not steep enough or stars to low relative to ring(Listowel and Gortnalea).

It matters more buying forward stores rather than lighters stores. I finished buying this year anyway

Slava Ukrainii

You adapt to but it costs money. It took me a while to judge cattle up high from the seats but your eye will train to it. It the same with the online staying at home and judging online is more accurste. With lighter stores anyway

Slava Ukrainii

You adapt to but it costs money. It took me a while to judge cattle up high from the seats but your eye will train to it. It the same with the online staying at home and judging online is more accurste. With lighter stores anyway

It's all cows I buy. It's can't be done without seeing them first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Jb1989

News just said, no change to restrictions, online only, staying.

It's all cows I buy. It's can't be done without seeing them first.

You be surprised your eye trains itself in fast. If you overpaid someone pushed you to within 10 euro of them so he made a miscalculation as well. Never saw the benefit of looking at cattle in pens. Bunched in like that they are hard to judge. An animal that costs a hundred euro more has to hang 25kgs heavier and grade a notch higher to break even.

Then again I buy a store with time. You just work on an average over a summer. You are trying to get so many out in June/July, kill a bunch in August/Sept and manage the rest efficiency over the rest of the year.

I taught you couldn't lose money on cows

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Even allowing for pre sale inspection, whatever about the weight as most farmers will have a fair idea but you won’t know the age of the cattle.

Age is a big factor for me if I were buying as I’d need them to fit in the rest at home on a 30 month system. So essentially you will have to mark your lots and then be vigilant on the age and weight when they come into the ring (from online)

Would help if marts had a paper sheet with lot no.s , age,movement's,tb test date and breed if aa or he available in the pre sale viewing time.

Save wasting time watching out online for the lad only buying a small number and would also mean quicker viewing ,suiting all.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

Quick question. I’ve a few good quality Ch year and a half heifers. Out on grass, no meal, reckon weigh about average 550kg at moment. Debating selling them now or holding them on until Jan/Feb. Plenty of shed space and fodder. Just wondering what sort of daily weight gain would you expect out of them over the winter on silage with a 2/3 kilo of ration. Or would they need more than that to keep them going? Thanks

You be surprised your eye trains itself in fast. If you overpaid someone pushed you to within 10 euro of them so he made a miscalculation as well. Never saw the benefit of looking at cattle in pens. Bunched in like that they are hard to judge. An animal that costs a hundred euro more has to hang 25kgs heavier and grade a notch higher to break even.

Then again I buy a store with time. You just work on an average over a summer. You are trying to get so many out in June/July, kill a bunch in August/Sept and manage the rest efficiency over the rest of the year.

I taught you couldn't lose money on cows

Ha ha, try them for a year & see yourself,
    I can write a book as thick as the bible of hard luck stories & cows dying, mastitis, incalf etc etc
    I'd some run for 2 weeks last Aug, you think you'd be clear that time of year from misfortune.

I'd be thinking bass had his tongue firmly in his cheek when he typed that last line.

• Advertisement

ruwithme wrote: »
    I'd be thinking bass had his tongue firmly in his cheek when he typed that last line.

Ha ha thank god for that. Their harder to keep alive than snotty weanlings from a dealer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Robson99

Big problem I find is as Bass said is trying to judge them packed into a pen. When buying Contenintal cattle it can be hard to tell if they are full of meal or not when you only see them in a packed pen and then on the telly. Lads buying to finish off grass could end up with ones that will have to be finished out of the shed. Might no be as big a problem with dairy bred stores

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭morphy87

Would help if marts had a paper sheet with lot no.s , age,movement's,tb test date and breed if aa or he available in the pre sale viewing time.

Save wasting time watching out online for the lad only buying a small number and would also mean quicker viewing ,suiting all.

The local mart gives out a list before the sale, it gives every lot and includes the age,breed and who owns the cattle so you know everything about the lot before they enter the ring except the weight, it’s very handy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,185 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Most but not all LSL marts offer a online catalogue which can be viewed prior and during the sale. Afaik it updates as cattle arrive are uploaded into the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Sold 4 yellow whitehead charolais heifers today 296kg 780
    2 red lims 305kg 760
    And another charolais heifer 375kg 840.
    Thought the last one would make 900 but happy enough overall. Was a great touch for the 4 together.

Sold 4 yellow whitehead charolais heifers today 296kg 780
    2 red lims 305kg 760
    And another charolais heifer 375kg 840.
    Thought the last one would make 900 but happy enough overall. Was a great touch for the 4 together.

The online in Bandon was pretty crap today. Camera not showing picture but sound working away in parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

The online in Bandon was pretty crap today. Camera not showing picture but sound working away in parts.

The sooner the marts are back in real action the better

For me the online is only a means to an end in desperate times - i hope to god they do away with it as soon as this Carona thing is passed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Panch18 wrote: »

For me the online is only a means to an end in desperate times - i hope to god they do away with it as soon as this Carona thing is passed

I’d like it to stay
    Lots of times I’d be out to buy some cattle but have to leave for some reason
    For days like that I could go see all and leave before the sale and get someone at home to bid on the chosen lot numbers and save me going another day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭jfh

I wonder what the outlay is for setting up the online functionality? Anyone know what the marts are paying

• Advertisement

I can guarantee you thing it will not be done away with. It impossible to get the genie back in the bottle. If anything I expect marts to adapt to it. It will be really interesting to watch calf marts when the glut arrives next year. I expect that it will put a floor under calves in places like Brandon. If you can buy a batch of calves you can head away and collect them. You could even buy at two marts that are in a direct line from you

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement