Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Very very true Robson.
    There was cattle in Bandon Monday the the mart got trapped with Friday in skibb. To be fair one lot were short of price but the other lot made plenty & they still got stuck.

Often times when you see a mart getting stuck with high priced cattle there's more to the story. It's usually a staff member or some other person connected to the mart that was getting a turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

One of my best friends is an auctioneer and he always tells me you need to be a judge of both man and beast. He'd point out the difference between lad's when it came to buying and selling. Seemingly you could poll certain lads a €100 and they'd still be there come the fall of the hammer where as you could lose another man with a fiver bid.

Of course marts get caught with stock on a regular basis for whatever reason. It's how they deal with them that makes the difference, you might sell a few the next day or build them into a load for a regular client or order. It's only when the "yard" stock start becoming numerous and grossly loss making that the problems begin. I've often seen mart managers being the best customer's on days with poor trade but they'd get new paying homes for all stock soon after.
    This is it exactly Albert, any time I bought stock in the mart I used to bid on a few beforehand that I wouldn't really want and drop out just so the auctioneer would know I wouldn't be the most reliable of lads to be polling. I always have a price in my head for a beast before I start bidding and if I give a rob for them it's nobody's fault but my own. I actually think the online sales for all their flaws has done away with most of the bull**** that goes on around the ring. I often got a friend to give mine a tip along in the ring and have done likewise in return long before online sales began and there was always a man to go a fiver more. I don't see the harm in it if the man buying is willing to stay going. It goes on everywhere, I actually think there's less of it going on online because lads don't know who they are going against.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The speed that cattle can often go through online is a big change.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,741 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Danzy wrote: »
    The speed that cattle can often go through online is a big change.

Are they actually going through quicker? They don't seem to be. Maybe Albert could answer that

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭ruwithme

I would think they are. Sure no interaction with the seller for start. And no play acting by the auctioneer with the rail chaps

• Advertisement

Are they actually going through quicker? They don't seem to be. Maybe Albert could answer that

Sorry, many lots fly in the bidding when opened might be a better way to put it. Lads know the price better I think now with online and go near the price quick and let who wants it most win.

Christ above I've seen more cattle sold in the last 2 months than the previous 5 years ��

I was of the opinion that 100% online selling was slower if anything than the conventional method. Perhaps I'm biased towards it and the absence of people and banter from around the ringside makes the day seem to go slower. I'd imagine that both methods require a similar timescale if scrutinized.

Since all stock are now sold on the market and there's no consultation with the seller there shouldn't be as many delays. However seeing as the auctioneer has to wait for the final countdown to allow under bidder's a last chance it's slowed it down in another way. The biggest problem atm from my experience is in the office afterwards. Between social distancing and trying to establish whether subject stock are being given or not it's a hectic few hours for the staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Sami23

Suppose the weanling heifers were on till half 7 I think.

Kanturk was a sh1t show today for weanling heifers, heap of no sales. Friend of mine bought heifers 300kg €470. He said he'd have easily given €550 600 for them. That's a balls for both seller & buyer.

Why is it a balls for the buyer when he's buying cheap cattle ?

Sami23 wrote: »
    Just wondering for these online auctions is it the Auctioneer himself that is opening the bidding as all I can see is the option to increase the current bid on the apps ?

Anyone ????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Anyone ????

Yes, auctioneer opens them, generally low enough in my opinion

• Advertisement

Yes, auctioneer opens them, generally low enough in my opinion

Agree fully - at least 50 euro too low every time

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Does Marteye work on android phones. A neighbour asked me to get it to work on his phone and I cannot find an app. OH and I have iphones and it works on them.

Base price wrote: »
    Does Marteye work on android phones. A neighbour asked me to get it to work on his phone and I cannot find an app. OH and I have iphones and it works on them.

You don't need the app just to look at marts anyway.
    Just search Marteye in Google and select whatever mart you want to see

Yes, I downloaded the app but I can't remember how I went about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Any chance one of the mods might come out of slumber and put this on its own thread or move it to chitchat. I'm guilty too but I thought this thread is handy for throwing up prices of stock and leaving the chat to a different thread

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

Any chance one of the mods might come out of slumber and put this on its own thread or move it to chitchat. I'm guilty too but I thought this thread is handy for throwing up prices of stock and leaving the chat to a different thread

Nothing stopping lads throwing up prices

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Yes, I downloaded the app but I can't remember how I went about it.
    I found it on google play but it won’t download. I connected the phone to our WiFi but it’s still not working 😡

I found it on google play but it won’t download. I connected the phone to our WiFi but it’s still not working 😡

I'd be out of my league there tbh. I'm able to work my own and that's the total of my technical skills. If I got rooting at it myself I might have some chance but I'm a very bad teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Why is it a balls for the buyer when he's buying cheap cattle ?

Because he wanted cattle, no dope is going to sell them 150 cheap.

I bought weanling heifers in Kanturk on Tuesday. Suckler bred AAx off limousine x cows, 295 kgs, early April, 530 euros. Really class shapes.

Got a 525kg heifer for 450, she has a twist in her spine but she looks very healthy, so it might not be the only twist.

And a few more lots significantly cheaper than last week.

Great for the buyer but many sellers didn't feel good going home and that will catch up with us all.

• Advertisement

Because he wanted cattle, no dope is going to sell them 150 cheap.

Kanturk mart had a lot of its buyers from the 6 counties last week. Something crazy like half but would have to check.

And even then bidding wasn't that hot.

North Cork sopping wet after today.

It'll be a big sale next week I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Danzy wrote: »
    Kanturk mart had a lot of its buyers from the 6 counties last week. Something crazy like half but would have to check.

And even then bidding wasn't that hot.

North Cork sopping wet after today.

It'll be a big sale next week I'd say.

Probably my favourite mart in Cork for store cattle. Well bred enough & not over done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Had a couple of marts on last night. Thought weanling bulls were well back

There's a serious amount of clearance or breeding heifer sales coming up in the next 2 weeks. Donedeal is full of them.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Watching the incalf heifers selling in Elphin mart now. Most from1800 to 2000. Great quality, but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Watching the incalf heifers selling in Elphin mart now. Most from1800 to 2000. Great quality, but still.

Thought they weren't mad dear, some were old enough, watch them Friday night and they'll be cracked

Thought they weren't mad dear, some were old enough, watch them Friday night and they'll be cracked

It wouldn't be uncommon to see a 4 year old first calf heifer in Elphin, there was a few lads used to buy average type coloured overage heifers and bull them. Even a middling heifer would look well at 4 and a bit year's old coming off a good place and nothing to mind only herself. As for Martin's sale fair play to him he's cornered his market but I do think it's at the stage where having his name on the board would put €200 minimum on the price of a springer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

It wouldn't be uncommon to see a 4 year old first calf heifer in Elphin, there was a few lads used to buy average type coloured overage heifers and bull them. Even a middling heifer would look well at 4 and a bit year's old coming off a good place and nothing to mind only herself. As for Martin's sale fair play to him he's cornered his market but I do think it's at the stage where having his name on the board would put €200 minimum on the price of a springer.
    Other side if he’s interested in a heifer he’ll get competition

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

It’s still plenty to be giving for them.

• Advertisement

josephsoap wrote: »
    It’s still plenty to be giving for them.

Just goes to show there's still Farmers out there with more money than sense

Advertisement