Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

As my mother used to day bought sense is better than taught sense

Haha she was right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

cute geoge wrote: »
    For that to work you need to know the correct value of the stock and the price varies from week to week .I saw a haulier bid up a calf he brought in to mart for a farmer ,he ended up with the calf twice at the same sale and there was great demand for calves the same day there are no fools either buying

It's more you can have a price that you are happy with and have it bidded up to that price. You get the option after to say yes or no to the price you are getting.
    I'm happy doing this as I remember selling stock and having the dealers start them at way under the value of the cattle. By the time the price had climbed up it never had a chance of making good money. This way the price gets bidded up fast and now its the buyer getting caught in the momentum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Online selling is a great advantage to the seller. What we have been doing is getting someone else using the app to put a reserve bid on the cattle.
    Worked against me once or twice as they only went as far as the bid we set. But a few weeks back we used it to great effect. We had 4 plain Whitehead store bullocks 500kg, I chanced a reserve bid of 1200. There was a few after the cattle and once the bidding started the bid went up above 1200 almost immediately and next thing lads were still bidding up to 1280. Very sweet price for them as I saw Charli make less money

I pity the lad that paid €1280 for them. He’ll be doing well to get 1400 for them next autumn.
    I’ve paid 1100 and 1200 for good u grade Charolais stores this back end but that money for wh’s is daft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

I'd say he'd be doing well to get his money back on them.
    It's happening now a fair bit. It has gotten harder for the buyer. I know some of the Silver haired folks don't understand whats going on and are blaming the auctioneer.
    but shur when in Rome ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

No they shouldn't, it up to whoever is bidding to put their own value on the animal. Its easy pull out of the race. Polling was worse when the ring was packed and you know who you were bidding against. It's rare enough you'd get 2 lads foolish enough to stay going well above market value anyway .

of course they should

As is already pointed out fellas driving the price of their own cattle on - was it 80 euro a head mentioned on 1 bunch of cattle alone

When you're around the ring you can see who's bidding and who you are competing against and who is driving the cattle on in you if that's the case - anonymity is a recipe for swindling and driving cattle on

It's a disgrace that the details aren't being published

• Advertisement

I do not think it is rampant. But the laws around the ring are falling apart over it. Lads that had bullied or held sway over other dealers now can no longer be guaranteed to rule the roost. Neither can they using knowledge acquired over years puff it up on buyers on the seats.

This leads to more competition around the ring just like ring bids were anonymous to lads seated up the back now online bids are anonymous to lads around the ring

It was happening plenty when you could see it in person - it would be very foolish to thing that it hasn't exploded now that people have the anonymity of the online

Will see how it develops but unless something changes I'll certainly be buying a lot more cattle direct and through donedeal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭ruwithme

In local mart earlier pre sale, 125 store heifers and stronger,any amount of additional pens available to split up stock for a better appreciation of them. But no,they were penned in like normal times.

Plenty of staff in this mart,so lack of staff wasn't a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Panch18 wrote: »
    of course they should

As is already pointed out fellas driving the price of their own cattle on - was it 80 euro a head mentioned on 1 bunch of cattle alone

When you're around the ring you can see who's bidding and who you are competing against and who is driving the cattle on in you if that's the case - anonymity is a recipe for swindling and driving cattle on

It's a disgrace that the details aren't being published

I think you are wrong. It doesn't matter what anyone else does in the mart, look after you're own business and let everyone else look after theirs. Tis no good driving cattle on if you haven't a man to outbid you at the end of it. You'll only get swindled if you are foolish enough to get swindled, if you think a lad is taking you for a spin leave them to him. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭tanko

No they shouldn't, it up to whoever is bidding to put their own value on the animal. Its easy pull out of the race. Polling was worse when the ring was packed and you know who you were bidding against. It's rare enough you'd get 2 lads foolish enough to stay going well above market value anyway .

Well said , the lads that are complaining about online bidding are the same lads who would bull up the price of an animal if a farmer dared to bid for a couple of animals around the ring. Certain lads mustn't be getting as many cheap cattle as they did when they could intimidate other buyers around the ring before online bidding came in.

I think you are wrong. It doesn't matter what anyone else does in the mart, look after you're own business and let everyone else look after theirs. Tis no good driving cattle on if you haven't a man to outbid you at the end of it. You'll only get swindled if you are foolish enough to get swindled, if you think a lad is taking you for a spin leave them to him. Simples.

And how do you tell if a lad is taking you for a swindle when you can't see or don't know who this lad is? He's just a figment of a computer screen.

• Advertisement

I really don't get how lads think its fine to bid on their own cattle

Take the housing market for example - you don't get lads bidding on their own house for sale - you put it out on the market, let those bid who want to bid and then accept or decline as is your right

It was and should be the same with cattle

But if lads are going to f##k around by bidding on their own then the online will die a death very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Tileman wrote: »
    Anyone watching the machinery auction run by hennessy today.
    Anything of quality made good money. Some people got very carried away. Seen a 8ft landroller sell for 1000 plus cons soon. A 8ft land leveller sell for 900 plus commission. Better value on done deal I think

What apps are the machinery auctions on or where do I find them?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I really don't get how lads think its fine to bid on their own cattle

Take the housing market for example - you don't get lads bidding on their own house for sale - you put it out on the market, let those bid who want to bid and then accept or decline as is your right

It was and should be the same with cattle

But if lads are going to f##k around by bidding on their own then the online will die a death very quickly

During the boom, do you really believe that developers weren't driving up their own houses. It happens in every market. It's like the old fashioned cattle dealing at the crossroads. In a way, nothing has changed.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

During the boom, do you really believe that developers weren't driving up their own houses. It happens in every market. It's like the old fashioned cattle dealing at the crossroads. In a way, nothing has changed.

Shur developers didn't have to drive up their own houses - there was more than enough people buying - hence how the boom started

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Dunedin wrote: »
    What apps are the machinery auctions on or where do I find them?
    LSL have Hennessy's machinery, Manorhamiliton machinery and Mullingar car/van auctions. I assume Marteye has Ballyduff machinery sale cause they have the livestock sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭MfMan

Tileman wrote: »
    Think the bale handler went for 800. All the prices are on the catalogue now

Cheers. Is the catalogue available online anywhere? Can't access it I think on LSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,382 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Shur developers didn't have to drive up their own houses - there was more than enough people buying - hence how the boom started

It was rife during the boom. Auctioneers had there own mortgage brokers and knew how much if a loan you were approved. You were then bid up to this price. If you were buying an older house after you bid to a certain price on a house every house you bid on after that went to that price. Auctioneers used to chat to each other on a Friday evening in the pub and give details on customers ability to bid on houses.

Slava Ukrainii

And nothing to do with the fact that when new developments came up for sale you had people literally sleeping outside the auctioneers - sometimes for days on end - to get a chance to buy a 2 bed apartment - that if they were lucky they had 5 mins to check out before they had to sign and pay a deposit immediately

They didn't need to meet in the pub on a Friday night and exchange buyer details because they had so many buyers it didn't matter.

But shur its a great story

• Registered Users Posts: 18,382 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

And nothing to do with the fact that when new developments came up for sale you had people literally sleeping outside the auctioneers - sometimes for days on end - to get a chance to buy a 2 bed apartment - that if they were lucky they had 5 mins to check out before they had to sign and pay a deposit immediately

They didn't need to meet in the put on a Friday night and exchange buyer details because they had so many buyers it didn't matter.

But shur its a great story

Builders set the price of there development. However if there is choice they can only bull prices do far. In 2006/7 banks were bank rolling developers and most of these were not real developers but ordinary individuals who owned a bit of development land to complete a development before any houses were sold. This created false demand, but part of this false demand was driven by auctioneers using insider trading information on individuals to bump up price.

In 2006 my BIL went to 280k on an 1950's large three bedroom house that was in fair condition. He was the runner up. He went to bid on am ordinary 4 bed semi D 1970's build and was bid up to 260 before he dropped off. Auctioneers came back a month later to say other bidder had fallen off and his bid of 260 would be accepted. BIL was told there was a third bidder. I told him to sit tight and sure enough Auctioneer came back at 250K. He did a bit of investigation it seems auctioneer had bought the house himself 12 months previously for around 200k and was watching to flip it.

It was rife Primetime did a program on what auctioneer and mortgage broker firms were at. It was not all down to silly Joe sitting outside a development waiting for them to go on sale

Slava Ukrainii

Builders set the price of there development. However if there is choice they can only bull prices do far. In 2006/7 banks were bank rolling developers and most of these were not real developers but ordinary individuals who owned a bit of development land to complete a development before any houses were sold. This created false demand, but part of this false demand was driven by auctioneers using insider trading information on individuals to bump up price.

In 2006 my BIL went to 280k on an 1950's large three bedroom house that was in fair condition. He was the runner up. He went to bid on am ordinary 4 bed semi D 1970's build and was bid up to 260 before he dropped off. Auctioneers came back a month later to say other bidder had fallen off and his bid of 260 would be accepted. BIL was told there was a third bidder. I told him to sit tight and sure enough Auctioneer came back at 250K. He did a bit of investigation it seems auctioneer had bought the house himself 12 months previously for around 200k and was watching to flip it.

It was rife Primetime did a program on what auctioneer and mortgage broker firms were at. It was not all down to silly Joe sitting outside a development waiting for them to go on sale

An auctioneer manipulating a property price to suit his/her own agenda is rife, and always has been - however there is a big difference between that and the lads meeting up down the pub on a friday night to give each other info on how much Johnny and Mary will pay for a 3 bed semi in a new estate - they simply didn't have to and really didn't give a damn about Johnny and Mary to begin with.

If you are talking about an unusual or marquee property then perhaps - but for the vast majority they didn't give a damn because they simply didn't need to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

What marts could do now is open the bidding themselves online without anyone knowing. This would speed things up big time for them.

Or even a seller could put an opening reserve himself if he wished to do so. Nothing wrong with it. Seller would have to be realistic though. :rolleyes:

Sorry Patsy, this is the post I was referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭Robson99

A good Auctioneer is as good as any man around the ring to push on the price of cattle. A good one would nearly tell to within a tenner what particular leads will pay. I say nearly as sometimes the Auctioneers / Marts get caught with cattle pushing them for the seller

Robson99 wrote: »
    A good Auctioneer is as good as any man around the ring to push on the price of cattle. A good one would nearly tell to within a tenner what particular leads will pay. I say nearly as sometimes the Auctioneers / Marts get caught with cattle pushing them for the seller

Very very true Robson.
    There was cattle in Bandon Monday the the mart got trapped with Friday in skibb. To be fair one lot were short of price but the other lot made plenty & they still got stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Sorry Patsy, this is the post I was referring to.

Oh right. :D

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭grange mac

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Very very true Robson.
    There was cattle in Bandon Monday the the mart got trapped with Friday in skibb. To be fair one lot were short of price but the other lot m
    ade plenty & they still got stuck.

Big or small cattle... I was bidding heavy on weanlings but knew when to stop.... Its true.. Very easy to over bid.

grange mac wrote: »
    Big it small cattle... I was bidding heavy on weanlings but knew when to stop.... Its true.. Very easy to over bid.

Suppose the weanling heifers were on till half 7 I think.

Kanturk was a sh1t show today for weanling heifers, heap of no sales. Friend of mine bought heifers 300kg €470. He said he'd have easily given €550 600 for them. That's a balls for both seller & buyer.

grange mac wrote: »
    Big or small cattle... I was bidding heavy on weanlings but knew when to stop.... Its true.. Very easy to over bid.

An Angus weanling heifer at 500 & a pair of ch wearing heifers at 670.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

In the end its all down to buyer and seller knowing value of cattle,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

And how many auctioneers knock cattle down to them selves there is a local one here who always has a fella and truck bringing in cattle on the mart nights that has stopped this year tho and hes supposed to be selling all his bales so.... also another one at our local mart has his own truck outside the mart so I'd say hes at it too

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

One of my best friends is an auctioneer and he always tells me you need to be a judge of both man and beast. He'd point out the difference between lad's when it came to buying and selling. Seemingly you could poll certain lads a €100 and they'd still be there come the fall of the hammer where as you could lose another man with a fiver bid.

Of course marts get caught with stock on a regular basis for whatever reason. It's how they deal with them that makes the difference, you might sell a few the next day or build them into a load for a regular client or order. It's only when the "yard" stock start becoming numerous and grossly loss making that the problems begin. I've often seen mart managers being the best customer's on days with poor trade but they'd get new paying homes for all stock soon after.

Advertisement