Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Have you just forgotten McFadden or do you think he'll make the RWC?

Nope, just forgot him. So Kearney/McFadden would be involved for the 11 jersey, loser gets 23.

I think Leavy would start over Locky, and also Moloney seemed to be favoured to Beirne last season.

True about Moloney actually... I wonder if Locky may start ahead of Leavy as we'd be a bit light on body movers. Both Ryan and Leavy are very similar in style.. also Locky could be captain in a team like that.

dregin wrote: »
    Would expect to see Mick Kearney get a bit of game time early on.

Won't be back from injury apparently.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

.ak wrote: »
    Won't be back from injury apparently.
    Ah, didn't know he was out. What's up with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I think Leavy would start over Locky, and also Moloney seemed to be favoured to Beirne last season.

Didn't Beirne only get a short term contract where-as Thornbury got a full-time one? Would he not be ahead of both Moloney and Beirne so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

.ak wrote: »
    Nope, just forgot him. So Kearney/McFadden would be involved for the 11 jersey, loser gets 23.

What about Isa to fullback with Kirchner/Kearney/McFadden fighting it out for the wings?

Clearlier wrote: »
    What about Isa to fullback with Kirchner/Kearney/McFadden fighting it out for the wings?

Yep, my take:

Byrne Byrne Furlong
    Denton McCarthy
    McLaughlin Conan Ryan

McGrath Marsh
    Reid Te'o
    D Kearney Nacewa McFadden

Dundon, Hagan, RBF, Thornbury, VDF/Leavy, Hoffman, Byrne, Kirchner/Fanning

All that assumes Isa is back up to speed. If not he goes to the bench and Kirchner or D Kearney start at FB. If Dave does then Fanj goes to the wing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 bessiem8

molloyjh wrote: »
    Didn't Beirne only get a short term contract where-as Thornbury got a full-time one? Would he not be ahead of both Moloney and Beirne so?

Molony still in academy though, Thornbury was graduating it was either give him a contract or lose him.

Molony is ahead of both Thornbury and Beirne.
    Which was seen last year when he debuted at 20.

Dominic Ryan is not a natural 7. Hopefully they realise that and let Leavy/JVDF start there to give backrow more balance.

Rather see Byrne start ahead of Marsh

Also Hoffman hasn't been signed as of yet. Certainly not training with the team as of last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

No Fanning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Kirchner is starting for the Boks this weekend. Not sure we can rule him out of their RWC squad.

All that assumes Isa is back up to speed. If not he goes to the bench and Kirchner or D Kearney start at FB. If Dave does then Fanj goes to the wing.

What am I reading. Nacewa would have to be knocking about the pitch at walking speed to bench behind Fanning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

stephen_n wrote: »
    No Fanning?

This discussion is about the team that plays during the world cup, so Fanning won't be around.

1.Byrne
    2.Bryne
    3.Furlong
    4.Denton/Molony
    5.McCarthy
    6.Ryan/Mclaughin
    7.Leavy/JVDF
    8.Conan
    9.McGrath
    10.Byrne
    11.Kearney
    12.Reid
    13.Teo
    14.McFadden
    15.Nacewa
    16.Dundon/Tracy
    17.Hirst/Dooley
    18.Hagan/RBF
    19.Denton/Molony
    20.One of two not starting
    21.McCarthy
    22.Marsh
    23.Kelleher

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

This discussion is about the team that plays during the world cup, so Fanning won't be around.

Sadly I think that is the last we have seen of Daragh Fanning with Leinster. Once he becomes World Rugby Player of the Year after a starring role at the World Cup Mourad Boudjellal will pay Leinster 100 BILLION DOLLARS to sign him immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Dont remember any talk of it at the end of last season but presumably they tried to get Jennings to play on till after the WC? Surely a few pro12 games were well doable.

Dont remember any talk of it at the end of last season but presumably they tried to get Jennings to play on till after the WC? Surely a few pro12 games were well doable.

he was breaking down as is, much rather Leavy/Van Der Flier get the experience and gametime.. who ever plays 6 will have plenty of experience anyway.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RichieRich89

1. Byrne
    2. Dundon (better thrower than Byrne)
    3. Furlong
    4. Moloney (would probably complement McCarthy better than Denton would)
    5. McCarthy
    6. McLaughlin/Ryan
    7. Leavy/van der Flier
    8. Conan
    9. McGrath
    10. Marsh
    11. McFadden
    12. Te'o
    13. Reid
    14. Kearney
    15. Nacewa

16. Byrne
    17. Dooley
    18. Burke-Flynn (Hagan's better, but we need to develop another TH option)
    19. Denton
    20. *one of the flankers who doesn't start
    21. McCarthy
    22. Byrne (Crosbie if Byrne isn't back from injury)
    23. Kelleher

I wouldn't pick any NIQs over guys who just missed the WC squad (Kirchner over Kearney, say), because they need every chance to showcase what they've got in case there are injuries in the 31

Edit: Think I'd have Darcy at 12 alongside Reid instead of Te'o if he doesn't make the WC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Mick Kearney?

Hagz wrote: »
    Mick Kearney?

injured til octoberish

1. Byrne
    2. Dundon (better thrower than Byrne)
    3. Furlong
    4. Moloney (would probably complement McCarthy better than Denton would)
    5. McCarthy
    6. McLaughlin/Ryan
    7. Leavy/van der Flier
    8. Conan
    9. McGrath
    10. Marsh
    11. McFadden
    12. Te'o
    13. Reid
    14. Kearney
    15. Nacewa

16. Byrne
    17. Dooley
    18. Burke-Flynn (Hagan's better, but we need to develop another TH option)
    19. Denton
    20. *one of the flankers who doesn't start
    21. McCarthy
    22. Byrne (Crosbie if Byrne isn't back from injury)
    23. Kelleher

I wouldn't pick any NIQs over guys who just missed the WC squad (Kirchner over Kearney, say), because they need every chance to showcase what they've got in case there are injuries in the 31

Byrne isnt injured

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

How is Thornbury looking? With Douglas gone will we get to see a bit of him from the bench this year?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Yep, my take:

Byrne Byrne Furlong
    Denton McCarthy
    McLaughlin Conan Ryan

McGrath Marsh
    Reid Te'o
    D Kearney Nacewa McFadden

Dundon, Hagan, RBF, Thornbury, VDF/Leavy, Hoffman, Byrne, Kirchner/Fanning

As much as I love him, I think Isa with the responsibility at fullback is risky business for his first few games back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

As much as I love him, I think Isa with the responsibility at fullback is risky business for his first few games back.

I'm dyinng to see Isa back again in the RDS, but do not have overly high hopes for him. Having him in the squad during the RWC is the big plus for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Surely the point of the pre-season matches is to address things like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Clearlier wrote: »
    Surely the point of the pre-season matches is to address things like this?

Definitely. Throw him in against Ulster, see how he gets on.

It's certainly a risk, but I'm going to remain positive. For a change! :D

sydthebeat wrote: »
    How is Thornbury looking? With Douglas gone will we get to see a bit of him from the bench this year?

still physically maturing and filling out, as he is still only 21.

i'd be hopeful he'd get some time off the bench this year and hopefully keep progressing.. more of a project ala Dave Foley/Devin Toner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

It's certainly a risk, but I'm going to remain positive. For a change! :D
    I'll believe that when I see it. (actually I won't see it, I'm away for the first game, but I'll ask the Pit to observe you closely.)

Eponymous wrote: »
    I'll believe that when I see it. (actually I won't see it, I'm away for the first game, but I'll ask the Pit to observe you closely.)

Ha, the wife wanted me to go away on holidays for the first game too. I took one look at her and told her I wasn't missing Isas return. He better feckin' play that day now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Ha, the wife wanted me to go away on holidays for the first game too. I took one look at her and told her I wasn't missing Isas return. He better feckin' play that day now!

Isa may be a good looking guy to some. Whatever. But turning her down for a bloke ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement