Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Zzippy wrote: »

"Player makes statement approving of new coach" SHOCKER
    ! He's hardly going to say anything else....

SHOCKER! Internet poster misses point completely but carries on regardless

I thought this was significant because Leo Cullen hasn't actually been appointed as Leinster coach, yet the most important player for province and country is coming out endorsing said appointment. What he says about Leo is not really relevant, it's more important that he is talking about in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,579 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

at this stage , given how close we are to start of new season and Sextons comments , I'd expect Leo given a shot for the year , unless they have some top coach lined up , post WC . But I'd expect Leo to be given a chance - the players all respect Leo , so that should be great , not sure who would do the back drills ?
    can't be much worse than last year , and Sexton will get the line going , maybe Isa will help out with the backs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I thought this was significant because Leo Cullen hasn't actually been appointed as Leinster coach, yet the most important player for province and country is coming out endorsing said appointment. What he says about Leo is not really relevant, it's more important that he is talking about in the first place.

Sorry, I thought Cullen had already been confirmed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 esterhayes

why? We all know leo is being appointed and it's not a shock at all that a ex teammate recons he would do a good job

Jennings said he thought it wasn't a great move, which is far more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

esterhayes wrote: »
    Jennings said he thought it wasn't a great move, which is far more interesting.

We'll that's a massively misleading comment. He said letting MOC go without a replacement wasn't a great move. He was very positive about his opinion of Cullen's chances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭DelMcG

haiyna wrote: »
    Wow that jersey looks stunning! That's the standard jersey and not the European one, right?

Yeah. The European one will be the same one as last year. It's on a different two-year cycle to the main home & away jerseys.

The training gear will be available to buy on Wednesday, so you'd imagine there will be an official launch of the playing kit at the same time.

We'll that's a massively misleading comment. He said letting MOC go without a replacement wasn't a great move. He was very positive about his opinion of Cullen's chances.

Presume this is what he's talking about:
    http://www.herald.ie/sport/rugby/shane-jennings-leinster-players-have-to-take-some-responsibility-31413681.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Sexton reckons Leo is "exactly what we need" according to an interview in the Sunday Times (who broke the Leo story in the first place) .

Says of last season:
    "Maybe his influence dipped in the role of assistant coach and he was trying to keep to job spec"

They also say that the IRFU have approved the appointment and Leo will shortly be looking for a backs coach.

Interesting times ahead.

I think that bit is the most interesting part, maybe it suggests that Leo's influence will be better felt directing the overall ethos of the team, rather than working within a designated system and only working with a specific group of players. There has been a lot of talk about how Jennings and Leo pushed the professionalism that laid the foundations for our success, something Sexton would gravitate towards and maybe he believes Leo is the right man to bring that back.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

stephen_n wrote: »
    I think that bit is the most interesting part, maybe it suggests that Leo's influence will be better felt directing the overall ethos of the team, rather than working within a designated system and only working with a specific group of players. There has been a lot of talk about how Jennings and Leo pushed the professionalism that laid the foundations for our success, something Sexton would gravitate towards and maybe he believes Leo is the right man to bring that back.

If there's one single part of the role I thing Leo will nail it's that one. There's no doubt that from a cultural point of view at least he has a lot of the required skills and experience. However that doesn't always translate, and certainly doesn't cover the more technical elements. Martin Johnson as a player was similar in the culture he helped shape for England.

I know there's a lot of negative stuff being posted, and in fairness there is good reason for some of it. But if Leo pans out he could be exactly what Leinster need right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

.ak wrote: »
    The academy jersey is amazing, again.

Ha, just logged on to post the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Imagine that as our European jersey?

.ak wrote: »
    Imagine that as our European jersey?

Tbh I quite like our current one. But then I've always been pretty forgiving by most peoples standards!

molloyjh wrote: »
    If there's one single part of the role I thing Leo will nail it's that one. There's no doubt that from a cultural point of view at least he has a lot of the required skills and experience. However that doesn't always translate, and certainly doesn't cover the more technical elements. Martin Johnson as a player was similar in the culture he helped shape for England.

I know there's a lot of negative stuff being posted, and in fairness there is good reason for some of it. But if Leo pans out he could be exactly what Leinster need right now.

A lot will depend on the coaches around him, with Dempsey there to help with the tactical side or if they bring in another backs coach, the tactical side will flourish if the work rate is good. I'm particularly interested to see what McQuilkin can do with our defense, because without fixing the problems there, no tactics will work. I'm still not jumping up and down with joy over the appointment but am very interested to see how we perform this season. A strong work ethic is usually followed by consistency, if we did nothing else other that perform consistently and with some sort of cohesion that can be built on, then this season would be a success IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Seems a bit odd to have different kit for the academy considering it doesn't get sold so can't make extra cash for CCC

I don't like that one at all for some reason it looks like it should be accompanied by a Burberry baseball cap.

salmocab wrote: »
    Seems a bit odd to have different kit for the academy considering it doesn't get sold so can't make extra cash for CCC

It's common that the Academy lads have a seperate training jersey.

Adam-Byrne-July-13_rdax_80.jpg

squad-training-ashbourne-aug14.jpg

And then there are senior training jerseys that never went on sale too (although I did manage to get my hands on this one personally :cool:).

586418.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

And then there are senior training jerseys that never went on sale too (although I did manage to get my hands on this one personally :cool:).

586418.jpg

With or without the bra?

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭UnknownEntity

Yes, probably this week.

Still no announcement...

They are leaving it pretty late all right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I would expect it next week. Looks like Te'o was at a photoshoot today, and we could well see a beige coloured away jersey.

Part of me would cry, but another weaker part would laugh it's arse off if he got announced as forwards coach for Matt O'Connor at the Queensland Reds!

• Administrators Posts: 53,369 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Spotted walking into the branch offices at UCD today...

ireland-rugby-team-2011-i8.jpg

If everyone in the set up knows that it's a done deal, then it doesn't really matter when it's announced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I'm so confused. It started out about the jersey being revealed and now it's about whether Cullen is getting a deal.

Hagz wrote: »
    I'm so confused. It started out about the jersey being revealed and now it's about whether Cullen accepted a deal.

FYP

• Advertisement

Hagz wrote: »
    I'm so confused. It started out about the jersey being revealed and now it's about whether Cullen is getting a deal.

Yeah the original post was about the jersey launch, which is what I was talking about. Had to go back and check cause I was starting to think I'd gone mad.

Normally the jersey would have been released and on sale at this stage, yet there's been no announcement at all yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement