Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ovalu

Tramore84 wrote: »
    I think you could also apply this to Dunford. Players like Bennett and Dunford are asked to be workhorses far from goal in order to protect the defence. Dunfords performances are being affected in my view by being asked to play as a supplementary midfielder , half back and half forward at times.

At the same time our backs are winning all the praise for playing to a system designed to protect them. We need to play our best forward s closer to goal.

You've made an important point that a lot
    of people dont seem to get, Barry Coughlan for example is getting loads of praise for cleaning up at full back, but we're basically playing two full backs so of course they're going to clean up back there, the forwards like Dunford are being asked to cover 2 positions in order to allow the system work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭blackcard

Waterford used to be everyone's second favourite team with their flamboyant style during the noughties. I think they have players good enough to play with at least 5 permanent forwards and with one sweeper at the back. This is not a criticism of their current style as, if it brought success, the end would justify the means.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

blackcard wrote: »
    Waterford used to be everyone's second favourite team with their flamboyant style during the noughties. I think they have players good enough to play with at least 5 permanent forwards and with one sweeper at the back. This is not a criticism of their current style as, if it brought success, the end would justify the means.

I'd agree 100%, everyone in Waterford would love to see that type of hurling again but for the moment we have to be realistic as i think we might ship too many goals against Tipp or Kilkenny. We need a sweeper infront of Coughlan. But as you say we can still play with 5 up front with our half forward line not pushing as far out as they are. Hopefully against Dublin we will see this and as most posters are saying moving Gleeson into the half forward line.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

Over much deliberating this is the team i would pick.

1. S O 'Keeffe
    2. S Fives
    3. B Coughlan
    4. N Connors
    5. D Fives
    6. T de Burca
    7. P Mahoney
    8. J Barron
    9. K Moran
    10. J Dillon
    11. Brick
    12. A Gleeson
    13. P Curran
    14. M Shanahan
    15. C. Dunford

Stephan Bennett is a class hurler but his fitness isn't right due to his hip problems so i would rather see him come off the bench for the last 15 mins. Tom Devine and Shane Bennett are not far off the starting 15 also. In fairness to Dillon he does alot of the donkey work that sometimes goes unseen and is a player that i would perfer to see putting in a big shift from the start and coming off when he tires. I have to say though i would be very surprised to see Patrick Curran start although i hope im wrong. (Looking back over previous posts its the same as Deise Hurler's team)
    If you picked all the best wristy hurlers it would be a different forward line but it would have the wrong balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭skaface

Johnny Ryan confirmed as Referee for Waterford v Dublin game
    James Owen has the Cork v Galway match

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Curran should definetly start, he was the one real shining light from the under 21 game and we need more up front then the last day.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Tramore84

My team wud be:-

Iggy
    S Fives
    Coughlan
    D Fives
    Gleeson
    De Burca
    Mahoney
    Jamie Barron
    Kevin Moran
    Maurice
    Brick
    Devine
    Brian O Halloran
    Stephen Bennet
    Dunford.

Patrick Curran, Shane Bennett, Dillon, Devine, Foran, Martin O Neill can come on if needed.

There is little point having a squad if we don't use it so:-

- Sokky to lose place due to brain farts giving puc outs to Tipp men
    - Dillon to lose place as he doesn't score enough
    - Martin O Neill to get game time as he is one of our most talented hurlers
    - Noel Connors to lose his place so he can focus on his media commitments.

Also Derek:-
    - please talk less
    - Get the lads to play more hurling

We can beat Dublin and KK and any thing can happen in a final. We can do this. Up the deise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Iggy
    S Fives
    Coughlan
    D Fives
    Gleeson
    De Burca
    Mahoney
    Jamie Barron
    Kevin Moran
    Maurice
    Brick
    Devine
    Brian O Halloran
    Stephen Bennet
    Dunford.

Patrick Curran, Shane Bennett, Dillon, Devine, Foran, Martin O Neill can come on if needed.

- please talk less

We can beat Dublin and KK and any thing can happen in a final. We can do this. Up the deise.

I guess that's a joke but Noelie is probably the one player in the last 5 years who never underperforms.

I guess that's a joke but Noelie is probably the one player in the last 5 years who never underperforms.

It was a joke. Don't agree with your 5 years statement though, if Stephen Daniels hadn't been injured I think Noel wouldnt have played as much. He has been part of poor performances on big days against Tipp and Kk over last 5 years.

It was a joke. Don't agree with your 5 years statement though, if Stephen Daniels hadn't been injured I think Noel wouldnt have played as much. He has been part of poor performances on big days against Tipp and Kk over last 5 years.

I like Daniels but Noel is the only natural corner back we have. In fact best defender on the team in my opinion at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,787 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I like Daniels but Noel is the only natural corner back we have. In fact best defender on the team in my opinion at the moment.

One of the best in Ireland as well. Hopefully we win next week the summer has been so quick it's like our championship has not started lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

Iggy
    S Fives
    Coughlan
    D Fives
    Gleeson
    De Burca
    Mahoney
    Jamie Barron
    Kevin Moran
    Maurice
    Brick
    Devine
    Brian O Halloran
    Stephen Bennet
    Dunford.

- please talk less

Agree Soky was p**s poor the last day but if you want to avoid brain farts then playing o regan isnt going to help as he is the master at them

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    Agree Soky was p**s poor the last day but if you want to avoid brain farts then playing o regan isnt going to help as he is the master at them

Running into the stand with the sliotar wasn't great either by Sokky. I guess my point is that Iggy is the back up and should be used - otherwise what's the point in him being there?. Anyone can have an off day and hopefully the brain farts will stop now from now on.

are they opening the lower section of the old stand next sunday ??

Theres a public sale on Weds in Walsh Park, Thursday in Fraher field.

30 euro (20 for student/OAP/Terrace) is not bad for 3 games

Cork will bring huge support as per usual, Waterford, Dublin and Galway will bring small enough support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

PTH2009 wrote: »

Cork will bring huge support as per usual, Waterford, Dublin and Galway will bring small enough support.

Is that evening time the tickets are on sale??

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭skaface

Waterford will have plenty of support on Sunday..

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

My team for the Dublin game

1 sok
    2 s fives
    3 b coughlan
    4 n connors
    5 d fives
    6 t de burca
    7 p mahoney
    8 J Barron
    9 e barrett
    10 k moran
    11 a gleeson
    12 Shane Bennett
    13 m shannahan
    14 brick
    15 c dunford

Stephen Bennett, Tom devine, Jake Dillon, Stephen Daniels in reserve

I'd try gleeson forward but Liam rushe will be a hard man to be marking

Dublin have some top players including a top goalkeeper
    E BARRETT ,after the last day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

Can someone please post the starting line up for the Waterford minor team that won the All Ireland?

Just want to see how many names made it and which ones I've forgotten I thought might make it.

Thanks!

Can someone please post the starting line up for the Waterford minor team that won the All Ireland?

Just want to see how many names made it and which ones I've forgotten I thought might make it.

Thanks!

Gavin Power
    Cain Leamy
    Kevin Daly
    Willie Hahessy
    Micheal Harney
    Austin Gleeson
    Shane Bennett
    Mark Ó Brien
    Tom Devine
    Adam Farrell
    Colm Roche
    DJ Foran
    Micheal Kearney
    Stephen Bennett
    Patrick Curran

Thanks!

A bit early in lads careers to be deciding whether they have/not made it. Plenty of these lads were minor again last year and can be 4/5 years before some lads develop into senior intercounty players.

• Advertisement

I meant made it through to the senior team at present. Of course there's still plenty of time for lads who weren't even on that to team to come through.

There's quite a heavy influence after coming through all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

It's a massive step up from minor to senior and realistically if 4 or 5 of them make it long term off that minor team you are doing very very good. That's why it is important that we are competitive every years under age.

Waternut wrote: »
    It's a massive step up from minor to senior and realistically if 4 or 5 of them make it long term off that minor team you are doing very very good. That's why it is important th4at we are competitive every years under age.

Its always hard to know. In fairness you wouldnt have picked tom devine out of that minor team as one who would step up so quickly. Gleeson the 2 benetts and curran not as surprising. At the same time there was a few other outstanding lads who you mightened see much more of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    A bit early in lads careers to be deciding whether they have/not made it. Plenty of these lads were minor again last year and can be 4/5 years before some lads develop into senior intercounty players.

That's why I think a revamped version of the intermediate championship is required.

hardybuck wrote: »
    That's why I think a revamped version of the intermediate championship is required.

How is it at present? I always thought it was a sort of 'B' panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Thanks!

Made it?? They won the minor less than 2 years ago!

Made it?? They won the minor less than 2 years ago!

Already addressed that.

I meant made it through to the senior panel to date.

There are a few others I expect to see come on but won't mention names as I don't know their whereabouts.

Edit: Jasus I forgot how careful you need to be with your word choice on forums!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

How is it at present? I always thought it was a sort of 'B' panel?

It's utilised by counties in different ways. In the likes of the bigger counties like Cork, only intermediate hurlers can play for them in the intermediate championship. In football it's a junior championship, and only junior players can tog. Others like Waterford can put any player they want in.

It's a knockout championship, so it doesn't really do a huge amount to develop players unless you do well in it. Cork have done really well out of the junior football and used it as a spring board from players to make the jump from junior clubs to win senior all irelands.

I'd rebrand it and turn it into a development championship, or something with a jazzier name. Let teams play a round robin so lads get a few games in with something to play for at the end.

The ones thing I'd be concerned about for Waterford would be match sharpness this is only our 3rd championship match this year while it's Dublin's 5th match this year. We can't afford as many wides like we did in the Munster final this is do or die. We played them in 1938 (not sure if that's the year Dublin beat us in the all Ireland final, whatever year it was), 1948 and 2005 and we won 2, lost 1. It's going to be a gut wrenching match

Dublin are going to score a goal on us, we didn't play too well against them in challenges this year and they have nothing to lose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭thesultan

Could we do something on Sunday and give Maurice Shanahan a starting 15 jersey and not a subs one when playing?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement