Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Said at the start of the year he would be the manager most under pressure.

There's definitely a hidden agenda with all these friendly,accessible interviews. He's fooling nobody.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 104 ✭✭ThaiTanic

Mcgrath is some fairy in fairness. This sounds like he's bartering for an extra year off the county board to be honest. He'd want to F off before he puts waterford Hurling back 20 years!

Mcgrath knows his faith this year, relegation in the league, hammered in munster and bet again in an ai quarter/semi!

The sooner he's gone the better, and he can take a few of his pets with him!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Deise189

I'm normally one of the first to defend Derek and his tactics when talking about Waterford hurling but if he needs to take a year off work to focus on managing our hurlers then I'm not looking forward to whatever tactics he needs so much time to work on. I'll gladly take an All Ireland playing the ****e we do at the minute but I think that this means it's going to get worse as opposed to a more open free flowing game plan. I hope Derek and co prove that I know feck all about him or hurling in general though and that I'll be eating my hat come the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Deise Gael

God help us, Brian Cody's ex pupils must be barely able to read or write!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

Deise Gael wrote: »

He has been off since Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Great 2 have a job where u can take that amount of time off and not be sick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭jelutong

thesultan wrote: »
    He has been off since Christmas.

He's retired, an ex teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,909 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Mite see Derek down in the social on the cork road signing on lol. Taking a sabatical is his choice so who are ye to judge

Maurices hearing is 2morrow night and if cleared is free to play Sunday. Nobody is giving us a hope Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭letowski

PTH2009 wrote:
    Nobody is giving us a hope Sunday

Why?

letowski wrote: »
    Why?

The way we're playing ATM

Clare's impressive home record

McGraths true low opinion of the league

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Deise Gael

PTH2009 wrote: »

And there I was thinking Derek had given up teaching for the year!

You'll get 100% for that homework Stephen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Deise Gael wrote: »

Well, they are from Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Is it fair to say that McGrath is over thinking and over complicating the game of hurling?

deiseach wrote: »
    Well, they are from Kilkenny.

But they are all well able to hurl.jackie and eoin are ex pupils.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

ThaiTanic wrote: »
    Mcgrath is some fairy in fairness. This sounds like he's bartering for an extra year off the county board to be honest. He'd want to F off before he puts waterford Hurling back 20 years!

Mcgrath knows his faith this year, relegation in the league, hammered in munster and bet again in an ai quarter/semi!

The sooner he's gone the better, and he can take a few of his pets with him!

Waterford are 7/1 to be relegated lad. Sounds like you're confident though so jump on it and make a killing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I would be surprised if Waterford lost on Sunday, I'd have them as slight favourites against a Clare team that are still finding their feet tactically since Davy did a McGrath on Clare hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

buck65 wrote: »
    I would be surprised if Waterford lost on Sunday, I'd have them as slight favourites against a Clare team that are still finding their feet tactically since Davy did a McGrath on Clare hurling.

Yes I fully agree. I would be expecting a backlash from the Cork game and throughout the years we are always at our most dangerous when our backs are to the wall so expect Sunday to be no different. He's feeling the pressure so I would imagine a huge performance from the players so I would be expecting a 4-5 pt victory. Clare as you said are still trying to unravel the mess from the previous set up.

For me mcgrath has put more pressure on himself and the team by going full time.both teams need a result so should be interesting.battle of the sweepers.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    Is it fair to say that McGrath is over thinking and over complicating the game of hurling?
    it is fair to say that Mc Grath is ruining hurling ,ruining the young lads who are supposed to be enjoying it ,and ruining it for the supporters,basically ruining it ,END OF ,the sooner he owns up to biting off more than he can chew the better ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Maurice ban upheld, what an absolute disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭brookville

What do they mean by upheld?I thought it was a very harsh red and the cork player made the most of it

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭seanvanseanvan

The way he carried on afterwards would not have helped his appeal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭brookville

brookville wrote: »
    What do they mean by upheld?I thought it was a very harsh red and the cork player made the most of it

Just read he has to serve his one match ban very harsh and a big loss for ye sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

No but that was his reaction to a terrible decision. I think he deserved a yellow to be honest for getting involved where he didn't need to be and he would have been sent off then anyway, but nothing he did was even related to a straight red.

Pretty bad treatment now of an amateur player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

Agreed. The way these committees work they are often influenced by perceived reputation stray from the actual fact. Maurice can have a bit of a short fuse and maybe they were thinking about 2015 AI QF when he struck Liam Rushe he was lucky not to see red that day. Difference there was Rush stayed up and gave it back instead of rolling around like a spoilt baby and the ref passed it off as a 6 of 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 goldfinger4296

dubcat51 wrote: »
    For me mcgrath has put more pressure on himself and the team by going full time.both teams need a result so should be interesting.battle of the sweepers.

Clare rarely use a sweeper now

Clare rarely use a sweeper now[/QUOTEwell waterford will play 1 if not 2.will clare push up on them,interesting to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭chookieourlaw

cul beag wrote: »
    Yes I fully agree. I would be expecting a backlash from the Cork game and throughout the years we are always at our most dangerous when our backs are to the wall so expect Sunday to be no different. He's feeling the pressure so I would imagine a huge performance from the players so I would be expecting a 4-5 pt victory. Clare as you said are still trying to unravel the mess from the previous set up.

Wish I shared your confidence. I think we will lose by maybe 8 to 10. Suspect many of the players - although they are not vocalising it - have lost faith in McGrath and realise they are going nowhere with the hit and hope tactics. They are not stupid.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement