Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Very good game, fellas out on their feet at the end. Big performances from Brick, Shane Bennett but Stephen Bennett was magnificent.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DE DEISE

Great to get the win today, nicely rounds of a Great week for Waterford overall.

Deise Abu

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Hurling League 1/4s:

(A) Tipp v Offaly
    (B) Cork v Limerick
    (C) Waterford v Galway
    (D) Kilkenny v Wexford

Semis:
    A v D
    B v C
    Tipp will beat Offaly. Cork should beat Limerick. Waterford will beat Galway and Kilkenny will beat Wexford.
    Semis Tipp v Kilkenny, Waterford v Cork.
    Final:
    Likely to be a Waterford V Tipperary League Final

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭SW1985

That's some performance to grind out a win like that in Ennis. Really positive to think we did it without Barron, Connors and Maurice and without Austin for the last 20 mins. Huge effort from the lads. The Bennett's are absolutely flying and we're starting to create a lot of goal chances.

Can't say I'm that surprised. The Cork game was shocking but a good team doesn't go to **** over night. The hysteria on here was embarrassing and really quite sad considering the consistent level of performance the players and management have produced for a couple of years now. They clearly deserve better treatment than the abuse they get from some of our supporters.

I think were starting to see some evolution in our play. We don't always go 15 on 15 but we could have had 5 goals today. Surely that shows that we're moving in the right direction? Also the hunger the players showed today was very impressive. Do we know that another manager would get that level of intensity from them?

I think this performance should be enough proof for anyone that Derek at least deserves the rest of the year before people start calling for him to be sacked. This is the first year where you could really say the really exciting young lads all look near enough to ready for senior championship hurling. Let's get behind them and stop whinging.

culbaire wrote: »
    Hurling League 1/4s:

(A) Tipp v Offaly
    (B) Cork v Limerick
    (C) Waterford v Galway
    (D) Kilkenny v Wexford

Semis:
    A v D
    B v C
    Tipp will beat Offaly. Cork should beat Limerick. Waterford will beat Galway and Kilkenny will beat Wexford.
    Final:

Jumping the gun there big time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,508 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Hurling League 1/4s:

(A) Tipp v Offaly
    (B) Cork v Limerick
    (C) Waterford v Galway
    (D) Kilkenny v Wexford

Semis:
    A v D
    B v C
    Final:

It's like a reverse PTH2009

Interesting that we won all our away league games. Perhaps we'd be better off losing the draw for home advantage for the QF and get away from that cabbage patch pitch in Walsh park.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Hurling League 1/4s:

(A) Tipp v Offaly
    (B) Cork v Limerick
    (C) Waterford v Galway
    (D) Kilkenny v Wexford

Semis:
    A v D
    B v C
    Final:
    should change your name to mystic meg.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

KevIRL wrote: »
    Interesting that we won all our away league games. Perhaps we'd be better off losing the draw for home advantage for the QF and get away from that cabbage patch pitch in Walsh park.

Agree ,worst pitch in the country.

Heartening to see a good spread of scores today. Something we've struggled with of late. 8 different scorers from play. 2-21 a fine score at any time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 104 ✭✭ThaiTanic

cbwfd wrote: »
    I take it you wont be having a large bottle tonight.

Water I'm afraid haha, fair play to Waterford credit where it's due they never gave up, started well and didn't drop the heads when Clare went ahead! Mahoney very good keeping them in touch!

Thought Curran was very poor in the full forward line, likewise Daniels very poor just not good enough, McNulty very poor too. Is Conor Gleeson really a defender? Also Coughlan was questionable!

On a positive note how good is a fit Stephen Bennett to Waterford! Should be an automatic starter for the rest of the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jaylittle

Thought Waterford were impressive today to go to Ennis and get a win missing the likes of Connors, Darragh Fives, Philip Mahony, Barron and Shanahan probably five starters come championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Any credit due to Mcgrath?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

dubcat51 wrote: »
    should change your name to mystic meg.

-Another catty post! Meow!

Deise_2012 wrote: »

Yes lots. Waterford a lot more threatening this year in front of goal. Clear that things being worked on with the summer in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

maybe not in the past but got it spot on today especially in the second half when we were 3 points up with the wind , we had no answer when he retreated men out the field and attacked us in numbers , also the inclusion of tom devine was a master stroke , devine has always caused us problems in the past and was responsible for alot more then the 1-1 he notched up himself

whatever bizarre or unorthodox the game plan he got it right today ,

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭cascade12

Of course there is. I wonder will all the experts we have here give a bit of credit to Mcgrath, No sign of them yet tonight, No doubt they will be on here if we lose to Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

cascade12 wrote: »
    Of course there is. I wonder will all the experts we have here give a bit of credit to Mcgrath, No sign of them yet tonight, No doubt they will be on here if we lose to Galway.

No hiding at all I predicted the backlash would come today after the disaster against Cork. Stephen Bennett was excellent throughout as was Shane but if today proved anything it showed us Daniels is not nearly good enough at this level.For a fella that wasn't too bothered about relegation he was very animated on the line! Clare's tactics played into our hands but to go to Ennis and get the win is a good days work.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭chookieourlaw

Fair play to McGrath and the lads for working extremely hard to grind out the win. Also, finally, fair play to the ref as without a few clearly incorrect decisions by him that worked in our favour we may have been facing a relegation battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,911 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Delighted with the badly needed win and if the league system stays the same we are 100% guaranteed too be in 1A next year. Nice to get league revenge over Clare after losing our title to them last year

We have some what of a curse over Galway and we never fear them, have a feeling they may want this league win more than us and would really fancy them if the games in Salthill. If we play them here than we could have enough for them but our home record this season is patchy. The true battle of 3rd vs 4th in the country. Hopefully it may be on TV as salthill is a long drive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

ThaiTanic wrote: »
    Water I'm afraid haha, fair play to Waterford credit where it's due they never gave up, started well and didn't drop the heads when Clare went ahead! Mahoney very good keeping them in touch!

Thought Curran was very poor in the full forward line, likewise Daniels very poor just not good enough, McNulty very poor too. Is Conor Gleeson really a defender? Also Coughlan was questionable!

On a positive note how good is a fit Stephen Bennett to Waterford! Should be an automatic starter for the rest of the year!

I don't understand the constant criticism Coughlan gets on here. Admittedly he has extra protection due to our defensive system but I think he does a pretty good job in general. It's the most underrated position in hurling. He has two facets that I like in a full back, 1. He knows his limitations and doesn't try to do anything stupid and 2, he will make a cynical foul when he needs to. This is something that none of our full backs have had over the last 20 years apart from McGrath when he played there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

Careful now, you are in danger of falling under the spell of Derek the dictator aka Kim Yung Un...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Deisedozzer

Three things i took from the game today;

1. We don't have the depths in the backs that we thought we had. Conor Gleeson is still very lightweight at this level although there is no lack of effort. Daniels is just not good enough to play in the half back line. He was consistently successfully targeted throughout by Clare and his touch and skill levels just aren't up to standard. He was lucky to not have seen red for a wild pull from which we actually went down and scored a point. I think his limitations are disguised when he plays in the corner but at the moment are on show for all to see. We badly need Philip and Darragh fit for June. Jury is still out on Shane McNulty, he's only had 1 and a half games and been ok on both occasions without being impressive.

2. Austin Gleeson doesn't look match fit. This doesn't particularly worry me as i know he will come good with more game time. However i think today showed that he isn't suited to play midfield, he's just too loose and his forays forward left us exposed through the middle and resulted in a couple of very easy Clare scores. It definitely didn't help that Moran had one of his quietest games in ages for 55 minutes. Long term Aussie is a future CB but i think for the Championship this year Derek needs to select him at CF and leave him there and stop this constant swapping him around the field.

3. If we are going to keep playing the style on show today there is no point in starting Paddy Curran. He needs low ball in close to him to give him the chance to use his pace and turn his man, instead today all he got was aimless long balls launched in his direction which he had very little chance of winning. His skillset is being completely wasted by us playing this way and you could see how frustrated he was coming off.

Today was a very good effort and result considering we were outplayed for probably 45 mins of the match and we showed great character and determination when it counted. I am still concerned at the aimless balls being blasted into our foll forward line and i can't see how we are going to trouble Tipp in June unless this improves dramatically.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2017/0326/862747-gerry-oconnor/

Galway are playing Kildare in the football next Sunday 2nd April at 2pm in Pearse Stadium so I imagine if they get home advantage our game will be on at 4pm

About a 6 hour drive up and back to/from Waterford to Pearse Stadium

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Three things i took from the game today;

1. We don't have the depths in the backs that we thought we had. Conor Gleeson is still very lightweight at this level although there is no lack of effort. Daniels is just not good enough to play in the half back line. He was consistently successfully targeted throughout by Clare and his touch and skill levels just aren't up to standard. He was lucky to not have seen red for a wild pull from which we actually went down and scored a point. I think his limitations are disguised when he plays in the corner but at the moment are on show for all to see. We badly need Philip and Darragh fit for June. Jury is still out on Shane McNulty, he's only had 1 and a half games and been ok on both occasions without being impressive.

2. Austin Gleeson doesn't look match fit. This doesn't particularly worry me as i know he will come good with more game time. However i think today showed that he isn't suited to play midfield, he's just too loose and his forays forward left us exposed through the middle and resulted in a couple of very easy Clare scores. It definitely didn't help that Moran had one of his quietest games in ages for 55 minutes. Long term Aussie is a future CB but i think for the Championship this year Derek needs to select him at CF and leave him there and stop this constant swapping him around the field.

3. If we are going to keep playing the style on show today there is no point in starting Paddy Curran. He needs low ball in close to him to give him the chance to use his pace and turn his man, instead today all he got was aimless long balls launched in his direction which he had very little chance of winning. His skillset is being completely wasted by us playing this way and you could see how frustrated he was coming off.

Today was a very good effort and result considering we were outplayed for probably 45 mins of the match and we showed great character and determination when it counted. I am still concerned at the aimless balls being blasted into our foll forward line and i can't see how we are going to trouble Tipp in June unless this improves dramatically.

agree with a lot of this , but derrick deserves credit for getting the tactics spot on today ,but we fell into the trap too , we had david mac almost in midfield marking his man while tom devine was causing havoc inside our full back line , tipperary wont fall for this and will hold there positions as best they can , for me thats the way to beat waterford but few teams have the fitness or phsyical levels to apply it , we were muscled out of it late on today too

also taught brian o'halloran got little mention here for a good innings , coughlan though was been beaten all day by shanagher though ,connors was a huge loss in that regard

Our minor hurlers are out in action on the 5th April playing Clare in Ennis in the 1st Round of the Munster championship. A defeat will see us play Cork in the 1st playoff and a defeat in that game will see us play the loser of Limerick vs Tipp 1st round game in the 2nd playoff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Our minor hurlers are out in action on the 5th April playing Clare in Ennis in the 1st Round of the Munster championship. A defeat will see us play Cork in the 1st playoff and a defeat in that game will see us play the loser of Limerick vs Tipp 1st round game in the 2nd playoff
    Christ that's bleak

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Cake Man

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    Christ that's bleak
    Anyone have an idea what our minors are like this year? Who would be our big name players? DLS and Blackwater did reasonably well in this years Harty so I'd imagine we'll at least be competitive but minor is impossible to predict. I get the feeling a few barren years underage may start around now.

Great win by the seniors today in Ennis. Brick, Bennetts x 2, Devine and a few others were excellent. The second goal came at the right time as I couldn't see us pulling it back in just on points. Hopefully give Galway a good lash next Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Gardner

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Me thinks ThaiTanic is a particular News and Star reporter who is known for his legion of doom posts on facebook and articles in the paper about Waterford hurling. Luckily  schoolboy soccer is his speciality  [/font]

• Advertisement

When Stephen Bennett moved out to the half forward line, particularly the last 10-15 minutes he played some fantastic diagonal balls into space for Devine and Shane Bennett to run on to.

Before then, we were expecting the men inside to win the ball and take on the man/men on their own with high balls down on top. Not going to work and it was great to see somebody identify this. Paudie Mahony is another player who would play this kind of ball but he hasn't been involved enough from open play, although again with such limited possession showed how much of an asset he is with those two points.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement