Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

And the award for selective quotation goes to . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 40 con89

Haven't you heard that rugby is way bigger in Limerick city than GAA? Clown. When KK give ye an even bigger pasting than 2008 we'll be laughing :D

Pretty sad really. Least we get to play them....

• Registered Users Posts: 38,160 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Derek and Co looked a bit worried near the end of the under 21 match when they showed them on tv

Surly they knw if things go pear shaped nxt Sunday then people will be out for there heads

The under 21 management team will deff get a crack at the senior setup someday

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

How has Jack Fagan been doing for both De La Salle and Waterford? Has he been getting much game time?

Heard that he is impressing but he is just coming back from injury so there is more to come from him

I put this piece from Monday Night Soccer about the Blues up on YouTube a while back. The answers to what sport to associate with Waterford are revealing, not just in terms of the answers but what the producers were looking for:

A mere 20 years ago, no one would have associated Waterford with hurling. Now, it's the alpha game here. I don't think Waterford GAA folk give themselves enough credit for the transformation that has been wrought.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

PTH2009 wrote: »

Im sorry but Sean Power will never be up to senior intercounty management. Nice guy and all as he is. Flynn would be a decent shout for coach/selector

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

JesusRef wrote: »
    How has Jack Fagan been doing for both De La Salle and Waterford? Has he been getting much game time?

Heard that he is impressing but he is just coming back from injury so there is more to come from him
    Is he u21 again next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

That Soccer match was in 1980 - 36 years ago not 20 years ago. Waterford has always been a hurling city steeped in tradition, Mount Sion and Erins Own are two city clubs with hug tradition, we were just not a very successful one - and yes soccer was more followed for a period because of sucess but hurling always had a bigger core following. When Waterford got to the Munster Finals in 1982 and 1983 Thurles and Limerick were packed, 1989 we packed Parc ui Caoimh for the infamous Munster Final v Tipp. The minor Munster Final success and the U-21 All Ireland success of 1992 was the real catalyst for development, as young lads throughout the county saw what sucess was like and wanted to be a part of it - they started to believe they could acheive it. 1997 with the arrival of Ger McCarthy and the emergence of young talent such as Ken, Dan, Dave Bennett, Jame Murray who merged with the likes of Hartley, Flynn, Browne & Co., to forge a formidable team. For the first time in a long time we were getting a consisten crop of real youth mixed with those who had experienced winning and a change was in the air.

1998 was a year when we packed out Thurles for the League Final, Munster Final and Reply. We then packed Croke Park to face the Cats in a Semi Fnal that could have been ours and one wonders what would have hapened had we managed to win the AI that year. From there on while Waterford has not managed that elusive AI Ireland title, we have now for almost 20 years, evolved year after year to be a top four team, with few exceptions. KK are probably the only team to have managed this more consistently

Credit for this most go not only to the players that have lead the charge but the underage structures that were put in place and the work that was done. While we have hosted the Tony Forristal Tournament for over 30 years we have been reallycompetitive in it for the last 12 years. The net has widened and whilst we always had representaitons from the smaller clubs, this has increased dramatically.

While not being involved personally, I know better than most, the work and commitment done by those at the real grass roots. Victories like last Wednesday nght belong as much to these people as it does to current management and players. I hope they enjoyed it and I hope they savoured it because they deserve it. They are not in the limelight, they weren't up in the VIP section of the stand taking the plaudits, they don't do it for plaudits, they do it for the love of the game and for the love of their county. It is easy for the more sucessful, traditional counties to poke fun at "fist pumping and celebrating" but they do not know what it is like to suffer as much as these lads have, because if they did suffer to the extents that we have they would be truly glad for those who have worked so hard insted of begruding it. A starving man if offered food is likely to forget his manners and shuld be forgiven for that.

Long may the upward curve continue and please God some day in the not too distant future we wil celebrate the big one. it might only be one, but by God would we treasure it and celebrate it.

Deise ABu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

What do you be smoking Pth

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

blueflame wrote: »
    1998 was a year when we packed out Thurles for the League Final, Munster Final and Reply. We then packed Croke Park to face the Cats in a Semi Fnal that could have been ours and one wonders what would have hapened had we managed to win the AI that year. From there on while Waterford has not managed that elusive AI Ireland title, we have now for almost 20 years, evolved year after year to be a top four team, with few exceptions. KK are probably the only team to have managed this more consistently

Deise ABu

Hard to believe 98 isn't far off 20 years. I can still vividly remember seeing Frampton creaming Leahy in Cork, which is probably one of my favourite moments ever to witness watching Waterford. Traffic that day was shocking as well.

• Advertisement

any takers for the Semi final next sunday ???

Hogan Stand Hospitality Package:

Secure your lower Hogan ticket and upgrade your day with a hospitality package for only €185.00 per person
    Included in the Package:
    Lower Hogan tickets – Section 328/327
    Casual buffet
    Full complementary bar that runs until 1 hour after the main game.
    Private area that hold up to a mx of 100 guests – Area will have TV’s showing game, private bar and also features a glass wall so that the game is viewable at all times.

if i got a free ticket for this section id take it but its awful expensive to buy and not worth it if youre driving home after the game

for people who buy these things, would they not be better off in the pub watching it if they want to drink and eat heavily ???

There was a hen night or something from Wexford in Thurles last sunday who stayed in the bar area for the whole game and asked people the score, had **** all interest in being there and would of been better too of stayed in the pub and watch the game lol

Another thing to remember from that day in 1998 was Paul Flynn going through the Tipp defence in the second half like a hot knife through butter. On The Sunday Game that evening they highlighted Paul Shelly whispering sweet nothings into Flynn's ear at every turn. He must have been talking about the weather or the ongoing troubles in Chechnya though, because thanks to the helpful advice of our betters in the last couple of days we know it is only Waterford players who get up to any kind of verbal skulduggery :D

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

Derek and Co looked a bit worried near the end of the under 21 match when they showed them on tv

Surly they knw if things go pear shaped nxt Sunday then people will be out for there heads

They showed them at the same time Bennett and Aussie were both on the ground.

But no you're probably right, they must be living in almighty fear of the chop :rolleyes:

deise_boi wrote: »

But no you're probably right, they must be living in almighty fear of the chop :rolleyes:

I would say there's a good chance that Sunday week could be their last game in charge...

• Registered Users Posts: 40 con89

blueflame wrote: »

You're right. Only Kilkenny and Tipperary have reached more AI semi finals since the introduction of the qualifiers prior to the 1997 championship.
    1.Kilkenny 19 (2013 the only exception)
    2.Tipperary 12
    3.Waterford 11
    4.Cork 10
    5.Clare 7
    6.Galway 6
    7.Wexford 5
    8.Limerick 4
    9.Offaly 3
    10.Dublin 2

Tipp reach the semi (and the final) in 1997, so from 1998, we've had just as much success as them in getting in to the final four.

A negative being we've only reached one final, compared to six each for Tipperary (possibly seven in September) and Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 premiertipp

Just want to say most real Tipp supporters congratulated the Waterford U21s on Wed night. We had no great expectations on the night and were given a master class by Austen Gleeson in the second half. I think ye will go the whole way.. .history is with ye.. The last four winners in Munster went on to win in September. As I'm married to a Deise man I hope we'll both be celebrating in Sept... Tipp on the 4th and Waterford on the 10th!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Alpha Centauri

Have a 5yr old showing an interest in hurling. Any clubs his age training tomorrow morning (sat 30 jul)I can bring him and show him the craic?

Have a 5yr old showing an interest in hurling. Any clubs his age training tomorrow morning (sat 30 jul)I can bring him and show him the craic?

What part of the county? Who do his friends from school play with?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Alpha Centauri

JesusRef wrote: »
    What part of the county? Who do his friends from school play with?

Jeez sorry totally forgot... City clubs...a few of the older lads/lass' in the area play with DLS.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    u21 has been a disaster for a good few years considering the individually talented players that have come through.

2012 we were hammered out the gate, many of that team are now the Waterford senior team so looking back on it was a shambles. 2013 indiscipline let us down, we had the beatings of Clare until a guy already on a yellow card made a stupid pull that you'd slaughter an u12 for doing. He was sent off and Clare pulled away. 2014, beaten by a 14 man Cork side that was supposedly one of their worst u21 sides in history. Last year wasn't much better. We got revenge on Cork but were well beaten by a Clare side that had very few left from their all conquering u21 team so really there should have been no excuses.

I'm actually surprised that we got it together this year.

I agree with you. But a lot of those teams mentioned had bad management imo. shocking when lost to a poor Cork side Side at home. I can still remember paudie prendry getting sent off and that was the turning point of that game. Clare were at the height of power at that stage.

• Advertisement

Jeez sorry totally forgot... City clubs...a few of the older lads/lass' in the area play with DLS.

AFAIK DLS take a break for the summer and run their coaching to coincide with the primary school year - so they should be starting up a new group within the next few weeks - so it is the perfect time for your lad to start.

Stop them a message or their should be a number on the website wrt the hurling nursery - they will be delighted to see ye coming.

My advice is to become involved with the team - regardless of your own experience - it's the best Craic ever...

http://www.anfearrua.com/topic.aspx?id=441956

interesting read. Jayus how bad were we in the mid 80's in Senior Hurling . Losing to Mayo in the 1985/86 league

weird to think that the league started in November up until 1999 i think. When was club hurling played ???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

http://www.anfearrua.com/topic.aspx?id=441956

interesting read. Jayus how bad were we in the mid 80's in Senior Hurling . Losing to Mayo in the 1985/86 league

weird to think that the league started in November up until 1999 i think. When was club hurling played ???

Well considering the county team were out of the championship by June every year, I'll leave you do the maths on it ;)

Seriously, do you just fire every passing thought you get up on this thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Any word on Darragh Fives for the semi? I'm guessing he's definely out but hoping otherwise.

Assuming he's out COnor Gleeson to come in?

Also will Dunford start?

I watched last years match again and when Kilkeeny pulled away it was mainly silly mistakes from us more so than them moving up a gear. Sure we were lucky enough in the first half not conceding another goal or two.

I think we have a great chance next Sunday, Jesus I can't wait.
    Also in my view, Tipperary have more of a goal scoring threat against us than the Cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭redlead

I really can't see us troubling Kilkenny playing the system we do. It just won't work against the real top teams in championship (Tipp and Kilkenny). This will be the fourth time we've deployed it against them and we were easily beaten in the other three. We can make all excuses we want but were easily beaten at the end of the day.

Kilkenny don't give you any room to be scoring points from 70 yards and with no-one in the inside forward line and a zero goal threat the writing is on the wall. I think the system served us very well with a young team but the main reason we were beating everyone else is that we just have better players, simple as that. I just have a horrible feeling that Sunday is going to be a wasted opportunity and we'll limp out of another semi with another 6-8 point loss. I'd rather give it a lash playing less defensively and if we fail know we gave it our best shot. Fair enough keep the sweeper even but get rid of the constipated midfield with all your forwards down there.

redlead wrote: »
    I just have a horrible feeling that Sunday is going to be a wasted opportunity and we'll limp out of another semi with another 6-8 point loss. I'd rather give it a lash playing less defensively and if we fail know we gave it our best shot. Fair enough keep the sweeper even but get rid of the constipated midfield with all your forwards down there.

The bother is we have an inbuilt losers mentally. If this senerio plays out, like it has done several times over the past number of years, you'll still have people coming on here declaring the season a sucess based on getting to a semi final and not getting hammered.

Sucess this season needs to be beating KIlkenny on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

JeffKenna wrote: »
    The bother is we have an inbuilt losers mentally. If this senerio plays out, like it has done several times over the past number of years, you'll still have people coming on here declaring the season a sucess based on getting to a semi final and not getting hammered.

It would take a minimum of Sunday for waterford to show they've the beating of kk....coming withing 2-3 points and difference
    Being a fluke goal/terrible refereeing decision to cost them

It's a horrible feeling tired have going up to just make up the numbers and kk win by 6-7 points just going through the motions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

JeffKenna wrote: »
    redlead wrote: »
    I just have a horrible feeling that Sunday is going to be a wasted opportunity and we'll limp out of another semi with another 6-8 point loss. I'd rather give it a lash playing less defensively and if we fail know we gave it our best shot. Fair enough keep the sweeper even but get rid of the constipated midfield with all your forwards down there.

No one has said this season is a success

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭thesultan

The thing that's on everyone's mind is will Derek DO something different. Will he actually play forwards in their positions? Will he flog Maurice or Curran by having Paul Murphy clearing back around them with either Lennon or Holden on them and they flogged by being marked and having Murphy sweeping? What will happen if we are loosing by three or four points by half time , will stations remaind the same and hope to outpoint them in the second half when they unleash their normal full frontal assault? It's all well and good playing defensive but they showed last year with Hogan their shooter from distance and with space at a minimum , they can outscore us too. Why use Stephen Bennett as a five minute sub 65 yards from goals? Donegal went long against Mayo in 12 and had both Murphy and McFadden close to goals it caused mayhem in the Mayo defence, how about we attack their last line with Maurice breaking to either Curran or Stephen Bennett? Leave Gleeson centre back. He showed it's his most influential position. There are 70 minutes of the game to be played . For at least half of it go standard 15 on 15. It might work , it might not but at least when I'm in the stand in Croke park on Sunday and leaving the game I know we gave it a go instead of constrained by a system and engulfed our progession.

• Advertisement

my team and line out for the kilkenny game

1 Sok

2 S Fives
    3 C Gleeson
    4 N Connors

5 TDB

6 A Gleeson
    7 Philip Mahony
    8 J Barron
    9 K Moran (roaming)