Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Enjoyable game. Nice goal, I think he meant to hit that in low. Austin Gleeson very lucky not to get a red card.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Aussie being stupid again but did anyone see the way your man went down! Never understood why this grade isn't 35 mins a side . As for the referee well both sides must be scratching their head . Some crazy decisions against both teams

• Registered Users Posts: 37,983 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Congrats to all

History has been made

Aussie and Stephen Bennett class acts

Enjoy ur night everyone

Whoooo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

So much for always preferring to be underdogs. Favourites tonight and they wore the tag:

14185212UtNF3Va6.gif?1302832919

Well done to everyone involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Some second half display tonight. Gleeson was majestic and was lucky to have been left on before half time. Bennett's vision for the second goal was worth the admission fee alone. Amazing what these bunch of outstanding hurlers can do when they're not shackled by frustrating game plans. It warms my heart to see two proper teams going at it and the best team on the night coming out on top. Congrats to all involved on a magnificent victory ðŸ‘

• Advertisement

Jayus the club championship will never be played at this rate

7th Aug- kilkenny match
    Weekend of 12/13/14- free weekend
    Weekend of 19/20/21- u21 semi vs Antrim
    Weekend of 26/27/28- free weekend
    Weekend of 2/3/4 sep- all Ireland Final weekend
    Weekend of 9/10/11sep- all Ireland u21 final weekend

There's 5 rounds left to play I think

Anyway it's a night of celebration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

Slightly worried at half time, which is the default position for a Waterford supporter but they cut loose in the 2nd half.

Aussie ..... what a warrior (yellow card was about right but the Tipp player he touched should have got the line for acting the boll**ks).

Munster titles at any grade are very welcome in Waterford .... the best is yet to come.

Weird statement but

For a packed Walsh Park there was a bad atmosphere, was it our supporters were nervous or was it too packed ??

2016 has been an good year for Waterford Hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Mulbert

PTH2009 wrote:
    Wish we scored more against the wind

PTH2009 wrote:
    Tipperary will be dangerous in the 2nd half

We did score more against the breeze!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Great stuff. Massive lift. Stephen Bennett return to form confirmed. Oh for that vision on the senior team. I bet when Peter Hogan goes home tonight his family will be talking about that pass.
    Half that team underage next year as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

There was a girl near me, maybe 7 or 8 years old, and at the final whistle her dad suggested they go down on the pitch to see the cup being awarded. The look on her face. "And we get a CUP?!"

Cherish these days.

There were certainly phases of the game tonight where we left Tipp back into it and the one good thing was our response on both occasions. It was wonderful to see that fight and determination to get us out of those sticky spells and push on again. Foran drifted in and out of the game as did Kearney and one think that could be worked on was the puckouts as we didn't vary them too much even when we were clearly losing possession from them as both wing forwards were struggling to win primary possession from these. But to beat Tipp by 10pts in a Munster final is no mean achievement and you could feel in the support there tonight,we're craving success and also craving a more positive game plan which we got tonight. I just wonder if things don't go according to plan against KK in the senior and we go on to win the u21 could we see a change at the helm?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

what a night ,how to get thousands of people on their feet,hon HOGIE,SOME FORWARDS WHEN THEY ARE ALLOWED HURL,AND THEN ADD Maurice Shanahan into the mix ,a team now that could and would worry any defence in the country ,and that means any ,up the Deise

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Weird statement but

For a packed Walsh Park there was a bad atmosphere, was it our supporters were nervous or was it too packed ??
    Thats strange, I thought the same! Had to double check it was actually on in Walsh park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Jayus the club championship will never be played at this rate

7th Aug- kilkenny match
    Weekend of 12/13/14- free weekend
    Weekend of 19/20/21- u21 semi vs Antrim
    Weekend of 26/27/28- free weekend
    Weekend of 2/3/4 sep- all Ireland Final weekend
    Weekend of 9/10/11sep- all Ireland u21 final weekend

There's 5 rounds left to play I think

Anyway it's a night of celebration
    Since when were you ever worried about club championships ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

You'll be hard pressed to find a better U21 team to come out of Munster than that. Clare in 2012/13/14 and Tipp in 2010 were savage teams too but I dont think they won in such a convincing fashion as that. Cork had a brilliant U21 team in the 90's and our own team that won in '92 were exceptional too. Going back any further I cant comment really

3ships wrote: »
    Half that team underage next year as well.

Aussie, Stephen Bennett, DJ Foran, Devine, Harney, Kearney, Mark O Brien, Hahessy all overage next year. Thats the spine of the team, wont be as strong and Tipp did us a favour by beating Limerick being honest. so lets cherish it this year and hope we can go all the way as these days don t come around often

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    Since when were you ever worried about club championships ;-)
    just a bit courious and bored lol.
    Aussie, Stephen Bennett, DJ Foran, Devine, Harney, Kearney, Mark O Brien, Hahessy all overage next year. Thats the spine of the team, wont be as strong and Tipp did us a favour by beating Limerick being honest. so lets cherish it this year and hope we can go all the way as these days don t come around often

its hard to know what the result would of been if we played Limerick or if we played Tipp in thurles.

Or Clare did Limerick a favour by beating us last year..anyway ts great to be looking forward to an All Ireland final, of course need to take care of Antrim first and anyone who was in Mullingar in 2002 will know better than to underestimate Antrim teams, but looking at their result tonight they wont be one of the stronger teams Antrim have put out in recent years and we should have too much for them by a distance. I wouldnt fear either Galway or Dublin but both could cause us problems if we're not fully at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Yeah next years team probably won't be as strong but I think we'll still have the guts of a decent enough team. There will be the remaining lads who are still underage next year, those being (by my estimation anyway) Jordan Henley, Darragh Lyons, Conor Gleeson, Conor Prunty, Colm Roche, Shane Bennett, Patrick Curran and Peter Hogan.
    Then you have the cream of the last two years minor teams, to me being the likes of Billy Nolan, Tommy Douglas, Eoghan Murray, Jack Prendergast, Michael Mahony, Andy Molumby and Aaron O'Sullivan.
    I'd like to think we'll at least be competitive but it looks like we'll also have a few (if not all) away games.

Well done to the lads tonight, fantastic performance particularly in the second half. Aussie was majestic (probably could've seen red though), great vision by Stephen Bennett for the second goal and some fine scores taken all over the field. Bit concerned that we went long spells where we just couldn't win a puck out for our lives. It seemed every ball that went into the FF line was coming right back at us but to be fair Tipp backs did generally well.

Should hopefully now be as good as guaranteed an AI final as Antrim/Derry will pose as cannon fodder with all due respect. Who came through from Leinster, was it Dublin? Could be a rematch of the 2013 AI minor final against Galway. I wonder if they'll hold the final in Thurles or Croke park.
    All in all a great nights work and hopefully another confidence booster ahead of Sunday week. Well done Sean Lyons and all involved.

Cake Man wrote: »
    Yeah next years team probably won't be as strong but I think we'll still have the guts of a decent enough team. There will be the remaining lads who are still underage next year, those being (by my estimation anyway) Jordan Henley, Darragh Lyons, Conor Gleeson, Conor Prunty, Colm Roche, Shane Bennett, Patrick Curran and Peter Hogan.
    Then you have the cream of the last two years minor teams, to me being the likes of Billy Nolan, Tommy Douglas, Eoghan Murray, Jack Prendergast, Michael Mahony, Andy Molumby and Aaron O'Sullivan.
    I'd like to think we'll at least be competitive but it looks like we'll also have a few (if not all) away games.

Well done to the lads tonight, fantastic performance particularly in the second half. Aussie was majestic (probably could've seen red though), great vision by Stephen Bennett for the second goal and some fine scores taken all over the field. Bit concerned that we went long spells where we just couldn't win a puck out for our lives. It seemed every ball that went into the FF line was coming right back at us but to be fair Tipp backs did generally well.

Should hopefully now be as good as guaranteed an AI final as Antrim/Derry will pose as cannon fodder with all due respect. Who came through from Leinster, was it Dublin? Could be a rematch of the 2013 AI minor final against Galway. I wonder if they'll hold the final in Thurles or Croke park.
    All in all a great nights work and hopefully another confidence booster ahead of Sunday week. Well done Sean Lyons and all involved.

Yeah Dublin came through, a good but not great Dublin team, I'd actually fancy them to take Galway, most of Galways minor winning team of last year are underage again this year and their previous few minor teams were average enough. Thats about all I can go on but I dont think either team will come near us going by the last 2 matches

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Deise2016

Superb performance second half.

This team are a pleasure to watch and hopefully we will have two more games to follow them in.

If only our seniors played with the same freedom.

But anyway, not a night for moaning.

Special mention to the Bennetts who were superb, Jordan Henley did very well in goal again, Tom Devine and Mikey Kearney very impressive and Mark O'Brien with another excellent performance.

But lads, Austin Gleeson.

We really do have a special talent on our hands.

What is it about Mount Sion men and that number 6 jersey?

One of the best performances I have seen.

Ronan Maher not fit to lace Austin's boots and the less said about the Tipp player rolling around trying to get Austin sent off. An absolute disgrace. Yes Austin shouldn't have shoved his faceguard and was lucky not to get red, but to jump on the ground like that to try and get another lad sent off? Awful stuff.

Anyway with Austin, Patrick Curran and the Bennetts on form we can beat the cats.

Or Clare did Limerick a favour by beating us last year..anyway ts great to be looking forward to an All Ireland final, of course need to take care of Antrim first and anyone who was in Mullingar in 2002 will know better than to underestimate Antrim teams, but looking at their result tonight they wont be one of the stronger teams Antrim have put out in recent years and we should have too much for them by a distance. I wouldnt fear either Galway or Dublin but both could cause us problems if we're not fully at it.

Didn't we hammer Antrim up in Ashbourne at minor 3 years ago? Not assuming the same will happen again but gives us an indication of where we should be at. Dublin have a strong side. They have a lot of lads on the senior team like ourselves. Wouldnt be the strongest Galway u21 group we beat them well at minor a couple years ago but then they won the minor last year so I'm guessing a few of them will have come along. Who ever wins that will be tough but it will take a good team to beat us

Didn't we hammer Antrim up in Ashbourne at minor 3 years ago? Not assuming the same will happen again but gives us an indication of where we should be at. Dublin have a strong side. They have a lot of lads on the senior team like ourselves. Wouldnt be the strongest Galway u21 group we beat them well at minor a couple years ago but then they won the minor last year so I'm guessing a few of them will have come along. Who ever wins that will be tough but it will take a good team to beat us

AFAIK a lot of Galways minor team from last year are underage again this year, if that makes any difference. They are always a bit of an unknown quantity and I dont think its fair on them actually to start their championship this late, but that's another debate. I'd say its a 50/50 game themselves and Dublin but going by tonite and the last nite we shouldnt have anything to fear.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Fair play to ye lads from a tipp man. That's probably the best under 21 team I've ever seen come out of the Munster.

Ye played some lovely hurling last night. Really fluid stuff - some of the points aussie put over from his own half were outrageous. Would be a pity now if ye don't take home the all Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Deisexile

Cake Man wrote: »

Definitely won't be as strong next year but should be more than competitive at least. You'd also have to include Neil Montgomery in that list from this years minor team. Probably the best performer over the course of the 3 games.
    Outstanding display last night though. Great to see some traditional, free flowing Waterford hurling again! Well done all.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ladiesman216

Deise2016 wrote: »
    n.

Ronan Maher not fit to lace Austin's boots .

Gracious in victory i see, yet again.
    Like the gloating in Tipp players faces on the pitch!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

First half was poor enough......especially our half forwards who weren't able to compete on own puckouts. Second half was completely different but mostly because Gleeson grabbed it by the scruff of the neck.........great performance. The second half was the first time I have enjoyed watching a Waterford team in a couple of years......it was like a throw back to the early 00s.

• Advertisement

Gracious in victory i see, yet again.
    Like the gloating in Tipp players faces on the pitch!

Sorry now but I have to come in on this. I saw first hand the sledging that Stephen Bennett was getting from the Tipp defender all through that first half. It was a credit to him that he didn't snap and to be honest what he did having scored was mild in comparison to what he should really have done! You'll tell me now that that's part of the game I suppose so if it is then don't dish it out if you're not able to accept it back!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement