Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

I'd imagine they are referring to the father of current panel members who has a history of working with Davy going back to when Davy was manager of Waterford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Ah jaysus. That's very obvious now that I think of it.

If ye're talking about it though, I don't doubt the Waterford management are aware of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

Davy wants to leave his own legacy in Clare, winning multiple All Irelands, yet over the last 2 years he must have been very close to losing all that and getting the sack. This is the reason why he's back tracking and allowing duel players back in to the set up. Davy said it in 2013 that Donal Og was the only pundit that was close to understanding Clares tactics that year.
    Davy is limited as a manager and i think he's only realising that now. By bringing Donal Og i think he's bringing in someone who has similar ideas but different ways to implement them. I think Clare will be a much better team next year but that doesn't mean Waterford cannot go on to beat them anyway. I'm really looking forward to next year. Which team is going to step up and match Kilkenny for 70 min?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

Ah jaysus. That's very obvious now that I think of it.

If ye're talking about it though, I don't doubt the Waterford management are aware of it.

Have no doubt they're aware of it but trying to counteract it is another thing. Don't anyone be fooled that this isn't happening because the loyalty there belongs to the one that pays the bills and that's LIT and who is the main man there?!! Anyway if we are to let that worry us we might aswell not face Clare next year. Cusack is an interesting appointment,has Davy brought in his successor without him knowing it? The stakes are high for him next year so indirectly it takes all the heat off Waterford as all the interest will be how the Davy og show performs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

archieknox wrote: »
    Have no doubt they're aware of it but trying to counteract it is another thing. Don't anyone be fooled that this isn't happening because the loyalty there belongs to the one that pays the bills and that's LIT and who is the main man there?!! Anyway if we are to let that worry us we might aswell not face Clare next year. Cusack is an interesting appointment,has Davy brought in his successor without him knowing it? The stakes are high for him next year so indirectly it takes all the heat off Waterford as all the interest will be how the Davy og show performs.

If your good enough you'll win. No matter what stories a fellah brings home to daddy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

he makes some interesting points. Bottom line is football will always be fighting a losing battle with dual players in Waterford. Whats going with the SFC this year is a mess. Waterford teams have usually performed well in this competition and whoever wins would fancy themselves to have a good rattle off Nemo rangers. But to expect them to go out 24-48 hours after winning the county final is a joke. Its happening in too many countys and the structure of these competitions needs to be looked at across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,059 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

he makes some interesting points. Bottom line is football will always be fighting a losing battle with dual players in Waterford. Whats going with the SFC this year is a mess. Waterford teams have usually performed well in this competition and whoever wins would fancy themselves to have a good rattle off Nemo rangers. But to expect them to go out 24-48 hours after winning the county final is a joke. Its happening in too many countys and the structure of these competitions needs to be looked at across the board.

the gaa needs to take a leaf out of rugbys book and do similar to the pro 12 league which still runs championship games when the Six Nations/Autumn Internationals/world cup games are on. the teams play without the big names who are on international duty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

He definitely speaks a lot of sense. Basically what he is saying is that this meeting was merely PJ Ryan paying lip-service and I'd be inclined to agree with him.
    Football is dying a sad death in this county. What we have seen in recent years is a lot of clubs, particularly in the west, that would be seen as being traditionally stronger in football have started to treat hurling as number one. Even if they are senior football and intermediate/junior hurling. We are seeing more and more talented young hurlers of intercounty standard coming through from the smaller rural clubs and those clubs in turn are raising their standards and commitment to the small ball as a result. We were never successful at intercounty level in football, but there has always been a healthy club scene, and very few clubs in the county don't attempt to field a football team of some sort. But with the hurling gospel now becoming more widespread, it is the glamorous game as far as kids are concerned.
    For the few football people like Jackson, unfortunately the light at the end of the tunnel is further away than it ever was.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

PTH2009 wrote: »
    the gaa needs to take a leaf out of rugbys book and do similar to the pro 12 league which still runs championship games when the Six Nations/Autumn Internationals/world cup games are on. the teams play without the big names who are on international duty.

It would be unfair to ask clubs to play championship games without their best I think. Professional clubs can sign professional players on temporary contracts, bring people up from the academy and generally have replacements in every position anyway. Some clubs already have extremely limited resources and many will probably already struggle that minors can no longer play at adult level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

It seems to me that clubs just need to get playing more games full stop. More games without their county players and more games with them. And the scheduling needs to get back to basics.

I bumped into someone at the weekend who was playing in the east junior football quarter final.

The season was tipping away apparently with a game every weekend in April. Then no game in May, one game in June, one in July and then the championship quarter in late OCTOBER! To make it better they won that and had to play the semi final 6 days later on a Wednesday night.

It's this sort of crap which really bothers me. The likes of the above is probably quite normal at this stage and how can anyone at board level really defend that. I'm sure the clubs probably could do better to get things moving more quickly also.

hardybuck wrote: »
    It seems to me that clubs just need to get playing more games full stop. More games without their county players and more games with them. And the scheduling needs to get back to basics.

I bumped into someone at the weekend who was playing in the east junior football quarter final.

The season was tipping away apparently with a game every weekend in April. Then no game in May, one game in June, one in July and then the championship quarter in late OCTOBER! To make it better they won that and had to play the semi final 6 days later on a Wednesday night.

It's this sort of crap which really bothers me. The likes of the above is probably quite normal at this stage and how can anyone at board level really defend that. I'm sure the clubs probably could do better to get things moving more quickly also.
    It's definitely wrong what's going on at club level and I do feel sorry for club players in both codes. But more games isn't the answer as all you will have are meaningless competitions. The championship,at whatever level or code will determine a club's progress throughout the year. Now whether it is your own club or your opposing team that will have players involved at county level then those clubs will not play championship games without them. I can't imagine too many clubs throughout the county not being effected by this but id love to see an alternative. We're being told that there will be an All Ireland B competition for football introduced sooner rather than later so the chances are we might get to win a few games in that so can you imagine the backlog of games that scenario would cause!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    What we have seen in recent years is a lot of clubs, particularly in the west, that would be seen as being traditionally stronger in football have started to treat hurling as number one.

Good. We are a hurling county and the more clubs taking hurling seriously can only be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,059 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Both our senior hurling and football champions are playing there Munster games on the 8th Nov at home against cork champions. A double header in Walsh park would make sense but won't happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Both our senior hurling and football champions are playing there Munster games on the 8th Nov at home against cork champions. A double header in Walsh park would make sense but won't happen

Or a double header in Fraher field

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

Ballygunner won the Minor Hurling final today.

Ephie Fitzgerald new football manager.

Trainer/Coach and not manager I thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭enoughtaken

Article from the Journal 2/11/2015

WATERFORD FOOTBALL HAS been boosted by the arrival of Ephie Fitzgerald as coach for the 2016 season.
    The McGrath Cup holders will welcome the Nemo Rangers native on board following discussions with manager Tom McGlinchey.
    Fitzgerald ended his involvement as Clare trainer following their qualifier defeat to Longford during the summer and had put his name forward for the position of Cork football manager before agreeing to become part of the Déise backroom team alongside McGlinchey and selector Tony Corcoran.
    He guided Nemo to four Cork SFC titles in a row between 2005 and 2008 and led Limerick side Ballylanders to county glory in 2014. His previous inter-county experience includes a season with Limerick under Maurice Horan in 2011 when the Treaty county made the All-Ireland quarter-finals, and a two year spell in charge of the Cork minors.
    Waterford boss McGlinchey feels that Fitzgerald will exert a positive influence around the dressing room.
    “His enthusiasm and his attitude towards the game will bring out the best in Waterford. The good start we had to last year, hopefully we can take it a step further in 2016 and that’s the plan.”
    McGlinchey’s charges raised the McGrath Cup in January following wins over UL, CIT, Cork and UCC. They only recorded one win in Division 4 however and exited the championship in June after defeats to Tipperary and Offaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭thesultan

Thought he was the new coach!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Anyone have the club team of the year from the news and star to hand? Any surprise inclusions?
    Anyone care to have a go at picking their own? It's been rather quiet in here lately!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

That is incorrect.

He's not the manager but he is the coach and there is a huge difference between coach and manager of a team.
    Mcglinchey is manager with Fitzgerald as coach
    And that is an excellent choice for waterford as Fitzgerald is well proven in nemo and with limerick run to senior all ireland football quarter final and indeed other teams
    I wish waterford football and Fitzgerald the best of luck with this appointment.

Sorry lads my mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,537 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Well done Noel Connors, Tadgh De Burca and Maurice Shanahan, all stars 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

Well done to the three lads though. I thought Noel was a bit lucky to get one.

Waternut wrote: »

Agree and disagree with you.

Clearly one of the best if not the best in his position all year, but then as a player who didn't play in a final he could have easily been overlooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭blue note

hardybuck wrote: »
    Agree and disagree with you.

Clearly one of the best if not the best in his position all year, but then as a player who didn't play in a final he could have easily been overlooked.

I actually agree that he was lucky, but don't think at all that he was undeserving. I usually find that they try to give teams the correct number of all stars and thought Tipp would at least get as many as us. He was superb all year though and well done to him and the others on well deserved all star awards.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Alf Tupper

Waternut wrote: »

Congrats to the three lads. Delighted for them.

Great for a small club like Clashmore to have an All Star and Tadhg was always a shoo in after a great year.

Brilliant for Maurice too after some tough times and well deserved.

Great for Noelie to get a second award.

Alf Tupper wrote: »
    Congrats to the three lads. Delighted for them.

Great for a small club like Clashmore to have an All Star and Tadhg was always a shoo in after a great year.

Brilliant for Maurice too after some tough times and well deserved.

Great for Noelie to get a second award.

Well said Alf. Am I right in thinking that Clashmore are now the 4th western team to produce an allstar along with Ballyduff upper,Lismore and Stradbally? Great achievement by all clubs mentioned above and without demeaning both Stradbally and Clashmore clubs,both wouldn't have been hurling strongholds so its a magnificent success story for both areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Alf Tupper

archieknox wrote: »
    Well said Alf. Am I right in thinking that Clashmore are now the 4th western team to produce an allstar along with Ballyduff upper,Lismore and Stradbally? Great achievement by all clubs mentioned above and without demeaning both Stradbally and Clashmore clubs,both wouldn't have been hurling strongholds so its a magnificent success story for both areas.

You can throw in Eoin Murphy from the Shamrocks as well Archie, not bad going at all.

Thought myself that Shane Fives was in with a real shout this year as well, he had a great year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement