Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

I was very much in the give-him-a-lash camp. Going for Queally or McGrath struck me as more of the same which wasn't going anywhere. How wrong can you be? Feel free to ignore anything I say from now on.

What was that? Oh. I see. Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,160 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

http://munster.gaa.ie/2015/10/22/2016-munster-under-21-and-minor-hurling-football-draws/

Minor Hurlers- R1 vs Cork- Cork Venue
    Minor Football-R1 vs Kerry- Waterford Venue

u21 hurlers- SF vs Clare- Waterford Venue
    u21 Football- SF- Winners of Clare/Cork QF-Waterford Venue

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

PTH2009 wrote: »
    http://munster.gaa.ie/2015/10/22/2016-munster-under-21-and-minor-hurling-football-draws/

Minor Hurlers- R1 vs Cork- Cork Venue
    Minor Football-R1 vs Kerry- Waterford Venue

u21 hurlers- SF vs Clare- Waterford Venue
    u21 Football- SF- Winners of Clare/Cork QF-Waterford Venue

Nice draw for the u21's........with the proper management in charge of course.
    Minor hurlers will be up against it away to a strong Cork outfit.(They're fancied to go all the way by alot of their knowledgeable supporters)

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Did the minors not play Cork in Cork the last time they played?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    Did the minors not play Cork in Cork the last time they played?

Yes they did and it was extra time the year they won the all ireland.
    Unless something has changed it should be in waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

I'm thinking that they might be setting it up so the team that wins their first round tie automatically gets home advantage against whatever team loses their first round tie and comes through the Munster back door. This would be a retrospective thing as I'm pretty sure it hasn't applied before, but it is an incentive to win the first game as opposed to making it a souped-up challenge match. It would mean that Waterford's game with Cork in 2013 doesn't count towards the home-away arrangement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Stradbally to win in the football this evening at 8? Priced at 1/9, is it a dead cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Not a bad draw for the u21's, big chance to finally get to a Munster final. What players are overage next year for u21? We should still have a strong enough group of lads.

Minor is always a bit of a minefield, seems like we always end up getting away fixtures at this grade!
    What's the minor team like for next year? I'm unfortunately going to assume the next few years we won't be too strong at this level if Harty cup, Tony Forristal and U16 development squads of the last 2-3 years are anything to go by. What stand out players have we? Is Thomas Douglas of DLS still a bit too young for minor? Billy Nolan possibly an outfield option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Dunford, Bourke, Kieran Bennett and mcNulty are the players overage next year from this years starting u21 team v Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Cake Man wrote: »
    Not a bad draw for the u21's, big chance to finally get to a Munster final. What players are overage next year for u21? We should still have a strong enough group of lads.

Minor is always a bit of a minefield, seems like we always end up getting away fixtures at this grade!
    What's the minor team like for next year? I'm unfortunately going to assume the next few years we won't be too strong at this level if Harty cup, Tony Forristal and U16 development squads of the last 2-3 years are anything to go by. What stand out players have we? Is Thomas Douglas of DLS still a bit too young for minor? Billy Nolan possibly an outfield option.
    This year's U-21 shambles must not be repeated if Waterford is serious about making progress at this level. A potential All Ireland was thrown away. A new manager and new selectors must be chosen. None of this year's management team deserves reappointment if the county is serious about making progress at this level.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

RIP to Adam O'Connor. A young man who hurled with Erins Own. Wicked sad altogether. My heart goes out to his family and friends. Puts GAA into perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Dunford, Bourke, Kieran Bennett and mcNulty are the players overage next year from this years starting u21 team v Cork.

Seems Cian Leamy broke a leg playing a soccer game last weekend too so he's another unlikely to be available for the U21's next year unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

archieknox wrote: »
    Nice draw for the u21's........with the proper management in charge of course.
    Minor hurlers will be up against it away to a strong Cork outfit.(They're fancied to go all the way by alot of their knowledgeable supporters)

Eh I don't know what you are basing that on. This group was well beaten at U-16 last year and will only have a 3-4 that played Minor this year. 2017's group is the highly rated one.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    RIP to Adam O'Connor. A young man who hurled with Erins Own. Wicked sad altogether. My heart goes out to his family and friends. Puts GAA into perspective.
    RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Anyone go to the Intermediate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Anyone go to the Intermediate?

Portlaw deserving winners. Modeligo missed Devine badly as a lot of high balls went into the forwards with no one able to win them. Portlaw had a lot of wides and should have won by more. Will need to be taking those chances if they are to survive up senior.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

Portlaw deserving winners. Modeligo missed Devine badly as a lot of high balls went into the forwards with no one able to win them. Portlaw had a lot of wides and should have won by more. Will need to be taking those chances if they are to survive up senior.

Why wasn't Devine playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Why wasn't Devine playing?
    f*cked up his hand during the week, something happened with smashed glass

• Registered Users Posts: 38,160 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Clare fancying themselves big time against us next year with the appointment of Donal og cusack as coach

Very good tactican

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Clare fancying themselves big time against us next year with the appointment of Donal og cusack as coach

Very good tactican

Could be what Clare are lacking given that their manager is tactically inept. But it is a strange one all the same. Id question Cusacks motives here, it seems like a 2 finger salute to Frank Murphy and the 'stooges' he hes had running battles with for the past 20 years. Plus the fact Davy is letting a very strong personality into his dressing room. Let everyone hype this up I say and see where it goes.

• Advertisement

Could be what Clare are lacking given that their manager is tactically inept. But it is a strange one all the same. Id question Cusacks motives here, it seems like a 2 finger salute to Frank Murphy and the 'stooges' he hes had running battles with for the past 20 years.

It's as could as a one man water protest on the hills of cratloe with n'er a camera around to capture it if that is his motive (which I doubt). The Cork CB won't give a f*ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭seananigans

Could be what Clare are lacking given that their manager is tactically inept. But it is a strange one all the same. Id question Cusacks motives here, it seems like a 2 finger salute to Frank Murphy and the 'stooges' he hes had running battles with for the past 20 years. Plus the fact Davy is letting a very strong personality into his dressing room. Let everyone hype this up I say and see where it goes.

2008 aif and 2011 munster final come to mind, donal og a good influence no doubt eyeing up the cork job i guess, frank murphy has to die sometime, it wouldnt do to lose to davy fitz's clare wil have to push them big time

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Alf Tupper

Two gigantic egos in one dressing room.

Interesting times ahead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

If ever there was a cuckoo scenario it's this
    Can see cusack running it up there yet....though I'd imagine he will/should improve the management/player relationship

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

But will Davy promote his West Waterford"insider" to an official role or will he leave well enough alone?!! Have no doubt this is a major concern going forward.

archieknox wrote: »
    But will Davy promote his West Waterford"insider" to an official role or will he leave well enough alone?!! Have no doubt this is a major concern going forward.

Who's this now Archie? No riddles please

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Strange one seeing Cusack going in there with Davy. Surely Cusack has gotten some sort of guarantee of being allowed to influence things or else he's wasting his time. When push comes to shove its hard to see Davy allowing anyone to have influence when it comes to big decisions in the championship.

Maybe Cusack is positioning himself as the natural successor when Davy leaves.

Interesting to see how it all plays out.

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    Strange one seeing Cusack going in there with Davy. Surely Cusack has gotten some sort of guarantee of being allowed to influence things or else he's wasting his time. When push comes to shove its hard to see Davy allowing anyone to have influence when it comes to big decisions in the championship.

Maybe Cusack is positioning himself as the natural successor when Davy leaves.

Interesting to see how it all plays out.

It is vintage Davy though. Hes constantly moaning a feeling sorry for himself that the media are always honing in on him and his team, then he goes and appoints one of the biggest media whores in the game to stand along side him! There are plenty of other top class coaches in the game that don't have Cusack's profile. There's a part of Davy that just loves the fact that he knows everyone is talking about him, be it good or bad. And here we go again!

What it means for Waterford... We'll definitely be going in under the radar in the Munster semi final anyway, then again teams playing against Davy normally do!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Alf Tupper

Who's this now Archie? No riddles please

Ah come on ML, you normally have your finger on the pulse.

The same man has been on Davy's payroll in Limerick for the past three years.

A serious conflict of interest looming coming up to next years Munster semi final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Alf Tupper wrote: »
    Ah come on ML, you normally have your finger on the pulse.

The same man has been on Davy's payroll in Limerick for the past three years.

A serious conflict of interest looming coming up to next years Munster semi final.

Are you talking about Jimmy Payne? reported in press hes on board as S&C coach

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement