Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

crazyman wrote: »

One other point -did anyone else notice Timmy O'Keefe refusing to move out of the way for a side line ball. He was standing almost on the pitch, and must have been 1 foot away from where it was to be taken, and when asked to stand back by the Ballygunner player he refused to move. WTF is his problem? Just looked awful.

Thought that very strange myself. He was like a dictator, thinking the game should be played around him.

Don't think anyone's gonna be too sorry to see the back of him. He's carry on has been very strange at times. Anyone hear potential candidates for the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭The Dickler

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    If Modeligo won the Intermediate would he be banned from reffing the Senior Championship then?

Delighted with the result but I actually thought he reffed the game to death.
    Have to agree there was a lack of atmosphere before and for long periods of the game.
    Nice piece in the programme penned by Fergal about his friend and comrade in arms "Foley". He was sadly missed yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭archieknox

DiscoStew wrote: »
    Thought that very strange myself. He was like a dictator, thinking the game should be played around him.

Don't think anyone's gonna be too sorry to see the back of him. He's carry on has been very strange at times. Anyone hear potential candidates for the job?

Pat Grant apparently is in pole position for the job. Agree with you that the out going man won't be missed by too many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

DiscoStew wrote: »

What arrogant childish behaviour from a guy thats supposed to set an example. I would have levelled him there and then had he refused to stand back. Wouldnt care about the repercussions. Hes been stealing a living in that job for too long. A complete fraud whose only in it for his own self gratification and alter ego. I hope the new person is a bit more about the people and not about condescending everyone that actually gives up their time and money for the love of the game

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Alf Tupper

archieknox wrote: »
    Pat Grant apparently is in pole position for the job. Agree with you that the out going man won't be missed by too many.

Plus ça change....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Or the time he spent 10 minutes trying to get lads off the sideline and delayed a County semi I think it was a few years ago. Or this constant farce over fixtures despite his 'master' fixture list initiative.

Or the time he spent 10 minutes trying to get lads off the sideline and delayed a County semi I think it was a few years ago. Or this constant farce over fixtures despite his 'master' fixture list initiative.

That was cringeworthy stuff. How ironic is it when the shoe was on the other foot on Sunday he refused to clear off out of the way. As for the 'master' fixture list well we have no representatives in the Munster senior club football championship this year, tells you all you need to know about the success of that. Lip-service is a word that springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭enoughtaken

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    That was cringeworthy stuff. How ironic is it when the shoe was on the other foot on Sunday he refused to clear off out of the way. As for the 'master' fixture list well we have no representatives in the Munster senior club football championship this year, tells you all you need to know about the success of that. Lip-service is a word that springs to mind.

Might have a representative in Munster Club Football. County Final down for Sunday week. Quarters this weekend, Semi's midweek and then County.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭crazyman

Might have a representative in Munster Club Football. County Final down for Sunday week. Quarters this weekend, Semi's midweek and then County.

That in itself is an insult to the players, particularly anyone who has to travel long distance midweek.

Heard a few months back from one of my mates involved with the Gaultier club that the Gaultier Juniors were to play the Brickies in a playoff to see who finishes 3rd or 4th in the group and to determine the quarter final line up. I think he said that the game was on directly after the same two clubs played a senior championship game, so the junior game was not taken too seriously as lads one have been on the senior panel which was the priority game. Anyway, Brickies won the junior playoff, meaning Gaultier finished 4th and would now play 1st place in the other group.
    However, the club were then contacted by Timmy to tell them that the Co. Board had decided that the playoff was now a knockout and that Gaultier were now knocked out of the championship. The club tried to appeal this decision but the Co. Board proceeded to play the next round of fixtures before the appeal could be heard, so were basically told to f**k off by the good Timmy.
    Personally I think that is shocking to treat players with such contempt and to just 'decide' they are now knocked out because of a possible fixture pile up. It's everything that's wrong with the GAA.
    Good riddance to him.

That in itself is an insult to the players, particularly anyone who has to travel long distance midweek.

Heard a few months back from one of my mates involved with the Gaultier club that the Gaultier Juniors were to play the Brickies in a playoff to see who finishes 3rd or 4th in the group and to determine the quarter final line up. I think he said that the game was on directly after the same two clubs played a senior championship game, so the junior game was not taken too seriously as lads one have been on the senior panel which was the priority game. Anyway, Brickies won the junior playoff, meaning Gaultier finished 4th and would now play 1st place in the other group.
    However, the club were then contacted by Timmy to tell them that the Co. Board had decided that the playoff was now a knockout and that Gaultier were now knocked out of the championship. The club tried to appeal this decision but the Co. Board proceeded to play the next round of fixtures before the appeal could be heard, so were basically told to f**k off by the good Timmy.
    Personally I think that is shocking to treat players with such contempt and to just 'decide' they are now knocked out because of a possible fixture pile up. It's everything that's wrong with the GAA.
    Good riddance to him.

Unbelievable? My god that is shocking. I'm amazed we didn't hear more about this but then seeing as it was a junior competition people won't give it the same recognition. Oh a proper little dictator that will be no loss to our association.

• Advertisement

Good riddance to him.

Yea its called the 'Timmy rule'. The same way it was just 'decided' that Clashmore would remain intermediate this year despite losing the relegation playoff to go down junior last year. Ive said all I have to say except the sooner he disappears the better and trust me he will disappear the same way as he sprang from nowhere to get the county secretary gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭thesultan

He forgot to book a band for the final. Why didn't they show it on TG4 last night?

thesultan wrote: »
    He forgot to book a band for the final. Why didn't they show it on TG4 last night?

Hahaha I take it that's tongue in cheek 👅. Why was the Ballinacourty v the Nire football game cancelled tonight does anyone know?

Hahaha I take it that's tongue in cheek 👅. Why was the Ballinacourty v the Nire football game cancelled tonight does anyone know?

Did Ballinacourty not play Clashmore last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭crazyman

Ballinacourty gave the nire a walkover.

Did Ballinacourty not play Clashmore last night?

Ballinacourty hammered them last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭enoughtaken

Ballinacourty gave the nire a walkover.

The Nire win 3 way playoff without playing a match !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

The Nire win 3 way playoff without playing a match !!!

Doesn't bode too well for club football in the county, credit where it's due Waterford clubs are usually very competitive in the munster championships,

If it's true that the county board dismissed tg4's request to show the deferred coverage it's an absolute disgrace, especially with tallow making the final for the first time in years I believe

Doesn't bode too well for club football in the county, credit where it's due Waterford clubs are usually very competitive in the munster championships,

Ah it was a farce of a thing anyway, all three will now take there place in the quarter finals which they had qualified for anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

If it's true that the county board dismissed tg4's request to show the deferred coverage it's an absolute disgrace, especially with tallow making the final for the first time in years I believe

I know for a fact their request was refused. Highlights were not even shown last night cos there were no cameras there. How's that promoting our game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭OEP

It would have been of no benefit to Ballinacourty to play 3 games in a week. They should be very confident of being able to beat the Brickeys or Gaultire so it really makes no difference whether they finish 1st or 2nd in the group.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Guys, I'd like to remind you all to read the note in the first post of the thread, particularly about abusing people personally (this includes county board officials). Feel free to criticise people involved in Waterford GAA but some of the posts are crossing the line and I'll have to hand out cards if it continues.

Jason Ryan is rumoured to be getting involved in the Tipp hurling set up for the coming year. That could be interesting. Wasn't he mentioned as a possible manager before Derek took over?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Jason Ryan is rumoured to be getting involved in the Tipp hurling set up for the coming year. That could be interesting. Wasn't he mentioned as a possible manager before Derek took over?

I'm led to believe he's going doing a dual club in wexico i was told that fortnight ago

I'm led to believe he's going doing a dual club in wexico i was told that fortnight ago

Oh ok I will take your word on that my source wouldn't be the most reliable!!

Yra he was interviewed im not sure if it was the same time as derek or was it when skully was given it. A bit overrated as a manager. Was a bit of a disaster at Kildare really apparantly didnt have the dressing room at all. and had one really good year with Wexford back in 08 when he had the outstanding forward in the country in Mattie Forde. How he was being put forward for the senior hurling job was baffling thank god common sense prevailed.

Coach for Tipp footballers is what I heard which would make a lot more sense. Paul Curran and Declan Fanning are going in with the hurlers so I'd say no more room at the inn there.

I'd be in the same boat as robopaddy, couldn't credit the thought of him going in as Senior hurling manager. Felt like one of those stories born in a pub that suddenly gained an unexpected wave of momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Yra he was interviewed im not sure if it was the same time as derek or was it when skully was given it. A bit overrated as a manager. Was a bit of a disaster at Kildare really apparantly didnt have the dressing room at all. and had one really good year with Wexford back in 08 when he had the outstanding forward in the country in Mattie Forde. How he was being put forward for the senior hurling job was baffling thank god common sense prevailed.

Tad unfair. Had them in a Leinster final in 2011 when they lost by a goal which their keeper made a massive clanger for. Dublin won the All Ireland that year. They were in dire straights when he took the role, three other candidates didn't want it. Left them in much better condition than when they found him.

Kildare was certainly a difficult time. I get the impression that there was a bit of snobbery towards a fella from Waterford coming in which didn't help.

When he was rumoured to be a contender for the Waterford job we were in a similar position to the Wexford footballers - we were short on money and short on interested candidates.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Tad unfair. Had them in a Leinster final in 2011 when they lost by a goal which their keeper made a massive clanger for. Dublin won the All Ireland that year. They were in dire straights when he took the role, three other candidates didn't want it. Left them in much better condition than when they found him.

Kildare was certainly a difficult time. I get the impression that there was a bit of snobbery towards a fella from Waterford coming in which didn't help.

When he was rumoured to be a contender for the Waterford job we were in a similar position to the Wexford footballers - we were short on money and short on interested candidates.

But hes not a hurling man at all. Never even hurled with his club. He was interviewed for the job so it was more than just a pub rumour. Not denying he did good with Wexford footballers but its chalk and cheese. I think the fact that he was young, fresh faced and spoke well and from Waterford made him a credible candidate in some peoples eyes. It would have been a crazy gamble to give him the job and could have set us back years. He struggled to get to grips with Kildare a county that has decent resources. What would he have been able to bring to waterford, in hurling a sport he has no experience with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

But hes not a hurling man at all. Never even hurled with his club. He was interviewed for the job so it was more than just a pub rumour. Not denying he did good with Wexford footballers but its chalk and cheese. I think the fact that he was young, fresh faced and spoke well and from Waterford made him a credible candidate in some peoples eyes. It would have been a crazy gamble to give him the job and could have set us back years. He struggled to get to grips with Kildare a county that has decent resources. What would he have been able to bring to waterford, in hurling a sport he has no experience with.

I agree fully with your logic, but we were in pretty bad shape at the time.

Edit: To my knowledge he has played senior club hurling with his club.

Anyway, all irrelevant now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement