Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Red Line security issues mega thread (read mod warming in post #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

dregin wrote: »
    Really had high hopes for the LUAS, but after two stints living on the red line, I'm now far happier using Dublin Bus. Nothing CLOSE to the level of anti-social behaviour on the bus compared to the LUAS.

What route(s) are you taking on the Bus?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

One of em is actually listed above as being awful - 77a. I've never seen any trouble with it. I think when there's one exit/entrance it's a lot easier for the driver to keep control of what's going on on a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

The red line and green line are like different worlds. I use the green line daily and the red line occasionly.

Never have an issue on the green line. But on the red line there is often something minor at least.

Having never gone further than heuston from connolly maybe I haven't seen the worst of it but from reading here it does sound very similar to what I used to experience on the 78a!

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

seen two junkies openly shooting up not five feet from me, actually seen the needles go into their arms, on the red line about a month ago going from four courts to james around 9pm.

pretty scary imagine if the driver had to brake suddenly and that junkie falls on someone with possibly a dirty infected needle in hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

Casshern88 wrote: »
    seen two junkies openly shooting up not five feet from me, actually seen the needles go into their arms, on the red line about a month ago going from four courts to james around 9pm.

pretty scary imagine if the driver had to brake suddenly and that junkie falls on someone with possibly a dirty infected needle in hand.

Ah come off it thats about the same chance as the roof caving in you must injecting aswell thinking those mad thoughts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Golaco

stehyl15 wrote: »
    Ah come off it thats about the same chance as the roof caving in you must injecting aswell thinking those mad thoughts

Unlikely admittedly but still pretty rough even having to witness them injecting in fairness. And seems to be pretty common

Golaco wrote: »
    Unlikely admittedly but still pretty rough even having to witness them injecting in fairness. And seems to be pretty common

People complaining junkies are only in Dublin and im saying its acceptable but theyre all over europe and at least we dont have that many gypsies to contend with

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

In reality ROI is a joke dealing with low lying crime. Fine them and take it out of their social welfare etc. None of this jail stuff spending a few hours in jail of a 3 week sentence.

AFAIK in California is you're caught throwing litter you spend a day clearing litter if you do not do a job come back next day for more.

In Casablanca a guy got 3 years jail for graffiti on their LUAS. In Morocco jail is really jail.

When in Ireland you meet really lovely people and really dreadful people. In many cases dreadful because they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭IsMiseMyself

I get the Luas twice a day, from Kylemore in to Connolly for work. I spend about an hour twenty on the thing every day. The scumbags are always there. James' is the biggest kip ever. 10 minute walk the other way and you get to Christchuch--really exemplifies the idea of Dublin as a city of villages. The dole office in James' deserves a documentary. The assortment of junkies and alcoholics you get there is extraordinary!

I find you just kinda get used to the scumbags and the junkies. I've only ever had one incident that directly related to me and that was some 12-year-old kid shouting abuse at me about how ugly I was. He sat down right beside me and all. That was a bit weird, has to be said. A part from that it's the standard stuff: junkies, people selling/doing drugs, alcoholics swaying around the place, young teenagers running around the place and shouting ****e. Some fat thinker was trying to sell a French bulldog on it one day--walked up and down the aisles asking people if they wanted the dog. One of my housemates had her iPhone stole right out of her hand! But you know: the usual. You really do just get used to it. I put my headphones in and arse around the internet for my trip so it's usually grand.

It really annoys me, though, how junkies get free travel or how the Luas police/storm troopers/TransDev men ignore the junkies. Oh and that recent price hike pissed me off too. :pac:

Greenman wrote: »
    I Casablanca a guy got 3 years jail for graffiti on their LUAS. In Morocco jail is really jail.

But in morocco you get stoned to death for shoplifting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

actually straight after banging up, the rush can cause the user/addict to go into a semi state of consciousness, could easily lose bearing and keel over./fall with needle in hand. Regardless, it is totally an unacceptable scenario

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

took my 2 yr old on her first trip on th green line. lovely couple of hrs.

wouldn't dream of getting on the red line on my own never mind with a child

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

varuka wrote:
    I've been using the luas red line for over a year and never had any problems.

it's very much subjective imo

if you grew up around the sorts of scum that frequent the red line then it probably seems relatively normal to you.
    I didn't and it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Caledonia

I totally agree with above, I guess the non ticketing on luas means anyone can jump on.

I have noticed how bad it has got and would say that you are taking a risk to your personal safety just by stepping on a red line tram.

The man who had his face slashed at the SJH, the man stabbed on his way home from the 3e...

I would nearly suggest a boycott until they sort out security issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭frankoreagan

Until addiction and homeless services are up to snuff (been waiting 30 years for that to happen, don't hold your breath) you're always going to see addicts and alcoholics milling about in and around the red line, just by virtue of the areas it serves.

I'm the meantime Veolia should at least increase the security presence on it, and the Guards should do more than a handful of plain clothes sweeps per year too. Feck all else that can be done really.

Personally, I find the groups of aggressive youths that tend to frequent the stops from Bluebell - James Hospital far more troublesome than the emaciated and often zonked out of their heads addicts.

I think they should install some kind of barrier at each door on the luas so you cant get on without a ticket. Or maybe even a system where the door wont open without a ticket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

I think they should install some kind of barrier at each door on the luas so you cant get on without a ticket. Or maybe even a system where the door wont open without a ticket

They need a barrier system to enter the station and to exit it so you can't get on OR off without a valid ticket for your journey.

More Red Line guff - hysterical over-reaction without a screed of evidence to support it.

Seeing people you are prejudiced against doesn't qualify as hassle or trouble - this thread is like reading the Princess and the Pea.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

I hate getting the Red Line; I always walk if possible. I've been on it a handful of times and on at least half those occasions there's been some kind of incident. It's not hyperbole and I'm far from precious. It's just unpleasant. I'd feel more comfortable on metros in Paris, London, NYC.

How best to be proactive about it? Lobby politicans? Contact Luas directly?

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Yeah Ive been on the NY subway at 4:00am and felt safer than on the Luas red line at times.
    It just represents the fact that this country is soft on crime. Transport law and order has got very lax in recent years. You could travel on the train from the west to Dublin now and not come across a single Irish Rail staff member.

• Advertisement

More Red Line guff - hysterical over-reaction without a screed of evidence to support it.

Seeing people you are prejudiced against doesn't qualify as hassle or trouble - this thread is like reading the Princess and the Pea.

Evidence? This is a discussion forum, not a courtroom. People are discussing their personal experiences. What kind of evidence would you like?

And yes, I am prejudiced against people who threaten me, frighten me and behave in an inappropriate manner in public - such as taking out their penis and urinating on the floor of the carriage. If you think someone has a princess complex because theyd rather not sit next to someone who is pissing in public - well that says a lot more about you than it does about them.

Pathetic.

Ive often security on the green line at balally in particular why are they been wasted on the green when theres not much trouble and red is pretty much a free for all. I can't help but think political correctness is the reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

+1 Mr Walsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The problems on the red line were forseeable. It runs through the biggest kips in this city right by the children's court. That was the single biggest mistake - some foresaw this before it was built but our great planners of course did not listen. Now we see the result.

The LCC line to Broombridge is a big mistake. Mark my words it's going to get worse.

There is no point building these things to places where the people don't appreciate it and would rather smash it up or don't mind their dragged up scrotes smashing them up.

I foresee a lot of broken windows on trams on the new line by the time they reach O'Connell st.

We tolerate too much of this behaviour in this city. We have stupid planners and no proper police force. Dublin City Center really is a hole particularly the northside. The criminal thing about our city is that the planners have made it the place that it is. All the drug clinics, lack of gardaí, the ring of social housing around the canals is all there by design and when you take that all together it means trouble.

Other cities in Europe intentionally don't vandalise their own city centers through good, sensible planning unlike Dublin.

MrWalsh wrote: »
    What kind of evidence would you like?

Evidence of something more unpleasant than having to see and hear people against whom they have a prejudice would be a good start.

Evidence of something more unpleasant than having to see and hear people against whom they have a prejudice would be a good start.

Cop on, people here are talking about anti social behaviour. Grind your axe elsewhere, people here have something to discuss and dismissive nonsense adds nothing to the discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

D aul pigeon line... Ah we will look back in years to come and say those were the days, aul dublin is disappearing!

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Cop on, people here are talking about anti social behaviour. Grind your axe elsewhere, people here have something to discuss and dismissive nonsense adds nothing to the discussion.

It's not a discussion, it's a series of prejudiced remarks with nothing to support them. No evidence, just prejudice. That may be what you want, but it hardly makes for a rational discussion.

"There's a type of people that annoy me, and I saw some of them on a tram. Why won't somebody make them go away? Or why did they ever build the tram line there in the first place?"

WADR, it's quite apparent that I'm not the one with the axe to grind. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I hate getting the Red Line; I always walk if possible. I've been on it a handful of times and on at least half those occasions there's been some kind of incident. It's not hyperbole and I'm far from precious. It's just unpleasant. I'd feel more comfortable on metros in Paris, London, NYC.

How best to be proactive about it? Lobby politicans? Contact Luas directly?

Not being funny but isn't most of this due to your inability to identify the local scumbags in either of these countries.

Id say ask a local the same question there and they would give you a different answer. Why because you'd be ignorant of the dangers and they wouldn't.

I seriously think people have rose tinted glasses about other countries..

Ridiculous.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Not being funny but isn't most of this due to your inability to identify the local scumbags in either of these countries.

Id say ask a local the same question there and they would give you a different answer. Why because you'd be ignorant of the dangers and they wouldn't.

I seriously think people have rose tinted glasses about other countries..

Ridiculous.

Can't speak for Paris and New York but in London you can't get through to the platform without a valid ticket for your journey, nor can you get out afterwards. It's a bit of a no brainer.

Advertisement