Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Red Line security issues mega thread (read mod warming in post #1)

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Nermal wrote: »
    The source of the problem is scrotes, not substance and alcohol abuse.

Dealing with it is not expensive, it just requires a visible transport police willing to crack a few skulls in the knowledge that the judiciary will back them up.

That's what we don't have and continental Europe does.

It's far more politically correct to blame it on all of society and pity the poor scrotes who had deprived childhoods and no football field to play in etc. It's always someone else's fault in this country. LUAS is a free ride for these people. There is a reason they are not on buses - because you have to pay getting on.

Whatever sympathy I had for them disappeared the day I was left black and blue in the face by one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,552 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Nermal wrote: »
    The source of the problem is scrotes, not substance and alcohol abuse.

Dealing with it is not expensive, it just requires a visible transport police willing to crack a few skulls in the knowledge that the judiciary will back them up.

That's what we don't have and continental Europe does.

Really?

As far as I can see we have a revolving door justice system at that level of crime.

Most of the people you're referring to are either substance or alcohol abusers for one reason or another - I'm not in any way being politically correct about this - it doesn't take Einstein to see that problem manifesting itself in any of our city centres.

Yet we do nothing to deal with the root cause of the problem.

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    It's far more politically correct to blame it on all of society and pity the poor scrotes who had deprived childhoods and no football field to play in etc. It's always someone else's fault in this country. LUAS is a free ride for these people. There is a reason they are not on buses - because you have to pay getting on.

Whatever sympathy I had for them disappeared the day I was left black and blue in the face by one of them.

Most of them already have FTP passes, so your argument doesn't wash.

The reality is that the LUAS goes through the areas they either live in or where they get their fixes/substitutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

LXFlyer wrote: »

The reality is that the LUAS goes through the areas they either live in or where they get their fixes/substitutes.

I've seen plenty get checked for tickets. How do you know "most of them already have FTP passes?".

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I've seen plenty get checked for tickets. How do you know "most of them already have FTP passes?".

From over 40 years as a passenger on public transport you tend to observe these things - these people in the main would be showing bus drivers a pass as they boarded - I doubt they've lost it since they migrated to LUAS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

From over 40 years as a passenger on public transport you tend to observe these things - these people in the main would be showing bus drivers a pass as they boarded - I doubt they've lost it since they migrated to LUAS.

The plural of anecdote is not data.
    To this day, even though it's been debunked so much it's nearly a joke, I hear people telling me about the abandoned buggys when the bus comes.

I've ran the numbers on this five times now on these boards but this stupid urban myth will not die.

Do you people think there is a box on the application form that asks "scumbag? TICK HERE your pass will be with you in 2-3 working days!". You have to be on Disability Allowance a Carer or a senior citizen to get an FT pass, the latter two obviously don't apply, and to get DA you have to have a long term disability lasting longer than a year, you have to fill out a long medical report that has to get through two layers of red tape, a welfare officer and a medical officer, you are then subject to review by a state appointed doctor at any time.

Yes, some skangers are in such a state that they qualify for this, but the notion that "most" skangers have a pass is just not true.

There is also the fact that until the smartcards came in, the paper passes were disgracefully easy to forge, and that's where this idea originally came from that every skanger in the land had an FT pass because they all had these easy fakes, and there was no live way to check them if they looked right, you could even split the same pass in two and it looked genuine on first glance. Now you can hold it up to the LEAP reader and see if it's been tagged (indicating it's valid) or you can phone a number and punch in the card number to check validity (since the date on the front is merely the maximum possible date of validity of the physical card it does not indicate the cards currently valid).

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

For those who do have them and abuse the privilege of having an FT pass there is a simple remedy I don't see any problem with:

• Bar anyone with a criminal conviction (including fare evasion) from getting a pass.
    • Allow Transport staff the ability to confiscate it at their discretion, if the customer is being anti-social, and then they have to wait for it to be mailed back, if it's confiscated a second time the DSP kills the pass and permanently bars the person from getting another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭cmore123

Now that the Green line extension brings it into connection with the Red line, I wonder will these worthless filth migrate onto it too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

There was a story in the news in the last week about people involved in rural crime using rail network to avoid Garda checks on the motorways. There was mention of a DA pass being used. When I googled it I found using rail to avoid go under the radar has been a thing for a good few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

The majority of anti social behaviour on the luas that I've experienced had involved gangs of kids and teenagers, who dont have FTP passes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    For those who do have them and abuse the privilege of having an FT pass there is a simple remedy I don't see any problem with:

• Bar anyone with a criminal conviction (including fare evasion) from getting a pass.
    • Allow Transport staff the ability to confiscate it at their discretion, if the customer is being anti-social, and then they have to wait for it to be mailed back, if it's confiscated a second time the DSP kills the pass and permanently bars the person from getting another one.

That seems like a very logical and reasonable suggestion.

Free travel is a privilege, if you abuse it you should loose it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

conorhal wrote: »

The majority of anti social behaviour on the luas that I've experienced had involved gangs of kids and teenagers, who dont have FTP passes.

Might depend on your route and time. Most I see are junkies and people in and out of court.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭solidasarock

cmore123 wrote: »
    Now that the Green line extension brings it into connection with the Red line, I wonder will these worthless filth migrate onto it too?

Saw my first person passed out on the floor on the green line today so its happening!

Dude was on the floor of the back carriage. Told someone to "f off" when they tried the check if he was at alive.

Advertisement