Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My God, it's full of stars!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Test set was "fun". A while getting everything set up as its been a while.

Warm up fine. I've been neglecting my maintenance after running so suspected rec fems might complain.

#1 275watts 172bpm 92rpm
    #2 278watts 174bpm 92rpm
    #3 278watts 175bpm 88rpm
    #4 267watts 174bpm 87rpm

Rec fems acted up and I lost focus in #4, struggled to turn the gears and a slight pause at 2:20 in for a couple of seconds to recover

106mtte.jpg

Given training the last few years its a reasonable start for someone who is untrained now.

Week 39 review

Swim duration: 1:45
    Swim distance: 4400m
    Bike duration: 5:26
    Bike distance: 146km
    Run duration: 3:03
    Run distance: 36.3km
    Total duration: 10:15

A reasonable week. My left shoulder seems to be happy with my improved form so may lift the distance in a week or so. Run volume much lower then I would like but going the right way. A solid Sunday club ride to round it all off.A good week.

Name|Goal Time|Actual time
    Tunney|39:xx|
    Kurt godel|59:xx*|
    Joey100|37:xx|
    Tango|39:xx|
    Mrs Tunney|59:xx|
    Mrs Tango|1:04:xx|
    Jackyback|39:xx|
    Bryangiggsy|40:01|

Dying a death on the main board. So.........

* He could run close to 40, maybe under. the extra time is doing chin ups in the trees, burpies in the bushes and benching marshals

I will not be wearing compression socks, IRL tri kit nor a visor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

tunney wrote: »
    Name|Goal Time|Actual time
    Kurt godel|59:xx*|

*Humour isn't allowed, read the memo

I look forward to meeting in the competitive arena.

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    *Humour isn't allowed, read the memo

I look forward to meeting in the competitive arena.

Humour allowed here baldy - you not been following my training the last few years, its a complete joke!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

my training the last few years

The Tunney Training Plan
    Step 1. Resolve to get back on the horse.
    Step 2. Create tables, graphs, multiple posts on Boards. Flurry of enthusiasm.
    Step 3. Cycle in and out to work for a week. Go to the NAC for 40 minutes.
    Step 4. Reward yourself with red wine and take a break for a month.
    Step 5. Post picture of skinny Tunney from 10 years ago. Cry into jumbo snack box.
    Repeat ad nauseum

The Tunney Training Plan
    Step 5. Post picture of skinny Tunney from 10 years ago. Cry into jumbo snack box.
    Repeat ad nauseum

In step 3 at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

The Tunney Training Plan
    Repeat ad nauseum

I am laughing so hard right now, Step 4 should be two bottles of red wine and Step 5 should include "mention the 31:xx 10k i done" ...it was only 8k i heard:)

I am laughing so hard right now, Step 4 should be two bottles of red wine and Step 5 should include "mention the 31:xx 10k i done" ...it was only 8k i heard:)

"Ohhhh look at me I did a half ironman on nine weeks training" :)

Another reasonable week last week. Decent enough long spin with Tango yesterday. Fecked up the speed work run on Friday though, horrific pacing.

• Advertisement

Got a session to do tonight. Looked at it, read it thrice, thought "thats going to kill" me. Clarified a question on wattages and was informed "nope just one set by the way".

Phewww..........

Run with Tango yesterday and a hard turbo last night. Checked my approach to the set with coach, glad I did as it was meant to be one rep not two. Little muscle and power in my legs so suffered. Tough but fun, did my best. Found once the watts went over 300 I struggled. As if I needed to do some BG sets.

6 mins : 274 watts AP HR 157 avg
    5 mins : 281 watts AP HR 158 avg
    4 mins : 294 watts AP HR 163 avg
    3 mins : 300 watts AP HR 166 avg
    2 mins : 305 watts AP HR 162 avg
    1 min : 343 watts AP HR 157 avg

HR wayyyy down on this.

Rich snapped his achilles and is in for surgery today, out of the blue, pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Would you mind expanding on the over 300w, struggling => BG sets conclusion?

RJM85 wrote: »
    Would you mind expanding on the over 300w, struggling => BG sets conclusion?

Its completely subjective. I found myself struggling to "get over the top" of the pedal stroke at > 300w. That is from 11-1 if you think of the rotation of the pedals as a clock face. I have always found that BG work (where BG means 50rpm kurt) helps with this. Not high wattage BG work just to work on muscle recruitment patterns I think.

Its completely subjective. I found myself struggling to "get over the top" of the pedal stroke at > 300w. That is from 11-1 if you think of the rotation of the pedals as a clock face. I have always found that BG work (where BG means 50rpm kurt) helps with this. Not high wattage BG work just to work on muscle recruitment patterns I think.

Food for thought. Thanks.

Food for thought. Thanks.

Its just me. I think the whole O-ring thing is fixing a problem the easy way - fix how you cycle and then no dead spots.

Its just me. I think the whole O-ring thing is fixing a problem the easy way - fix how you cycle and then no dead spots.

Something that played at the back of my mind a bit last season was that I seemed to have some sort of arbitrary limit on power at 300w in certain circumstances (most evident in Sprint tris). FTP tests, time trials and general experience tell me I should have no issue sustaining higher but my effort seemed to be capped. A quick look back over files seems to suggest that I self select a higher cadence in TTs and tests than at races.

Edit: yeah, but O rings look pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

are you using a coach again to make you commit more to your sessions? the reason i ask is, you are a coach and you know how to get the best out of others as seen here how well a few of the folks are progressing, do you think it would be easier to make an excuse not to do a session if you were coaching yourself?

Something that played at the back of my mind a bit last season was that I seemed to have some sort of arbitrary limit on power at 300w in certain circumstances (most evident in Sprint tris). FTP tests, time trials and general experience tell me I should have no issue sustaining higher but my effort seemed to be capped. A quick look back over files seems to suggest that I self select a higher cadence in TTs and tests than at races.

Edit: yeah, but O rings look pretty cool.

I always found that I, and most people I help, need to keep cadence under 90 to maximise power generation. I naturally spin fast so i worked on getting it down and need to do so again as effectively detrained.

Pmaldini wrote: »
    are you using a coach again to make you commit more to your sessions? the reason i ask is, you are a coach and you know how to get the best out of others as seen here how well a few of the folks are progressing, do you think it would be easier to make an excuse not to do a session if you were coaching yourself?

I am back working with Rich Brady. Aka Trimonkey.
    Formerly the tri coach for a squad based in a boarding school in south of England where he worked with Robin Brew. Coached Bermuda Olympian Flora Duffy in a few Commonwealth games, ITU champs and Olympic games and he is now Welsh Performance Development Coach.

I started working with Rich a decade ago, made huge gains (4:11 half and 9:51 full (with poor race execution, damn cups)), and then for personal reasons I fell out of the sport start 2011. I tried to work with him a few times over the last few years but it never took - that is me training again. I have tried to get help from others and to self coach. This never worked as I was not accountable to myself or found it hard to take help from people who I felt I knew more than.

This year I am ready to return to proper training and I intend to. I had wanted to ask Rich to take me back for a number of reasons.
    One - he knows his sh1t.
    Two - his attitude to life is inspiring.
    Three - I get on fantastically with him.
    Four - My wife gets on with his wife.
    Five - We have kids the same age.
    Six - he knows me better than I know myself. I would argue that I know alot of my lads better than they know themselves. Some may even testify to that. Some may not know it yet as well. He knows me backwards and I can easily see that everything I do I do for a reason and the reason is always tailored to me.
    Seven - I trust him completely.

I could go on and on and on but I won't :)
    I wanted to get back working with him but I felt awkward "trying again" after the last few failed attempts at training. However he sent me an email wishing me happy birthday and I said "fvck it, nothing ventured nothing gained".

In a nutshell there are few people in the world I do not want to let down. My kids, my wife, my sister, my parents - and Rich. I respect him and if he tells me to do something I may clarify but I will never question and I will execute to the best of my ability.

To sum it up - why do I work with a coach? He knows more about the sport than me, he knows more about me than me, he makes me accountable, he keeps my training realistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I think even if you look at the pro athletes that are coaching, they themselves are coached by someone else. If nothing else it is about accountability and being held accountable.

Others might think of it like a plumber, the **** has to flow downhill ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

the benefits of you being coached by Rich has a great knock on effect for your athletes i'd imagine, fresh ideas etc.. pay it forward as they say

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

In a nutshell there are few people in the world I do not want to let down. My kids, my wife, my sister, my parents, my footwear guy- and Rich. I respect him and if he tells me to do something I may clarify but I will never question and I will execute to the best of my ability.

FYP ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

I am back working with Rich Brady. Aka Trimonkey.
    Formerly the tri coach for a squad based in a boarding school in south of England where he worked with Robin Brew. Coached Bermuda Olympian Flora Duffy in a few Commonwealth games, ITU champs and Olympic games and he is now Welsh Performance Development Coach.

I started working with Rich a decade ago, made huge gains (4:11 half and 9:51 full (with poor race execution, damn cups)), and then for personal reasons I fell out of the sport start 2011. I tried to work with him a few times over the last few years but it never took - that is me training again. I have tried to get help from others and to self coach. This never worked as I was not accountable to myself or found it hard to take help from people who I felt I knew more than.

This year I am ready to return to proper training and I intend to. I had wanted to ask Rich to take me back for a number of reasons.
    One - he knows his sh1t.
    Two - his attitude to life is inspiring.
    Three - I get on fantastically with him.
    Four - My wife gets on with his wife.
    Five - We have kids the same age.
    Six - he knows me better than I know myself. I would argue that I know alot of my lads better than they know themselves. Some may even testify to that. Some may not know it yet as well. He knows me backwards and I can easily see that everything I do I do for a reason and the reason is always tailored to me.
    Seven - I trust him completely.

I could go on and on and on but I won't :)
    I wanted to get back working with him but I felt awkward "trying again" after the last few failed attempts at training. However he sent me an email wishing me happy birthday and I said "fvck it, nothing ventured nothing gained".

In a nutshell there are few people in the world I do not want to let down. My kids, my wife, my sister, my parents - and Rich. I respect him and if he tells me to do something I may clarify but I will never question and I will execute to the best of my ability.

To sum it up - why do I work with a coach? He knows more about the sport than me, he knows more about me than me, he makes me accountable, he keeps my training realistic.

Very best of luck with the adventure Dave

I always found that I, and most people I help, need to keep cadence under 90 to maximise power generation. I naturally spin fast so i worked on getting it down and need to do so again as effectively detrained.

Cadence below 90 (about 75-80) works well for me for longer stuff, but I appear to do better with a higher cadence on shorter stuff (about 95-100).

It was suggested to plot my power vesrus intervals.
    I think I'll be seeing this session alot.

2l8hp1g.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

Out of curiosity (and you don't have to give me the session!) what was the purpose of the session?? Was each interval flat out or was it done with one eye on the next?

joey100 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity (and you don't have to give me the session!) what was the purpose of the session?? Was each interval flat out or was it done with one eye on the next?

No, not done flat out, done in the context of the session. When CG retrained and my body retrained should be rather different!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Was each of the 6 intervals the same duration? And were they all supposed to be the same effort?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

was wondering the same thing. how were the targets set?

Advertisement