Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My God, it's full of stars!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Better to plan for and do 5hrs training a week than planning 10hrs and only managing half that and beating yourself up over it.

I was only planning 6, will get 5 down :)

I find it hard to have the training mojo when I don't have anything to specifically train for...too early to start for next tri season. This is a total limbo time of year. Have you rejoined a running club? Target cross country season along with bit of swim and cycle?

I was going to join Clonliffe Harriers a few months ago - but work decided I needed to work late every day since. Hope to be able to do something like this soon. However the tri club is revamping and reorganising completely so that should meet my motivational needs.
    j0hn1 wrote: »
    Just run for a few months instead, take the pressure off yourself.
    Better bang for your training hours buck.
    Plenty of running races to target in the new year, give yourself a chance to a hit a target.

I do enjoy running, I am better at it than the other two sports - but I love all three!
    Better to plan for and do 5hrs training a week than planning 10hrs and only managing half that and beating yourself up over it.

Agreed and I wasn't doing that. Stuff came up that meant all dropped. Will go into things in more detail off line.

Also this is most likely my last self coached week should be different then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

tunney wrote: »
    I was only planning 6, will get 5 down :)

"Do as I say, not as I do" :)

Care for a friendly wager? Any race, any distance, any discipline; this side of 2015.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

There-Can-Be-Only-One.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Kurt_Godel wrote: »

Care for a friendly wager? Any race, any distance, any discipline; this side of 2015.

Oh jesus!! :eek:

Did you not see the result last year when his left hand threw down the gauntlet and his right hand picked up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Beer mile???? :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8yZau5Qen3EZ4KMQ8sZEZWaU5P_BB2D9BocBYwnIzhEOFHWUj

so many gifs that work here ...overload overload

5km or 10km road race, late November early December.

Bring it baldy

5km or 10km road race, late November early December.

Bring it baldy

While trying to find stuff to bait "The Eagle" with I found this

391890.jpg

My one and only time leading a 10km and it only last about 600m (and it turned out to be a 9km)

Everyone thought I looked terrible and that I look healthy now. I think the opposite.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

don;t waste beer like that, my seasons over on saturday, send it to me, i'll galdly take care of it for you..:)

this thread really needs some eye of the tiger in the background now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

While trying to find stuff to bait "The Eagle" with I found this

391890.jpg

My one and only time leading a 10km and it only last about 600m (and it turned out to be a 9km)

Everyone thought I looked terrible and that I look healthy now. I think the opposite.

And running alongside Andy Bolt, impressive. Who won on the day??

So thats how you get good running form, lose 10kg and 10 years?

BTH wrote: »
    And running alongside Andy Bolt, impressive. Who won on the day??

Number 828? (or is it 829?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Number 828? (or is it 829?)

Yup. Sound lad.

So thats how you get good running form, lose 10kg and 10 years?

It'll help toward losing the 3kg I'll need for a sub 19 5k, or sub 40 10k.

10 years???... since you last dreamed of those sort of times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

You looked taller back then, now just the same height as me, give or take an inch.

BTH wrote: »
    Yup. Sound lad.

It was running under someone elses name then.

He finished 204th
    829 DANIEL KIRWAN 00:36:34

I was 9th in 31:10

It'll help toward losing the 3kg I'll need for a sub 19 5k, or sub 40 10k.

10 years???... since you last dreamed of those sort of times!

31 minutes in a 10km definitely 10 years ago since I dreamed of that.

Sub 40 10k - did that last year hungover :)

31 minutes in a 10km definitely 10 years ago since I dreamed of that.

Sub 40 10k - did that last year hungover :)

And that complacency will be your undoing :)

Winner pays €50 to others kids GAA or swim club?

• Advertisement

Fair enough.

Any race other than the ones on the weekend 4/5/6 December - abroad for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Brilliant!! ;):)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Brilliant!! ;):)

Obviously I meant winner pays his kids club from the losers pocket... obviously! ;)

Tuesday 1st September 2015

A 0500 start to the day, and a very long day it was. Anyways sat on the turbo for the first time in donkeys about 2000 and had a nice session. Some complaints from VMOs in the harder bits. Felt good to be back on the turbo to be honest. Will probably sleep like a log tonight, won't say like a baby as experience has shown they sleep really badly.

Wednesday 2nd September 2015

Up at 0530 to leave the inlaws to the airport, thought I might as well get my hour run done then. Legs blocked and slugglish. Rec fems and hip flexors tight. And still half asleep from the last few nights.

Heard a great expression yesterday:
    "there is positive stress - when you are under pressure, you have all the responsibilty but you also have the control and power to affect the outcome."

"and there is negative stress - when you are under pressure, you have all the responsibilty and you have no control no power to affect the outcome."

I actually swam this morning. A proper set and in the water at 0640

Mad ould b1tch was there. She swims like a nutter (and badly) and bullies everyone out of the lane so she has a lane, the best lane to herself. I'm not inclined to be bullied so hopped in. Within 200m she had punched me in the mouth. I just kept ignoring and swimming on. She never checks if its safe to kick off the wall, so she ploughed into me. Another time she missed timed her turn I misplaced my foot as a result of her turn and it was placed on her ribs.

So frustrating that she cannot swim with the lane for cappers or at least let people through. On a plus side it keeps you sharp and you cannot go into a trance and its good OW practice too.

Also there has been a completely boycott of sleep in our house. Bar Aoibhe. She sleeps through everything. But I am wrecked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

"there is positive stress - when you are under pressure, you have all the responsibilty but you also have the control and power to affect the outcome."

"and there is negative stress - when you are under pressure, you have all the responsibilty and you have no control no power to affect the outcome."

Dont mind the first one but hate the second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Bambaata

That granny is crazy! Fortunately ive not come across her in 2 months, as i havent been to the pool :P Thinking of making a comeback though! Are you in NW for the foreseeable future? If you are planning on a dip any morning let me know, the motivation to meet someone there might help me from bed!

• Advertisement

Bambaata wrote: »
    That granny is crazy! Fortunately ive not come across her in 2 months, as i havent been to the pool :P Thinking of making a comeback though! Are you in NW for the foreseeable future? If you are planning on a dip any morning let me know, the motivation to meet someone there might help me from bed!

Will be in the water three mornings a week from here on. In tomorrow morning. Although I suspect my present pace is well below yours. Not swam much in a few years.

Advertisement