Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving up seat for Pregnant women

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

These days sometimes it is hard to tell whether a woman is pregnant or fat.
    Fat people may end up taking advantage of the situation!:D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

I don't usually offer up my seat to pregnant women but will for someone in general who looks uncomfortable or in pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Afroshack wrote: »
    Well no, I don't. How do you evaluate need?

For example, if I donated blood the day before taking the train and was still very slightly woozy, but not enough to faint, does that need exceed yours? Or what if I just had a bad back but wasn't in excruciating pain? Or if someone went out the night before and was feeling sick from hungoveritis?

So what is this criteria for needing a seat?

Jaysis, if you're still woozy a day after giving blood you seriously need to get checked out! That's not normal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Btw I actively watch out for people who might need a seat more than me, and wouldn't think twice about asking them to take it.

The point is nobody should feel entitled to a seat over someone else. It's nice when someone offers you their seat if you need it but there is no obligation to do so. They've paid (presumably), same as you have. The expectation annoys me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Baby Jane

Well no, I don't. How do you evaluate need?

For example, if I donated blood the day before taking the train and was still very slightly woozy, but not enough to faint, does that need exceed yours? Or what if I just had a bad back but wasn't in excruciating pain? Or if someone went out the night before and was feeling sick from hungoveritis?

So what is this criteria for needing a seat?
    I don't know which is more petty: the "not giving up a seat as a badge of honour" thing or the arguing for the sake of it (I mean that in general, not just you 'Froshack).
    A person with a limp/on crutches, an elderly/frail person, a person who's feeling unwell, a heavily pregnant woman. Yes I know there could be other people who have hidden ailments that could do with sitting down, but people can't be expected to acknowledge what they can't see. If it's visible though, it's just basic consideration and a little bit of empathy - what's become so undesirable about these qualities?
    To refuse to offer a seat just because others might have invisible disabilities seems like a cop-out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

Jaysis, if you're still woozy a day after giving blood you seriously need to get checked out! That's not normal!

Haha, no I'm not but its just an example! I mean, at what point does one persons situation override another's? How woozy or faint must I feel to turn down a person who is elderly/ pregnant but in reality is fine standing? Baby Jane said it should be obvious when someone needs to sit- I asked how do you evaluate said need on the scale of needing to sit down?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

Baby Jane wrote: »
    I don't know which is more petty: the "not giving up a seat as a badge of honour" thing or the arguing for the sake of it.
    A person with a limp/on crutches, an elderly/frail person, a person who's feeling unwell, a heavily pregnant woman. Yes I know there could be other people who have hidden ailments that could do with sitting down, but people can't be expected to acknowledge what they can't see. If it's visible though, it's just basic consideration and a little bit of empathy - what's become so undesirable about these qualities?
    To refuse to offer a seat just because others might have invisible disabilities seems like a cop-out.

I agreed with you to an extent. I'm not offering my seat to anyone unless they seem like they need it. I was on crutches a few years ago and much preferred to
    stand on the bus leaning against the wall. It was a lot more comfortable.

I don't think anyone should be obligated to offer a seat. If they do great. If they don't and you need one ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Haha, no I'm not but its just an example! I mean, at what point does one persons situation override another's? How woozy or faint must I feel to turn down a person who is elderly/ pregnant but in reality is fine standing? Baby Jane said it should be obvious when someone needs to sit- I asked how do you evaluate said need on the scale of needing to sit down?

Common sense, I would have thought. If you can come up with all manner of justifications not to offer someone your seat, then you'd surely have the common sense to judge when someone else might need a seat more than you do.

I don't know which is more petty: the "not giving up a seat as a badge of honour" thing or the arguing for the sake of it (I mean that in general, not just you 'Froshack).

But that's exactly my point. You said you shouldn't be expected to acknowledge what you can't see. Instead, you think they are lazy, considerate or lacking empathy, rather than just genuinely feeling a bit crap or exhausted. You are doing just that - making assumptions on what you can't see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Its not like you are seated in a bus packed with standing pregnant women, elderly persons, persons with crutches etc while you may have a disability hidden or otherwise and have to make a decision as to who deserves the seat most after of course questioning all other seemingly able bodied persons on the bus to ascertain whether they have a hidden disability. Its simply courteous to offer a seat to someone who you think may need it more than you.

• Advertisement

I dont think its so much 'refuse to offer a seat' as frankly a lot of people not even noticing if someone needs one.
    Case in point. My Dart bound for city centre in the morning. Usually packed. If you get a seat you sit down and usually start to read a book/kindle or scrutinise phone or tablet. You dont tend to look up at every stop and scan who is getting on (unless you think you have over shot your stop)
    So really, whereas pregnant women might like to think that everyone notices them, and is just too rude to give a seat, the reality is probably nobody even spots you. Honestly if someone hopped on my dart dressed in PJs I dont think I would see them until I stood up to get off at my stop.

BTW, have no issue with offering others my own seat if I'm fine to stand - I just take issue with the sense of entitlement that others are 'owed' a seat because of pregnancy or whatever reason or they should automatically be entitled above others without considering that others may have a hidden need themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Great wall of Text.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I thought there used to be seating with a pregnant woman and elderly person sticker on that says you have to give up the seat if either needs it. Do they not do that anymore?

No it says give up the seat to elderly/disabled people, has done for the twenty odd years I've been on public transport.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Only one seat on a tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Brilliant! :D

Yes, of course I offer up my seat when I see another person may need it more than I do. I don't expect other people to give up their seat for me though, so all these people imagining scenarios to justify their not giving up their seat, it'd be easier to admit you just couldn't be arsed than "what if they have this, that and the other".

My body is riddled with arthritis, I'm in constant pain and some days I have to use crutches to get around. I still wouldn't mind giving up a fcuking seat to someone who I feel needs it more than I do. I'm not going to die for not giving up a seat and it's simply a mannerly gesture, something small that doesn't require much effort on my part to make someone else's life that little bit easier.

I'm all for giving up my seat. Most of the time I just stand anyway, even if there is seats. My point was that I don't think it's for other people to judge if someone else doesn't automatically get up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Well, think about it, if youre a young person and you fall over from being hungover/sick/giving blood chances are you'll be grand and get back up again feeling a bit foolish. Your chances of falling are pretty slim anyway.
    If an elderly person falls over theyll probably injure themselves quite badly. Their balance wont be the greatest, lets face it.
    A pregnant woman in the last few months will have problems with balance as the hormone relaxin starts messing with her pelvis, her chances of falling over are greatly increased, if she falls she could potentially hurt her baby or create an emergency situation where she goes into early labour. There are serious consequences for a heavily pregnant woman falling.
    When I was pregnant, stairs and getting in and out of the bath for a shower terrified me as my balance went completely out the window and I also couldn't see my feet and its not like being fat where you can pull in your belly. I fell once and it was absolutely terrifying! Luckily I was fine but I had to spend the evening in the maternity scared out of my mind first.

These would probably be good reasons to let an elderly or pregnant woman have a seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

I was almost always offered a seat when I was pregnant. I'd usually accept it too, even if I wasn't feeling uncomfortable, because there were times I politely declined but regretted it by the time I reached the end of my commute!

If I wasn't feeling well and needed a seat (whether pregnant or not), I'd just ask. I would tend to ask a table of four people, as chances are not all four of them will have hidden disabilities, so you're not putting just one person on the spot.

I hate when you see people sitting in the "disability" seats who bury themselves in their phone or book or whatever, and don't even look out for someone who might be in need of the seat. It's fine to switch off when you're in another seat (although I'd still hope most people would have some awareness of what's going on around them, and would offer their seat to someone more in need) - but if you're an able-bodied person choosing to sit in one of those seats, I think you have a responsibility to actively look out for someone who might be in need of it. Rather than making them come ask for it. I would actually be less likely to approach someone in those seats if I were pregnant/unwell/disabled/whatever, as I'd be conscious that they might have a less obvious disability themselves. But I've a feeling that's often not the case - people just don't give a crap.

Pregnancy isn't a disability, but even apart from the horrible side-effects that it often entails, it physically changes your centre of gravity very rapidly and makes it a lot harder to maintain your balance on public transport. I wouldn't necessarily expect people to give up their seats, but it's just the decent considerate thing to do. It's not an automatic entitlement, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

My wife has been in and out of Holles St recently, the expectant fathers that go along for every appointment haven't the brains to get up and let a pregnant woman sit down in a maternity ward, apparently one of the mid wives lets a roar at any that are taking up a chair when a womans is standing

People are asses, many wont even move their bags off an empty seat to let someone sit down. Stick you belly out as far as you can and shame someone into moving

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

I'm only 3 months pregnant but have a very bad pelvis problem, I have to use crutches and wear a brace...still nobody offers me a seat. I walk at a snails pace too so its not like I'm buzzing around the place. Really struggled standing on the luas today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

I would have no problem whatsoever giving up my seat to a pregnant woman an elderly person of a person with a disability it's only good manners, and thank God I am healthy enough to stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Always, how could you not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Swan2012

Thanks for all the comments, some interesting ones to consider!
    I dont intend to come across that i feel a sense of entitlement to a seat because if that was the case I would be asking for one every day. Its just it's very nice and kind when it does happen. I also do realise some people don't notice me due to iphones and books. The newer trains do have a picture of a pregnant lady on the window of priority seat to respond to one post but i don't want to be the one to enforce it, l'd rather the occupant give it up willingly. With regard to commuting options, suggestions given aren't an option as much as i'd like them to be.

On the upside, i only have 11 weeks to go so will continue with my human nature observations as just that. And will take the few kind gestures as 'pay it forward's'. Heres to hoping i dont go into labour on the train. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

sup_dude wrote: »
    I'm all for giving up my seat. Most of the time I just stand anyway, even if there is seats. My point was that I don't think it's for other people to judge if someone else doesn't automatically get up.

I don't think anyone was judging anyone who doesn't automatically get up though, it was more the posters who were coming out with all manner of excuses as to why someone wouldn't automatically get up. I don't think the OP expected anyone to get up, she was just wondering do they?

People making excuses as to why a person wouldn't get up are being entirely disingenuous IMO and rallying against a point that was never made (this "sense of entitlement"), kinda funny the lack of self-awareness in rallying against perceptions of self-entitlement though if you think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

always stand on public transport wehr possible, at least be looking out at the progressive world instead of looking at depressed people going to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

galljga1 wrote: »
    I have given up my seat to both pregnant ladies and elderly persons. 40+ now but I have always done so. On one occasion, I got up and had to walk a bit down a carriage to get the attention of a pregnant lady to offer her my seat. When I turned back, my seat had been taken by a young twat who was not for moving. I whispered sweet nothings in his ear..... he moved.

40 Jesus ! I am 50 and well able to stand on my own two feet.

Yes I would give up my seat to someone I thought needed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Zippie84

lollpop wrote: »

Pregnancy isn't a disability but growing a human in your belly can be exhausting so a seat would always be appreciated!

This.

I don't see why it needs to get all about disability or not etc. It's more about just being nice to our fellow human beings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

I would always offer my seat to a pregnant woman. Not because I think I should. But because if a pregnant lady stands on a bus, there's a chance the bus might jerk and she'll fall and injure herself or the baby. I've seen grown men injure themselves by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

40 Jesus ! I am 50 and well able to stand on my own two feet.

Yes I would give up my seat to someone I thought needed it.

Why attack somebody that would do the same as you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I don't think anyone was judging anyone who doesn't automatically get up though, it was more the posters who were coming out with all manner of excuses as to why someone wouldn't automatically get up. I don't think the OP expected anyone to get up, she was just wondering do they?

People making excuses as to why a person wouldn't get up are being entirely disingenuous IMO and rallying against a point that was never made (this "sense of entitlement"), kinda funny the lack of self-awareness in rallying against perceptions of self-entitlement though if you think about it.

I think some of the posts could be taken as being judgemental. Things along the lines of "I get up because I have manners" and so on seem to imply that if you don't get up, then you don't have manners. I think (could be wrong) that that's what people are picking up on.

Advertisement