Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving up seat for Pregnant women

Options
  • 10-03-2015 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I wanted to see if and how opinions have changed out there on the topic of giving up a seat to a Pregnant woman. I am 6 months pregnant, very obviously so as have no weight anywhere else and my bump is largely protruding! It's my 2nd child and 6 years since last pregnancy. Last time around i only occasionally struggled to get a seat on the train but this time i have only been offered a seat twice, both times by gentlemen over 40, i told both of them how kind they are, mainly so others nearby would hear and maybe share the same type manners in future. Up until a few weeks ago it didnt bother me as much having to stand but now i am getting severe back pain after 10 minutes which then takes several hours to subside. The stop i get on is 25minutes from the city centre and there is only ever standing room so I always go down the aisle for many reasons. These include, i cant be squashed at doors , hope someone will offer a seat and if someone gets off before city centre i might at least get to sit for 5 minutes. However, i have noticed some interesting things, people will see me getting on as i make eye contact while on platform but will pretend to be asleep when i appear beside them and the iphone has emerged so hardly anyone looks up. My colleagues in work ask me each morning how i got on, most are young and cant believe how little i'v been offered a sear. Some have suggested i ask people to get up but i feel its a step too far. My opinion so far is that life has just changed and people dont want to know any more, its becoming a less caring city. However, deep down i hope i'm wrong and its just my bad luck so far. What do people out there think who are commuters?

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I'd give my seat to a paragraph break first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

being pregnant is not a disability, An able bodied person should give the seat to a pregnant woman, a pregnant woman should give the seat to an elderly person.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Stop getting pregnant...sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Never offer. Unless you can see a sprog crowning the chances are it's a fat lass waiting to pounce on your mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Baby Jane

being pregnant is not a disability, An able bodied person should give the seat to a pregnant woman, a pregnant woman should give the seat to an elderly person.
    Being elderly is not a disability, and so on. :)

A heavily pregnant woman should get to sit down - it's exhausting at that stage. I am so afraid of the "fat" mix-up though. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

It's not your job or place to 'educate' the masses as to what your version of manners is. If you desperately need a seat, ask for it, otherwise just deal with it. I get a sore back from a number of things, and could really do with a seat sometimes. Should I whinge because nobody offers me their seat?

The world isn't perfect, and not everyone owes you something.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭qt3.14

If you need a seat ask. I don't see why people should have to offer. Personally I'll have my head buried in a book so won't even see you.

Baby Jane wrote: »
    Being elderly is not a disability, and so on. :)

A heavily pregnant woman should get to sit down - it's exhausting at that stage. I am so afraid of the "fat" mix-up though. :o

But it can be they could have osteoporosis or any number of conditions due to age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

If I see a person any person struggling while standing I would offer my seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

I have given up my seat to both pregnant ladies and elderly persons. 40+ now but I have always done so. On one occasion, I got up and had to walk a bit down a carriage to get the attention of a pregnant lady to offer her my seat. When I turned back, my seat had been taken by a young twat who was not for moving. I whispered sweet nothings in his ear..... he moved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

If I was a heavily pregnant lady I would have no qualms about politely asking a a young able bodied person if they'd be so kind as to give me a lend of their seat due to me having a small human inside me. Nobody is going to say no, so just ask.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I never offer potentially pregnant women a seat as I've done so and it turns out the person was just overweight and outraged

I do remember being on crutches 11 years ago and during rush hour having to stand/balance the entire way on a bus journey as there were no seats available

SO it's nothing new OP

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

But maybe the people sitting genuinely need to sit down due to something - skipping breakfast / feeling dizzy / feeling tired / aches and pains / hungover / travel sickness / getting a migraine / getting hot flushes / back or joint issue working eight hours on their feet etc. In reality, everyone has some justification for wanting to sit down and rest for 20 minutes before or after work and pregnancy isn't really more or less 'just' than any other reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I'd always thought that young people should be fit to stand and let those not fit to stand sit. I never judged them for it but I understood the other person's judgement. However, last year at the age of 19, I was waiting for blood tests to come back for arthritis and it got me thinking about this topic. As a young person, I'd be expected to leave my seat but woud anyone believe me if I said I had arthritis? I would imagine not. So now I don't like anyone giving out about some young one not giving up their seat. Yeah, the chances are they're able bodied but not all of them are.

I'd view an insistence on not offering someone who would be uncomfortable standing (whether old and frail, with crutches, heavily pregnant, not feeling well) a seat in order to show how the world is tough and all that (seems to be fashionable to lack compassion) to be needlessly petty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

bb1234567 wrote: »
    If I was a heavily pregnant lady I would have no qualms about politely asking a a young able bodied person if they'd be so kind as to give me a lend of their seat due to me having a small human inside me. Nobody is going to say no, so just ask.

Who are you to judge how able bodied someone is. They could have a hidden disability.

I'd view an insistence on not offering someone who would be uncomfortable standing (whether old and frail, with crutches, heavily pregnant, not feeling well) a seat in order to show how the world is tough and all that (seems to be fashionable to lack compassion) to be needlessly petty.

No one wants to stand for extended periods of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

I always give up my seat to the unborn child, for they do not have a seat or a voice.

In fact, I'm so caring and compassionate, I'll force the pregnant women to sit down in that seat whether she likes it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Yes, would always offer my seat to anybody that might need it more: pregnant women, elderly, a parent with a young kid in tow, people on crutches etc.

I was raised with manners Goes without saying, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Things get easier after the birth OP :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

I thought there used to be seating with a pregnant woman and elderly person sticker on that says you have to give up the seat if either needs it. Do they not do that anymore?

When I was heavily pregnant an ignorant bint actually pushed me roughly out of the way to get on the bus in front of me, I don't know why as the bus was empty, joke was on her as it wasn't actually the bus but my uncle collecting me on his way to dropping off a bus hed just repaired. He had a good few choice words for her before he told her to get the **** off the bus.

No one wants to stand for extended periods of time.
    Nobody wants to, but some people have more of a need not to.

Nobody wants to, but some people have more of a need not to.

What's the criteria for need though?

Afroshack wrote: »
    What's the criteria for need though?
    I think you know the answers.

A lot of obtoosy-woosiness on this thread! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Who are you to judge how able bodied someone is. They could have a hidden disability.

When these threads come up, I always have a secret wager to myself on when somebody will come up with the chestnut that public transport is teeming with thousands of young to middle-aged people with barely perceptible but profound disabilities that require a seat at all times.

Hmmmm you see I have on occasion offered my seat to various people (elderly, on crutches, holding small child etc) Sometimes they accept sometimes not. Offered my seat to a very big pregnant woman couple of weeks ago and she said it was more comfortable standing...so fair enough.

Personally I was pregnant twice and lived abroad both times. In Brussels with my first pregnancy on the tram, you were lucky if people let you in the door never mind offering a seat. But to be honest i never felt 'entitled' to a seat. If I had to be honest I think there is a huge entitlement mentality around having a kid these days. people think it means they should get priority everything.

So i agree with earlier posters. Pregnancy is not a disability. If you are really aggrieved and want a seat, some options:

1. Drive (if possible)
    2. Get an earlier train/Dart or whatever . This is exactly what a colleague of mine who is pregnant has started doing
    3. If neither an option, ask nicely for a seat.

The Good news? It will be all over in a few months. Then you can offer your seat to every pregnant woman in sight :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

No if you're unable to take public transport as is, get a car / a lift. Not my problem at all, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lollpop

OP, I think you've been unlucky. I don't use public transport much but when I was pregnant last year I was surprised by how nice people were to me one I had an obvious bump. People held doors for me, offered me a seat in busy cafes, asked if I wanted to skip the queue in the supermarket. I didn't expect it but definitely appreciated it.

I would always offer a seat to a pregnant woman, elderly person, person with an injury (e.g. crutches) or anyone else who looks like they need it more than me. I just think it's a fair thing to do. Wouldn't ever ask someone to give up their seat because perhaps they need it for a reason that isn't obvious.

Pregnancy isn't a disability but growing a human in your belly can be exhausting so a seat would always be appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

galljga1 wrote: »
    I have given up my seat to both pregnant ladies and elderly persons. 40+ now but I have always done so. On one occasion, I got up and had to walk a bit down a carriage to get the attention of a pregnant lady to offer her my seat. When I turned back, my seat had been taken by a young twat who was not for moving. I whispered sweet nothings in his ear..... he moved.

Brilliant! :D

Yes, of course I offer up my seat when I see another person may need it more than I do. I don't expect other people to give up their seat for me though, so all these people imagining scenarios to justify their not giving up their seat, it'd be easier to admit you just couldn't be arsed than "what if they have this, that and the other".

My body is riddled with arthritis, I'm in constant pain and some days I have to use crutches to get around. I still wouldn't mind giving up a fcuking seat to someone who I feel needs it more than I do. I'm not going to die for not giving up a seat and it's simply a mannerly gesture, something small that doesn't require much effort on my part to make someone else's life that little bit easier.

• Advertisement

I think you know the answers.

A lot of obtoosy-woosiness on this thread! :)

Well no, I don't. How do you evaluate need?

For example, if I donated blood the day before taking the train and was still very slightly woozy, but not enough to faint, does that need exceed yours? Or what if I just had a bad back but wasn't in excruciating pain? Or if someone went out the night before and was feeling sick from hungoveritis?

So what is this criteria for needing a seat?

Advertisement