Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving up seat for Pregnant women

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭thickhead

PandaPoo wrote:
    So if you noticed me on the bus, with a baby bump and crutches, you wouldn't offer me your seat?

I didn't break your leg or get you pregnant so why should I ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

thickhead wrote: »

You don't have to, it's just being nice to your fellow humans. I have to say,if you were my son I would be truly ashamed of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

well let's hope you're that consistent when it's your wife or girlfriend's turn eh!?

PandaPoo wrote:
    You don't have to, it's just being nice to your fellow humans. I have to say,if you were my son I would be truly ashamed of you.

Well you and my long dead mother have something in common then. If you where my mother I still wouldn't give you a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Yeah like people who moan online that people don't let them sit down. Everyone paid for the bus everyone should get a seat.

Your username is really appropriate. OP as you can see with the amount of similar responses in this thread to the one above, people are harder, more selfish, and infinitely less altruistic than they used to be.

I have a 75 yr old mother with an arthritic hip and she stood holding the rail while a load of 16 year olds watched on from their seats, and it isn't an isolated incident. People have no manners any more. (I blame the parents, etc etc)....but it is true, my mother would have thumped us if we didn't let someone less able bodied sit down. We learned from her and offered even when travelling without her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

Is there a difference in offering your seat to someone that is peggers vrs someone who is really fat?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

Well you and my long dead mother have something in common then. If you where my mother I still wouldn't give you a seat.

Delightful. Is there any scenario where you would give up your seat? Frail old man struggling to keep his balance?

Is there a difference in offering your seat to someone that is peggers vrs someone who is really fat?

yeah a massive one

because if a pregnant lady has what might look an innocuous fall standing on a bus; that could potentially lead to a complications for the baby or at worst a miscarriage..

Just like an elderly person could fall and seriously injure themselves..

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

You chose to get pregnant so why should other people be made feel bad that you have to stand ?.

Apt username

lawred2 wrote:
    well let's hope you're that consistent when it's your wife or girlfriend's turn eh!?

We have a three year old, I got her pregnant so I did what I had to as a father to be.

• Advertisement

PandaPoo wrote:
    Delightful. Is there any scenario where you would give up your seat? Frail old man struggling to keep his balance?

If it was my grandfather yes.

jaja321 wrote:
    Apt username

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I'll give up a seat on the tube to someone who has one of the "Baby on Board" badges on, looks pension-aged or looks like they are struggling due to injury/disability/illness. Otherwise - possession is 9/10 of the law and a seat on the Northern line in the morning is close to the definition of a miracle anyway!

Ahh, now they make sense! I was thinking of the "baby on board" badges a bit like those "baby on board" facepalm inducing car stickers. At least they make sense in the context of crowded spaces like the metro or the tube where it's every man (or indeed woman), for themselves :pac:

I wonder what they do in Japan? Has anyone here ever seen Japanese subway trains? I'm surprised they don't morph into each other they're packed that tightly! :eek:

If it was my grandfather yes.

a lof of people have grandfathers

would you want other people to ignore your grandfather if you weren't on the bus to let him sit down?

lawred2 wrote:
    would you want other people to ignore your grandfather if you weren't on the bus to let him sit down?

No but he's not there grandfather he's mine so they don't have any obligation to give him their seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

No but he's not there grandfather he's mine so they don't have any obligation to give him their seat.

But as per 'please give this seat for elderly etc' your grandfather would have an expectation of a seat

And as per the kindness of strangers many would offer your grandfather a seat.

Nice world you live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

lawred2 wrote: »
    yeah a massive one

because if a pregnant lady has what might look an innocuous fall standing on a bus; that could potentially lead to a complications for the baby or at worst a miscarriage..

Just like an elderly person could fall and seriously injure themselves..

I am not convinced nor do I think this is the reason people give up there seat.
    People give up the seat to make them feel comfortable or at least this would be my reasoning.

But is a pregnant woman more uncomfortable that a big ole fatty? Probably not, infact the big ole fatty probably has a lot more underlying health issues and is a ticking time bomb just waiting to blow a ventricle.

An elderly person is a little different they are generally more fragile and in some cases a stiff breeze might be all that is needed to help them cast off the mortal coil and take a trip on the wooden elevator..

I would give a pegnant woman my seat more so because I find pregnant women sexy... Ooops I fear I said too much :eek:

gozunda wrote:
    But as per 'please give this seat for elderly etc' your grandfather would have an expectation of a seat

gozunda wrote:
    And as per the kindness of strangers many would offer your grandfather a seat.

gozunda wrote:
    Nice world you live in.

Well that's where me and you and the rest of the sheeple differ I guess.

gozunda wrote:

And my grandfather isn't a moaning old boll** so he would not expect a seat either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

And my grandfather isn't a moaning old boll** so he would not expect a seat either way.

I guess you had to give up your seat on this thread :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

diomed wrote: »
    That cheered me up. I'm 64. :mad:

Didn't mean to offend. And fair play that you can use a computer at that age...

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

When my wife was pregnant it was about 90% men who would offer seats, usually 30+.
    There was one odd incident where a middle aged woman started loudly commenting that none of the strong young men would offer my wife a seat, while the woman was quite happily entrenched in her own seat!

I'd something similar once, both me and my friend were on the DART sitting with our backs to the standing area. For about ten minutes this woman was giving us daggers and tutting. Eventually she got up and said "Well if no one else is going to offer!" and asked a pregnant woman if she wanted a seat. I should have apologised for not having eyes on the back of my head that can see through chairs. The fact that she left it ten minutes before offering wrecked my head too.

I've offered my seat to elderly people a good few times and most of the time they laugh it off and say they're okay standing, maybe it's a pride thing.

Also, I think a lot of people (including myself) completely zone out when they're on a bus or train, listening to music/podcasts or reading that they're just not aware of anyone that might be pregnant/elderly standing on public transport.

Someone made the point about not knowing if someone sitting needs to or not, I had a really bad knee for a while and I didn't use crutches. I really needed a seat but I'm sure there were stages that people tutted at the young lad (I was about 21 at the time) taking up a seat on the train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Baby Jane

Funnily enough, as someone who suffered badly from morning sickness the first six months of my pregnancy, the early months were when I would have most appreciated a seat.

I'd have been perfectly happy and comfortable to stand on a bus/train at nine months pregnant (and I was still using public transport regularly up until then) ... but at say five months pregnant, while I had a bump, I didn't look uncomfortably large or "heavily" pregnant, but I would have been fighting nausea for the entire journey. It really helped to sit down and lean forward and close my eyes. I'd still end up getting sick anyways, but it made the difference between getting sick at the end of the journey but getting to work on time, other than having to get off at some random train station or bus stop along the way to get sick, and ending up very late for work. (It's no fun puking in train toilets - I did it countless times, but the sight of them just made me puke even more! Easier just to get off the train and use one of the plastic bags that I had to carry at all times.)

By the way, while my nausea was worse than most and lasted longer than it does for most, it was still well within what's considered normal in pregnancy.

So don't hesitate to offer a seat to someone because they only look a little bit pregnant rather than heavily pregnant. :) You just don't know what side-effects they're having, and a lot of the side-effects are worst in the early months.
    Fair point. Bad morning sickness is supposed to be like a daily, lengthy hangover. I guess I might not know she's pregnant, but would hopefully see by the look of her that she's feeling dreadfully ill, particularly if she looks like she's about to barf!

Advertisement