Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving up seat for Pregnant women

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I would always offer my seat to a pregnant woman. Not because I think I should. But because if a pregnant lady stands on a bus, there's a chance the bus might jerk and she'll fall and injure herself or the baby. I've seen grown men injure themselves by this.

Exactly especially the jerks of bus drivers jamming on the brakes at any time when stopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

I would always offer my seat to a pregnant woman. Not because I think I should. But because if a pregnant lady stands on a bus, there's a chance the bus might jerk and she'll fall and injure herself or the baby. I've seen grown men injure themselves by this.

It could be the hormones but I find it really sweet and touching that you'd think like that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Swan2012 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the comments, some interesting ones to consider!
    I dont intend to come across that i feel a sense of entitlement to a seat because if that was the case I would be asking for one every day. Its just it's very nice and kind when it does happen. I also do realise some people don't notice me due to iphones and books. The newer trains do have a picture of a pregnant lady on the window of priority seat to respond to one post but i don't want to be the one to enforce it, l'd rather the occupant give it up willingly. With regard to commuting options, suggestions given aren't an option as much as i'd like them to be.

On the upside, i only have 11 weeks to go so will continue with my human nature observations as just that. And will take the few kind gestures as 'pay it forward's'. Heres to hoping i dont go into labour on the train. 😉
    Well if you go into labour on the train you are on your own because the book readers will raise the books a bit higher, the pretend sleepers wil start to snore and the phone users will go into such a panic that they will be talking and texting at the same time. OP if I was you I would just stay at home it' s safer:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Depends...
    Did I get her pregnant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

lulu1 wrote: »
    Well if you go into labour on the train you are on your own because the book readers will raise the books a bit higher, the pretend sleepers wil start to snore and the phone users will go into such a panic that they will be talking and texting at the same time. OP if I was you I would just stay at home it' s safer:)

Placenta selfie time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

I'm pregnant op,although not as far as you. I can tell you I'd have no problem asking someone (who is not old) to move from the priority seats on Dublin bus which is reserved for elderly and pregnant people (the even have a picture of a pregnant woman on them)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

Depends...
    Did I get her pregnant?

well it wasn't me

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Just ask can you sit down. Most people will just assume that you're fat.

Don't ask the fat woman to move from the special seat, as she's probably not fat :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

YFlyer wrote: »
    Why attack somebody that would do the same as you?

What in the name of holy fùck are you jabbering about?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm pregnant op,although not as far as you. I can tell you I'd have no problem asking someone (who is not old) to move from the priority seats on Dublin bus which is reserved for elderly and pregnant people (the even have a picture of a pregnant woman on them)

Really? I always thought it was a pic of someone in a wheelchair the text says elderly or disabled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I'm 33 weeks pregnant and I'm so grateful I don't have to get public transport very often. I don't look very pregnant at all, but I get so dizzy and my pelvis and stomach ache If I stand too long. I had to sit in the bank recently because it was so very hot and I couldn't stand at the counter without swaying, the woman dealing with me (wasn't at cash counter it was a separate counter) just looked at me like I was being really weird. Even if she couldn't tell I was pregnant I felt it shouldn't matter why I needed to sit, it could've been blood pressure related, hunger, chronic pain, there was no need to make me feel bad for it!

While I would have no problem asking for a seat, because I look "fine" I feel many would think I was just asking to take advantage of the whole pregnant lady on public transport thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

i'm pregnant also/too

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Couldn't be bothered my bollix with any of it. Best I can do, if you see me on public transport and you think you have a legitimate case for my seat, I'll fight ya for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Btw I actively watch out for people who might need a seat more than me, and wouldn't think twice about asking them to take it.

The point is nobody should feel entitled to a seat over someone else. It's nice when someone offers you their seat if you need it but there is no obligation to do so. They've paid (presumably), same as you have. The expectation annoys me.

+1.
    I've given up my seat willingly many a time.
    Equally, if someone offers me their seat, I thank them gratefully and accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,152 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Stheno wrote: »
    Really? I always thought it was a pic of someone in a wheelchair the text says elderly or disabled

It does have a pic of a pregnant woman and also someone carrying a child. I was on a dublin bus for the first time in a while recently and my daughter asked what the sign meant. I think it says for 'those less able to stand'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

There should be more studies done on people and seats. They sit down, gawk, leer, gleen and stare at everybody, then as soon as someone more in need of a seat they are appears they suddenly become engrossed in carpets and 'In Case Of Emergency Break Glass' stickers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Scrap public transport and everybody buy a tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

I've been rudely asked to move before by people who thought I didn't deserve a seat. If you ask nicely I'd have no problem, but sly loud remarks assuming I'm being lazy only result in you been shown up. I would of course offer my seat to older or less able people, it's only fair but some people need to realise that not all disabilities are immediately obvious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Jesus, what happened to sheer manners?
    Were yis raised by wolves?
    If you see someone elderly, pregnant, carrying an infant/small child, with a disability, ffs give them your seat.

Here's someone who was raised right.......and she's not pregnant, its called being a gentleman
    And they call him a douche??? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Choodefat

OLD PROVERB

One should offer up one's seat
    to a lady in labour...
    Cos she first offered hers
    to do some guy a favour...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭snoopy84

offered my seat to a lady who I thought was pregnant once, she looked absolutely heartbroken. I thought I'm never making that mistake again. another time I ended up getting off the bus three stops early so i could offer my seat to a woman standing, I couldn't figure out if the woman was pregnant or overweight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

What in the name of holy fùck are you jabbering about?

He's commenting on your ignorant commenting style.

Can't imagine why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Using public transport all around Dublin with my baby in a sling I found that people were constantly offering me seats, often quite insistently. The silly thing was that the baby would wake up if I sat down so I had to stand! I'd say that the fear of mistaking fat for pregnant puts a lot of people off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

syklops wrote: »

Can't imagine why.

Ah, leave poor Tapley alone. I find some of his entries funny including this one actually. This is After Hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

syklops wrote: »

Can't imagine why.

Hello syklops, do you know the five lamps?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

When I was pregnant and needed a seat I asked for it. Never did anyone offer me one. Pregnancy isn't a disability but it can be physically debilitating. Back pain, spd, it can be tough on some women. I always give my seat to a pregnant woman or a parent trying to carry a small child. It's no hardship for me to stand and they always appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

anncoates wrote: »
    When these threads come up, I always have a secret wager to myself on when somebody will come up with the chestnut that public transport is teeming with thousands of young to middle-aged people with barely perceptible but profound disabilities that require a seat at all times.

You know for a fact that, that is not what I said. Please stop trying to be difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,641 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I well remember the back pain. When I was pregnant - some 20 years ago and more - people did offer me a seat quite often. But if they didn't - (and how would they know about my back pain?) - I would just smile at them and even ASK - "Would you mind? I've got such a back-ache..." etc and they always leapt to offer me.

Interestingly, it is quite often women who offer for you to sit down - they probably remember LOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I had a nice relatively pain free pregnancy so I rarely needed to sit down on public transport. I had a very small bump, and what with winter coats etc a lot of people wouldn't have even realised I was pregnant, so I never expected anyone to offer me a seat. On the rare occassions I had a sore back, I asked someone for a seat, and they always let me sit down no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

It depends entirely on my mood, if I'm in a good generous mood I'd happily give up my seat, if I'm in a bad mood I'd just as easily say no.

It also depends on who is asking and how I am asked: some horrible entitled scobette would get a no, a pleasant polite woman is likely to get a yes.

There's also the possibility of a pregnant / fat mix up which leaves me hesitant to offer.

Advertisement