Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

********Motors Chat - Round 8 ********

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Found passport went to polling station to discover that they have split the list we are in, into two tables

Now our electoral register address us totally different to the address so this added to the confusion

Got sent off to another table and finally got to vote

On another topic I drove the fooking honda into the city centre for work today, it acted the bollox the whole way home

Mechanic is looking at it Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Acted the bollox in what way? Worrying in a new purchase.

11150710_369810919878844_7159172687581770640_n.jpg?oh=c2d23960ab08800901d829665b6e80ad&oe=56041826&__gda__=1442523426_c14c743a6a41c8533ee081de5f348147

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

nd wrote: »
    Acted the bollox in what way? Worrying in a new purchase.

11150710_369810919878844_7159172687581770640_n.jpg?oh=c2d23960ab08800901d829665b6e80ad&oe=56041826&__gda__=1442523426_c14c743a6a41c8533ee081de5f348147

Took an age to shift from first to second, seemed to go from second to fourth as the revs dropped very low. Braked coming off the m50 revs dropped to zero despite me being at 40 mph at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

So I'm on designated driver duty tonight I don't think one person lives within 20km of the place I'll be on the road for the night. A good way to test out the megane I suppose 300km on it so far today and running perfect thank god the first long trip in a new car is always the best way to find out what it really is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Ever in that situation where you should go to bed, but too lazy to get off the couch.... lazy Friday night.

Need to get a droplink looked at in the focus tomorrow, and probably a new wiper motor, almost screams with each pass lately.

• Advertisement

Some rough night last night I have no issue with dropping drunk / tipsy people home but when you have to stop every few km to let them get sick it just becomes a complete pain. As almost all my family live 20km outside athlone on the sh!itiest back road I was doing runs in and out and going through athlone town centre by 2.30am I could see in the distance 500 plus student blocking the whole street jumping on cars luckily I turned around in time and went out the by pass. Then on my final run home I mowed a rabbit out of it as hard as I tried I couldn't avoid him I had been avoiding them all night but that road has a serious amount of them.

Seems the megane made a good taxi for the night anyway. Tbh it got to the stage where I just ragged it in and out the road so if it can put up with last night it will be the worst it will ever see with me as I'm generally not a hard driver.

Bpmull wrote: »
    Some rough night last night I have no issue with dropping drunk / tipsy people home but when you have to stop every few km to let them get sick it just becomes a complete pain. As almost all my family live 20km outside athlone on the sh!itiest back road I was doing runs in and out and going through athlone town centre by 2.30am I could see in the distance 500 plus student blocking the whole street jumping on cars luckily I turned around in time and went out the by pass. Then on my final run home I mowed a rabbit out of it as hard as I tried I couldn't avoid him I had been avoiding them all night but that road has a serious amount of them.

Seems the megane made a good taxi for the night anyway. Tbh it got to the stage where I just ragged it in and out the road so if it can put up with last night it will be the worst it will ever see with me as I'm generally not a hard driver.

You let drunken pukey people into your new wagon?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

OSI wrote: »
    3730153044.png

Oh... think mine would be a fail. The light is very direct. Might try turn around the bulbs.

I thought this too!

Well I had agreed to bring them home and the person that got sick wasn't sick before we left for home just very drunk I didn't think they would actually get sick. Kind of har just to fcuk family on the street and leave them stranded and they live so far out a taxi would cost Id say 50 quid plus. Ah no harm no foul no sick in the car a bit on the sill that I have since cleaned. I'm back home in kilkenny now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

Met a lunatic this morn on the m6, driving a daysul accord, both behind an car doing well under the limit refusing to move over. Then when they moved we both accelerated off and I waited at a safe distance for said accord owner to move over as I was up to that point moving at a fair rate but nothing crazy.

As I past he floored it and I pulled in behind and left him at it. He slows down and I overtake him not adjusting my own speed. He quickly overtake again but cuts in against me almost taking my front wing with him! Gives me the finger and drives off??? At no point was I tailgating or anything. I think he though we were racing or something. I need to get a dashcam to record these kind of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

Was behind Phillip Bourke E39 M5 earlier serious noise off it its class would love one! Also passed a sneaky speed trap on way home from Waterford. Top of the hill just outside dungarvan where the limit drops to 60 for a tiny bit and they were there. No body does 60km there like no need either really. Had been warned tho by a nice motorist!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Gavman84 wrote: »
    Was behind Phillip Bourke E39 M5 earlier serious noise off it its class would love one! Also passed a sneaky speed trap on way home from Waterford. Top of the hill just outside dungarvan where the limit drops to 60 for a tiny bit and they were there. No body does 60km there like no need either really. Had been warned tho by a nice motorist!

Oh that speed trap grinds my gears, it's so easy to do more than 60. It's grand when you know to look for it but it'd be so easy to be caught. I always give the warning flash to oncoming traffic for a couple of miles.

The crash repair garage rang my mother to say the passenger front door was unsalvageable badly bent and hinge and some of the frame is warped on the inside. So it's turning into a big job. They said they will have it done by next week as she is going on holidays next weekend and wants the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

If the subframe is warped the door is a write off, could react badly in a crash

Better off being inconvienienced for a week than risking safety

If the subframe is warped the door is a write off, could react badly in a crash

Better off being inconvienienced for a week than risking safety

Sorry meant to say it's getting a new front door they said it is unrepairable and patching up what's there would look rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Changed the timing belt today. It was last done 70k ago by a tipex merchant.. Very little tension on it. Tensioner was rotten. Timing between the cams was out as was the timing between the crank and the cams, out by a tooth. The whole ignition system was drowned in oil. Reckon ill have about 10 hp more on monday. Just need to fit the new rocker gasket, ac compressor. Really good compression after getting the timing sorted so happy out with it.

Interslice wrote: »
    Changed the timing belt today. It was last done 70k ago by a tipex merchant.. Very little tension on it. Tensioner was rotten. Timing between the cams was out as was the timing between the crank and the cams, out by a tooth. The whole ignition system was drowned in oil. Reckon ill have about 10 hp more on monday. Just need to fit the new rocker gasket, ac compressor. Really good compression after getting the timing sorted so happy out with it.

That car will be mechanically perfect by the time your finished that's the way I like my cars :) I could live with a few on the body wouldn't particularily bother me but even the smallest mechanical problems Id have to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Bpmull wrote: »
    That caly perfect by the time your finished that's the way I like my cars :) I could live with a few on the body wouldn't particularily bother me but even the smallest mechanical problems Id have to fix.

same here man. I do loose sleep over mechanical problems but the bodywork is always on the long finger. Saying that myself and a friend are getting a da poliher tomorrow. He bought an 02 147 today. On 35k miles on it. We spent a good hour pointing at stuuf that looks brand new. It looks like it was garaged all its life. Essentially he got a 3 year old well specced car for 750 quid!

Interslice wrote: »
    same here man. I do loose sleep over mechanical problems but the bodywork is always on the long finger. Saying that myself and a friend are getting a da poliher tomorrow. He bought an 02 147 today. On 35k miles on it. We spent a good hour pointing at stuuf that looks brand new. It looks like it was garaged all its life. Essentially he got a 3 year old well specced car for 750 quid!

35k miles that nothing :eek: it's great finding car like that :)

• Advertisement

On my way home from work yesterday a van In front of me decided to stop dead on the road for no reason from about 105kmh. It meant I got to test out the brakes stops very well even got the dramatic automatic hazard flashing under emergency braking as renault call it and they didn't flash once either. I always wonder in situations like that, that if I had had really sh!tty or badly worn tyres would I have been able to stop in time.

Just to note I wasn't driving that close to him but it was coming around a long bend and he stopped very hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Have had to get 3 tyres fixed in the last week :( couldn't understand why the left rear tyre kept getting flat and it turns out someone likes to put nails in them :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

What would be the best H4 bulbs to get?

Are Philips H4 X-Treme Vision +130% bulbs any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Pov06 wrote: »
    What would be the best H4 bulbs to get?

Are Philips H4 X-Treme Vision +130% bulbs any good?

Osram Nightbreakers, Philips are Oem type yellow light

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Anyone on here gone to the Limerick Classic Car Show before?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,412 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Osram Nightbreakers, Philips are Oem type yellow light

Nightbreaker unlimited are the job.

5QhOUY.jpg

The NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED sets new standards in terms of performance. Up to 110 % more brightness, a light cone up to 40 meters longer and 20 % whiter light compared to standard halogen lamps – the perfect precondition for safe and fatigue-free driving. Because of their improved features, NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED headlamps ensure improved visibility and significantly better response times. For all car drivers wanting to show their fists to darkness.

Up to 110 % more light on the road (compared to standard halogen lamps) for fatigue-free and comfortable driving
    A light cone up to 40 meters longer (compared to standard halogen lamps) for better visibility and significantly longer response times
    Up to 20 % whiter light (compared to standard halogen lamps) via partial cobalt coating of the glass bod
    More efficient generation of light thanks to optimized noble filler gas formula
    Higher resistance due to robust filament design
    Eye-catching design with partial blue coating and silver dome
    The most powerful OSRAM halogen automotive lamp

One thing my car is missing is owner manual, radio guide, quick start guide and folder for the stuff that goes into it. I have found one on ebay that would be exactly right for the car even has 2011 print date it's missing the service record book but I have the history from the renault garage anyway which is almost better than stamps in a book anyway. But what should I be looking at paying. This one is working out at 50 all in with postage not sure whether or not I'm being ripped of could I get one cheaper in a breakers or would they even sell them plus megane 3 there wouldn't too many being broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Is the new MX-5 for sale here yet? Almost 100% sure I saw one in Ballincollig yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Is the new MX-5 for sale here yet? Almost 100% sure I saw one in Ballincollig yesterday.

2016 AFAIK, dying for a test drive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

The MK3 was definitely a step away from the old formula so I'd be really interested to see how the MK4 fares, ticks all the right boxes imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement