Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

********Motors Chat - Round 8 ********

Options
  • 16-05-2013 1:02pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Continuation from motors chat round 7

1.This thread is for motoring topics which you feel are not worthy of starting a new thread for, banter from a meet or general motoring related chit chat.

2.No lonely hearts (This is not a personal dig at anyone, it's how we feel is the best way to describe what we want to avoid. )

3.Keep it clean.

4.The Motors charter applies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Bpmull wrote: »
    Not so bad so. Compared to what you've done with the Saabs it's probably handy enough. 11 euro an hour is good going. Id say your one of a very few halfords employees that actually has a decent knowledge of cars the ones in kilkenny don't seem to have a clue. I've seen them making some very rough attempts at changing car bulbs before.

I guess i'm of some use seeing as i got the job! yeah there's one or two here that have no idea what to do, each car is a headlight out job to them :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

I thought this was a rather fitting picture after my experience on Friday :pac:

E1B2D40D-EF64-439C-9607-041CED109EFD_zpsentu5jw5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Whaaaaaaaat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Bpmull wrote: »
    Not so bad so. Compared to what you've done with the Saabs it's probably handy enough. 11 euro an hour is good going. Id say your one of a very few halfords employees that actually has a decent knowledge of cars the ones in kilkenny don't seem to have a clue. I've seen them making some very rough attempts at changing car bulbs before.

They don't know their tools either. The look I got when I asked had they pickle forks in stock :P

dorgasm wrote: »
    They don't know their tools either. The look I got when I asked had they pickle forks in stock :P

:pac: toastedpickles own brand cutlery :P

• Advertisement

Haha i was just like eh lads....customers?

A 9-5 came in the other day, i got a tip of 20 quid for just talking crap about them for 10 minutes haha, i was let go in the garage bp, I'm a professional bulb fitter in halfords now :pac: its pays rather well actually 11 euro an hour :D

Thats a great wage in fairness. Better than what I'm on. I'd nearly consider applying myself but you know...the general public. No thanks :pac:

Thats a great wage in fairness. Better than what I'm on. I'd nearly consider applying myself but you know...the general public. No thanks :pac:

Aw man I'm only there 3 weeks and i could tell you some stories haha, One lad today for instance wanted to change his bulbs, so i go yep its a h7 and its your dipped light, looking at the lights, seeing it was the dipped that was blown, oh no thats the full beam, what would you know sure you only work in a shop!

The urge to flatten the cnut was strong

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Aw man I'm only there 3 weeks and i could tell you some stories haha, One lad today for instance wanted to change his bulbs, so i go yep its a h7 and its your dipped light, looking at the lights, seeing it was the dipped that was blown, oh no thats the full beam, what would you know sure you only work in a shop!

The urge to flatten the cnut was strong

Says the lad paying someone else to change his bulbs.... :pac:

Says the lad paying someone else to change his bulbs.... :pac:

Yep! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Haha i was just like eh lads....customers?

A 9-5 came in the other day, i got a tip of 20 quid for just talking crap about them for 10 minutes haha, i was let go in the garage bp, I'm a professional bulb fitter in halfords now :pac: its pays rather well actually 11 euro an hour :D

Do you change battery as well?
    I want to get a halfords chap to change the battery in the gtv, just so i can stand there and laugh:pac:

• Advertisement

I want to get a halfords chap to change the battery in the gtv, just so i can stand there and laugh:pac:

Yeah we do actually :) and if anything I'd be laughing at you for coming to get it done ;)

Yeah we do actually :) and if anything I'd be laughing at you for coming to get it done ;)

kelso-burn.jpg

Do you know where its located:P

Do you know where its located:P

In the boot on the left is it not?

In the boot on the left is it not?

its behind this chaps knees, once you remove about 10 carpet securing clips. Then theres the bracket you've to take off that will make you curse Alfas and then you've to try wiggle it out. Its great fun altogether and something Id gladly pay someone else to do while I watch:pac:

15-4-800.jpg

its behind this chaps knees, once you remove about 10 carpet securing clips. Then theres the bracket you've to take off that will make you curse Alfas and then you've to try wiggle it out. Its great fun altogether and something Id gladly pay someone else to do while I watch:pac

Yeah i'd give it a good go anyways! besides each fit i do i get paid more so for batteries i get like an extra 20/30 euro on top of whatever i get paid so the joke is still on you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

its behind this chaps knees, once you remove about 10 carpet securing clips. Then theres the bracket you've to take off that will make you curse Alfas and then you've to try wiggle it out. Its great fun altogether and something Id gladly pay someone else to do while I watch:pac:

The way they designed the suspension in that I'm surprised it's not in the rear light or something :pac:

Yeah i'd give it a good go anyways! besides each fit i do i get paid more so for batteries i get like an extra 20/30 euro on top of whatever i get paid so the joke is still on you :pac:

Yeah....except when you hook the battery back up, you get a key code fault if you don't do it right:eek:
    So then the car doesn't start. Its great crack

Yeah....except when you hook the battery back up, you get a key code fault if you don't do it right:eek:
    So then the car doesn't start. Its great crack

Mental note made to run away from them if one ever comes in

Mental note made to run away from them if one ever comes in

Good call, let someone else do it. its such a horrible place to put the battery.
    Doing a battery change on most cars is a case of disconnect battery reconnect new battery. With this you've to pop the bonnet, scratch your head as to the location, ask the owner, he shrugs his shoulders, check the boot, think nope where the **** is it, eventually pull back carpet and think feck. Then use about 50 different curse words as you yank the heavy bstard of a thing out. and then you've to put it all back together again.
    Id be in stitches

• Advertisement

Good call, let someone else do it. its such a horrible place to put the battery.
    Doing a battery change on most cars is a case of disconnect battery reconnect new battery. With this you've to pop the bonnet, scratch your head as to the location, ask the owner, he shrugs his shoulders, check the boot, think nope where the **** is it, eventually pull back carpet and think feck. Then use about 50 different curse words as you yank the heavy bstard of a thing out. and then you've to put it all back together again.
    Id be in stitches

Yeah fcuk that :pac:

However we have a mechanic who worked for fiat so he might know! :pac:

No idea if they change batteries

AFAIK they've got a rating system for the bulbs.... if they're too difficult to fit they just refuse to do it. Can't see them winding up in a sticky situation

No idea if they change batteries

AFAIK they've got a rating system for the bulbs.... if they're too difficult to fit they just refuse to do it. Can't see them winding up in a sticky situation

Yeah we do, as for the bulbs we have a thing like that but 9/10 if you just think about it before you jump in at it you can manage it, except for the renault modus, those things can fcuk right off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Yeah we do, as for the bulbs we have a thing like that but 9/10 if you just think about it before you jump in at it you can manage it, except for the renault modus, those things can fcuk right off
    :eek:

Fucking hell

Cheensbo wrote: »
    :eek:

Fucking hell

Exaaactly, not a hope in hell, its more to do with the time it takes than anything :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Think the 05 onwards astra requires the front grille to come off to change a bulb. The local tyre centre boyos were having a great oul time trying to figure out how to get a bulb out, and they concluded that the grille needed to come off. Didn'r get to see the end result.

Think the 05 onwards astra requires the front grille to come off to change a bulb. The local tyre centre boyos were having a great oul time trying to figure out how to get a bulb out, and they concluded that the grille needed to come off. Didn'r get to see the end result.

Turn the steering to full lock and theres a little cover up in the wheel arch, open that, take off the housing cover turn the bulb out and there you go ;)

Be careful if anything newer than an e46 comes at you for a new battery... they need to be coded in :pac:

Be careful if anything newer than an e46 comes at you for a new battery... they need to be coded in :pac:

I know ;) we can do that too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

http://youtu.be/B7Krv8Gw_DQ

Volvos are fun too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement