Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

********Motors Chat - Round 8 ********

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Interslice wrote: »
    Ye the hand brake does the job alright. Thought you had an electric one, forgot to ask you about that earlier.

I think the top spec one does mine is the spec below it. All I'll say is I won't ever leave the handbrake on when you pull it up you get the normal warning light, you get a beeping noise and the whole trip computer screen turn bright red and reads handbrake on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

YbFocus wrote: »
    Its quite amazing alright, happens a good bit!
    The dc2 and the ae are iconic and its mad how they don't attract more!
    Could be the time of the day though!

Might pic up for the japs later. Should have taken bets :D. Bazz is an old poster too so maybe that influences the amount of thanks a car gets.

I still cant believe how clean the toyota is!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Sure it's 7 AM in Tokyo right now :pac:

Bpmull wrote: »
    I think the top spec one does mine is the spec below it. All I'll say is I won't ever leave the handbrake on when you pull it up you get the normal warning light, you get a beeping noise and the whole trip computer screen turn bright red and reads handbrake on.

The traction control light does that too with a big skidding car symbol. Scared the **** out of me at 110km/hr one day. First time seeing it. **** tyres on a slippy wet road!

The one thing I find annoying about the screen on the laguna is you have to cycle the menu to get to the mileage and then the trip. It should have them there permanently and you just cycle through the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

The traction control light does that too with a big skidding car symbol. Scared the **** out of me at 110km/hr one day. First time seeing it. **** tyres on a slippy wet road!

viewFile.html?i=55442

• Advertisement

Completely unrelated but A relation has/ had a 132 mini on Pcp a few ago she went into get it serviced wasn't massive mileage on the car very good nick still a practically new car as you would expect. Anyway it got its basic service garage told her it needed a set of pads which at bmw prices wouldn't be cheap and then 4 tyres. So rather than give them the money to do the work which she probably didn't have she bought a new one :eek:

Pcp has things ruined I think, I know so many people who actually couldn't afford any kind of a decent cheap secondhand car going around in new cars because Pcp 300 euro a month I really just don't get it at all.

viewFile.html?i=55442

She's the 110hp 1.5 dci lad ;).

The power out of it is actually quite spiky so the traction control used to come on a good bit last winter before he got new tyres. Only once in 5th gear though!

She's the 110hp 1.5 dci lad ;).

The power out of it is actually quite spiky so the traction control used to come on a good bit last winter before he got new tyres. Only once in 5th gear though!

The torque will catch out bad tyres on a wet road alright I'd say.
    I have Hankook Ventus V12's on the back of mine currently, you really gotta try to make them break traction.

Which of course is no fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

All Torque lad

I have Hankook Ventus V12's on the back of mine currently, you really gotta try to make them break traction.

Depending on situation.

• Advertisement

GvidoR wrote: »
    Depending on situation.

Once the grip on the front is ok I'll survive :p

You should get a set of kingstar great yokes altogether there is one thing gauranteed with them that at no matter how slow your going or how small the puddle of water is if you hit it with them your going Aqua plaining. After my experience with them on that loaner I really struggle to understand how people come on this forum and say the chinese sh!t is just as good as branded tyres. To me the tyres completly ruined that car as in wet conditions you had to concentrate way too much just to keep it out of the ditches.

Ye it really needs a half decent set of tyres on it to be anyway nice to drive. It has no power low down, only 1450cc or something, and all of sudden you have 110 hp. I'd say it goes from 40hp at 1000rpm to 100 at 2000.

Same with the potenza adrenilins I have. You'd be really going out of your way to get any scrubbing even. I'm hoping they'll longer last because of this :confused:.

Ye it really needs a half decent set of tyres on it to be anyway nice to drive. It has no power low down, only 1450cc or something, and all of sudden you have 110 hp. I'd say it goes from 40hp at 1000rpm to 100 at 2000.

Same with the potenza adrenilins I have. You'd be really going out of your way to get any scrubbing even. I'm hoping they'll longer last because of this :confused:.

Sadly the good grip means less life overall.
    A softer compound generates more grip but sheds much quicker!

BP, when I say lesser tyres I mean a set of sunny's or something, not a set of great tyres like kingstars! We don't all have your money!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Recently I've been toying with the idea of making some sort of motor related house furniture, as the summer is here and id have a bit of time on my hands the days I'm off work ect. Thinking about a coffee table of some sort. Ive access to all the power tools and garage ect.

Seen http://www.therealeasterbunny.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/carltons/coffeetable/ .. top idea..

But then looking at this...

http://www.rugsandblinds.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Coffee-Table6.jpg

Now the problem I see with the BBS coffee table is (A) There isn't really any support around the rim of the glass. So I see this creating a problem when lifting it. (B) I imagine it to be a little small.

Anyone with advice???

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I'm going through a set of eagle f1's on the rear of mine every year :rolleyes:

What's a cheaper alternative that will provide as excellent a grip as they do?

Sadly the good grip means less life overall.
    A softer compound generates more grip but sheds much quicker!

Crap. It was a good excuse to throw it through roundabouts :). I'd definetely recomend them tyres though. I couldn't even spin the wheels in first on a wet hill start and was trying too! Sorted the timing and ignition out this weekend so I'll try again when its put back together tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Vredistein ultracs aren't bad atall

I found Kumho Ecsta Supra's to be very very good in the wet or dry MM!

job seeker wrote: »
    Anyone with advice???

I don't know, I kinda prefer the first example.

This would be better though. :)

v8coffeetable.jpg

• Advertisement

job seeker wrote: »
    Recently I've been toying with the idea of making some sort of motor related house furniture, as the summer is here and id have a bit of time on my hands the days I'm off work ect. Thinking about a coffee table of some sort. Ive access to all the power tools and garage ect.

Seen http://www.therealeasterbunny.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/carltons/coffeetable/ .. top idea..

But then looking at this...

http://www.rugsandblinds.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Coffee-Table6.jpg

Now the problem I see with the BBS coffee table is (A) There isn't really any support around the rim of the glass. So I see this creating a problem when lifting it. (B) I imagine it to be a little small.

Anyone with advice???

You could use more wheels to make a bigger table. If you put one on top of the other and got them tig welded together it would make it higher too. Tig welding it would be nice and neat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

So i may be buying one of these to commute to work.

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/apollo-feud-mens-mountain-bike

or this

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes-and-classic-bikes/apollo-mentor-mens-hybrid-bike

how important is front suspension anyway on one of these ? do without it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

I don't know, I kinda prefer the first example.

This would be better though. :)

v8coffeetable.jpg

I did like that too.. But I'd imagine you'd need some sort of support around the rim of the glass...

I had the Kumho Ecsta SPT's on the MPS and found them very good too.

They Vredesteins aren't much cheaper!

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/apollo-feud-mens-mountain-bike

or this

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes-and-classic-bikes/apollo-mentor-mens-hybrid-bike

Better off getting a good quality trek or giant bike off DD for 200 and leaving it in for a service somewhere. Them cheap bikes are generally ****e. You'd be better off without the shocks on them.

I had the Kumho Ecsta SPT's on the MPS and found them very good too.

They Vredesteins aren't much cheaper!

The Kumho's are excellent for the money, provide 90% of the grip for around 50% of the price!

or this

I thought this was a motors forum. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

@MetzgerMeister, I am 99% sure your old Mazda belongs to my mate's neighbours now, I saw it today and wondered

@MetzgerMeister, I am 99% sure your old Mazda belongs to my mate's neighbours now, I saw it today and wondered

The MPS (07-LH-5514) or RX8 (04-C-22849)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Better off getting a good quality trek or giant bike off DD for 200 and leaving it in for a service somewhere. Them cheap bikes are generally ****e. You'd be better off without the shocks on them.

I would agree with you there indeed, except its only to get into the swing of things starting off, so a cheapy one that i can mess around with and get used to just to try commute to work. (poxy bus and car drivers etc all over the place trying to run us cyclists over :pac:)
    I thought this was a motors forum. :P

I'll be the worst representative for the motors forum. a bus driver that cycles and hates everyone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement