Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

********Motors Chat - Round 8 ********

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,412 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

GvidoR wrote: »
    So I got under the Astra, ready to change the oil, but then I was greeted with this sump plug.

Okay then... not today...

os-055-sump-plug_i80566.jpg

Pretty sure those drain plugs need changing pretty regularly too

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

YbFocus wrote: »
    Oh dear god.... whats up?
    See below
    bear1 wrote: »
    Have you accidentaly taken my car?
    Was your last address in Sligo?
    pred racer wrote: »
    Should've bought an Alfa :p:pac:
    At least I'd have bought it making a list of what needed to be done!
    Bpmull wrote: »
    Was pulling out of a carpark this evening had the window down heard this terrible loud grinding noise queue the oanick attack and terror as I thought it was my engine turns out it was the barrier closing down behind me :)

@stheno hopefully it's only something small wrong with the car.

So I've one minor issue in that the drivers window doesn't always open when you hit the button, today on my trek to the arse end of Cavan, I'd to hit it up to six times before it would open, including at the shagging toll, but in all fairness, that's a relatively straight forward fix of the motor/regulator I'd imagine, all the other windows are perfect.

There appears to be a problem with the autobox, and worse still, it's intermittent.

Bear with me while I describe it.

So yesterday, driving it home, as it moved up and down gears particularly up, there was a tipping point where the car would hit the gear, stall slightly then engage.

Took it out last night for a drive to Naul and back, then to Howth, and it was fine, no problems at all.

Drove up to Cavan today, and the last 15 miles or so are literally one s bend after another (anyone know the road to Killashandra?) and it was a delight, really good handling, I was looking forward to the drive home.

Got into the car after I was finished work, and by the time I'd driven those 15 miles to get back to Cavan, I was literally shaking.

The car felt like it was constantly going out of gear, at one point going around a bend I rolled around it, it felt like I'd no control. I'd to constantly brarke to control the car, then when trying to speed up it took an age to move up the gears and get a bit of speed up.

After I got to Cavan and was on "normal" roads, it was very sluggish to move up, I'd say a few times it took almost half a minute to get up to 60 mph, with numerous noticeable shifts taking a second or two.

It was most unpleasant.

Got home, and it's Thursday, the OH and I always go out to one of our locals for dinner on a Thursday.

Drove perfect on the way out, on the way back it was the same stuttery, jerky drive.

I'm gonna give it to my mechanic for a day and ask him to drive it for a few times, to see what he thinks before I go back to where I bought it from.

When I test drove it, the engine management light was on, and I checked with my mechanic about it as it was slightly shuddery, he said coil pack or oil sensor, garage said it was the oil sensor. It's been fully serviced, and just ncted but given that this is not happening all the time, I can see how it could be fine at a given date and time.

Just slightly pissed off.

And feeling cursed, it was horrible today on those very bendy roads not being confident in the car, and not knowing why it was behaving as it was

I'm hoping its just needing a change of the transmission fluid which is a very specific Honda transmission fluid and that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Stheno wrote: »

Was your last address in Sligo?

So I've one minor issue in that the drivers window doesn't always open when you hit the button, today on my trek to the arse end of Cavan, I'd to hit it up to six times before it would open, including at the shagging toll, but in all fairness, that's a relatively straight forward fix of the motor/regulator I'd imagine, all the other windows are perfect.

There appears to be a problem with the autobox, and worse still, it's intermittent.

Bear with me while I describe it.

So yesterday, driving it home, as it moved up and down gears particularly up, there was a tipping point where the car would hit the gear, stall slightly then engage.

Took it out last night for a drive to Naul and back, then to Howth, and it was fine, no problems at all.

Drove up to Cavan today, and the last 15 miles or so are literally one s bend after another (anyone know the road to Killashandra?) and it was a delight, really good handling, I was looking forward to the drive home.

Got into the car after I was finished work, and by the time I'd driven those 15 miles to get back to Cavan, I was literally shaking.

The car felt like it was constantly going out of gear, at one point going around a bend I rolled around it, it felt like I'd no control. I'd to constantly brarke to control the car, then when trying to speed up it took an age to move up the gears and get a bit of speed up.

After I got to Cavan and was on "normal" roads, it was very sluggish to move up, I'd say a few times it took almost half a minute to get up to 60 mph, with numerous noticeable shifts taking a second or two.

It was most unpleasant.

Got home, and it's Thursday, the OH and I always go out to one of our locals for dinner on a Thursday.

Drove perfect on the way out, on the way back it was the same stuttery, jerky drive.

I'm gonna give it to my mechanic for a day and ask him to drive it for a few times, to see what he thinks before I go back to where I bought it from.

When I test drove it, the engine management light was on, and I checked with my mechanic about it as it was slightly shuddery, he said coil pack or oil sensor, garage said it was the oil sensor. It's been fully serviced, and just ncted but given that this is not happening all the time, I can see how it could be fine at a given date and time.

Just slightly pissed off.

And feeling cursed, it was horrible today on those very bendy roads not being confident in the car, and not knowing why it was behaving as it was

I'm hoping its just needing a change of the transmission fluid which is a very specific Honda transmission fluid and that's it.

Loughrea I'm afraid and unfortunately I still have my Honda...

Try changing the fluid first as that would be the cheapest item first.
    I've seen this sort of issue happen with auto boxes and after a fluid change they were right as rain.
    Failing that I'd possibly get a diagnostics done and see if there is anything showing up that the car isn't telling you.
    Another thing which comes to mind, could your MAF be failing?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

166man wrote: »
    Somebody please talk me out of wanting a Reliant Robin..... I think I might get one as my next car if I can, keep looking at them in done deal... Such cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

That makes me want one even more though.... I'd probably put stabilisers on mine if I got one...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

You're absurdly mad to roll a car, don't be lying to everyone.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

bear1 wrote: »
    Loughrea I'm afraid and unfortunately I still have my Honda...

Try changing the fluid first as that would be the cheapest item first.
    I've seen this sort of issue happen with auto boxes and after a fluid change they were right as rain.
    Failing that I'd possibly get a diagnostics done and see if there is anything showing up that the car isn't telling you.
    Another thing which comes to mind, could your MAF be failing?

Yeah what I'm going to do first is give the car to my mechanic for a day or more and ask him to use it as his car for the day, so I can get some validation it's happening, the OH is about as useful as a chocolate teapot when it comes to getting him to notice such things.

Then if my mechanic agrees there is an issue, I'll go back to the crowd I bought it from who in fairness are nice people to deal with, and ask them to do the same to diagnose it.

I'm hoping it is the transmission fliud, they said the oil when they changed it was manky so hopefully that's it.

When it's behaving, it's a beautiful car to drive, I've driven the same route before in the Merc, and today on the way up, I just loved how different it felt.

I got a three month warranty with the car from the garage, and stupidly I feel a bit guilty going back as if this is a big issue it could cost them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Yeah what I'm going to do first is give the car to my mechanic for a day or more and ask him to use it as his car for the day, so I can get some validation it's happening, the OH is about as useful as a chocolate teapot when it comes to getting him to notice such things.

Then if my mechanic agrees there is an issue, I'll go back to the crowd I bought it from who in fairness are nice people to deal with, and ask them to do the same to diagnose it.

I'm hoping it is the transmission fliud, they said the oil when they changed it was manky so hopefully that's it.

When it's behaving, it's a beautiful car to drive, I've driven the same route before in the Merc, and today on the way up, I just loved how different it felt.

I got a three month warranty with the car from the garage, and stupidly I feel a bit guilty going back as if this is a big issue it could cost them

Don't feel guilty - if its going to cost them - that's part of THEIR risk they take when selling a used car with warranty.

Hope it all gets sorted quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Pretty sure those drain plugs need changing pretty regularly too

Why did Vauxhall have to be so awkward and use that kind of plugs? :confused:

Anyway, it shouldn't worry me so much since it will most likely be my first and last oil change for it.

Old diesel wrote: »

Don't feel guilty - if its going to cost them - that's part of THEIR risk they take when selling a used car with warranty.

Hope it all gets sorted quickly

I hate complaining or pointing out issues I realise it's necessary but I just hate making a fuss, if the people I work with knew that they would die laughing :D

I get your reasoning and I know it's right and the reason why I'm giving the car to my mechanic for a day or three is because I know he'll notice a problem, and he'll kick me up the ass to deal with it, so I have a bit of backup going back to the garage.

Worst case scenario here is replacing the autobox, that's pretty much the cost of the car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I hate complaining or pointing out issues I realise it's necessary but I just hate making a fuss, if the people I work with knew that they would die laughing :D

I get your reasoning and I know it's right and the reason why I'm giving the car to my mechanic for a day or three is because I know he'll notice a problem, and he'll kick me up the ass to deal with it, so I have a bit of backup going back to the garage.

Worst case scenario here is replacing the autobox, that's pretty much the cost of the car

Were you not the one telling BP to go in strong and complain to his garage when they messed up.....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Were you not the one telling BP to go in strong and complain to his garage when they messed up.....;)

My car went from having no keys to 3 keys :) no harm to have a few spares I suppose :) tbh I would be like that either to a certain extend I wouldn't be particularily into going back with warranty issues but if it is a gearbox that's clearly covered under warranty so it's there own fault for not spotting the fault when they took it in. Anyway stheno hopefully it will only need transmission oil change start with that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Coming home from school there about 45 mins ago, and both spot lights bulbs went, along with a headlight bulb. Whut?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Coming home from school there about 45 mins ago, and both spot lights bulbs went, along with a headlight bulb. Whut?

You're still in school:eek:

You're still in school:eek:

He's a teacher afaik. Very late to be finishing work in a school though.

Motors related, I think I've a dodgy wheel bearing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Those where dark days and I eh suppose... It was a dark night too?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Motors related, I think I've a dodgy wheel bearing :(

Ugh...hate that noise but check the tyre wear indicators. Some tyres make a similar noise when they're low.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

You're still in school

Leaving Cert graduation this evening at 7. Finished before 4, home just before 5. Bite to eat. Left again just before 6, there at 7. Left school at around 10ish. Ate-ing road today so I was. Tomorrow's friday though, just one more week and Summer :D

Ya but I'll be poor after replacing these bulbs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Try the electrics all cutting out randomly for no reason, at any time. That was lethal at night; no lights, wipers, radio :eek: car wouldn't even turn off! Thank you France! :mad:

All long cured but it took some hunting to root out the cause. Took the fun out of it

Ugh...hate that noise but check the tyre wear indicators. Some tyres make a similar noise when they're low.

That could be it actually. Only had a look at the front two tyres the other day and noticed they're due to be replaced.

• Advertisement

Leaving Cert graduation this evening at 7. Finished before 4, home just before 5. Bite to eat. Left again just before 6, there at 7. Left school at around 10ish. Ate-ing road today so I was. Tomorrow's friday though, just one more week and Summer :D

Ya but I'll be poor after replacing these bulbs!

Ah grads night. Fantastic stuff. Our ceremony was at lunch time I think. Whole day/night of boozin afterwards. One of the best sessions I ever had.

Brother Goodman just text me there. He accidentally flattened two fox cubs on the M20 :( He's feeling very guilty

So I've one minor issue in that the drivers window doesn't always open when you hit the button, today on my trek to the arse end of Cavan, I'd to hit it up to six times before it would open, including at the shagging toll, but in all fairness, that's a relatively straight forward fix of the motor/regulator I'd imagine, all the other windows are perfect..

Switch or wiring to motor from switch imo, might be damaged wire where the cbales passthrough the door jam area :)

................I'm hoping its just needing a change of the transmission fluid which is a very specific Honda transmission fluid and that's it.

Might not be the autobox at all, if it is I doubt a transmission fluid change would sort it and I'd be less than happy peace of mind wise if it did as damage may be done which won't surface for another few thousand miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

indeed, id want full diagnostics and whatever was needed done to it and no short cuts. Would never feel confident driving an automatic with a dud gearbox

Ah yeah first things first is getting my mechanic to check it for me, not gonna get him to do anything, just validate that there is something up

hopefully something simple. also if there is something wrong with it and your mechanic and the dealer both reach the same conclusion as to the issue that would be a bonus ,piece of mind sense of the way.

Quiet enough roads out there today, happy we are not getting bombarded with stupid Yes/No campaign here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Quiet enough roads out there today, happy we are not getting bombarded with stupid Yes/No campaign here.

Not going to argue on it at this stage, but the part in bold isn't fair. If the issue affected you, you wouldn't call it a stupid campaign.

dorgasm wrote: »
    Not going to argue on it at this stage, but the part in bold isn't fair. If the issue affected you, you wouldn't call it a stupid campaign.

oh, I see how that could be read now, Stupid maybe the wrong word. You dont need to argue anything as I am not referring to the subject matter and have no issue with it myself, I am just saying as a campaign it is relentless and in your face.

all campaigns strive to be relentless and in your face. Best way to get a message accross to the masses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

oh, I see how that could be read now, Stupid maybe the wrong word. You dont need to argue anything as I am not referring to the subject matter and have no issue with it myself, I am just saying as a campaign it is relentless and in your face.
    all campaigns strive to be relentless and in your face. Best way to get a message accross to the masses

Fair enough. Can't argue with how relentless it's been but I can see why they've been like that. I know I'd be the same if it was a big issue that directly affected me.

Agreed power pants. I must say, all the noise from the Yes side especially seems to have spurred a lot of younger people to vote, even if they mightn't have bothered otherwise. I know that among my own friends, there's going to be a massive increase in attendance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement