Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

********Motors Chat - Round 8 ********

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

GvidoR wrote: »
    I thought this was a motors forum. :P

I wouldn't want to go on the cycling forum either!!

This would be 100 times better than that apollo mr lime. 21 inch frame is good if your over 6 foot.
    http://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/trek-mountain-bike/9486775?offset=5

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

The MPS (07-LH-5514) or RX8 (04-C-22849)?

The MPS, its def 07 LH anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Interslice wrote: »
    I wouldn't want to go on the cycling forum either!!

This would be 100 times better than that apollo mr lime. 21 inch frame is good if your over 6 foot.
    http://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/trek-mountain-bike/9486775?offset=5

is there really a lot in it in terms of reliability ?

would apollo be Afla and Trek be honda ?

i thought a chain and pedal system would be simple enough

• Registered Users Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Speaking of tyres i have the 4 Eagle F1 's waiting to go on once my RS clutch 440cc injectors new map and quaife lsd are done at end of week, can't wait to see how it grips and handles the small bit of extra power/torque :)

is there really a lot in it in terms of reliability ?

would apollo be Afla and Trek be honda ?

i thought a chain and pedal system would be simple enough

What youd be doing is buying a new dacia instead of a 4 year old audi. Craper frame with craper bits stuck too it.:).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Speaking of tyres i have the 4 Eagle F1 's waiting to go on once my RS clutch 440cc injectors new map and quaife lsd are done at end of week, can't wait to see how it grips and handles the small bit of extra power/torque :)

Oh that shall be something!!!

Is the focus rs 4 wheel drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

No, front only.

Nope inter just FWD.

No, front only.
    YbFocus wrote: »
    Nope inter just FWD.

Pity. Be some unit. Was just thinking the next logical step for SG was RS running gear but hes probably there or thereabouts now with the clutch and uprated diff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Lads, what kind of price range is good for painting wheels? I mean properly with proper paint and not a YOLO job?
    I have a lad who sand blast wheels preps them and uses proper paint and he is charging 50 a wheel. Is that okay price?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Sounds cheap. Maybe too cheap.

Get them powdercoated man! Not much more expensive and way stronger!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,081 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Bpmull wrote: »
    Completely unrelated but A relation has/ had a 132 mini on Pcp a few ago she went into get it serviced wasn't massive mileage on the car very good nick still a practically new car as you would expect. Anyway it got its basic service garage told her it needed a set of pads which at bmw prices wouldn't be cheap and then 4 tyres. So rather than give them the money to do the work which she probably didn't have she bought a new one :eek:

Pcp has things ruined I think, I know so many people who actually couldn't afford any kind of a decent cheap secondhand car going around in new cars because Pcp 300 euro a month I really just don't get it at all.

Wtf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

beertons wrote: »
    Wtf.

I couldn't believe the story but it ultimately came to her handing out 500 ish to get the work done or an extra 30-40 euro per month for a new. But the whole thing just makes the cars seem so dispossible drive them for a while through them back at the garage for a new one.

I remember when my dad was buying his golf van and the salesman was going on about Pcp my dad was just there sure wdf could would a 15k km be on a work van are you suppose to drive it 4 months of the year and park it up for the rest.

I see how the system works but to me it only makes sense if you have money sitting to cover the balloon and I know no one on Pcp that would im not saying there isn't people though.

OSI wrote: »
    What's there to get?

I can get the people who may take it out and buy the car in 3 years time. But the people who can't afford that and plan on doing Pcp over and over again it means that you will be always paying 200-600 per month permanently never owning anything so by doing it permanently your effectively just paying for the use of a car that doesn't even so much as have your name on the logbook.

Although in saying all that Id dread to think of how many more garages would be closed if we didn't have it. The guy that owns the garage I bought the megane in was saying almost all their cars are sold through Pcp and the vast majority of the secondhand ones are bought with a loan he said it is very rare to see anyone coming into buy a car worth anymore than a few k with money they.

YbFocus wrote: »
    Get them powdercoated man! Not much more expensive and way stronger!

Aye, I know it would be the way to go, but this is the fella that I know who does it. I checked his work, that was already 3 months old on a car and it looked immaculate. I was not looking to change a colour of my wwheels, but I got a planted seed in my head of different colou. Do something mad lol.
    I did a thing on forza just to see how it looks and I fell I'm love hehe:
    DSC_0961_zpssdwef7sd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Id say let them keep doing it that way, all the 2nd hand cars have to come from somewhere, but you are also right in that people will not appreciate the cars they have and will just treat them as disposables which will lead to them not looking after the cars very well.

red and green are not complimentary colours...

Personally I would have went with bronze but its your car so go mad:D

red and green are not complimentary colours...

Personally I would have went with bronze but its your car so go mad:D

That's the thing though, i dont want it green, I want it disgustingly as possible lime colour lol. Just **** you that's why look lol. I would even go pink, but it does not look good on red

• Advertisement

That's the thing though, i dont want it green, I want it disgustingly as possible lime colour lol. Just **** you that's why look lol. I would even go pink, but it does not look good on red

Well, yellow looks ok too.
    349927.jpg

Well, yellow looks ok too.
    349927.jpg

Wow man. Cheers! This is class! I actually liking the light blue too!
    Yellow is just a bit boring and safe...
    Can you do it in white as well?

I have literally no experience dealing with breakers yards so do they typically sell you everything that's in the car or is it just the big expensive parts like doors, lights, engine, gearbox radio. I'm looking for an owners manual and the folders with the other books in it. Granted not a vital part of the car as you can look them up online anyway but if I could get one handy then I will. Very few breakers even breaking megane 3 but there is a few. Actually would the main dealer order one or can they even do that. Anyone any ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Can you do it in white as well?

White on red is guaranteed to look good.
    Bpmull wrote: »
    I have literally no experience dealing with breakers yards so do they typically sell you everything that's in the car or is it just the big expensive parts like doors, lights, engine, gearbox radio. I'm looking for an owners manual and the folders with the other books in it. Granted not a vital part of the car as you can look them up online anyway but if I could get one handy then I will. Very few breakers even breaking megane 3 but there is a few. Actually would the main dealer order one or can they even do that. Anyone any ideas.

Get their phone number, give them a call before you go down and ask if they'll give you whatever it is that you're after.

GvidoR wrote: »
    White on red is guaranteed to look good.

Get their phone number, give them a call before you go down and ask if they'll give you whatever it is that you're after.

Yeah, white will look okay, but it's super safe too. I want something mad. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Yeah, white will look okay, but it's super safe too. I want something mad. :)

Yeah, I know you said that, that's why I was a little surprised you asked him if he can do a white wheel render.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

PCP is actually a decent option for cars that hold their value well. I know a lad who has PCP on an MK7 Golf. He's paying something around €250 p/m and at the end of 3 years, the guaranteed price is something in the region of €8-9k, can't remember for sure. I could easily see him selling a 5 year old TDI Golf for that amount or maybe even more privately. If I were to get a brand new car, PCP would definitely be the way I'd do it.

Also, as already mentioned, these PCP plans get more new cars into the second hand market which can only be a good thing.

dorgasm wrote: »
    PCP is actually a decent option for cars that hold their value well. I know a lad who has PCP on an MK7 Golf. He's paying something around €250 p/m and at the end of 3 years, the guaranteed price is something in the region of €8-9k, can't remember for sure. I could easily see him selling a 5 year old TDI Golf for that amount or maybe even more privately. If I were to get a brand new car, PCP would definitely be the way I'd do it.

Also, as already mentioned, these PCP plans get more new cars into the second hand market which can only be a good thing.

But the whole point is unless he has the 10k to pay the balloon payment he can't go around selling it on donedeal as its not his car to sell. I have heard of people doing this after 3 years buying the car back for let's say 10k selling for 14k privately and buying another one that does actually make Ms sense I said that above. My point is that if you can't afford to buy it out and have to take a new one each time it's the garage getting that gets most of the equity in it not you.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

And that plays nicely in to the garages hands as you go back to them and take another new car. ;)

• Advertisement

Big Nasty wrote: »
    And that plays nicely in to the garages hands as you go back to them and take another new car. ;)

Well I realise they are a business out to make money and they wouldn't be trying to push Pcp down your troat everytime you walk in if it wasn't the most profitable option for them. But too me it only works out well for the owner if they can afford to pay the balloon payment and then either sell or keep the car. Otherwise by handing it back and getting a new one everytime it kind of becomes this permanent repayment/ debt that you never pay off.

I am not against car loans I think HP works well over 3 years as I'm sure it's inevitable that I will end up with a car loan at some stage in the next few years but the only way Id be going for Pcp was if I was going to save over have the money to pay the balloon payments after the 3 years. Id probably take out HP either way saves a lot of messing around.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement