Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

********Motors Chat - Round 8 ********

Options

Comments

nd wrote: »
    Anyone on here gone to the Limerick Classic Car Show before?

Saw some lovely machines on the motorway that must have been going to that. A red 635ci and a few mk1 golfs. One of the golfs seems to have died in adare

• Registered Users Posts: 73,413 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Crap, was that on today?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Crap, was that on today?

As we speak. Was too fragile to go after the Munster match yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Osram Nightbreakers, Philips are Oem type yellow light
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    Nightbreaker unlimited are the job.

The NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED sets new standards in terms of performance. Up to 110 % more brightness, a light cone up to 40 meters longer and 20 % whiter light compared to standard halogen lamps – the perfect precondition for safe and fatigue-free driving. Because of their improved features, NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED headlamps ensure improved visibility and significantly better response times. For all car drivers wanting to show their fists to darkness.

Up to 110 % more light on the road (compared to standard halogen lamps) for fatigue-free and comfortable driving
    A light cone up to 40 meters longer (compared to standard halogen lamps) for better visibility and significantly longer response times
    Up to 20 % whiter light (compared to standard halogen lamps) via partial cobalt coating of the glass bod
    More efficient generation of light thanks to optimized noble filler gas formula
    Higher resistance due to robust filament design
    Eye-catching design with partial blue coating and silver dome
    The most powerful OSRAM halogen automotive lamp

Sound lads :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

What the best way to tell if a wheel bearing is on the way out. I'm getting noise that sounds like a wheel bearing on the way out does it between 85-105 kmh depending on the road it sounds like it's coming from rear driver side if you go around a corner left putting more weight on that tyre it seems to stop it. It does it when the car is and that speed in neutral so not the gearbox thank god. Any ideas.

• Advertisement

Bpmull wrote: »
    What the best way to tell if a wheel bearing is on the way out. I'm getting noise that sounds like a wheel bearing on the way out does it between 85-105 kmh depending on the road it sounds like it's coming from rear driver side if you go around a corner left putting more weight on that tyre it seems to stop it. It does it when the car is and that speed in neutral so not the gearbox thank god. Any ideas.

You hardy need a new bearing for such a new car

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Take off the wheel and the brake pads and rotate the hub by hand. You'll hear a slight grinding noise if it's on the way out. If it's really bad there will be play in it. Other things like the wheel might be hotter than the rest etc. may do but it doesn't rule out the brake sticking on. The bearings come inside the rear discs on the meg II. Not sure about yours.

Seems they do alright. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-MEGANE-MK3-08-12-REAR-2-BRAKE-DISCS-PADS-FITTED-WHEEL-BEARINGS-ABS-RINGS-/271179524032?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f238f27c0

Makes them pricy to buy but easy to diy fit.

My mothers car is getting a front bearing 11 reg with 110k km on it this has 117k km on it so it's possible.

Interslice wrote: »
    Take off the wheel and the brake pads and rotate the hub by hand. You'll hear a slight grinding noise if it's on the way out. If it's really bad there will be play in it. Other things like the wheel might be hotter than the rest etc. may do but it doesn't rule out the brake sticking on. The bearings come inside the rear discs on the meg II. Not sure about yours.

Would it be enough to just be lazy about it jack up both sides of the rear one side at a time and spin the wheels by hand and see if I can notice a difference or would I not even if the bearing was going.

This is what micksgarage suggests the bearing looks like.

http://www.micksgarage.com/search.aspx?fffBrand=SNR~~~MEYLE&fffDepartment=Wheel%2BBearing%2BKits&fffMake=renault~~~renault&fffBasemodel=renault%20megane~~~renault%20megane&fffModelDescription=megane%20hatchback%202008%20onwards~~~megane%20hatchback%202008%20onwards&ffftd_car=1.5%20dci%20(bz0c)~~~1.5%20dci%20(bz0c)&fffBHP=90~~~90

My mothers car is getting a front bearing 11 reg with 110k km on it this has 117k km on it so it's possible.

A rear bearing went on my mams megane 2 at around 60k miles. It's 13 years old though, but i would guess mileage is probably a bigger wearer of bearings than age.

• Advertisement

Would it be enough to just be lazy about it jack up both sides of the rear one side at a time and spin the wheels by hand and see if I can notice a difference or would I not even if the bearing was going.

This is what micksgarage suggests the bearing looks like.

http://www.micksgarage.com/search.aspx?fffBrand=SNR~~~MEYLE&fffDepartment=Wheel%2BBearing%2BKits&fffMake=renault~~~renault&fffBasemodel=renault%20megane~~~renault%20megane&fffModelDescription=megane%20hatchback%202008%20onwards~~~megane%20hatchback%202008%20onwards&ffftd_car=1.5%20dci%20(bz0c)~~~1.5%20dci%20(bz0c)&fffBHP=90~~~90

You might be able to tell by doing that. Try it first anyway. Depends how bad it is. Can't see your link. Same as these? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-MEGANE-MK3-08-12-REAR-2-BRAKE-DISCS-PADS-FITTED-WHEEL-BEARINGS-ABS-RINGS-/271179524032?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f238f27c0

You might be able to tell by doing that. Try it first anyway. Depends how bad it is. Can't see your link. Same as these? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-MEGANE-MK3-08-12-REAR-2-BRAKE-DISCS-PADS-FITTED-WHEEL-BEARINGS-ABS-RINGS-/271179524032?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f238f27c0

So would they use the part on micksgarage and push out the old push in the new ones. Would it be a labour intensive job if it is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Got a nice set of torx bits that fit 1/2" and 3/4" ratchets at a car boot sale so I'll be able to do oil and filter change on the Astra.

I also picked up a little something for the Golfs dashboard. :D

18046320405_24bd1286a4_c.jpg

So would they use the part on micksgarage and push out the old push in the new ones. Would it be a labour intensive job if it is gone.

Ye you can press them in but false economy. I got 2 Apec rear discs for 100 euro 130 euro with the bearing already in. I'd pay about 60 for normal discs. Then you'll have to change the pads. If your not diying it and your pads and discs have plenty on them just get the bearings done. 5 minute job just to press in a new bearing. Rest of the job is the same as fitting new pads and discs.

Here is the job i done http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93886102&postcount=4466

Long story short :) your looking at 160 to diy new pads and disks at the back versus 20 quid or so for a bearing plus about 50 for labour i'd imagine.

I jacked up both back wheels both are spinning equally freely no resistance on either what I did notice is you can hear the pad slightly touching the pads on both sides now slightly not putting any resistance on the wheel from turning. Would this normal or could it be from it sitting up for so long.

I jacked up both back wheels both are spinning equally freely no resistance on either what I did notice is you can hear the pad slightly touching the pads on both sides now slightly not putting any resistance on the wheel from turning. Would this normal or could it be from it sitting up for so long.

Could be rust on the disc from sitting up. Is there a lip on it? Sometimes that lip swells if it's been sitting up. Or could be a warped disc or the pads not sitting right because of corrosion in the carrier. That's why I was saying before to take out the pads to diagnose the bearing.

Is the wear even on the 2 pads on the same wheel? Usually a sign of the pads sticking in the carrier. From what your saying it sounds more like they might just need a going over with a wire brush and a flat head screw driver and bit of copper grease. From what I remember the wheel bearing in the mothers car was loudest at about 40 km/hr but you could hear in droning away at all speeds apart from crawling pace. Vibration from a wheel at a particular speed I've normally found is the brakes because they resonate at a certain frequency.

Pads are worn even on both sides discs have same amount of lip which is very very little the discs wouldn't need to be replaced going by the lip. It's seems to be more than likely brakes as it's the same speed and never at low or motorway speed. I mean if I drive it for a few weeks it might sort itself although the only thing is the back brakes don't do much braking mainly front as you know.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95615480#post95615480

:cool:

An old transit would be top class now imo. Very cool smoker.

Pads are worn even on both sides discs have same amount of lip which is very very little the discs wouldn't need to be replaced going by the lip. It's seems to be more than likely brakes as it's the same speed and never at low or motorway speed. I mean if I drive it for a few weeks it might sort itself although the only thing is the back brakes don't do much braking mainly front as you know.

Ye leave at while then. Doesn't sound like the pads are sticking. If its a bit of rust on the brakes the noise should improve. If it's the bearing it'll get worse. :)

Might actually be know harm to fill the boot with bags of dogfood or something heavy for a few trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

This is normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

GvidoR wrote: »

18046320405_24bd1286a4_c.jpg

Is that to cover the screw hole that is there?

Is that to cover the screw hole that is there?

Hahah, yes it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Was that the car boot sale in Carrick on Shannon?

job seeker wrote: »
    Was that the car boot sale in Carrick on Shannon?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

GvidoR wrote: »
    Yes.

Ah ya, nice things pop up there..

job seeker wrote: »
    Ah ya, nice things pop up there..

I guess I don't go there often enough then. :pac:

Ye leave at while then. Doesn't sound like the pads are sticking. If its a bit of rust on the brakes the noise should improve. If it's the bearing it'll get worse. :)

Might actually be know harm to fill the boot with bags of dogfood or something heavy for a few trips.

I think I may have sorted this I went around an empty car park tonight and to speed up the process abit like what a mechanic does when bedding in new brakes going 20-30 kmh gently pulling up and down the handbrake with the button pressed not clicking it up or anything to clean the discs a bit. Then on a completly empty straight road Braked hard a few times and the noise seems to have almost completly gone to the point where you would struggle to hear it now the real test will be tomorrow on sh!tier roads to see if the noise is gone. When I got back the rear discs looked far fresher and cleaner. Hopefully this will turn out to be the easy fix for once :)

Watching the thanks in the post a pic of your car thread is interesting. A diesel bimmer vs. 2, very rare to ireland, prestine examples of iconic cars... 11 to 12 to the japs so far. No offence meant to bazz of course. Lovely car in its own right.

I think I may have sorted this I went around an empty car park tonight and to speed up the process abit like what a mechanic does when bedding in new brakes going 20-30 kmh gently pulling up and down the handbrake with the button pressed not clicking it up or anything to clean the discs a bit. Then on a completly empty straight road Braked hard a few times and the noise seems to have almost completly gone to the point where you would struggle to hear it now the real test will be tomorrow on sh!tier roads to see if the noise is gone. When I got back the rear discs looked far fresher and cleaner. Hopefully this will turn out to be the easy fix for once :)

Ye the hand brake does the job alright. Thought you had an electric one, forgot to ask you about that earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Watching the thanks in the post a pic of your car thread is interesting. A diesel bimmer vs. 2, very rare to ireland, prestine examples of iconic cars... 11 to 12 to the japs so far. No offence meant to bazz of course. Lovely car in its own right.

Its quite amazing alright, happens a good bit!
    The dc2 and the ae are iconic and its mad how they don't attract more!
    Could be the time of the day though!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement