Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

********Motors Chat - Round 8 ********

Options

Comments

Bpmull wrote: »
    Best of luck with the interview for the new job SG

Hopefully I get to the interview stage. Cheers dude :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Gunned of the tow bar off mine there last week. Horrible looking yolk. Not sure whether the frame is welded to the chassis or not yet. Not to bothered really. Want to do something about the rear wiper though.

207q8no.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Yay, now I'm not the only one who could use a new number plate. :P

GvidoR wrote: »
    Yay, now I'm not the only one who could use a new number plate. :P

In the plans!... Mechanical OCD unfortunately far outweighs any urges to fix aesthetic stuff :P. I would rather spend the 40 quid to replace 2 slightly worn bushings than the number plates They are fairly bad though...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

If you ever need to give a Latvian toast, give me a call. :P

Careful I might take you up on that offer:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

ba_barabus wrote: »
    I'm going to do a couple of sentences, nothing major. As I'm a language teacher I'm pretty certain I can master the pronunciation quickly. Then again it could all fall apart.

Cinio. He'll make sure you say it right, or else he'll start a thread about how much better they are at speaking polish in poland

Interslice wrote: »
    In the plans!... Mechanical OCD unfortunately far outweighs any urges to fix aesthetic stuff :P. I would rather spend the 40 quid to replace 2 slightly worn bushings than the number plates They are fairly bad though...

Makes sense, that's the same reason I don't have new plates yet.
    ba_barabus wrote: »
    Careful I might take you up on that offer:P

I wouldn't mind. :)

Makes sense, that's the same reason I don't have new plates yet.

Can't wait to go to the scrap yard next week. Hopefully find a few gems :). Bose speakers top of the hope list. One in the back of mine is blown so will need to get one anyway. A sportivo back box too. Look much nicer than the standard roundy pipe.

http://www.alfa156.net/owners_2008/027garciap5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Gunned of the tow bar off mine there last week. Horrible looking yolk. Not sure whether the frame is welded to the chassis or not yet. Not to bothered really. Want to do something about the rear wiper though.

207q8no.jpg

How are you meant to tow the trailer to the mart now?

Horrible looking yolk.

You mean the alfa, right? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Bita bailer twine tied to the rear axle. It's the way it's done nowadays. Tow bars are overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Cinio. He'll make sure you say it right, or else he'll start a thread about how much better they are at speaking polish in poland

Ohhhhh perfect, I knew someone here was Polish.........and liked accuracy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

Bita bailer twine tied to the rear axle. It's the way it's done nowadays. Tow bars are overrated.

You have baler twine :eek:

Flash baxtard :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

pred racer wrote: »
    You have baler twine :eek:

Flash baxtard :D

Its bullwire or nothin :D

Fancy nancy twine :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

Bpmull wrote: »
    That's some going infairness that car owes you nothing ah it just goes to show you what they will do when minded. Yours probably still looks and drive perfectly even with that mileage.

Ya it pays to look after a car. We were very lucky in that we got it for €7,500 at 3 and a half years old! A fella had it who knew nothing about cars, couldn't open the bonnet to show me the bay! Ad was up 15 mins when I rang him, saw it the evening and put a deposit down. People were ringing him on the test drive!

It's never failed an NCT and only mechanical part that's been replaced is the starter motor. Other than that both rear wheel bearings, all brakes and front suspension have been renewed. Due to a design flaw the power steering pipe work was replaced in Jan. Exhaust, rear suspension and clutch are still original!

It gets Ford spec fully synt oil every 10k kms along with new airfilter, sparkplugs and oil filter. No sludge whatsoever in the engine.

IMAG0733_zps104d2889.jpg
    IMAG0734_zpsff38de2f.jpg
    IMAG0735_zps3734897c.jpg

Not bad for what now has 301k kms done!

Also I won original Ford black front headlights on ebay uk back in February and posted to my Wife's Aunt in the UK all inclusive was €77. The Aunt will be at ours by the time I get home from work today so looking forward to swapping the headlights as the black ones freshen the car a good bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

FBD are A1 to deal with. No problem transferring over insurance and was done in a couple of minutes. Garage gave me a Ford Focus to have for today and tomorrow, irocically enough it was the same one I test drove two weeks ago :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

FBD are A1 to deal with. No problem transferring over insurance and was done in a couple of minutes. Garage gave me a Ford Focus to have for today and tomorrow, irocically enough it was the same one I test drove two weeks ago :p

Yep Id say it's a complete coincidence that they knew you were interested in buying that car and ended up giving it to you as a loaner :pac:

Ah infairness FBD are generally good to deal with I was with them before I would have went with them this time if they hadn't been 1400 euro more. I find Liberty fairly specially considering I rang them on the first day of the policy to transfer the insurance for 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Lads, I'm getting a groaning noise from the car when I go full lock or side to side quickly, is it the power steering playing up? Will check the fluid when I get home but there's no difference in the ease of which to turn it.

Anyone know if there is some courier that would ship bumpers from Ireland to California?

~15 KG, 165 x 135 x 45cm

Looked at a few but so far it seems like mission impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Lads, I'm getting a groaning noise from the car when I go full lock or side to side quickly, is it the power steering playing up? Will check the fluid when I get home but there's no difference in the ease of which to turn it.

It is indeed to do with the power steering.

Happens in mine too and in my previous 2 cars. It's considered normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

It is indeed to do with the power steering.

Happens in mine too and in my previous 2 cars. It's considered normal.

Really? It's sounds brutal and sometimes can be quite loud!

Anyone know if there is some courier that would ship bumpers from Ireland to California?

~15 KG, 165 x 135 x 45cm

Looked at a few but so far it seems like mission impossible.

Unless they're made out of some rare metal and you're being paid by the gram, it aint worth it. Shipping costs in the hundreds/thousands. Dimensional weight works out at 199.5KG (http://www.fedex.com/ie/tools/dimweight.html)

Unless they're made out of some rare metal and you're being paid by the gram, it aint worth it. Shipping costs in the hundreds/thousands. Dimensional weight works out at 199.5KG (http://www.fedex.com/ie/tools/dimweight.html)

I thought that might be the case. I got a quick quote from FedEx already for €250 or so. Even if another courier is up to the task it's not going to be much cheaper, is it?

I thought that might be the case. I got a quick quote from FedEx already for €250 or so. Even if another courier is up to the task it's not going to be much cheaper, is it?

I guarantee you didn't put in the right measurements for that quote. Cheaper quote from fedex is €2863.80 using their online calculator. Package Details: 1 skid(s), 15.0 kgs, Your Packaging, 165 cm x 135 cm x 45 cm

Wow. Okay then, it's not meant to be.

7SXr7g.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Still missing car :(

Spose it might be hard to drive with gearbox and engine dropped out of it at the same time :p

Checked my tyres there the other day and the front will need replacing soon. I put a full set on in the middle of January. They weren't a great brand however, landsail. I have covered approx 6 or 7k miles since then. That is an awful return from a tyre, even if they aren't a great brand. The back are still ok yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Swap them front to back to kill them off properly so.

• Advertisement

Swap them front to back to kill them off properly so.

Ya, get shut of the whole lot then!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement