Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

********Motors Chat - Round 8 ********

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Big Nasty wrote: »
    GvidoR, there's an orange Vento on Donedeal with your name written all over it. ;)

Seen it.

Nope. Nope. Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

Does anyone know if FBD charge to swap over your insurance to another car for a day?

Mondeo is going into the garage tomorrow to get the wet timing belt done.. Was told by the garage that they'll have it all day thursday and possibly even going into friday. And I really need a car for the whole day Thursday.

*I dont mind paying if there is, just would be nice to know if they do and how much it would cost :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

GvidoR wrote: »
    [drool]

[/drool]

In fairness, that rootbeer colour is one of the nicest aftermarket paint jobs I've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

Hit this today.....
    8K since I got it in October, due an Oil and Filter change now.

Sure that's not even run in yet!

Hit this last week on a '05 1.4 Focus so the car is doubly worthless now!

FocusMile_zpspiokxa1k.jpg

Bought it in Aug '08 with 89k kms. Can't fault the car at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Does anyone know if FBD charge to swap over your insurance to another car for a day?

Mondeo is going into the garage tomorrow to get the wet timing belt done.. Was told by the garage that they'll have it all day thursday and possibly even going into friday. And I really need a car for the whole day Thursday.

*I dont mind paying if there is, just would be nice to know if they do and how much it would cost :)

Cost me 31.74 euro per 2 weeks to swap over mine to the temporary car with Liberty so even for a day they were charging 31.74 as a kind of admin fee I suppose. Fbd may be free do although I doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

renofan wrote: »

That's some going infairness that car owes you nothing ah it just goes to show you what they will do when minded. Yours probably still looks and drive perfectly even with that mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Varies between companies, most are free for the first few times you change, however I think FBD are fairly tight like that and may charge an admin fee.

Is this the second time changing the timing on the mondeo?

Varies between companies, most are free for the first few times you change, however I think FBD are fairly tight like that and may charge an admin fee.

Is this the second time changing the timing on the mondeo?

It would literally be for 24 hours.. Guess I'll have to find out in the morning and just go with whatever price they charge.

This is the wet timing belt thats being done. Im not too familiar with it but from what I could gather, it has to be replaced around the 180k km mark and it a very expensive job to do. I was only made aware of this during the week and the car is at 210k km now, so I booked it in straight away and its going into the garage tomorrow morning. Cant remember the exact quote but it was between €1000 - €1500 to do.

With the timing belt itself, I genuinely cant remember when it was last done. So much has been done to the car over the last two years. AFAIK it was when it was at 170k km / 15 months ago.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Got the car, as I was sorting out insurance on the phone a bloke came in wanting to test drive it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Stheno wrote: »
    Got the car, as I was sorting out insurance on the phone a bloke came in wanting to test drive it lol

Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

This is the wet timing belt thats being done. Im not too familiar with it but from what I could gather, it has to be replaced around the 180k km mark and it a very expensive job to do. I was only made aware of this during the week and the car is at 210k km now, so I booked it in straight away and its going into the garage tomorrow morning. Cant remember the exact quote but it was between €1000 - €1500 to do.

:confused: Yours is a 1.8, right? There's one kit that covers the timing belt on the mondeo, It contains the wet belt, which is submerged in oil, and the regular belt, water pump is often changed too. All of this should be changed at the same interval of 100k miles. The combined cost of this is typically around 800 euro from a main dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Never been charged by them. Swapped for 5 months at one stage across multiple cars and they never asked for a penny. Always found them straight up.

:confused: Yours is a 1.8, right? There's one kit that covers the timing belt on the mondeo, It contains the wet belt, which is submerged in oil, and the regular belt, water pump is often changed too. All of this should be changed at the same interval of 100k miles. The combined cost of this is typically around 800 euro from a main dealer.

I genuinely cannot remember, I let my father bring the car to the garage during the week to get it booked in and get a quote. The mechanic from Ford, who I was with last week, said its just the wet timing belt that should be a worry as it should be replaced at 180k km. He was able to check on his computer in the dealership that it was never replaced before. I think the quote was €1100 or €1200 from a garage (not the main dealership).

Hmmm... what makes them anti-theft?

7wAN8A9.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Hmmm... what makes them anti-theft?

7wAN8A9.png

The heads are beveled one way and flat the other. Try loosen it, the flathead screwdriver will just slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

security-screw-1.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Charging €4.19 for 2 screws is very pro-theft though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Charging €4.19 for 2 screws is very pro-theft though

The last thing I bought in that place was 4 valve caps for the tires. Only needed one! 2 euro fifty! About 3 years ago and havent stepped foot in one since.

Mycroft H wrote: »
    The heads are beveled one way and flat the other. Try loosen it, the flathead screwdriver will just slip.

So how do you screw them in? You need to buy a special tool for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

So how do you screw them in? You need to buy a special tool for it?

They're one way, so to speak. You can easily get them in, but it's harder to take them off.
    Number plate theft is taken seriously in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

renofan wrote: »

FocusMile_zpspiokxa1k.jpg

I can, I drove one recently as a loaner(an 05 also), I've never ever driven anything so painfully slow and un economical in my life, it was horrible. The one I had, had 260k km and I couldn't help thinking that whoever owned it must've died of boredom (and bankruptcy from putting petrol in it) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

colm_mcm wrote: »
    They're one way, so to speak. You can easily get them in, but it's harder to take them off.
    Number plate theft is taken seriously in the UK.

Mainly because you can't get plates printed without presenting proof of ownership and ID.

I genuinely cannot remember, I let my father bring the car to the garage during the week to get it booked in and get a quote. The mechanic from Ford, who I was with last week, said its just the wet timing belt that should be a worry as it should be replaced at 180k km. He was able to check on his computer in the dealership that it was never replaced before. I think the quote was €1100 or €1200 from a garage (not the main dealership).

The 1.8 wet belt setup to change the whole lot is €750 in my local ford garage. A decent Indy will be €100 cheaper (the kit is expensive) iirc the water pump isn't on the timing belt, and doesn't get changed unless it's fooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I've just got a 151 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S parked outside the window.

Sadly I can't stand up to take a picture due to 'manhood appreciation'

@ Ybfocus.

I seen a beige mondeo in tullamore today, with a black boot, spoiler, black flames down the side and purple wheels:eek:

Wtf are you lot at over that direction:p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

pred racer wrote: »
    @ Ybfocus.

I seen a beige mondeo in tullamore today, with a black boot, spoiler, black flames down the side and purple wheels:eek:

Wtf are you lot at over that direction:p

Oh yes, that beauty is around for some time :)
    Don't tar us with all the same brush!!

It's the main reason I moved to Carlow, to get away from looking at that Mondeo :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

predracer wrote: »
    I can, I drove one recently as a loaner(an 05 also), I've never ever driven anything so painfully slow and un economical in my life, it was horrible. The one I had, had 260k km and I couldn't help thinking that whoever owned it must've died of boredom (and bankruptcy from putting petrol in it) :rolleyes:

Sound like it was having issues? Its hard not to judge a car by one bad egg sometimes. Had the same thing with a mk 1 focus I drove. Engine gearbox suspension all in tatters. Havent driven one since but alot of people reckon there a grand car. I would be reluctant to even sit in onr again!

Mainly because you can't get plates printed without presenting proof of ownership and ID.

Is that just for people like you, or does that apply to normal people aswell? :pac:

YbFocus wrote: »
    Oh yes, that beauty is around for some time :)
    Don't tar us with all the same brush!!

It's the main reason I moved to Carlow, to get away from looking at that Mondeo :pac:

I seen an Asian dude the other day in Lucan, 4 door beige focus saloon, huuuuge spoiler on the back ( you know the mechano looking ones) and a donkey load of DRLs on the front........

He was so money supermarket :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

pred racer wrote: »
    I seen an Asian dude the other day in Lucan, 4 door beige focus saloon, huuuuge spoiler on the back ( you know the mechano looking ones) and a donkey load of DRLs on the front........

He was so money supermarket :cool:

Is it like my spoiler?

bmw-rice-boy.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Didn't want to start a thread about it but I've a question about timing chains.

I have a Mazda 6 and it has a timing chain.

My thoughts on timing chains was they don't need to be changed like timing belts unless the car isn't serviced properly or you hear some knocking noise starting to happen.

That said I've read other views on it online people saying do it when the manufacturer recommends or you could have big problems to deal with.

Mazda recommend 80,000 miles I think it is which my car will be up to probably by next service so just wondering what peoples thoughts are.

I wasn't gonna bother but unsure now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement