Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Raiders cut Marquette king. Genuinely surprised at that

They're taking a punter in round one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

So Cooks goes to LA Rams with a 4th round pick for 1.21. I can't get my head around it. On the face of it, LA are upgrading on Watkins, but I can't escape the feeling that they're giving up a lot to win this season. And who knows what the Patriots are doing. They were supposed to be all in to get as many titles as possible before Brady gets crap, but this is like a rebuild move.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Guffy

D9Male wrote: »
    So Cooks goes to LA Rams with a 4th round pick for 1.21. I can't get my head around it. On the face of it, LA are upgrading on Watkins, but I can't escape the feeling that they're giving up a lot to win this season. And who knows what the Patriots are doing. They were supposed to be all in to get as many titles as possible before Brady gets crap, but this is like a rebuild move.

Unless they're going for obj? I doub they are but ya know... maybe

Guffy wrote: »
    Unless they're going for obj? I doub they are but ya know... maybe

All in on receivers...
    In the draft
    Ridley,Kirk in round one
    Washington in round two

Gronk, Hogan and Edelman as the old crew...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

brinty wrote: »
    All in on receivers...
    In the draft
    Ridley,Kirk in round one
    Washington in round two

Gronk, Hogan and Edelman as the old crew...

If gronk decides to go back

• Advertisement

Hococop wrote: »
    If gronk decides to go back

Gronk will be back.

Is britt still there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭letowski

I think Patriots got a good deal. They have got two firsts and seconds to inject talent where they need to. For example they could find themselves in a position to trade up a few spots and take McGlinchey to replace Solder, which is quite a pressing need for them. There are some good development receivers in the mid rounds of the drafts that can be good players, and we know they have an excellent track record in this area of developing skill players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

I dont think they will go after any WR in the first two rounds. Most likely take Oline or defensive needs in the first and 2nd round or a QB. Would be surprised to see them trade up in the first either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

This move from the Rams somehow makes no sense and perfect sense, depending how you look at it.

For the former, in less than a year they have given their 2018 1st and 2nd round picks for two receivers in the last year of their rookie contracts. They have already lost one of them and will likely lose the other at the end of season for the same reason. At 1.23 there would likely be only one WR off the board, so if they picked well they could have had a star WR on a cheap deal for 5 years. After all that their first pick in the 2018 draft is now #87.

On the other hand, most of their off-season moves are an aggressive ‘win now’ look and this fits that plan. They are going to have to blow up the team in the next year or two as you have Donald, Joyner (already tagged once), Suh, Gurley, Peters, and Goff (amongst others) all looking to get paid joined with the likes of Talib and Whitworth likely going downhill. Looking at things that way you might as well add what you see as an experienced ‘sure thing’ WR for the year you’re taking a run for a ring than risk a rookie WR that might need that key year or two to get up to NFL speed.

It is an interesting way to go at things, high risk but obviously a very high reward. I would guess that the long term plan is to keep Donald, Gurley, Goff (if he keeps improving) and one other and let the others go as their contracts end. At that point have their set stars and try to build a younger team around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,829 ✭✭✭nerd69

It's pretty similar to how the eagles built there team last year tbh and the pats also spent a few draft picks on established guys in the last few years so it may well work out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭Blut2

Jeese thats a bit unfortunate. American airport staff have to be some of the least humorous people in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

To those Pats fans who believe all is happy in NE heaven - I am sure the latest report of BB tearing into Gronk over his relationship with Guerrero is just another one of those 'nothing to see here'.

This came on top of reports that Mitchell is also working with Guerrero and rumours of a potential player rebellion against BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,866 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yeah it's all bull imo. Guerrero is now being suggested as the Rasputin of New England.

To those Pats fans who believe all is happy in NE heaven - I am sure the latest report of BB tearing into Gronk over his relationship with Guerrero is just another one of those 'nothing to see here'.

This came on top of reports that Mitchell is also working with Guerrero and rumours of a potential player rebellion against BB.

Ah hang on. Did you read ther actual article? It was basically an article about the TB living thing with one line referencing a comment made in week 5 or so. Not a Pats fan but glad to see you can make your mind up from "reports" of a single line in an article.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Is it a case of bb not have a problem with it but the medical staff, they are feeling undermined so are telling bb to get rid of Guerrero and considering only a few work with Guerrero he has to

Or is this all been blown out of proportion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Guffy wrote: »
    Ah hang on. Did you read ther actual article? It was basically an article about the TB living thing with one line referencing a comment made in week 5 or so. Not a Pats fan but glad to see you can make your mind up from "reports" of a single line in an article.
    Don't bother, there's a reason he's banned from the Pats thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

It is an interesting situation that the team and BB finds themselves in though. Guerrero like him or loathe him has had success in treating some players and Brady's longevity could possibly be because of his relationship with him. In my mind if Gronk got success by going to the TB12 center and working with Guerrero why would it matter to BB? I'm pretty sure BB really only cares about being successful. So no days off and whatever it takes , except if it means working with Guerrero? Sounds a little suspect and conspiracy theory crap at best.

The Pats as an organisation have to be admired, consistently at the right end of the playoff picture. Sustained success and overall a harmonious locker room for the most part.

It is an interesting situation that the team and BB finds themselves in though. Guerrero like him or loathe him has had success in treating some players and Brady's longevity could possibly be because of his relationship with him. In my mind if Gronk got success by going to the TB12 center and working with Guerrero why would it matter to BB? I'm pretty sure BB really only cares about being successful. So no days off and whatever it takes , except if it means working with Guerrero? Sounds a little suspect and conspiracy theory crap at best.

The Pats as an organisation have to be admired, consistently at the right end of the playoff picture. Sustained success and overall a harmonious locker room for the most part.
    Maybe it's cause it has been covered to death on Pats radio and coverage, but whatever issues are there, it's based on so little information and has been sensationalized by those trying to get some talk going in the long off season. For most Pats fans this is old info. Guerrero has a dodgy past, but Brady believes in him. Whether it actually makes a difference or not I don't know, but Brady certainly is playing extraordinarily well, which is all I care about :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Christy42

I doubt BB cares much either way. If he felt him effective Guerrero would be part of the Pats set up by now.

Realistically some of what does seems fine and he has an idea about a lot of what he talks about. Indeed plenty to seem to be worse on the basics. Body weight and resistance band stuff is fine. The Chinese medicine and alkaline/acidity stuff is harmless but pointless.

Realistically if there are a million quacks in the world then there are good odds some will get lucky with their patients. I'll save miracle plaudits for the man till a proper study is done on the methods...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭Blut2

If Guerrero was nothing but harmless quackery I don't think there would be any conflict. His services would just be eating players free time / money, neither of which would bother the team.

Problems arise when "gurus" like Guerrero give advice to players that contradicts that given by actual medical experts employed by the team, who know what they're talking about. Thats when the drama/conflict starts.

To have a coach and a QB at the same time who are both in the conversation to be GOATs they'd want to be consistently at the right end of the playoff picture. Test of the organization will be when they lose one or both. We've seen plenty of teams implode very quickly in the NFL, if the organization can keep the success and harmony going they will deserve all the admiration in the world.

Foxtrol wrote:
    To have a coach and a QB at the same time who are both in the conversation to be GOATs they'd want to be consistently at the right end of the playoff picture. Test of the organization will be when they lose one or both. We've seen plenty of teams implode very quickly in the NFL, if the organization can keep the success and harmony going they will deserve all the admiration in the world.

Don't forget Bob Kraft, a great owner makes a huge difference too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

Notice all the people who buy into this sh1te are people like yourself who just love to see the Patriots fail. Any idea of disharmony inside the Patriots locker room gives you a boner doesn't it? Sad really, As I said before and I will say it again you are obsessed with the Pats. you spend all of your time talking about the Broncos and the Patriots.

All this talk and yet no evidence to back it up. Even if Bill and Gronk had discussion what does it matter? Has Gronk asked to leave? Have the Pats decided to trade him? Nope you wont find an ounce of evidence to back up the disharmony. Just nothing more than hearsay.

Players and coaches disagree all the time and if this wasn't the Patriots in the new no one would give a **** that a HC said something to one of his best players about his training methods. Something coaches are entitled to do if it affects his abilities in NE.

What it boils down to is Bill probably said something to Gronk and Gronk disagreed but both are professionals and got on with their jobs. After all both went to a Superbowl together 6 months after the so called incident. If you want to call that an issue so be it.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Don't forget Bob Kraft, a great owner makes a huge difference too.

Agreed, but the Patriots weren't doing too fantastic under Kraft either until Bill and Tom came along. Again, we'll see how his ownership goes when one or both of those move on. As an outsider it will be interesting to see.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Agreed, but the Patriots weren't doing too fantastic under Kraft either until Bill and Tom came along. Again, we'll see how his ownership goes when one or both of those move on. As an outsider it will be interesting to see.
    Got to a SB without them; which was huge at the time.
    Then hunted down and got Bill; which was pretty fantastic.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Kraft only hired two head coaches since he bought the Patriots(Parcells was there when he bought them), the first one was Pete Carroll and things just didn't work out for him. The second was Bill and we all know how awesome that has been.

Anyways the first head coach he picked wasn't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,829 ✭✭✭nerd69

Another offseason another overblown pats story itl come to nothing

Is this the pats thread or general bantz...

easy now pats fans ;)

• Advertisement

brinty wrote: »
    Is this the pats thread or general bantz...

easy now pats fans ;)
    For some non-Pats fans, it's always about the Pats, even when it's not :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement