Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Company Discriminates Against Gays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

bjork wrote: »
    So we persecute them until they go out of business,

We've had the FB hate campaign
    Radio interviews with 5 hours
    Flags been hung outside the building

What's next?

Sounds like a plan :rolleyes:

"PERSECUTION OF CHRISTIANS REACHES HISTORIC LEVELS, CONDITIONS SUGGEST WORST IS YET TO COME"

(the capitals are the headlines I copied >not me shouting)

If someone trespassed to put up the flags, go to the cops.

Facebook campaign? Should have thought of that. And if this loon had refused a mix race marriage invitation, it would have been the same or worse.

Radio interview? There is a referendum coming up. It's a hot topic. Could even be the reason they refused.

It's good enough for them. This wasn't about promoting a message, like the cake. This was for a family affair. And I firmly believe they should be able to turn it down if they want, but as much as they believe what strangers do is wrong, others can do the same to them.

reprise wrote: »
    Your business?

What are you talking about?

Nah, just read it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Who appointed you the role of deciding what is and isn't offensive?

I have only ever used the word in context and in response to someone else employing it, oddly enough, always someone LGBTH. Feel free to directly link otherwise.

Yeah for the sake of political correctness lets pretend f4ggot and N1gger are just as offensive as breeder and cracker

EDIT: theres a reason the first two get bleeped out when you type them and the latter two don't .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

Nah, just read it again.

Maybe write it again? explain what business you are talking about and drop the jaded homophobia slur?

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Yeah for the sake of political correctness lets pretend f4ggot and N1gger are just as offensive as breeder and cracker

EDIT: theres a reason the first two get bleeped out when you type them and the latter two don't .

I find b4eeder and c**cker highly offensive.

• Advertisement

Maybe right it again? explain what business you are talking about and drop the jaded homophobia slur?

I don't need to write it again.

Like I said, you were throwing "breeder" around like you had been called it. So I will just keep using "dyke" and "f4ggot" like I had been called it. You know, play the victim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Im just going to ask, if the business was made fulfil the wedding invitations for the homosexual couple, would it not be discrimination towards the owner because they are not allowed follow the beliefs of their religion?
    Only if you believe the ECHR, but what would they know, huh?
    gozunda wrote: »
    Well following a ruling of 2 specific cases by the 2013 European Court of Human Rights -the answer is no - it would not be discrimation against the owner of the business.

Carnacalla> You're getting 2 opposite opinions here. Here's the ruling http://hudoc.echr.coe.int/sites/eng/pages/search.aspx?i=001-115881

It's not too long, but maybe you could tell us what what you think

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'll answer the question!
    Answer is, no one. It wasn't the person discriminated against, it was the subject that they wanted printed.

If a religious person went to a gay printers and wanted something with Leviticus 20:13 printed, would they? Is not printing something you don't agree with discrimination because it falls into one of the 9 catorgories in the equality act? I don't think so, but someone will have to go through that act to see if it applies.

I find b4eeder and c**cker highly offensive.

Im sure you do, and has anyone ever called you either of these?

I don't need to write it again.

See my edit mein grammarfuhrer.
    Like I said, you were throwing "breeder" around like you had been called it. So I will just keep using "dyke" and "f4ggot" like I had been called it. You know, play the victim.

What the hell has that got to do with your "business"? or the destruction of the peoples livelihoods you are callously cheering on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It's the exclusively of victimhood that makes it so attractive to some

Im sure you do, and has anyone ever called you either of these?

Ask me in pm if you are really that interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Carnacalla> You're getting 2 opposite opinions here. Here's the ruling http://hudoc.echr.coe.int/sites/eng/pages/search.aspx?i=001-115881

bjork wrote:

Bjork quoting themselves :pac:

Don't go there - the ruling may not be that long but trying to figure out what the hell Bjork was on about was.

The ECHR not knowing what they are on about! - whoosh (the sound of logic flying way overhead)

Ask me in pm if you are really that interested.

I already know the answer so its fine

Bjork quoting themselves :pac:

Don't go there - the ruling may not be that long but trying to figure out what the hell Bjork was on about was.

I see you left out the quote from yourself. Lost faith in what you said already have you?

I gave Carnacalla the information to decide for themselves.Sorry if that offends you.

I already know the answer so its fine

:rolleyes:

The ECHR not knowing what they are on about! - whoosh (the sound of logic flying way overhead)

It's not the ECHR that doesn't know what they're on about

See my edit mein grammarfuhrer.

What the hell has that got to do with your "business"? or the destruction of the peoples livelihoods you are callously cheering on?

Oh christ.

I said the public can decide not to give you business if they they you are an asshole.

You said the gay guy is a hairdresser in Drogheda and be careful what you wish for.

I said that I cannot speak for that man, but for myself. I personally wouldn't want the business of anyone who took issue with my sexuality, or who held me responsible for the behaviour of all gay people everywhere.

And of course I left your mistake in, you were trying to tell me my post was illegible.

*edit, because that's what "homos" like me do.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I have it read. It's an intresting issue alright.

I think the difference between the UK and Ireland is the fact that Gay marriage is Legal there, but not permitted here. Until it is, I think a business owner should be allowed to deny fulfilling a contract promoting gay-marraige on religous or legal reasons until such a time that the law changed to allow homosexual marraiges.

Oh christ.

I said the public can decide not to give you business if they they you are an asshole.

pot kettle..... ;)
    You said the gay guy is a hairdresser in Drogheda and be careful what you wish for.

I said that I cannot speak for that man, but for myself. I personally wouldn't want the business of anyone who took issue with my sexuality, or who held me responsible for the behaviour of all gay people everywhere.

Ok. But you must equally accept that there are people who may feel that for the sake of going to another printers, a world of misery and spite has been poured over all of the individuals concerned and all of them are as likely to suffer as each other.
    And of course I left your mistake in, you were trying to tell me my post was illegible.

I apologise if it read like that.
    *edit, because that's what "homos" like me do.

S'cool. I'm a closet grammerfuhrer "breeder" meself.

• Advertisement

I see you left out the quote from yourself. Lost faith in what you said already have you?

I gave Carnacalla the information to decide for themselves.Sorry if that offends you.

My quote left itself out - but the one quoting yourself stayed in :pac:

Nothing offends me - unlike the issue of the printer being offended that someone asked him for a wedding invite - how dare they!

Do you honestly think the ECHR ruling is suddenly going to change? Seriously?

It's not the ECHR that doesn't know what they're on about

That's NOT what you said :pac:
    bjork wrote:

That's NOT what you said :pac:

Opps sorry> I should have added a sarcasm tag for non native english speakers.

Just so it's clear>
    Originally Posted by bjork

the "but what would they know, huh" > Is the sarcastic part

and this is the definition of sarcasm I am using

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

And he objected to the event because it was a homosexual union. Just so we don't pass completely through the looking mirror.
    So you agree he was objecting to the event, not the homosexual asking for invitations to the event. We got there in the end :)
    No that has not been shown. The printer printed invites but he refused to print invites for a customer who is gay.
    Which is not the same as refusing to print invites for a customer because he is gay. Most specifically, not illegal.
    With regards religous belief and the workplace - you might be interested a fairly recent European Court of Human Rights Case that ruled: Individual conscience or religious belief, however sincerely held, does not provide a free pass from the requirements of anti-discrimination law
    It didn't rule that non discriminatory acts could be deemed discriminatory just because they involved a gay person not getting what they wanted though, did they?
    OK But you must surely be aware that one of the 9 grounds in the Equal Status Act is civil status. Effectively this means that if a good or service is provided to a couple in a heterosexual marriage then to refuse to provide the same good or service to a couple in a civil partnership because they are in a civil partnership is in fact discrimination under the Equal Status Acts 2000-2014.
    Would it be fair to say that the couple printing the invitations to their civil partnership weren't actually in a civil partnership?
    So.... they couldn't actually be discriminated against due to being in a civil partnership, any more than an engaged woman could be discriminated against due to being married?

Opps sorry> I should have added a sarcasm tag for non native english speakers.

That wouldn't be a racist comment would it?

Your quote reads literally.
    bjork wrote:
    " :pac:

Nothing offends me - unlike the issue of the printer being offended that someone asked him for a wedding invite - how dare they!

I thought you said they were not looking for wedding invites on account of the fact that they cannot get married in Ireland?

Changing your story again?

WAIT

Don't answer that.....

Lets puts this one to bed first:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94663096&postcount=1552

Your quote reads literally. "Only if you don't believe the ECHR" :pac:

I hope this clears things up for you

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94665641&postcount=1674

Your quote reads literally. "Only if you don't believe the ECHR" :pac:

What race are you?

It's notoriously difficult to tell from text alone.

Apres:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94663096&postcount=1552

• Advertisement

No I'm afraid it doesn't but thanks anyway

Original post and reply by Bjork (with added context!)
    Carnacalla wrote:
    Im just going to ask, if the business was made fulfil the wedding invitations for the homosexual couple, would it not be discrimination towards the owner because they are not allowed follow the beliefs of their religion?
    Bjork wrote:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement