Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Company Discriminates Against Gays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

bjork wrote: »
    We can, but we can't force the lad in the Vatican to be head of it

Hey maybe I'll force you to be the head of my religion :)

No don't understand your point. We were talking about 'made up' religions.

You said:
    Bjork wrote:
    Sure, we can all make up our own religion and call it whatever we like.

There are many religions worldwide. Many have 'heads'. Perhaps you could clarify?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

of course it's relevant

Your complaining about the power of the majority ie "catholics". But the man identifies as being catholic.

Does the printer identify as catholic? > Unknown

So by blaming catholics > the gay man is discriminating against himself

Bjork you do poorly enough in terms of dealing with what I have actually said to be wasting your time inventing patent untruths.

I never blamed Catholics. I was responding to Reprises point, that is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

Bjork you do poorly enough in terms of dealing with what I have actually said to be wasting your time inventing patent untruths.

I never blamed Catholics. I was responding to Reprises point, that is all.

So who are you blaming?
    Can you give us an example of a organisation or institution you feel do not discriminate against homosexuals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

fran17 wrote: »
    So who are you blaming?
    Can you give us an example of a organisation or institution you feel do not discriminate against homosexuals?

We were blaming the Catholics until it turned out the gay man identified as Catholic> although his own version, not the pope's version.

I believe he is a drogheda catholic, not the roman kind > I don't remember that split in the church, but there you go

Maybe we could still blame the roman catholic splitters?

We were blaming the Catholics until it turned out the gay man identified as Catholic> although his own version, not the pope's version.

I believe he is a drogheda catholic, not the roman kind > I don't remember that split in the church, but there you go

There is no 'blame' imo. Catholicism has been raised but so has a host of other religions and the only reason we know one of the prospective couple is Catholic - is that he said it himself.

Many Catholics In Ireland don't follow every ordnance of the RCC - if they did why would many churches have falling congregations and falling number of clergy. This man is no different in not following or necessarily agreeing with every tenant of that faith. What I have seen is the presumption that the other party(s) are also Catholic. Remember that there are many variety of christians out there.

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    There is no 'blame' imo. Catholicism has been raised but so has a host of other religions and the only reason we know one of the prospective couple is Catholic - is that he said it himself.

Many Catholics In Ireland don't follow every ordnance of the RCC - if they did why would many churches have falling congregations and falling number of clergy. This man is no different in not following or necessarily agreeing with every tenant of that faith. What I have seen is the presumption that the other party(s) are also Catholic. Remember that there are many variety of christians out there.

Don't worry, that presumption is not made by me, I pointed out a few pages ago it was unknown if the printers were catholic.

He can pick and choose what bits of the catholism he wants, if he wants to identify as catholic, go for it. But as far as I am aware Catholics and Christians have the same stance on homosexual marriage. He can't complain when someone follows the rules of his club, just because he doesn't.

Don't worry, that presumption is not made by me, I pointed out a few pages ago it was unknown if the printers were catholic.

He can pick and choose what bits of the catholism he wants, if he wants to identify as catholic, go for it. But as far as I am aware Catholics and Christians have the same stance on homosexual marriage. He can't complain when someone follows the rules of his club, just because he doesn't.

Ok I see what you are saying but that's not necessarily true. Many Christian denominations have varying views on homosexual marriage - one for example the Community of Christ.
    The Community of Christ officially decided to extend the sacrament of marriage to same-sex couples where gay marriage is legal, to provide covenant commitment ceremonies where it is not legal, and to allow the ordination of people in same-sex relationships to the priesthood.

http://www.cofchrist.org

Tbh an individuals religous convictions are private matters relevant to a persons private home life and in church. The customer was not using his religion as an excuse to complain about anything imo.

Ok I see what you are saying but that's not necessarily true. Many Christian denominations have varying views on homosexual marriage - one for example the Community of Christ.

http://www.cofchrist.org/page-not-found?aspxerrorpath=/usaconf/

Tbh an individuals religous convictions are private matters relevant to a persons private home life and in church. The customer was not using his religion as an excuse for anything imo.

:D If the Mormons identify closer with his beliefs, then he should join them.

Oh yes of course,silly me.The Drogheda Catholics split from Rome when they rewrote the bible to suit there likings....
    I believe there traditional dress includes a tinfoil hat....

Oh yes of course,silly me.The Drogheda Catholics split from Rome when they rewrote the bible to suit there likings....

Apparently he's a Mormon now disguised as a catholic

Joesph Smith re- interpreted the bible for the Drogheda Sect.

gozunda> I disagree it's not relevant. Does this guy have a history of joining clubs totally at odds with his lifestyle and mis-represtning himself? > Yes

• Advertisement

:D If the Mormons identify closer with his beliefs, then he should join them.

No that wouldn't work 100% either.While they don't see homosexuality as a sin per say,acting on the attraction is in there beliefs.Oh well we'll just have to keep looking for him I guess....

So who are you blaming?

Who is blaming anyone? What has blame to do with my post.

if the Mormons identify closer with his beliefs, then he should join them.

If you look closer the community of Christ are Separate from the mainstream Mormon church (who all fall under the Christian umbrella)

We are not questioning his beliefs imo. You said
    Bjork wrote:
    But as far as I am aware Catholics and Christians have the same stance on homosexual marriage

That was just one example of variance of belief within 'Christianity' on SSM. So no not all catholics and christians (catholoics do belong to the christian tradition btw) have 'the same stance on SSM. And that even alone does not prevent any individual taking their own standing from any particular religion.

1) Apparently he's a Mormon now disguised as a catholic
    Joesph Smith re- interpreted the bible for the Drogheda Sect.

2) I disagree it's not relevant. Does this guy have a history of joining clubs totally at odds with his lifestyle and mis-represtning himself? > Yes

Bjork 1) that is largely facetious and nothing to do what was said. I would prefer to stay with the actual discussion.

2) how is he " misrepresenting himself"? he is the same as millions of other Catholics out there. It is very difficult to be perfect in that sense. I even believe there is phrase attributed to Jesus that covers it pretty much.

John 8:6 John 8:7

They were trying to trap him into saying something they could use against him, but Jesus stooped down and wrote in the dust with his finger.

Then they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her."

His religous beliefs as said are a private matter for his home life and church. He hasn't said otherwise and he is not using his beliefs to affect others.

Who is blaming anyone? What has blame to do with my post.

You used the word blame,not I.But your right,you were being a bit dramatic and flamboyant there.Let me rephrase,If not Catholics,then who would you like to hold to account for the invitations that were refused to be printed on religious grounds?

Bjork 1) that is largely facetious and nothing to do what was said. I would prefer to stay with the actual discussion.

2) how is he " misrepresenting himself"? he is the same as millions of other Catholics out there. It is very difficult to be perfect in that sense. I even believe there is phrase attributed to Jesus that covers it pretty much.

His religous beliefs as said are a private matter for his home life and church. He hasn't said otherwise and he is not using his beliefs to affect others.

He is a hypocrite.
    He is berating printer for his beliefs when he is a member of a club that believes the same.

If it's private, why did he put it in the national papers? Or is he following his version of privacy aswell?

It would be like me joining the hells angels and demanding they slow down because I can't keep up with them on my push bike, while secretly having a lot of high powered motorbikes at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

You have just classified most of Ireland as not Catholic...

You used the word blame,not I.But your right,you were being a bit dramatic and flamboyant there.Let me rephrase,If not Catholics,then who would you like to hold to account for the invitations that were refused to be printed on religious grounds?

Well the printer is of [unknown] religion but to be honest that is immaterial as personal religous belief is a matter for the home and church.

Removing any specific groups or beliefs and going back to the facts - there is an instance of a business making a statement refusing a customer a order or service on an aspect of their sexuality.

Which if I understand correctly is covered by discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation.

The customer would be within his rights to make a complaint to the relevant body on that alone.

He is a hypocrite.
    He is berating printer for his beliefs when he is a member of a club that believes the same.

That is your opinion and completly unwarranted imo. We do not know what 'club' the printer belongs to if any. The matter in question is to do with a business transaction governed by civil and business law. Not religion.
    If it's private, why did he put it in the national papers? Or is he following his version of privacy As well?

Who knows?
    It would be like me joining the hells angels and demanding they slow down because I can't keep up with them on my push bike, while secretly having a lot of high powered motorbikes at home.

No don't get that one either sorry. I think we need to leave the religion at home or in church / temple where it firmly belongs.

B_Wayne wrote: »
    You have just classified most of Ireland as not Catholic...

Yes "B_Wayne".That.is.what.I.done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Removing any specific groups or beliefs and going back to the facts - there is an instance of a business making a statement refusing a customer a order or service on an aspect of their sexuality. Which if I understand correctly is covered by discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation.
    Or not, since the printer says he refused the order based on the nature of the event, and quite clearly said he wasn't against homosexuals.

Just so we don't lose sight of what actually happened :D

Well the printer is of [unknown] religion but to be honest that is immaterial as personal religous belief is a matter for the home and church.

Removing any specific groups or beliefs and going back to the facts - there is an instance of a business making a statement refusing a customer a order or service on an aspect of their sexuality.

Which if I understand correctly is covered by discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation.

The customer would be within his rights to make a complaint to the relevant body on that alone.

So one should ignore there beliefs and faith when outside the home and church?

No this is not.This is an instance of a man standing up for what he believes in.And an instance of another man not respecting that purely for publicity and lines on a newspaper.There is numerous publishing companies which he is free to avail of.

Absolam wrote: »
    Or not, since the printer says he refused the order based on the nature of the event, and quite clearly said he wasn't against homosexuals.

Just so we don't lose sight of what actually happened :D

And he objected to the event because it was a homosexual union. Just so we don't pass completely through the looking mirror.

Yes "B_Wayne".That.is.what.I.done.

Vast majority of country do not agree with church's stance on homosexuality..... Do you view Catholics who don't agree with church's stance on homosexuality as real Catholics? Also, why pray tell are you throwing my username in quotation marks?

So one should ignore there beliefs and faith when outside the home and church?

That was not said.
    no this is not.This is an instance of a man standing up for what he believes in.And an instance of another man not respecting that purely for publicity and lines on a newspaper.There is numerous publishing companies which he is free to avail of.

No simply the facts we know is that a customer walked into a shop and was refused custom. => that happened.

That both parties then publicised the matter was their decision.

The remainder is speculation

Their facebook page is a rather creepy load of biblical crazy tbh. A business is not a religious entity. Doesn't sound like they will be taking a case but it's a matter of time for someone in similar circumstances to.
    https://www.facebook.com/BeulahPrint?fref=ts

That was not said.

No simply the facts we know is that a customer walked into a shop and was refused custom. => that happened.

That both parties then publicised the matter was their decision.

The remainder is speculation

The facts we know is that a customer walked into a printers and was refused custom because it was not a service the printer provided. => that happened.

You used the word blame,not I.

That is completely untrue.
    So who are you blaming?

That was your first interaction with me on this thread (at least recently). I only used the word 'blame' to make it explicit that I was not blaming anyone after Bjork mentioned blaming Catholics.
    So by blaming catholics > the gay man is discriminating against himself

you were being a bit dramatic and flamboyant there.

:rolleyes:
    Let me rephrase,If not Catholics, then who would you like to hold to account for the invitations that were refused to be printed on religious grounds?

If the relevant authorities find this to be discrimination then the individuals responsible. I don't make a habit of going around prejudicing entire groups of people based on the actions of a tiny minority, do you?

The facts we know is that a customer walked into a printers and was refused custom because it was not a service the printer provided. => that happened.

No that has not been shown. The printer printed invites but he refused to print invites for a customer who is gay.

With regards religous belief and the workplace - you might be interested a fairly recent European Court of Human Rights Case that ruled:
    Individual conscience or religious belief, however sincerely held, does not provide a free pass from the requirements of anti-discrimination law”,
    “... the Court has drawn a bright line between this right to religious expression and attempts to use conscience or religion to justify discrimination. The State has a legitimate aim, indeed an obligation, to provide and facilitate equal access to services. As such, it is well within its rights to prohibit the withholding of services to same-sex couples, even if this is purportedly on the grounds of conscience or sincerely held religious belief”.

http://www.iccl.ie/news/2013/01/15/european-court-crucifix-case-draws-“bright-line”-between-religious-freedom-and-discrimination-says-iccl.html

• Advertisement

You truly have crossed the Rubicon of sense... These are the words of the printer themselves. There is no ambiguity.

Yes, there are differences between civil partnerships and religious weddings, however, one thing I think we would all agree on, is that they both are public declarations of an intended life long commitment. The Bible teaches clearly that marriage is between a man and a woman so, for homosexual people to make that commitment is contrary to God’s word and we could not support it. ‘And He answered and said, "Have you not read that He who created them from the beginning made them male and female, for this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.’” Matthew 19.4&5

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement